Edvard Munch's 'The Scream' Goes for $119M: Do You Like the Painting?

You might not know Edvard Munch by name, but there's a good chance you've seen his masterpiece, "The Scream," somewhere before. The 1890s oil-and-pastel is one of the most iconic paintings in the art world, right up there with Picasso's "Guernica", Van Gogh's "Starry Night," and da Vinci's "Mona Lisa." After sitting in the hands of Norwegian billionaire Petter Olsen for his entire life, the 1895 version of the painting sold to an unknown buyer for a record-breaking $119.9 million at an auction.

We say the 1895 "version" because, believe it or not, it isn't the only original. Olsen's 1895 pastel-only version is one of four. There were two done in oil, one in pastel (Olsen's), and one in egg tempera. They were all completed between the years 1893 and 1910. According to The Daily Mail, Olsen's father was a friend and patron of Munch's, and presumably bought the original from the painter himself.

Of the pastel, Olsen said, "I have lived with this work all of my life, and its power and energy have only increased with time. Now however, I feel the moment has come to offer the rest of the world a chance to own and appreciate this remarkable work." He put it up for auction with Sotheby's in New York, and started the bidding at $40 million. The final price beat Picasso's "Nude, Green Leaves and Bust," which sold for $106.5 million in 2010, but Van Gogh's "Portrait of Dr. Gachet" would still hold the record if adjusted for inflation.

Of course, art is always somewhat subjective -- in the eye of the beholder, as they say. Most of us couldn't imagine being able to afford an art classic like "The Scream" but... Do you even like it? Let us know! And while you're at it, throw up some pictures of your favorite pieces of art. We'd love to see them!

• Callaway 2012/05/03 19:51:09
    Callaway
    +2
    I like it for $50.00 not 119m to me it looks like "seasick boy on ship".
  • A Found... Callaway 2012/05/03 22:33:02 (edited)
    A Founding Father
    Yes, I've felt that way a couple of times when the seas were tossing. Wouldn't want the picture on my wall to remind me of that feeling.
  • Ticka 2012/05/03 19:49:21
    Ticka
    +5
    He is great, scream is excellent, but this is my favorite:
    munch the sun
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/05/03 19:46:46
    NarcolepticGoat
    +17
    I love the painting, not the price.

the scream cat
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Narcole... 2012/05/03 20:34:39
  • U-Dog Narcole... 2012/05/04 06:31:38
    U-Dog
    +3
    I think I would pay more for the kitty version myself lol.
  • caius madison 2012/05/03 19:28:23
    caius madison
    +2
    It is a classic. It is also very influential. I would never pay that for it, but yes, I like it.
  • Miriam Murdy 2012/05/03 19:23:24
    Miriam Murdy
    +4
    This is one of my favorite paintings. I was fortunate to view the oil painting of this image in a museum collection years ago. A simple childlike image creates such a strong impact on the viewer. I like many other paintings that Evard Munch created as well.
  • the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA 2012/05/03 19:10:28
    the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    But to pay 120 Million for it. I could live on that amount for life. I can draw that same picture or anybody can.
  • CREW grand 2012/05/03 19:10:04
    CREW grand
    +2
    But the movie was okay.

Don
  • Юлия Чмелёва 2012/05/03 19:06:39
    Юлия Чмелёва
    +4
    i like history of this pisture, how it was painted)
  • Razoreye001 2012/05/03 18:49:32
    Razoreye001
    +3
    It's a Picasso what did you think it was going to be worth, personally I am not that big a fan of impressionism but I can appreciate the artwork. I prefer other styles such as
    picasso worth personally fan impressionism artwork styles
    I like these works better.
  • Inquisi... Razorey... 2012/05/03 20:09:10
    Inquisitve Kat
    +1
    ...It's not a Picasso... it's a Munch.
    Those art beautiful, however.
  • Razorey... Inquisi... 2012/05/03 21:50:16
    Razoreye001
    +2
    your right my mistake.
  • Grammar... Razorey... 2012/05/03 20:30:03
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    I like the top one.
    ...the bottom one, not so much. There's one in the bar next door quite similar to it, painted by a local guy from the neighborhood. Reminds me of Def Leppard's album cover & some over-zealous fan in awe of it/them or something.
  • Razorey... Grammar... 2012/05/03 22:00:19 (edited)
    Razoreye001
    +1
    The bottom is in a style called futurism and you either love it or hate it it was a style invented in Italy in the mid 20's and early 30's but after world war two the Soviet union became obsessed with this art style and established the Russian school of Futurism which lasted till the 60's, the one on top is in the style of art nouveau which was a style popular in the early 1910's in France but never really became mainstream and is considered by many a fad that is past it's time but I like it. Both styles have their fans today including me.

