Does Your Vote Matter if You Live in a Red State or a Blue State?

Chris D 2012/08/08 18:00:00
Every presidential election year in recent memory comes down to the same crucial swing states: Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Colorado and Nevada... give or take a state or two.

I live in California, so I don't think it really matters who I vote for because the Democrat will almost always win, due to California being a blue state. Of course, I always do vote because it's my civic responsibility, but does it really even matter if you live in an entrenched "red" (Republican) or "blue" (Democrat) state?

CNN.COM reports:
The CNN Electoral Map is CNN's best estimate of the key states that will likely decide the 2012 presidential election. The map will be updated as the campaign progresses. Use the map to predict which candidate will win each state and see who reaches 270 electoral votes first.
2012 cnn election map

Read More: http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/ecalculator#?batt...

• Daryl 2012/08/08 18:03:02
    Daryl
    +18
    Not really. Only if you live in a swing state.

I do and I plan to vote.

I am non-union so I will only be voting once.

• john.k.... RIP2012 2014/06/20 18:04:20 (edited)
    john.k.thompson1
    If you were any kind of educated American ( highly questionable ) you would know every president must swear an Oath to "Uphold, Protect and Defend the Constitution of the United States of America from radicals like you and Barry Soetoro.
  • john.k.... RIP2012 2014/06/20 17:54:15 (edited)
    john.k.thompson1
    What kind of moronic defense is that?? You obamazombies will say anything to protect "dear leader". Are you really so completely ignorant of what's been going on in this, most lawless criminal regime in US History???. BTW I did attend Columbia College for as long as I could afford too. I had a 4.0 GPA when I had to leave before graduating because my family needed my immediate support, .... (white males aren't eligible for affirmative action)... not that I would expect a troll to understand the first thing about family values.
  • Windy RIP2012 2012/08/10 06:13:19
    Windy
    +1
    No intelligent person would vote for Obama, either. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dee, that is who we are given as choices in EVERY presidential election. Our votes only count on the local level, the issues and candidates for local office and for who represents us in the Statehouse. National elections are different and the districts in each State are drawn and the elections are rigged to make certain our votes do NOT count in who goes to DC as a member of congress or prez.
  • Centuri... Windy 2012/08/10 17:00:10
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    Windy,
    We need to get out there on election day and try anyway. I participate in the entire ballot and try to make the best decisions I can. This year will be crucial. I see that you live one state North of me, a hotbed of liberalism. I was stationed up in Spokane in the Air Force about 35 years ago. Beautiful place the Great Northwest isn't it?

The candidates are more like Tweedle dumb and Tweedle dumber. We did have a clear contrast in 1984 with Reagan/Mondale. Remember this map?

1984 Reagan Mondale election map

I really think that Herman Cain was probably the best candidate with the least baggage but he seems to have been lynched as it were as soon as he was gaining support.

Let's agree to get out there, do the best that we can and perhaps overwhelm them with numbers which they "have to" listen to.

Best wishes to you Windy.
  • Windy Centuri... 2012/08/11 08:18:25
    Windy
    +1
    Ah, an Oregonian (also a beautiful State)? Actually the greater Seattle metropolitan area and Spokane are liberal, the rest of the State is conservative, especially the farmers/ranchers, but he voters in those two areas seem to outwiegh the whole rest of the State, the same kind of situation we'd have nationally in national elections without the electoral college, but on a smaller scale. I actually prefer Ron Paul over Herman Cain, due to Ron's respect for, understanding of and obedience to the Constituton as well as his knowledge about and understanding of the Founder's vision, economics and foreign policy. I would love it if he were to become the nominee against all efforts to force Romney on us, it would be great for all America and a great blow to the party elite who only want to keep the power they have had at the expense of our Founding principles.
  • Centuri... Windy 2012/08/11 22:40:26
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    Yes, Oregon is a beautiful state. I live close enough to Crater Lake to be there in a little less than an hour. I have forest I can see from my living room window and mountainous desert from my back windows.

A friend in the postal service told me of multiple addresses on his routes where he knew that only one person lived but at election time voting materials addressed to multiple people with "similar" names would be addressed to the same house or apartment. He reported it to his supervisor and was told, "Our job is to deliver mail, not to investigate voter fraud. Deliver it." Also bothersome on this is that some of his co-workers told him that they have the same situation on their routes. It makes me wonder, how many more are out there voting multiple times? Yes, there are more people in Portland than Bend but there are hundreds of smaller towns with thousands of voters. Same with Seattle and Spokane. There ought to be enough in smaller towns to make a difference if we all got off of our duffs and voted.

Romney is far from perfect. Actually his chosen running mate would be a better candidate than Romney but unless we want to put obama in for four more years then we really ought to band together for Romney.

