Don't Own A Gun? That'll Be $500, Please!

Teri- Oregon 2012/07/22 01:56:13

Pass or Fail in Vermont?

Perhaps my attitude on gun control – or lack thereof – is due to the fact that I’m a resident of Texas and the majority of us are pro-gun. Particularly in rural Texas, guns are a fact of life from the time one leaves the cradle and remains so our entire lives. Oh yes, we have the folks that don’t like guns and raise more fuss about it than the law should allow but for the most part gun-owners sort of smile, shoot the bird – and keep on shooting flying birds, deer, varmints and burglars.

Recently State Rep. Fred Maslack from Vermont has come forward with a bill and although it may not make it into law; it's great fodder for thought. It’s also amusing as hell when one considers the hue and cry the gun control folks will raise if/when it’s seriously considered.

Seems Maslack has done in-depth studies of the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and the State of Vermont’s Constitution and his conclusions have a lot of folks talking -- not only in Vermont but lots of other places. Maslack is obviously serious about his study as he recently proposed a bill in Vermont that would require "non-gun-owners" to register and pay a $500 fee to the State of Vermont for NOT owning a gun!

Now if this never went any farther; that’s amusing in and of itself. Ah, but it does go farther! Maslack reads the "militia" phrase of the Second Amendment as not only affirming the rights of citizens to bear arms but as a mandate to bear arms and thinks universal gun ownership was advocated by the Constitution guys to prevent "monopoly of force" not only by criminals but also by the government. It’s kinda hard not to consider that a certified hoot – particularly in view of what’s been happening in this country recently?

Vermont’s Constitution gets explicit: They give their citizens the right to carry concealed guns – without a permit – and describe that situation as "the people have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and the State." It goes on – and those persons who are "conscientiously scrupulous of bearing arms" shall be required to "pay such equivalent." Therefore – Maslack says Vermonters have a constitutional obligation to arm themselves, so that they are capable of responding to "any situation that may arise" where force is necessary to protect the State of Vermont.

Play or Pay?

He also advocates (and it’s in his bill) that adults who choose not to own a firearm would be required to register their name, address, Social Security Number and driver’s license number with the State. "There is a legitimate government interest in knowing WHO IS NOT prepared to defend the State should they be asked to do so." Well, dear hearts, think about it! There’s gonna be some defenders and the rest will be "defendees" meaning they ain’t gonna do one damn thing if the State is threatened except get out there and hunt up someone WITH a gun to defend them!

Bottom line: Mr. Maslack is trying to pass a bill that will assess a fee of $500 for the privilege of NOT owning a gun ‘cause everybody else that DOES OWN A GUN has to take care of their unarmed little butts! Now, in Texas that bill might ride on through like a big dog – mostly because it would keep non-armed persons from aggravating the hell out of everyone that is armed ‘cause none of them would admit to not owning a gun as it would cost them money.

Whether it can scoot through in Vermont is anyone’s guess but Vermont is pretty serious about their gun laws and right to carry and might just be the first state to turn such a bill into a law. Vermont boasts a high rate of gun ownership and has the least restrictive laws of any state in the Union.

The whole thing absolutely makes sense. There’s no reason gun owners should have to pay taxes to support police protection for people not willing to own guns and take care of themselves and their families – so, let them pay their fair share and pay their own way!

One last interesting fact: In Vermont the combination of plenty of guns and few laws regulating them has resulted in them having the third lowest crime rate in the nation! Sittin’ here in the Lone Star State – gun advocates that we are – all I can say is "Hey, Vermont! Y’all go ahead on now, ya’ hear?" If it works for Vermont maybe Governor Good Hair of Texas will take it into consideration? Well, maybe not – it wouldn’t produce much revenue in Texas for obvious reasons!

Author's Note: Today is June 28, 2012 and in the comments below we've been advised that the Supreme Court has declared this law to be legal and it is now law in Vermont

Read More: http://angelablair.hubpages.com/hub/Dont-Own-A-Gun...

