Domestic Drones for Business and Personal Use: Approve?

Fef 2012/11/28 01:00:00
This reminds me of another question I asked:
Citizens Shoot Down Animal Rights Spy Drone: Awesome or Awful?

SFGATE.COM reports:
The Federal Aviation Administration has been flooded with applications from police departments, universities, private corporations and even the celebrity gossip site TMZ, all seeking to use drones that range from devices the size of a hummingbird to full-size aircraft like those used by the U.S. military to target al Qaeda operatives in Pakistan and elsewhere.
home suspected growing marijuana indoors lamps illegal search required warrant

Read More: http://www.sfgate.com/nation/article/Push-to-step-...

• redhorse29 2012/12/06 18:50:01
    Disapprove
    redhorse29
    No. The units are for clandestine observation of the enemy. As long as the government there is the high risk every drone will retain the capability to spy on we citizens. The government is spending massive amounts of time, money and effort to spy on us now.
  • JustMe 2012/12/04 08:16:23
    Approve
    JustMe
    If they got that much money laying around, and I suppose that would help the military hide theirs better
  • Avi Rosen 2012/11/30 07:10:41
    Disapprove
    Avi Rosen
    +1
    Totally Disapprove!!! It will be a sham!
    It will be the end of privacy as we (already, barely) know it!
    It will put industrial espionage onto the next level.
    Paparazzi will bloom!
    If these drones are approved there is no escape but to approve mini ground to air missiles too... One has the right to protect and defend one's own privacy!
    Military industries will bloom selling those drones, then selling the mini missiles to destroy them...
  • Woof 2012/11/29 03:17:47
    Disapprove
    Woof
    Don't think so.
  • Ken Bennett 2012/11/28 23:52:28
  • TooSweet 2012/11/28 23:50:59
    Approve
    TooSweet
    How else is Walmart going to keep getting pics like this,
    People of Walmart
  • Adakin ... TooSweet 2012/11/29 03:27:57
    Adakin Valorem~PWCM~JLA
    Oh Damn... I TOLD Mother not to go shopping in the summertime!
  • TooSweet Adakin ... 2012/11/29 03:31:57 (edited)
    TooSweet
    +1
    Damn!....Produce isle has many options,
    cucumber
  • scbluesman13 2012/11/28 23:18:14
    Approve
    scbluesman13
    How else can I effectively spy on the government?
  • V~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/11/28 21:30:47
    Approve
    V~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    I would approve of drones, subject to the following conditions:

1. Drones operate must under the same regulations as general aviation. The pilot has the same responsibilities as any general aviation pilot. Therefore, drone pilots must be licensed by the FAA with a minimum rating of "private pilot". Minimum $1M liability insurance.

2. Drone aircraft to be FAA registered, subject to the same fees and taxes as general aviation aircraft.

3. In addition to communications between ground-based pilot and aircraft, the drones need aviation radios to relay communications between air traffic control and the pilot. It's not enough to have a hacked smartphone with 4G wireless.

4. Drones need Mode S transponders so that they can be easily tracked from the ground.

5. Technically, all drone flights are instrument flights, not visual. Therefore, all drone flights must be booked with IFR flight plans (fees and all), including communication requirements with air traffic control. IFR minimum altitudes to be observed at all times.

6. Deviation from flight plan to result in FAA sanctions against the ground-based pilot who is acting as "Pilot in command".

I doubt the current rules for drones are anywhere near this robust. But they should be.
  • Slayer Tudd 2012/11/28 20:57:14
    Disapprove
    Slayer Tudd
    +1
    Why would private corporations need drones? Are they going to replace the security guards that patrol their buildings? Maybe I should get a drone and weaponize it so I can protect myself and my community and the drone itself from other drones. This is getting stupid, everyone and the neighbors dog will own a drone one day...
  • TooSweet Slayer ... 2012/11/28 23:48:15
    TooSweet
    Hit the Power Ball and you can do just that.
  • lee 2012/11/28 19:39:39
    Disapprove
    lee
    there are reasons whey RC planes only have a 1/4 mile range....and there are reasons why you are not allowed to fly them just anywhere.
  • Embalmer 2012/11/28 19:09:36
    Approve
    Embalmer
    If citizens can have guns citizens can also have drones, but rednecks aren't that rich.