I don't know how the "leftwardmost" candidate gets nominated for both parties while the better ones get lynched but I really would like to see better. Maybe in 2016?
  • Windy Centuri... 2012/08/12 05:39:33 (edited)
    Windy
    Unfortunately, under either Romney or Obama the result will be the same, a serious economic collapse, and you need to do some research on Ryan, he's no better than Romney, and he's NOT a fiscal conservative.

"Paul Ryan voted for TARP, auto bailouts, Medicare expansion, NCLB, the 2008 AND 2009 stimulus? Sounds perfect for Romney."

"Of course on the biggest budget issues, Ryan spends more than a drunken sailor. See this from the RLC analysis that Laurence linked to:

Paul Ryan on War and Intervention Abroad
    -Voted YES on authorizing military force in Iraq. (Oct 2002)
    -Voted YES on emergency $78B for war in Iraq & Afghanistan. (Apr 2003)
    -Voted YES on declaring Iraq part of War on Terror with no exit date. (Jun 2006)
    -Voted NO on redeploying US troops out of Iraq starting in 90 days. (May 2007)

Conclusion: Romney's VP Pick = Pro-War Big Government Republicanism, 2.0"

Thje Republican Liberty Caucus says about him:
    "Since 2010 Ryan has been on the wrong side of almost every important vote involving basic Constitutionally protected rights. He voted to extend the PATRIOT Act, for CISPA, for DOMA, for the NDAA (three times), to expand the Department of Homeland Security, to extend troop commitments in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya and to give the President the power to appoint department heads with...

"Since 2010 Ryan has been on the wrong side of almost every important vote involving basic Constitutionally protected rights. He voted to extend the PATRIOT Act, for CISPA, for DOMA, for the NDAA (three times), to expand the Department of Homeland Security, to extend troop commitments in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya and to give the President the power to appoint department heads without Senatorial approval. At a time when more and more Republicans are waking up to the threat of expanded government power to operate without observing traditional limits on their police power these votes are a major concern.
    TARP, bailouts, entitlement expansion, endless military spending and bigger, more intrusive and less constitutional government. Is the Ryan record an example of the kind of policies a financially imperiled nation needs and which grassroots Republicans are demanding?"
  • john.k.... Windy 2014/06/20 18:29:21 (edited)
    john.k.thompson1
    +1
    "When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by REMOVING the corruption and restoring it's lost principals; every other correction us either useless or a new evil ". - Thomas Jefferson
  • ☆FritzW☆ 2012/08/10 00:27:34
    It should but it doesn't
    ☆FritzW☆
    +4
    We are talking about Presidential elections here; not state or local. Those we certainly have an individual input into the results, but when it comes to Presidential elections and the electoral vote.. an individual vote means a lot less. I'm in southern NJ and if we were our own state, the Republican would get the vote but the northern part of the state (and the heavier populated) votes Democrat and that carries the state. It's discouraging, but it is the way its been for quite a while now. :) I vote because it's not my responsibility, but my privilege to do so and haven't missed a vote since my first back in 1976. Someday, I hope we'll see a change to a popular vote and then it would feel like my vote meant something!
  • Centuri... ☆FritzW☆ 2012/08/10 17:10:01
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    I understand FritzW. In Oregon we have the same problem with three cities, Portland, Eugene and Salem dominating.

The idea of the rest of the state seceeding from Those three cities (all located on I-5 on the North 1/3 of the state is starting to sound like a good idea. The State of Jefferson carved out of some California and Oregon Counties was attempted in 1941. I live in one of those "rebel" counties. My daughters and grandchildren live in another. Here is a shot of it. Seems that Pearl Harbor stole their thunder and the idea was shelved until recently.

State of Jefferson map

Best wishes and encouragement to you. Pray that the city people up there wise up. It happened in 1984.

1984 Reagan Mondale Election map
  • ☆FritzW☆ Centuri... 2012/08/10 20:40:49
    ☆FritzW☆
    +1
    Let's hope so.. we need another 1984! Sadly, we also need another Reagan and that's the problem. But, I wish you Jeffersonians luck in your attempt out there in becoming the 51st! Keep the faith!
  • Centuri... ☆FritzW☆ 2012/08/10 23:12:43
  • ☆FritzW☆ Centuri... 2012/08/11 12:44:07
    ☆FritzW☆
    Awesome!
  • Centuri... ☆FritzW☆ 2012/08/10 17:12:36
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    Here is a better map showing the State of Jefferson which includes more Oregon Counties.

