Dr. Ben Carson Unknown

Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET 2012/02/19 00:26:13

Benjamin Carson was born in Detroit, Michigan. His mother Sonya had dropped out of school in the third grade, and married when she was only 13. When Benjamin Carson was only eight, his parents divorced, and Mrs. Carson was left to raise Benjamin and his older brother Curtis on her own. She worked at two, sometimes three, jobs at a time to provide for her boys.

Benjamin and his brother fell farther and farther behind in school. In fifth grade, Carson was at the bottom of his class. His classmates called him "dummy" and he developed a violent, uncontrollable temper.

Benjamin Carson Biography Photo
When Mrs. Carson saw Benjamin's failing grades, she determined to turn her sons' lives around. She sharply limited the boys' television watching and refused to let them outside to play until they had finished their homework each day. She required them to read two library books a week and to give her written reports on their reading even though, with her own poor education, she could barely read what they had written.

Within a few weeks, Carson astonished his classmates by identifying rock samples his teacher had brought to class. He recognized them from one of the books he had read. "It was at that moment that I realized I wasn't stupid," he recalled later. Carson continued to amaze his classmates with his newfound knowledge and within a year he was at the top of his class.

The hunger for knowledge had taken hold of him, and he began to read voraciously on all subjects. He determined to become a physician, and he learned to control the violent temper that still threatened his future. After graduating with honors from his high school, he attended Yale University, where he earned a degree in Psychology.

Benjamin Carson Biography Photo
From Yale, he went to the Medical School of the University of Michigan, where his interest shifted from psychiatry to neurosurgery. His excellent hand-eye coordination and three-dimensional reasoning skills made him a superior surgeon. After medical school he became a neurosurgery resident at the world-famous Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. At age 32, he became the hospital's Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery.

In 1987, Carson made medical history with an operation to separate a pair of Siamese twins. The Binder twins were born joined at the back of the head. Operations to separate twins joined in this way had always failed, resulting in the death of one or both of the infants. Carson agreed to undertake the operation. A 70-member surgical team, led by Dr. Carson, worked for 22 hours. At the end, the twins were successfully separated and can now survive independently.

Carson's other surgical innovations have included the first intra-uterine procedure to relieve pressure on the brain of a hydrocephalic fetal twin, and a hemispherectomy, in which an infant suffering from uncontrollable seizures has half of its brain removed. This stops the seizures, and the remaining half of the brain actually compensates for the missing hemisphere.

Benjamin Carson Biography Photo
In addition to his medical practice, Dr. Carson is in constant demand as a public speaker, and devotes much of his time to meeting with groups of young people. In 2008, the White House announced that Benjamin Carson would receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor.

Dr. Carson's books include a memoir, Gifted Hands, and a motivational book, Think Big.Carson says the letters of "Think Big" stand for the following:

http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/car1bio-1

• Dwight PWCM 2013/03/19 22:11:26
    Dwight PWCM
    Seems to me it was his Mother who saw the need to get past the welfare system. It was she who encouraged her sons to excell, not GovCo. She could have been like a million other welfare Mom's and not cared. Or carson and his brother could have been like millions of other welfare sons and rejected his mom's attitude and joined a gang.

Instead, we see a shinning example of the thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, of young people whose minds are wasted.

If the GovCo system is so great, why don't we see these bright young minds excell daily? Why is Ben Carson one of only a handfull who excape the treachery of the GovCo System?
  • jeane 2013/03/19 18:30:59
    jeane
    What a testimony!
    +1
    An extraordinary man - I recommend that everyone read his book: America the Beautiful: Rediscovering What Made This Nation Great

Well worth the time to read -- he loves this nation and writes as well as he speaks.