The second amendment says nothing other than "arms" which means no weapon is specified and the only thing they will never let you have are nuclear weapons.
  • Ali Al-Dayel 2012/11/28 18:22:05
    Approve
    Ali Al-Dayel
    It's not going to harm anyone is it ... he's not like going to crash it on purpose, it's not cheap you know.
  • Nimran Alajmi 2012/11/28 18:17:58
    Approve
    Nimran Alajmi
    +13
    In my opinion yes because it can be developed by other companies
  • Nyretiree 2012/11/28 18:11:21
    Disapprove
    Nyretiree
    +2
    What would a business need with a drone? What would a person need with a drone? Boarder Patrol and Customs are good uses for drones.
  • Georgia50 Nyretiree 2012/11/28 18:53:52
    Georgia50
    Cell phone users could enable their phone to receive text messages for spot discounts. Drones could circle an area and send promo messages to only those cell phones in proximity or en route to the retail location.
  • Fidelito 2012/11/28 17:50:20 (edited)
    Approve
    Fidelito
    But of course! That way you can spy on the competition and blow their a$$ away! Lol... usadrones
  • TombstoneJim 2012/11/28 16:42:09
    Approve
    TombstoneJim
    If I could afford one, it would be most helpful in locating cattle and checking water supplies around the ranch without having to ride a horse 15 miles or get stuck on a rock on a 4 wheeler.....just zoom over, see where they are and which way they're moving and go round them up.....man that would be great...
  • Ken Ben... Tombsto... 2012/11/28 23:56:51
    Ken Bennett
    you can already do that that simple stuff has been around for a while... low altitude low grade optics... I think they are talking about the ones with the high grade optics packages. and still NO!
  • Tombsto... Ken Ben... 2012/11/29 15:20:04
    TombstoneJim
    I can't find one of those Low Grade stuff your talking about. I could make use of some of the heat signature stuff to if it was affordable.....
  • beernbugs 2012/11/28 16:10:49
    Disapprove
    beernbugs
    They already have them, they're called RC Airplanes. Any more than that is for government use only and that usage should be controlled better.
  • Matt 2012/11/28 16:10:20
    Disapprove
    Matt
    How the HELL do you guys have illegal immigrants coming through your southern borders when there are Predator B drones hovering overhead? those things can carry 11 hellfire air to ground missiles each or over 2000 lb of other weaponry...
  • John Wa... Matt 2012/11/28 16:22:46
    John Walker II
    Because the drones the border agents use are not armed. They're there to look for activity, and track it until border agents can intercept.

If you were mexico, would you be comfortable with your northern neighbor with armed drones all along the border?
  • FatherL... John Wa... 2012/11/28 16:52:57
    FatherLiberty
    +1
    Does it matter how they feel about it? So long as it remains within our country and doesnt cross into their airspace, it doesnt really matter how they feel. But, I am not for using drones anyways. There is no way to assure that it is not abused and used to spy on Americans without warrants.
  • John Wa... FatherL... 2012/11/28 17:02:38
    John Walker II
    I personally would love to see a condition that if the private corporations want to fly them, the military and police MUST have the ability to override that control with a judge's order or permission.

KMart running a scheme where they track consumers, they get served the warrant as their bird is redirected to a police controlled airfield. Busted.

I would be happy with that.
  • william... John Wa... 2012/11/28 17:22:14
    william.turner
    Should the Government be able to remote fly your personal aircraft too?
  • John Wa... william... 2012/11/29 04:40:15
    John Walker II
    If your flying it in protected airspace? Yea.
    If you have a medical emergency where your a solo pilot and can't take the controls? Yea.

That's at least two cases where I can see that being handy.
  • william... John Wa... 2012/11/29 06:38:22
    william.turner
    So you advocate remote control system being implemented in personal aircraft? What about cars?
  • John Wa... william... 2012/12/03 16:46:37
    John Walker II
    How many dangerous and potentially lethal police chases could have been stopped by a police initiated kill switch?

OJ simpson? His famous ride down the highway in his SUV?
  • william... John Wa... 2012/12/03 16:56:09
    william.turner
    So you would give up liberty for security?

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both."
    -Ben Franklin
  • John Wa... william... 2012/12/03 17:04:55 (edited)
    John Walker II
    It's a measured balance. If I thought the police would abuse it, I would walk to work. Hell, I might anyways, the exercise would do me good, and it would be cheaper in the long run.

And there are means in place to bring cops who would abuse a system like that to justice, so it's not like you can't sue them in return for using it inappropiately.
  • william... John Wa... 2012/12/03 19:08:15
    william.turner
    Well, That is a scary road you want to walk down.
  • John Wa... william... 2012/12/03 19:09:56
    John Walker II
    As long as we have the ability to question their use of it and have them prove it was required, then I'm fine with that.

Remove that ability to question their judgement, then I'll demand they lose that right as well.
  • william... John Wa... 2012/12/03 19:17:49
    william.turner
    Once they have that power though, it is near impossible to have it removed.
  • John Wa... william... 2012/12/03 19:19:20
    John Walker II
    That's why every time they exercise it, they have to prove the need for it in court. No exceptions. Never let the pressure up.
  • william... John Wa... 2012/12/03 19:24:37
    william.turner
    Well I wish I had the optimism that you have. But I have been proven wrong with that optimism too many times now.
  • John Wa... william... 2012/12/03 19:30:14 (edited)
    John Walker II
    Your mistaking optimism for pragmatism here. The police sees a very useful purpose for those drones and for remote shutdown of vehicles, so it is going to happen eventually.

But I also see that due to human nature, there will always be someone willing to bend the rules.

Thus where I stand, if you (the police) want that toy, you better answer the question why, every time, you use it.

Yes, it can do a lot of good. It can also do a good bit of evil as well and that latter can not be tolerated, ever, nor ever go unquestioned.
  • Ken Ben... John Wa... 2012/12/06 00:27:50
    Ken Bennett
    bet you belive police only lock up guilty people too.... bwaaahahahahahahah you are a hoot!

2014/10/26 05:31:12