State of Jefferson map
  • Paige 2012/08/10 00:12:02
    Paige
    +1
    Well it should, but then again.........according to ACORN and the Democrats along with Republicans, you have to be dead or you have to be a cartoon character to have your vote count.
  • nicesteve 2012/08/10 00:01:05
    nicesteve
    Every vote is important, regardless of wheather the candidate whom you chose wins
    or not, or the measure or proposition that you voted on goes your way or not. Either stand
    up and be counted or else, don't gripe and don't whine. Either VOTE, or be quiet.
  • HillaryLover 2012/08/09 23:57:02
    It should but it doesn't
    HillaryLover
    I live in a Blue state that voted for Hillary Clinton in the 2008 primary (most of the Blue & largest states voted for Hillary), but in a tight race the super-delegates and the DNC chose Obama. In the 2008 general election I, being a loyal Democrat, voted the party ticket. I don't like Obama, but I cannot bring myself to vote for the Republican ticket. Therefore, I intend to write in Hillary Clinton, but in my Blue state that will in no way effect the outcome of the election.
  • Izzy Hillary... 2012/08/10 11:06:14
    Izzy
    Vote Green - Dr. Jill Stein
  • Hillary... Izzy 2012/08/10 23:22:55
    HillaryLover
    I love Hillary.
  • sandra.hemmes 2012/08/09 23:33:56
    It should but it doesn't
    sandra.hemmes
    +3
    Voting is all a scam. With computer voting, it is all controlled to change the votes to be what the highest payer paid for. Who is the biggest crook is who wins. this has been going on for at least since the 1970's.
  • Centuri... sandra.... 2012/08/11 22:45:17
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    Yeah, that is how Harry Reid got re-elected in 2010.

Which is WHY we need to go back to paper ballots which have safeguards against tampering and include blue ink on one of the fingers as a sign that a person has voted and cannot vote a second and multiple other times. We also need to arrange it so that we have to go to a polling place rather than EVERY person vote by mail as it is done in Oregon. All types of potential for fraud in that.

Good point.
  • Izzy 2012/08/09 23:14:47
    It should but it doesn't
    Izzy
    +1
    The Powers that Be (Electoral College) have already picked who they want as President - voting is just a formality that is designed to give us the illusion that "we" decide.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/15...

Gallup
  • hilllary 2012/08/09 23:09:36
    hilllary
    +3
    All real americans need to make sure they get out to vote. The liberals have already proved that they want to vote illegals, dead people, dog, cats, so they can elect their king Obummer. Holder has filed law sute against every state who wants a fair election by proveing you are who you say you are and have the right to vote by showing your ID. Is that too much to ask of a person who votes in our country.
  • casey 2012/08/09 22:57:36
    It should but it doesn't
    casey
    +1
    I tryed voteing once what a crock. they revoted so many times just so they could get the presedent they wanted. so not fair they also had votes from pets, dead people and disqalified 2 states votes just so they could get the person they wanted now I refuse to vote it is so not the peoples voice that matters only those in power voice matters they just want stupid people to feel that its the people voice that matters so no one gets mad. Its not even a free country anymore they have messed with the constitution so much they have debunked most of what it stands for.
  • Elnaam 2012/08/09 22:54:09
    It should but it doesn't
    Elnaam
    +1
    one man or woman, one vote only applies to local and state casting of ballots???????.......
  • Centuri... Elnaam 2012/08/11 22:54:06
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    Not necessarily Elnaam. It seems that in some localities people vote multiple times.

Here is just one example of some people voting multiple times.;

http://www.conservativeaction...

The question is, How many people did this how many times to elect obama? If these votes were re-tallied and ballots shown to be fraudulent, would obama be living in the White House right now or in a Luxury Condominium in Indonesia?

What happened in 2008 was a complete breakdown in the integrity of our election system just to "Elect an African American" and the country has been paying for it ever since. This is a disgrace.
  • Elnaam Centuri... 2012/08/22 13:56:24
    Elnaam
    Your statements are a direct contradiction of statistics? From all that I've read and heard statistically less than 1% of all ballots were proved to be fraudulent? Now I could be off in my assessment of your opinion but I don't think so, " You dislike the fact that the President of this country is of so-called, " African-American " decent. You may as well let it go he has nearly served his entire term and that is never going to change. There is no voter fraud that justifies changing the way in which people have identified them selves historically. These laws are designed to diminish African-American, Seniors and the poor ability to get to their poling places to cast their vote. OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE AND FOR THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!
  • Centuri... Elnaam 2012/08/22 21:53:39
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    I really don't care what color a president's skin is.

I was voting for Alan Keyes in the 1996 and 2000 primaries.

