Does Your Vote Matter if You Live in a Red State or a Blue State?

Chris D 2012/08/08 18:00:00
Every presidential election year in recent memory comes down to the same crucial swing states: Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Colorado and Nevada... give or take a state or two.

I live in California, so I don't think it really matters who I vote for because the Democrat will almost always win, due to California being a blue state. Of course, I always do vote because it's my civic responsibility, but does it really even matter if you live in an entrenched "red" (Republican) or "blue" (Democrat) state?

CNN.COM reports:
The CNN Electoral Map is CNN's best estimate of the key states that will likely decide the 2012 presidential election. The map will be updated as the campaign progresses. Use the map to predict which candidate will win each state and see who reaches 270 electoral votes first.
2012 cnn election map

Read More: http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/ecalculator#?batt...

• Daryl 2012/08/08 18:03:02
    Daryl
    +18
    Not really. Only if you live in a swing state.

I do and I plan to vote.

I am non-union so I will only be voting once.

• smoke 2012/08/10 02:30:51 (edited)
    smoke
    +3
    The problem is people who truly think their vote doesn't count, and therefore they don't "bother" to vote. Along comes a group like ACORN that brings everyone eligible, and many who are not eligible to the polls. "The people" matter more than they realize, and can do much to help themselves and the country. Get involved, get informed, and get the young folks around you registered to vote and help them to get to the polls when ever you can. I am just one person, but I have rounded up a total of at least 35 young people including my adult grandchildren, and gotten them registered to vote. This November they will be voting to replace Obama. Imagine if one million people did as I and got young people interested and concerned enough to make a difference. Would it matter? YOU BET IT WOULD!!!
  • BonnieD... smoke 2012/08/10 03:05:07
    BonnieDeutsch
    +2
    Please come to Cook County PLEASE ! Illinois has always been a blue state and it's very frustrating not to have my vote count. We must get rid of the electoral college for my vote to count. But, thank you for doing a great job in getting all those people to get registered.
    (I was a Republican election Judge for many years and felt that it was my duty as an American citizen to participate in the election process .)
  • Soundstorm 2012/08/10 02:27:49 (edited)
    Soundstorm
    +6
    Washington State may be as blue as sin particularly around the kooky Seattle area which boasts a shrine to Lenin. But my vote matters even less if I don't vote.

Fremont Lenin Statue

Here he is getting into the gayer swing of things.

Fremont Lenin Statue
  • MkB Soundstorm 2012/08/11 05:55:16
    MkB
    It does?!
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2012/08/10 01:52:09
    It should but it doesn't
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +3
    Thanks to the outdated, idiotic electoral college.
  • BonnieD... ««Ginge... 2012/08/10 03:06:20
    BonnieDeutsch
    It takes one to know one !!
  • ««Ginge... BonnieD... 2012/08/10 06:35:47
    My dog could eat your dog.
  • BonnieD... ««Ginge... 2012/08/10 06:40:52
    BonnieDeutsch
    +1
    No dog fights here. I was agreeing with you, doggone it !
  • ««Ginge... BonnieD... 2012/08/10 06:44:37
    Oh, I'm sorry, I have made a terrible mistake!! Our dogs would actually be friends, mine is not violent in any shape or form and would probably love to play with her rope toy with your adorable dog.
  • Soundstorm BonnieD... 2012/08/10 09:00:41
    Soundstorm
    Ahhhh shaddapp! You're both a couple of yapping little dogs!

Howling Seagull
  • Soundstorm ««Ginge... 2012/08/10 08:58:43
    Soundstorm
    Still can't let the 2000 election go, can you?
  • ««Ginge... Soundstorm 2012/08/10 16:43:00
    +1
    Are you seriously defending the electoral college? It's total crap. Votes should be taken by percentage. The electoral college literally makes no sense. And no, I never even mentioned the 2000 election, that was all you.
  • Soundstorm ««Ginge... 2012/08/12 00:15:38
    Soundstorm
    The electoral college prevents small concentrated urban populations from choosing our leaders for the rest of the country. It puts every region on an equal footing. That's the real problem liberals have with it.
  • ««Ginge... Soundstorm 2012/08/12 01:49:50
    So would taking it by a percentage as a whole. This has nothing to do with liberal or conservative so don't bother bringing it up.
  • Soundstorm ««Ginge... 2012/08/14 00:25:33
    Soundstorm
    It actually does have something to do with liberal and conservative since urban areas hold a high saturation of liberals. I'm not the one who brought up the electoral college.
  • Charles Braley 2012/08/10 01:40:59
    Charles Braley
    +3
    Every vote counts ---------- regardless of colored State, or political pursuation!
  • Mr. Won... Charles... 2012/08/10 02:07:39
    Mr. Wonderful
    +4
    Every vote should count, but the reality is many don't because of the antiquated Electoral College system. Take a state like Ohio that is almost always a so-called swing state. In 2008 2,501,855 voted for McCain, 2,708,685 voted for Obama. None of 2,501,855 votes for McCain helped him at all. Same thing in other states, where millions of votes are cast for one guy or the other and it means nothing.

