Dont feel like mowing the lawn? You might end up in JAIL!

BrianD3 2012/06/13 10:57:23

Most neighborhoods have at least one house that stands out, a home that has grass higher than the neighbors or a broken window. In Massapequa Park, New York, those homeowners may now be spending time in jail. The village board passed a law on Monday declaring that those who cannot maintain their lawns deserve fines of up to $10,000 and up to 15 days in prison.

According to 880-AM out of New York City, this law was passed to keep property values in the area from sinking in an area that has been hit hard by foreclosures. The vote was unanimous. If your lawns aren't mowed, dumpsters are full, gutters are broken, or windows are boarded homeowners face steep fines.

The first offense is punishable by a fine, $250 to $1,000. The second offense will cost the homeowner $2,500 and up to 10 days in jail. The third offense will mean up to 15 days in jail and fines of up to $10,000.

I dont agree!
    +5
    Whatever happened to "a man's home is his castle"?

Last I heard, "diminished property values in the neighborhood" didn't fall into the category of "public nuisance" or health hazard. Show me the health hazard that this homeowner is posing, and I'll consider it. In the meantime--well, if it's one of those foreclosure problems, then pitch in and buy the place. (I can't imagine that anyone is LIVING in a house and not mowing the lawn. More likely the house is boarded up and abandoned.)

• Moe 2012/09/07 14:54:08
  • Jane Austen 2012/06/28 15:51:26
  • TruBluTopaz 2012/06/19 15:01:42
    I dont agree!
    TruBluTopaz
    +1
    Here's the deal, people get sick, or they can't afford a new lawnmowers, or they are hurt or they are elderly. It used to be in another place, another time, a neighbor would come by and ask if they needed help. Instead we have HOA's and small towns that just want to make money.
  • betz 2012/06/19 11:27:35
    I dont agree!
    betz
    +1
    it seems a bit harsh to me but there would be nothing worse than having to give directions to your home by saying..."It's the one next door to the lawn that hasn't been mowed in weeks."
    Hey isn't this where Bill and Hilary love? Maybe he's on city council. LMAO!
  • superangrymonkey 2012/06/14 20:31:21
    I dont agree!
    superangrymonkey
    +2
    Ridiculous. People need to quit taking their goddamned neighborhood beautification so seriously.
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/14 02:23:04
    I dont agree!
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    NY is out of control.
  • RJeffreySavlov 2012/06/14 02:10:09
    I agree!
    RJeffreySavlov
    If I wanted to live in a ghetto, I would have bought in one for a heck of a lot less than I spent.
  • BrianD3 RJeffre... 2012/06/14 14:40:29
    BrianD3
    +1
    fines maybe, but jail?
  • CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/14 00:59:29
    I agree!
    CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    As a real estate appraiser I agree 100%.
  • BrianD3 CMackle... 2012/06/14 14:41:02
    BrianD3
    +1
    you dont think that people will bail from this area because of the law thus driving the prices lower still?
  • CMackle... BrianD3 2012/06/15 17:55:55
    CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    If they are too lazy to mow their lawn, do you really think they would go to all the effort of moving? Not likely.
  • BrianD3 CMackle... 2012/06/19 11:11:35
    BrianD3
    if it came to a choice between jail or not, yes
  • TheCouchF*cker 2012/06/13 22:30:33
  • Maj. C. D. Hardy 2012/06/13 17:42:08
    I dont agree!
    Maj. C. D. Hardy
    +1
    This is ridiculous, nothing but government bullying.

" All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression." (Thomas Jefferson)
  • CMackle... Maj. C.... 2012/06/19 18:22:32
    CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    Not when their rights infringe upon the rights of others. An ill kept yard/home can drasticly lower the value of other homes in the area. As a real estate appraiser, I see this daily.

This house -
    ugly yard ruins neighborhood

Will drop the value of this house by approx. $10K
    ranch style house
  • Maj. C.... CMackle... 2012/06/19 23:07:21
    Maj. C. D. Hardy
    +1
    As long as I pay my taxes and my mortgage I will keep MY PROPERTY any way I choose to!!!!! I could care less about you and your property. People need to learn to mind their own business as does the government!!!! Good fences and good walls make good neighbors. I don't bother any one and I expect the same courtesy in exchange.
  • CMackle... Maj. C.... 2012/06/20 18:42:59
    CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    Don't you get it. Your actions directly affect others in a neighborhood. You say you don't care about other peoples property yet you effect them. BTW - It's "I couldn't care less". Not "I could".
  • Maj. C.... CMackle... 2012/06/20 22:49:14
    Maj. C. D. Hardy
    I will say it again if I want to have a junk yard on my front lawn or I choose to dig holes and make it resemble the moon I WILL!!! I own the property they don't so in my honest opinion they can all go to hell. Before you ask yes my township has tried to make me conform to their standards and I have told them and their judge where to go too. You can not infringe on an individuals rights under the guise of the greater good. I wish you life liberty and the pursuit of happiness as long as your happiness isn't infringing on mine! Peace to you and good luck with your real estate appraising.
  • CMackle... Maj. C.... 2012/06/20 23:03:57
    CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    Yet you have no problem infringing on theirs. Pathetic.
  • BrianD3 Maj. C.... 2012/06/20 19:11:10
    BrianD3
    +1
    I tend to side with you on this one. No one likes scrounges but as property owners we have rights and I could care less what my neighbors think. I live in a neighborhood where most are retired, they pump water from the canal to sprinkle their lawn, they are outside every day tending to their yard and to their credit, their yards look like parks.