• kyle 2012/07/22 03:53:23
    I want it to fail!
    kyle
    +9
    I am most definitely pro-2nd amendment but forcing people to purchase guns? Really?

I wonder if the republicans who support this see the similarity in Obamacare. If you don't buy insurance you need to pay a tax.

• democoach 2012/09/30 03:26:20
    I want it to fail!
    democoach
    im pro 2nd amendment as well, but we are a free country, forcing one to own on eis as bad as taking them away!

now there are some places that make gun owning a law (but police do not enforce it) those areas have lower crime rates, and i woul dnot mind somethign like this.
  • ohsmith ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/07/25 02:38:14
    I want it to pass!
    ohsmith ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    And I'm packing heat.
  • kofp 2012/07/23 05:23:40
    I want it to pass!
    kofp
    +1
    Vermont sounds like my kind of crowd. Bloomberg can suck it!
  • Rabbit 2012/07/23 05:15:57
    I want it to fail!
    Rabbit
    Maslack is mocking us and the second amendment. He thinks people are stupid enough to fall for his ruse. You see, if you approve of the $500.00 tax then you should have no problem with the $700.00 Obama Care tax. Typical Liberal thinking he's smarter than any Conservative who sticks to their bibbles and their guns. Don't fall for it, the government can't mandate that anyone buy anything. This is Still America and it will again be the land of the free.
  • jumpboots 187th PIR 2012/07/23 05:04:36
    I want it to pass!
    jumpboots 187th PIR
    +2
    All 50 states should pass it as a law.....Or!!!!!is it 56 state?
  • Selkets... jumpboo... 2012/07/25 22:55:41
    Selketskiss
    +1
    LMAO..56+ states
  • jumpboo... Selkets... 2012/07/26 01:41:58
    jumpboots 187th PIR
    +2
    He did say 57........
  • Walt 2012/07/22 16:02:20
    I want it to fail!
    Walt
    +2
    There is no 2nd Amendment mandate forcing Americans to own guns whether they want to or not.

Gun control freaks are wrong in attempting to deny us the right to own guns. Freaks like Maslack are equally wrong trying to force anyone to own guns who doesn't want to.

The 2nd Amendment is about freedom -the freedom to make a personal choice. It's not about stripping us of our freedom.

I wish these idiots would try to understand that.
  • PULLLLLLL! 2012/07/22 14:02:27 (edited)
    I want it to fail!
    PULLLLLLL!
    We already have too damn much government intrusion in our lives... I like the Idea of everyone that wants a gun that can legally own it to have it.. Next they will tell you what Kind of gun to buy..Also it is none of the states business what I own, as long as it is legal, and they have no business keeping a list,, Hell they already know everyone freakin adress and if you have a social security number they know that also...The government knows more about you than you think.....Which Stinks...
  • Rave 2012/07/22 13:09:37
    I want it to fail!
    Rave
    +1
    Forcing people to buy weapons? Never a good idea. What if you have a violent background or a mental disorder which you haven't been diagnosed with but which alters your personality?

People always say they are "so surprised" when a mass shooting takes place and says that the person who committed it was a shy nice guy who no one suspected, truth is even the sanest seeming person might have a mental disorder or intense sides to their personality which they aren't showing. People harboring psychotic tendencies are often very good at manipulating everyone else to not see those sides.

Buying a gun is something which requires personal a very personal decision, responsibility and a mind healthy enough to not abuse the right.
  • Wally-Molon Labe! 2012/07/22 12:03:49
    I want it to fail!
    Wally-Molon Labe!
    +1
    More legislation to control the people and rob their wallets. More big government. So force people who don't wish to own a gun to buy one? Will they ever learn to use it? Will it sit in the closet? Will the people also be forced to buy ammo? Sounds like gun lobby and manufacturers sponsored.
    I want it to pass!
    +2
    PRO-SECOND AMENDMENT!
  • PULLLLLLL! Lady Wh... 2012/07/22 14:26:24
    PULLLLLLL!
    +2
    Yep! I bought 2 more guns Yesterday....Might just buy another today,, neighbor has one and needs some money....