If the election was determined only on popular vote nobody's vote counts more.
  • mike schwartz 2012/08/10 01:40:30
    It should but it doesn't
    mike schwartz
    +4
    I live in hopelessly liberal New York State. BTW, I think the left leaning states should be red...as in reds, commies, pinkos etc.
  • Centuri... mike sc... 2012/08/10 08:10:14
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    Greetings Mike,

At one time, it was. This was the last time that I saw the Republican States as blue and the democrat states as Bolshevik Red which was in 1984. I was overseas in Europe and The Middle East in 1988 and 1992 and didn't see the maps on whatever channel was covering the elections.

This was the 1984 election between Ronald Reagan and Komrade Walter Mondalekovskivich.

1984 Reagan Mondale election map

I agree that the left leaning states should be depicted in red, it seems more......appropriate.

Bolshevik Red
  • MkB Centuri... 2012/08/11 05:58:07
    MkB
    +1
    I was a Democrat then and voted for Mondale. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
  • Centuri... MkB 2012/08/11 22:24:44
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    It is o.k. I was a democrat and voted for George Wallace in 1972. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I am sure that we are both much wiser now.
  • MkB Centuri... 2012/08/12 02:12:02
    MkB
    +1
    I am, indeed.
  • Centuri... MkB 2012/08/12 03:33:30
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    I noticed that you were in the Army and it is a family tradition. Military Service is a family tradition in mine as well back to the War between the States. I deviated from tradition a bit and went Air Force. My sons went even more so to the Marine Corps and Navy. My grandson is leaning back toward Army.