I would have voted for Herman Cain had he stayed in till the Oregon Primary. What I dislike about Mr. obama is that he is a foreign usurping, socialist, marxist running my country into the ground. Between his unconstitutional appointment of czars and destroying of our economy, he is the worst thing to happen to our country in my lifetime, surely longer than that.

If black people want to vote then I support their right to do so. I will go so far as to fight another white person trying to suppress their vote. However, it should be ONE Person One Vote, not multiple votes to any person based on skin color or sexual orientation.

I do hope that proof comes about that his entire term was illegal and that everything that he did becomes null and void. If a white man had been elected and did all of the unconstitutional acts obama has, he would have been stripped of office and run out of the country a long time ago. Whats more, I would have wanted to see that white man run out of the country. obama was given a free pass simply because he was a black democrat.
  • john.k.... Centuri... 2014/06/20 18:46:24 (edited)
    john.k.thompson1
    Absolutely True. Obama continues to enjoy using his all-purpose Race Card to nullify a cowardly/spineless Congress. We the people should impeach the jihadist-in-chief, but so many are afraid some people may go all Rodney King across the blue states. I say: "Lock & Load, America!"..... fight for your Representative Repuplic or lose it forever ..... (like Ms Lois Learner's emails)
  • johnnyg 2012/08/09 22:30:31 (edited)
  • Diddley Squat 2012/08/09 22:29:32
    Diddley Squat
    It sure does! That's what a democracy is - every vote counts. It doesn't matter who I am, my vote counts the same way as anybody else's.

And that, my feller Americans, is why the Republicans are working so hard to suppress voting in districts where they're weak and among ethnic groups that they fear they can't win.

And it is a big deal!!! We can't let them get away with it!!!

working suppress voting districts weak ethnic groups fear win deal
  • Elnaam Diddley... 2012/08/09 22:58:10
    Elnaam
    +2
    This government is not A DEMOCRATIC FORM OF GOVERNMENT, IT IS A REPUBLIC FORM OF GOVERNMENT. READ THE CONSTITUTION AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO READ VERY MUCH BEFORE IT SPELLS OUT WHAT KIND OF GOVERNMENT OF THIS COUNTRY IS:-0
  • BonnieD... Diddley... 2012/08/10 03:25:06
    BonnieDeutsch
    +1
    SORRY, BUT YOU'RE WRONG ! My vote doesn't count in this Presidential election. I am a Republican in a very blue state, Illinois. The electoral college prevents my vote from counting in a national election.
  • KG 2012/08/09 22:28:29
    It should but it doesn't
    KG
    +2
    I'm over here in Cali in an area surrounded by brainwashed Obama supporters. He can do no wrong type.
  • jayteah 2012/08/09 22:26:12
    jayteah
    +3
    19 states don't check voter I.D.'s only someone stupid wouldn't understand that's for a reason.
  • alun.palmer 2012/08/09 22:24:09
    alun.palmer
    I can't vote anyway, because I'm an alien. Note that all seven of the states that CNN rate as a tossup lean Obama, and that he only needs two of them to win (except the combination of CO and NV, which isn't quite enough to win). IOW, Mitt the Twit is history anyway.

Unless, of course, the GOP can disqualify enough voters for lack of ID in PA and WI, then they could win those and they aren't even swing states, but blue states. So, perhaps I should have voted yes, but only if you live in a blue state that now has a voter ID law.
  • john.k.... alun.pa... 2014/06/20 18:54:32 (edited)
    john.k.thompson1
    How do you cash your welfare check, or any "other" benefits check or apply for your food stamps without valid I.D.?.... nice try, troll.
  • James 2012/08/09 21:46:11
    It should but it doesn't
    James
    +1
    The only thing my vote will indicate is that I know there are more than two candidates, and I didn't vote for either of the asses who can buy the office.
  • Grace 2012/08/09 21:42:16
    It should but it doesn't
    Grace
    I sometimes wonder if my vote matters. I live in a Red state and am a Blue person.
  • Karen Jonsson 2012/08/09 21:26:06
    Karen Jonsson
    No it does not and it is very funny to me how people say, "I am not voting for him and that's that! As though the candidate is waiting with baited breath for their vote. No one's vote alone could possibly matter. Never has it come down to one vote. People like to point out Kennedy and Nixon, it was close in popular votes but not close in electoral votes. I live in Ohio and our collective votes will count to probably decide the election that's all. People also think that because more people from one side posts that it must mean that their candidate will win. Perhaps people on the other side do not wish to post? Only the ones with the biggest mouths are posting around *itching and moaning. People who are happy with their choice do not have to complain. Me? I am complaining about Romney Hood deluging the Olympics with his ridiculous commercials paid for by robber baron money.

2014/10/02 04:41:06