Here is my first line of defense in my house...With I lost count of the rest,, Wonder what kinda arsenal they would call my collection?? money line defense house lost count rest kinda arsenal collection
  • Lady Wh... PULLLLLLL! 2012/07/22 15:57:45
    +1
    I want either a Walther .22 or a Ruger lcp.
  • Lord Em... PULLLLLLL! 2012/07/22 20:31:40
    Lord Emperor of Dune
    +1
    Not a 1911 man but I love those grips!
  • PULLLLLLL! Lord Em... 2012/07/22 22:32:22 (edited)
    PULLLLLLL!
    I had that 1911A1 in Vietnam....

I changed out the barrel bushing and barrel with national match for better accuracy ,, the grips are Chip McCormic Diamond, walnut grips..... barrel national match accuracy grips chip mccormic diamond walnut grips
  • Lord Em... PULLLLLLL! 2012/07/22 23:49:40
    Lord Emperor of Dune
    +1
    It's almost enough to make a CZ man go 1911... Almost... I like, well, love shooting this one...
    cz 1911 love shooting
  • PULLLLLLL! Lord Em... 2012/07/23 15:00:08
    PULLLLLLL!
    +1
    CZ makes good firearms..That 1911 is my only big, handgun,, I have lots of 38s , 380s, .32s and .22s Here is the prototype of the smith and wesson centenial mode 40.. The smith factory checked it out and tried to get it back,, it was made a year before they put them on the mkt.. No Model number on it..Notice the grip safety on a revolver.....

factory checked year mkt model number notice grip safety revolver
  • Lord Em... PULLLLLLL! 2012/07/23 16:39:56
    Lord Emperor of Dune
    +1
    Wow! That's cool! I've never seen anything like that. How you do you like it?
  • PULLLLLLL! Lord Em... 2012/07/23 17:04:23 (edited)
    PULLLLLLL!
    +2
    4 a short barrel it is great concealed, and very accurate out to 25 yards.. It was a commemorative of the original 1853 Smith lemon Squeezer, break top 38... thus the name centennial.....They got the name lemon squeezer from the grip safty...
  • ben 2012/07/22 07:59:27
    I want it to fail!
    ben
    +1
    to have to still register is completly ridiculous...these people are out of their mind! i think the're just making laws jut to make themselves seem intelligent.
  • Don Leuty 2012/07/22 07:13:05
    I want it to pass!
    Don Leuty
    +2
    It is just that those who avoid the responsibility to protect home and state pay a fee for that privilege.
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/07/22 07:08:33
    I want it to pass!
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +2
    Here's gun control in real-life. Pay particular attention to the body counts in Chicago IL and NYC, meccas for the gun-control crowd.

http://www.thugreport.com
  • DDogbreath 2012/07/22 05:53:52
    I want it to pass!
    DDogbreath
    +1
    Good Idea!
    I want it to fail!
    +4
    The same rights that allow one to have a gun are the same rights that allow one not have a gun. Freedom of choice. He's messing around with Constitutional rights of the individual, the same rights gun owners fight so hard for. How these guys ever make it into office I'll never understand, but it will never pass because it'll prove to be unconstitutional. Its just to bad Vermont taxpayers are paying for this guys time, when they need someone more interested in tackling the important issues effecting their state, rather than someone trying to bend constitutional law, as he sees fit. One mini-government forcing us to bear arms, to protect itself from a bigger government. Anyway you look at it, were still under the thumb of a government! Make it easy! Eliminate this idiot and you'll eliminate the part of government we don't like, the one that likes to find a new way to tax us.
  • Gregaj7 2012/07/22 04:25:29
    I want it to pass!
    +1
    While I'm in favor of it, I wouldn't be able to abide by it.
  • kyle 2012/07/22 03:53:23
    I want it to fail!
    kyle
    +9

• Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/07/22 03:51:14
    I want it to fail!
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +5
    As nice as it is to promote buying guns, isnt this similar to Obamacare or Romneycare where it is buy insurance... or else? The only difference is that purchasing health insurance is not a right, but owning a gun is. However, do you want to be charged a fine for not pleading the 5th? Charged for not protesting? Charged for not owning or working for the news media? I sure as hell would not want that.