I'm pleased to meet you.
  • Gerald 2012/08/10 01:32:40
    Gerald
    +1
    Individually NO. Collectively YES.
  • wysiwis 2012/08/10 01:18:58
    wysiwis
    +4
    And if for no other reason, it gives me the right to bitch and complain about how government is screwing us!
  • Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/08/10 01:11:24
    Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +3
    Nobody's vote matters when it comes to high offices. The candidates are all bought and paid for by the elite financial powers of the world. They hand pick the 2 crappy choices we are given (both of whom will serve THEIR interests, and not ours), and then people go vote and think they made a difference. It's a complete joke.
  • Gerald Steve ☮... 2012/08/10 01:47:24
    Gerald
    +4
    You're right, but most people already know that many of their elected officials are bought & paid for/corrupt. Really, it's what people demand & expect from their government. (but most people don't care 1 way or the other). I mean.....it must be true....or why else would people consistently elect the same politicians into office? BTW: There is no law that says people HAVE to vote Democrat/Republican. There is something called "independent parties".
    I honestly believe that through their voting choices, people have proven that they actually enjoy getting F@#$ed by the government. So in that sense, people get exactly what they deserve...& then some. Unfortunately, myself & many others are forced to suffer for those poor/uninformed voting choices. Such is life in a so called "democracy".
  • Steve ☮... Gerald 2012/08/10 01:53:37
    Steve ☮ R ☮ P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +2
    Bingo.
  • bboy Gerald 2012/08/10 12:53:15
    bboy
    +1
    Actually we live in a republic...we elect representatives to vote on our behalf. In A true democracy every vote would be counted and majority rules. But that's to simple and straight forward for this country we need
    A complicated mess that's corruptible. Besides "and to the democracy for which it stands one nation under god" doesn't sound right
  • Gerald bboy 2012/08/11 17:03:28
    Gerald
    Yes. We live in a "representative democracy". The problem is, the founding fathers never intended there to be "career politicians". They intended more of a revolving congress. Not a congress where you have the same people entrenched there for 10-20 terms. Lifetime appointments should abolished across the board.
    But there would/could be problems in a "direct democracy" too. We are a nation of "laws". In a direct democracy, the will of the majority would have power over any/all minorities. Example: Whites could vote to repeal civil rights for minorities. Straight people could criminalize homosexuality, (or discriminate against it, like in California/Proposition 8) etc. But there must be a better balance between representative & direct democracy. Voter initiatives are great, but they are also susceptible to corruption & outside influence/manipulation. (due to the weak minds & short attention span of most people). In any event, the people should have more say in the running of this country. Especially in issues like drug prohibition, war, the economy, property rights, privacy, civil liberty etc. There is a law on the books that allows for a state initiated "constitutional convention" (Google it for more info), though it's never been implemented (almost once/1 state short) &...&&
    &&&&
    But there would/could be problems in a "direct democracy" too. We are a nation of "laws". In a direct democracy, the will of the majority would have power over any/all minorities. Example: Whites could vote to repeal civil rights for minorities. Straight people could criminalize homosexuality, (or discriminate against it, like in California/Proposition 8) etc. But there must be a better balance between representative & direct democracy. Voter initiatives are great, but they are also susceptible to corruption & outside influence/manipulation. (due to the weak minds & short attention span of most people). In any event, the people should have more say in the running of this country. Especially in issues like drug prohibition, war, the economy, property rights, privacy, civil liberty etc. There is a law on the books that allows for a state initiated "constitutional convention" (Google it for more info), though it's never been implemented (almost once/1 state short) & it's doubtful whether congress, the president & supreme court would ever even allow it to happen. My point is: Just to get something repealed, like.....for example "The War on Drugs", there should be a peaceful way for the will/voice of "the people" to be heard & obeyed.
    It shouldn't take an open rebellion or a freak'n civil war just to get something changed. But in many cases, it seems like that would literally be the only alternative. (unfortunately) While other countries are in open rebellion/revolt & fighting for MORE freedom & civil rights, here @ home we're gradually relinquishing our rights, while preaching & even forcing "democracy" abroad. Why is that & why do we tolerate it?
  • ComeOnNow 2012/08/10 00:53:25
    ComeOnNow
    +5
    Make your donation to a close race in another state. By the way, that is one reason the founding fathers believed in making laws locally. Most of blue states are red except the large cities where people don't get to see reality.
  • shadow76 2012/08/10 00:39:56
    shadow76
    +2
    It is crucial in Colorado!
  • RIP2012 2012/08/10 00:32:22 (edited)
  • Soundstorm RIP2012 2012/08/10 02:31:53
    Soundstorm
    +3
    Isn't it time for these lying PAC ads for Obama to come clean?
  • RIP2012 Soundstorm 2012/08/10 02:33:44 (edited)
  • john.k.... RIP2012 2012/08/10 02:37:36
    john.k.thompson1
    +1
    Some choice. We have a "pro-communist mainstream-media rock-star" Obama vs. a closet socialist and very boring "Mitten-the-Kitten" Romney. Well, isn't it time Barry Soetoro came clean as well? I mean,.. what College graduate thinks there are 58 states?, as Obama said in '08..; " I've been to 57 states and I have one more to go"... I know there are only 50 and I'm not even a College Grad like Barry!... but then,.. I was actually born here! Also, with all the 'protection' and 'cover' he gets as POTUS, the world's most powerful Jihadist; Barack Hussein Obama, will never admit he has always been a radical muslim with the thought processes of a true marxist! At least not before he has successfully bankrupted our country and handed America over to the New World Order via the Federal Reserve Banksters in the EU whom he really serves!
  • RIP2012 john.k.... 2012/08/10 02:41:50
  • Centuri... RIP2012 2012/08/10 08:20:52
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    He might have graduated Magna Cum Laude by affirmative action but he does not impress me. How would you know what honors he may have garnered when his college records are sealed?

Oh yes, I graduated with Honors in both Bachelor of Science and Master's of Education Degrees.
  • RIP2012 Centuri... 2012/08/10 13:23:24
  • john.k.... RIP2012 2014/06/20 17:59:18
    john.k.thompson1
    Are you even an American citizen?.... ( highly questionable. )

2014/10/22 04:46:02