art nouveau style popular 1910s france mainstream fad styles fans
    (Example of futurism)

nouveau style popular 1910s france mainstream fad styles fans futurism
    (example of art nouveau)
  • Grammar... Razorey... 2012/05/04 16:45:36
    Grammar Freak
    Yeah, I like art nouveau.
    ...always have.
    Tiffany's lamps too.
  • addie Razorey... 2012/05/03 20:54:12
    addie
    Your avatar is my beloved, brilliant, Friedrich Nietzsche and you think, "The Scream, " is a Picasso?

I wont comment on your taste in art because good instincts, taste, education, influence one's appreciation of art, so, what one likes is very subjective, but , you know...
  • Razorey... addie 2012/05/03 21:52:05
    Razoreye001
    +1
    I do indeed know that, It's good to see someone who appreciates the works and philosophy of Nietzsche as much as I do. Actually I was wrong about the scream it's actually a Munch.
  • addie Razorey... 2012/05/03 22:03:24
    addie
    +1
    It was petty to ride you about that mistake. You should know better, if you are smart enough to appreciate Friedrich Nietzsche, but I am sorry, for my rudeness.
    I just felt so inslted for Munch. lol
    My husband (he died) would have loved your bottom picture. It is not my thing, but he really would have loved it.lol
  • Razorey... addie 2012/05/03 22:13:19
    Razoreye001
    +1
    Yeah, I don't usually study many forms of mainstream art, the one on the bottom is futurism the one on top is art nouveau. To be fair to me I just got back from finals. Don't worry about it my Art History professor loves to jump down people's throats for those kinds of things so I'm used to it. the last final I had taken was environmental science in case your interested.
  • flaca BN-0 addie 2012/05/04 01:38:27
    flaca BN-0
    +1
    your graciousness is appreciated... nicely done.
  • L1 2012/05/03 18:45:43
    L1
    +1
    I love this painting. It invokes powerful emotion and is under-appreciated.
  • Sour Dime 2012/05/03 18:43:15
    Sour Dime
    +2
    not bad but not something i would buy for more than $25.
  • DS in Oak Ridge NC 2012/05/03 18:34:36 (edited)
    DS in Oak Ridge NC
    +1
    Love it, but in his time, Munch had to use a great deal of artistic skill just to say OMG.
  • shiroidenkou1994 2012/05/03 18:31:40 (edited)
    shiroidenkou1994
    +1
    I like it. I wouldn't pay more than, say, $150 for it personally, but that's just me.

as for my favoured works of art, I like this:
    pay 150 personally favoured works art

It's a painting of the ζ Aurigae (zeta Aurigae) star system. (it's an artist's imagination of what it looks like, obviously, as no-one's ever been there.)