Promoting fire arms is good. Maybe you could throw in a tax incentive for those that do own. But flat out coercion is not the right method.
  • KingdomNow 2012/07/22 03:46:32 (edited)
    I want it to pass!
    KingdomNow
    +2
    These freeloaders aren't doing their fair share in preventing crime as gun owners.
  • Mike KingdomNow 2012/07/22 05:24:26
    I prefer to hire police officers they know what their doing.........
  • KingdomNow Mike 2012/07/22 06:06:06
    KingdomNow
    FBI statistics show that there is no correlation between crime rate and number of police officers on the street while there is proof that armed communities do have lower crime rates than places with strict gun control laws.

The citizen is always the front line of defense against crime.
  • Mike KingdomNow 2012/07/22 07:15:57
    Citizens are trained to report suspicious activity and leave any action to those qualified to handle the job, police officers. Just owning a gun qualifies no one to the same rules of use, as authorized to police officers. Why? Because there trained for the use of deadly force and the situations revolving around the legal use of it.
  • KingdomNow Mike 2012/07/22 07:28:32
    KingdomNow
    +1
    I don't buy that. US courts have already ruled that police units are not obligated to respond to calls nor are they required to enforce laws:

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkb...

Sure, the average citizen might not have all the training of a professional but so what? The police are more like janitors who show up to clean up the mess after a crime is committed and victims harmed.

I agree that every citizen should receive proper training and equipment- The Second Amendment was written at a time when private citizens where better armed and often better trained than the average soldier.
  • PULLLLLLL! Mike 2012/07/22 14:11:35 (edited)
  • PULLLLLLL! Mike 2012/07/22 14:07:23 (edited)
    PULLLLLLL!
    +1
    Do you really believe that???

Calling 911 for the police is like calling "Dial a Prayer"
    OH! please mr. policeman , hurry, this dude has a gun pointed at me, OH what shall I do???
  • PULLLLLLL! Mike 2012/07/22 16:00:52
    PULLLLLLL!
    +1
    you gotta be kidding...Look at how many innocent people and wrong houses that the police have killed somone.. Bungling Idiots....
  • Pele Emerging 2012/07/22 03:26:01
    I want it to fail!
    Pele Emerging
    +3
    The only reason I want it to fail is that there are a good many people out there who should NOT own a gun, could NOT pass a background check of any sort, and would be a menace to themselves and society if they owned a gun. Good luck getting people to register their non-ownership, though.
  • PULLLLLLL! Pele Em... 2012/07/22 14:14:27
    PULLLLLLL!
    +2
    many of these people get guns anyway,, there is no way to actually stop them, without walking over the law abiding citizens right to self defense...Look where gun laws are the most restrictive.. Who has the Guns??? the criminals.....
  • Pele Em... PULLLLLLL! 2012/07/22 19:46:06
    Pele Emerging
    I find forcing gun ownership to be restrictive, too. I want a choice. I have autistic grandchildren, and they are the #1 reason I don't own a gun. I would have to have any firearm equipped with trigger locks and locked in a gun safe. Then, as both have fascination with keys, I'd have to make sure the keys were somewhere safe AND somewhere I could remember, too! LOL!
  • stormy rae 2012/07/22 03:02:30
    I want it to pass!
    stormy rae
    +2
    I only want it to pass, so as not to have to concern myself constantly with whether or not they are going to come disarm the American People. If they have laws requiring citizens to bear arms, there is no possible way the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT could have any group or army disarm the country's men and women.

2014/04/16 16:16:15