" What is America becoming? Or, more importantly, what can she be if we reclaim a vision for the things that made her great in the first place?
    In America the Beautiful, Dr. Ben Carson helps us learn from our past in order to chart a better course for our future.
    From his personal ascent from inner-city poverty to international medical and humanitarian acclaim, Carson shares experiential insights that help us understand
    ... what is good about America
    ... where we have gone astray
    ... which fundamental beliefs have guided America from her founding into preeminence among nations Written by a man who has experienced America's best and worst firsthand, America the Beautiful is at once alarming, convicting, and inspiring. You'll gain new perspectives on our nation's origins, our Judeo-Christian heritage, our educational system, capitalism versus socialism, our moral fabric, healthcare, and much more.
    An incisive manifesto of the values that shaped America's past and must shape her future, America the Beautiful calls us all to use our God-given talents to improve our lives, our communities, our nation, and our world."
  • Sodahead Founders are Fascists 2013/03/19 15:33:30
    Sodahead Founders are Fascists
    +2
    That is why we need to cut funding for libraries. Just another example of affirmative action.
  • Charles E 2012/02/20 21:41:42
    Charles E
    +1
    His mothers determination helped make him the success he became.

Congratulations to him for his success, and her for guiding him in the right way.
  • Bob, the reasonable one 2012/02/19 05:13:58
    Bob, the reasonable one
    +1
    I'll probably have my mancard taken from me but I first heard of him when I watched Oprah interview him on her show......damn!, my mancard just disappeared :)
  • Latti I... Bob, th... 2012/02/19 05:26:52
  • Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2012/02/19 04:31:36
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +1
    I didn't know this. Thank you so much for posting it and teaching me something new.
  • Ozzyboy 2012/02/19 03:26:19
    Ozzyboy
    +2
    This great man was featured in Parade magazine a few years back. His story should be told everywhere and often. Great mother to work so hard on helping her children.
    Thanks for a good post Latrice.
  • TooSweet 2012/02/19 02:29:56
    TooSweet
    +2
    Isn't that the guy who played Venus Flytrap on WKRP in Cincinati? Venus Flytrap wkrp
  • Latti I... TooSweet 2012/02/19 02:33:27
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    LOL, no.
  • TooSweet Latti I... 2012/02/19 02:39:38
    TooSweet
    +1
    Hey,L.
  • Latti I... TooSweet 2012/02/19 02:40:28
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    Hello, T. :-)
  • shultzhound 2012/02/19 02:01:58
    shultzhound
    +3
    An excellent physician and researcher. I knew of him because I did my own study on my people not because the public school ever showed him during Black Month.
  • HiYa 2012/02/19 01:54:56
    HiYa
    +4
    Thanks for this great post. We get stuck in the muck of SH fignts and we forget to celebrate noteworthy acheivements of truly awe inspiring individuals. I glad that one of us can see the forest through the trees :-) You go girl gif
  • Latti I... HiYa 2012/02/19 02:08:07
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    Thank you Hiya ;).
  • HiYa 2012/02/19 01:47:29
    HiYa
    +2
    This man is my HERO! I've followed his career for years now. I read "Gifted Hands" years ago, now I read anything I can get my hands on about him.
  • seattleman 2012/02/19 01:25:20
    seattleman
    +3
    I think that says a lot about the importance of confidence. It obviously says a lot about the importance of education. But, without his realization that he was actually smart, and the confidence that comes with that, he never would have accomplished the things he did. Cool story. (Wish I could watch the vids.)
  • darcie lamar 2012/02/19 00:59:07
    darcie lamar
    +8
    What a great man, with a great mom.
  • Charles E darcie ... 2012/02/20 21:46:47
    Charles E
    +2
    She is proof that involved parents will always be more important than even the best teachers.
  • Mamaknows 2012/02/19 00:57:58
    Mamaknows
    +4
    He sounds AMAIZING!
    Just goes to show you in America you can do anything.
  • Patriotic 2012/02/19 00:35:02 (edited)
    Patriotic
    +8
    I am very familiar with him, and I'm glad that he was recognized for his hard work and achievements.
  • mae 2012/02/19 00:30:09
    mae
    +4
    What a great guy!
  • Lee The Hybrid Snowflake 2012/02/19 00:28:50
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +7
    Very inspiring, just goes to show you what a little self confidence can do for a child.
  • ruru Lee The... 2012/02/19 05:59:20
    ruru
    +2
    And a dedicated Mom.

2014/09/02 07:33:03