Dr. Laura's pity party

StarrGazerr 2010/08/18 14:19:52
Dr. Laura's pity party
Wednesday, Aug 18, 2010 00:18 ET
Joan Walsh

So Dr. Laura Schlessinger told CNN's Larry King Tuesday night that she's giving up her radio show, after being criticized for an on-air flameout in which she abused a black caller and used the word "nigger" 11 times. "I want to regain my First Amendment rights," she told King. "I want to be able to say what’s on my mind and in my heart and what I think is helpful and useful without somebody getting angry, some special interest group deciding this is the time to silence a voice of dissent and attack affiliates, attack sponsors. I’m sort of done with that."

Where to start?

Like a lot of right-wingers lately (see the so-called "ground zero mosque" demonizers), Schlessinger shows a poor grasp of what the First Amendment does. It protects us from government abridging our speech rights; it doesn't protect us from other Americans deciding we're racially divisive idiots when we use the word "nigger" 11 times in a a single exchange with one caller. Schlessinger can study up on our Constitution while she's taking a break from radio, and if she decides to be a do-gooder (it can happen after a brush with infamy; look at Chuck Colson) she can hold Constitution study groups with the under-educated Republicans who want to shut down mosques and deny citizenship to children of illegal immigrants born in the U.S.

Then there's the claim she can't be "helpful and useful" under the current circumstances – which seems to indicate she can only be "helpful and useful" if she can use the word "nigger" 11 times in one of her rants without being criticized. Schlessinger has gotten away with being "helpful and useful" in all her homophobic, sexist, right-wing glory for almost three decades. It's amazing this single run-in with American decency has finally made her retreat.

To me, the worst thing about listening to Schlessinger that day wasn't the use of the N-word (OK, I used the actual word above because I hate the euphemism – she didn't say the N-word, she said "nigger," with all its hateful sting -- but I can't use it any more without feeling ill), but her hateful hectoring of a black woman with a white husband who was clearly looking for wisdom about how to handle the at best awkward, at worst racist situations she kept encountering with clueless white folks, including her husband's family. The caller stayed calm throughout, putting up with the N-word with only mild protest, continuing to engage, hoping for helpful advice from Schlessinger. God bless her, I hope she finds it somewhere.

I was feeling a tinge of sympathy as Schlessinger described herself as "contrite and remorseful" about the situation, and apologized again. Then she undermined her contrition with petulant whining about losing her First Amendment rights. It's shocking how right-wingers once attacked the alleged "victim mentality" of allegedly politically correct minorities, but now that victim mentality seems to be all they have. They're victims if they can't use the N-word freely, if they can't spew idiotic, divisive racial "philosophies," to use Schlessinger's words, if they have to suffer a Muslim community center anywhere near Ground Zero. Sadly, Schlessinger's not the worst of them: Rapacious Blackstone Group chairman Stephen Schwarzman compared himself to Poland, for God's sake, being invaded by Hitler, because President Obama wants to raise taxes on the top 1 percent of American earners. What cry-babies they are. Watch Dr. Laura go from contrition to self-pitying right-wing defiance in a flash, here:

Read More: http://www.salon.com/news/media_criticism/index.ht...

• morris44 2010/08/18 19:43:01
    morris44
    I listened to a discussion on this with a panel of 3 black men and 1 white man. I heard the replay of Schlessinger's conversation with the woman.

Schlessinger did something that many talk radio people do. She changed the entire direction of the conversation and led it to a point where she could argue her views. In this case she wanted to talk about what is racist and what isn't. I assume she did this because of all the "right is racist" comment in American right now.

The woman, an obvious fan of Schlessingers prior to this interaction, wanted to know how to deal with percieved racist comments and questions that her husband's family often proposed to her. A truly concerned person would have responded with suggestions to the woman to communicate her feelings to the family etc.

Instead, Schlessinger ask for examples of the comments etc. This allowed her to immediately say "That's not racist." and get in an argument over that. But the issue wasn't whether the comments by the family were definitively racist (and who gets to define that anyway), the issue was the woman percieved them as racist. Dealing with the woman's feelings was the issue.

Schlessinger wanted to argue what is racist because she and others like her want to change the definition of what is racist. In fact, they...

Schlessinger wanted to argue what is racist because she and others like her want to change the definition of what is racist. In fact, they want to convince everyone that no words or acts are racist. As long as the perpetrator says "I'm not racist".

Her worst comment was when she suggested that racism no longer exists in the U.S. because we have a Black president. Ignorant.
  • Lisa 2010/08/18 19:36:49
    Lisa
    Well, I guess we should be happy for her, she can say the n word all she wants now... Except she won't be getting paid to do it, and she won't be offending so many people at once... awwwwwwwwwwww guess happy paid offending people awwwwwwwwwwww
    +2
    just go away quietly
  • CeeCee47 2010/08/18 14:33:14 (edited)
    CeeCee47
    +1
    She wants to regain her First Amendment rights, WOW, another

regain amendment
  • MOM - LOL@Silly.St.Sarah.of... 2010/08/18 14:23:32 (edited)
    MOM - LOL@Silly.St.Sarah.of.Wasilly
    +2
    They should have tossed her out long ago.... she stank.

tossed stank

Good-bye to rubbish.

2014/10/31 11:29:52