I like this one, too.
    works art painting aurigae zeta aurigae star artists imagination no-ones
  • blackrings70 2012/05/03 18:27:25
    blackrings70
    +1
    But not 119.9 million worth of like.
  • flaca BN-0 2012/05/03 18:25:10
    flaca BN-0
    +3
    That painting is highly revered for a reason. Here is a relatively modest sized rectangle that has the power to communicate something that resonates with all human beings.
    The madness of the swirls: the maelstrom and the cacophony of contrasting colors that rage up against one another. Yes it's a truly great painting.
    Munch had his own "emotions" wrapped up in it - his own message, yet anyone can draw a message from it. To me, it always represented the totality of all the suffering of every organism on this planet in one instant of time. Something so colossal it makes my mind boggle.
  • Smokey 2012/05/03 18:23:44
    Smokey
    +5
    The picture above went for $119 million. The picture below, a mother needs only $18 a month to feed her starving baby.

child
  • VERYwis... Smokey 2012/05/03 18:30:32
    VERYwiseguy
    +1
    Exactly people with that kind of money just to show off need to be robbed by me so I can help people with the money I stole from them. lol
  • Smokey VERYwis... 2012/05/03 18:50:20
    Smokey
    +2
    Naw, don't rob them. Just continue to press ahead and work hard! I wouldn't want them to arrest a nice person like yoursef that thinks about others FIRST! :) lol

win the lottery
  • VERYwis... Smokey 2012/05/03 18:58:43 (edited)
    VERYwiseguy
    +2
    My girlfriend and I talk about this often if we won lot's of money how we couldn't live with ourselves if we didn't help the unfortunate especially innocent kids.She comes from money,my family borrowed money off the church mouse.lol Her mom had save the children and such charities where she got pics and letters from the kids.And would send them gifts.She was a great woman!
  • Smokey VERYwis... 2012/05/03 19:03:00
    Smokey
    +2
    Sounds like you have a keeper my friend! So, when are you guys going to get married? :)

That is so admirable that you two think that way. I'm a good person, but I also think that money can ruin people. Look at the Hollywood movie stars, and look at Junior Seau who had millions and fame and he took his own life.

I think people like you and your girlfriend will do well with money because you guys have a great heart and great attitude!
  • VERYwis... Smokey 2012/05/03 19:09:04
    VERYwiseguy
    +2
    Yeah but the money we don't have and we're surrounded lately by people that have it cry poor mouth are greedy,self absorbed and many other bad traits and characteristics.I had it once and so did she it didn't change us.So I think (know) it wouldn't if we scored really big loot.
  • Grammar... Smokey 2012/05/03 20:35:28
    Grammar Freak
    +2
    Some of the movie stars have done a hell of a lot of good with their money & influence.
    People love to hate Anjelina Jolie & Brad Pitt, but they've both done tremendous things.
    George Clooney is one of my heroes... he's a true gentleman while remaining human & I have the utmost respect for him (not to mention that I adored his aunt).
  • Smokey Grammar... 2012/05/04 16:32:56
    Smokey
    Those people you've mentioned have done tremendous acts of kindness in some communities and have made a difference to some, but I really think that some people over use the word "hero."

I am a War veteran (US Army) and several of my buddies that didn't make it back home are heroes in my book.

fallen soldiers
  • Grammar... Smokey 2012/05/04 16:52:58
    Grammar Freak
    Sure, but that doesn't negate the difference Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt have made in the lives of literally thousands of people... & continue to impact even more people's lives.
    I truly respect them both. They are heroes to many many individuals & communities & even some entire regions.
    G Clooney is one of my personal heroes because he is always charming, always chivalrous, is very political, stands by his values, stands by his convictions, has a fantastic sense of humor & is extremely intelligent, not to mention is as or more honest than the average guy... all while being able to make the average guy feel at ease while around him. He's like the modern day Cary Grant & likely the last of his kind.

Soldiers are also heroes, but of a very different kind.
  • Smokey Grammar... 2012/05/04 18:53:08
    Smokey
    +1
    That's very nice that they have touched so many people's lives. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me.

Smokey
  • VERYwis... VERYwis... 2012/05/03 19:04:42
    VERYwiseguy
    +1
    Man I'm tired I'm leaving words out I had to edit again. Damn alzheimer's!!! ;)
  • Grabitz VERYwis... 2012/05/03 20:23:24
    Grabitz
    +2
    Is that what it is ? I forgot .

2014/10/01 18:17:25