I work and I go to school and quite honestly, I dont think that, that kind of perfection is worth all the effort. They leave notes in my mailbox and voice their displeasure and I have heard the property value argument. It isnt MY job to prop up their property values.
  • Riobhca 2012/06/13 17:07:05
    I dont agree!
    Riobhca
    +2
    it's ridiculous to go to such an extreme just for people who don't mow the yard.
  • Chief 2012/06/13 15:04:41
    I dont agree!
    Chief
    +3
    That's B.S. I cut my lawn as little as possible, running a mower gives off so many pollutants, don't we have enough in the air and waster already??? Besides I have many frogs here and mowing kills the little buggers.

Also if we can bail out banks, give billions too Israel every year, perhaps we can help mow someones grass for them if they can't afford it or if perhaps there physically unable to do it themselves. Have we all become so heartless as to put a lawn before anything else???

We walk a cracked and broken path, if we make it, we can all sit back and laugh, but I fear tomorrow we'll be crying.
  • Rebel Yell 2012/06/13 14:03:21
    I agree!
    Rebel Yell
    It sounds like the owner has previous warnings before the steep stuff piles on. When property becomes an eye sore, it affects the property values of those in the neighborhood. Also, rodents and other varmints are attracted to high grass and weeds. It becomes a dumping ground . For a short period of time, I lived across from a beautiful old home, about 100 years old. It was badly neglected and people would dump old bathroom fixtures, rusted bicycles, old yard tools, baby carriers, etc. Sad to see a regal old home in such disrepair and abused that way.

I'm guessing this just isn't about high grass that may occur when the family is on vacation. At least, I certainly hope not.
  • Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩ 2012/06/13 13:15:18
    I agree!
    Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩
    +1
    meant to check the "I don't have a lawn..."
  • The One 2012/06/13 12:45:40
    I dont agree!
    The One
    +2
    HOA are like Nazi's!!!
  • Maci 2012/06/13 12:11:08
  • Selkets... Maci 2012/06/17 12:56:10 (edited)
    Selketskiss
    +2
    This clip was a riot....LMAO...LOL
    I would never live where there is a HOA, I live in a beautiful area and no grass nazi's
  • Maci Selkets... 2012/06/17 15:06:08
  • Selkets... Maci 2012/06/17 15:45:04
    Selketskiss
    +2
    Droughts...that is another thing to. What is more important, water for humans or waste water for grass.....
  • Maci Selkets... 2012/06/17 15:48:37
  • Selkets... Maci 2012/06/17 15:56:13
    Selketskiss
    +1
    Good question......
  • 9th of 9 2012/06/13 11:56:14
    I dont agree!
    9th of 9
    +2
    Just plain stupid.
  • Tinka123 2012/06/13 11:52:04
    I dont agree!
    Tinka123
    +3
    We have reached a sad day in this country when people can be jailed for failing to mow their lawn.
    I dont agree!
    +5

• j2 Temlako... 2012/06/13 13:34:18
    j2
    +2
    Believe it or not, the last place I lived had about 10% of the neighborhood that espoused the "natural" look. It took several years to get everyone on board with mowing. A few even moved away. Their lawns would grow up like a pasture complete with noxious weeds going to seed.
  • Panloker 2012/06/13 11:16:58
  • BrianD3 Panloker 2012/06/13 11:17:40
    BrianD3
    +3
    people pay less for serious crimes
  • Panloker BrianD3 2012/06/13 11:18:42
    Panloker
    +1
    I was thinking the same.
  • BrianD3 Panloker 2012/06/13 11:22:25
    BrianD3
    +3
    what they didnt say is what constitutes an "unmowed" lawn. Must you do it weekly or are there specific height requirements? Is 10" too high? 5", 3" or what? and who takes a ruler and measures the lawn??? Or, perhaps it is all subjective and if they just dont like how it looks then you are fined........who decides? What if you mow the lawn but skip doing the edging and trimming?

What happens if you get rid of your lawn?
  • Panloker BrianD3 2012/06/13 11:48:46
    Panloker
    +2
    Oh I am sure there probably are specific requirements in lawn maintenance there. Obviously I am not familiar with that area but I also wonder what happens if a family decides to put up a pool or trampoline for their children? I know a lot of people consider recreational items such as those as things that would devalue property value. I would be getting the hell out of dodge is I lived in that neighborhood.

2014/07/29 08:40:42