Does the Second Amendment gives us a right of self defense?

Temlakos~POTL~PWCM~JLA~☆ 2013/01/23 22:28:52
Self defense is your absolute right.
Self defense must be subject to a reasonable limit.
Self defense ought to be forbidden, because it's too easy to cover up intent to commit murder.
You don't need a gun to defend yourself. All you need is a smartphone with a 911 app.
I give up. I don't know how to answer.
Ever notice how liberals love to change the definitions of words? Baby? "Fetus" (which is Latin for "unborn calf," by the way). Sex ed? "Family/life curriculum." And on and on.

Well, how about this. Maybe the problem people have with the Second Amendment is that they don't realize that it's all about self-defense! Words like "militia" confuse them, and the liberals are all ready to change the definition, and suggest that "the militia" are the standing army and National Guard! (And the police--and by the way, the Russian term for "police" actually translates as "militia.")

Well, the federal courts say otherwise. So does history. Follow the link below, and you'll see. Hints: DC v. Heller, Nordyke v. King, and affidavit of Thomas Fessenden after the Battle of Bunker Hill.

So you tell me: does the Second Amendment give you the right to defend yourself against attack, with whatever weapon you judge will be up to the job, or does it not?

Read More: http://www.conservativenewsandviews.com/2013/01/23...

Self defense is your absolute right.
    +26
    The right of self-defense is as natural as breathing. And that includes self-defense against tyrannical governments as well as against muggers, serial murderers, and nuts.

• suejkw 2013/04/14 18:49:49
    suejkw
    Guns were never banned from the colonies by the British.One needed a weapon to shoot one's next meal.Colonists did not have their own standing military since we were owned by England.The English military were the only ones here keeping order.
  • maggied45 2013/02/10 06:36:23
    Self defense is your absolute right.
    maggied45
    +3
    The 2nd Amendment doesn't give a right to self-defense, it promises that our right (the one we naturally have) to bear arms is not infringed on. The reason it gives is not self-defense but defense against a tyrannical government.
  • james2013 2013/02/05 02:59:07
    Self defense is your absolute right.
    james2013
    +1
    If someone decides to try to kick in the door to my house, he will be facing a militia of two, me and my wife. If for some reason the government decides that I shouldn't own a firearm, they will be met by the same militia when the knock on the door.
  • Wally-Molon Labe! 2013/01/29 14:53:29
    Self defense is your absolute right.
    Wally-Molon Labe!
    +4
    My right to defend myself and my property against all enemies, foreign or domestic, is a natural right. By virtue of birth the right is mine. Our constitution guarantees that right along with other rights. How I choose to defend myself or with what device is also my right, and shall not be infringed. I will not abide by or submit to any law or order to lay down my arms or give up my rights.

Molon Labe!
  • teachaman~PWCM~JLA 2013/01/28 23:55:59
    Self defense is your absolute right.
    teachaman~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    in truth, the Second Amendment does not give us any rights, nor does anything in the Constitution, for that matter ... the Constitution as a whole LIMITS the authority that "We the People" allow our government to have over us ... the right to bear arms, the right to speech and religious expression, the right to freedom from unreasonable search and seizure - these are HUMAN RIGHTS that are ours simply because of the fact we are human ... NO government can legitimately limit the rights/freedoms of a people - ANY people can legitimately limit the authority of its government ... since the Second Amendment reminds government that it cannot infringe upon the pre-extant right of citizens to own, bear, and defend themselves with firearms it does not in fact give "We the People" anything - it removes from the government any legal temptation to impinge upon the right "We the People" already have
  • average Joe blow 2013/01/27 06:42:36
    Self defense is your absolute right.
    average Joe blow
    +2
    This guy deserves a listen if you seriously want to help our sheriff's and oathkeepers.
  • Boblawbla 2013/01/27 05:49:21
  • John "By God" American 2013/01/27 01:05:30
    Self defense is your absolute right.
    John "By God" American
    +1
    Actually, the Second Amendment doesn't give the right, it simply states that is a right. it is an unalienable right so it is granted by God......
  • Wolf 2013/01/26 09:15:08
    Self defense is your absolute right.
    Wolf
    +4
    2nd Amendment is the protection against tyranny from the inside and outside---today the level of tyranny in this country is at an all time high ---hence the tyrants are worried if they continue---
  • Blueskys 2013/01/26 07:15:14
    Self defense is your absolute right.
    Blueskys
    +4
    Just to clairify- I'm a Liberal, I have no issue with self defense or our right to have weapons. I support liberty.

Your mostly talking about feminists and similar people, whose goals are domination..
    We have a common enemy.

They are not Liberals.
    The Democrats are not a Liberal party.
    Feminists are Individualistic, anti family, tend to support NeoLiberals., and fight for power and domination.

http://www.intellectualtakeou... feminism-19th-century-america
    "...feminists saw something fundamentally wrong with society beyond discrimination against women, and their concepts of 'equality' reflected this..... Women could be equal only after private property and the * family relationships * it encouraged were*eliminated*.,

http://knowledge.sagepub.com/...
    Gender and Power
    Introduction
    At least since the inception of the second wave of feminism, power has been a central concept infeminist theorizing about gender. Early second wave feminist theory and activism were fueled largely by a desire to reveal, critique, and overturn specific relations of power: namely, gender domination and subordination.;....
  • Defend ... Blueskys 2013/01/26 10:55:25
    Defend Western Civlization
    +2
    the DNC is a Liberal Progressive Elitist party which backs total gun confiscation
  • randall... Defend ... 2013/01/26 21:57:51
    randall.perot
    +1
    Please show any literature, quotes or anything to back up this claim. I am not a Democrat, I just try to be a sane and logical person and require more than the lies, half-truths and internet bunk on which to form my opinions.
  • Defend ... randall... 2013/01/26 23:48:23
    Defend Western Civlization
    +2
    The AR-15 Rifle or the so-called "Assault Weapon" was not used in Newtown
    http://video.today.msnbc.msn....

http://triblive.com/opinion/f...
  • randall... Defend ... 2013/01/27 03:16:09
    randall.perot
    +1
    I have fired an AR-15 and know it is not an assault rifle, it just looks like one. What I meant is proof that the DNC is out to confiscate all guns. It seems a bit paranoid and reactionary, I think that they are just co-opting a tragedy for political gain...which is par for the course these days on both sides.
  • Defend ... randall... 2013/01/27 03:22:02
    Defend Western Civlization
    +1
    “Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal.” — Janet Reno, Former U.S. Attorney General

"I don't care about crime, I just want to get the guns." Senator Howard Metzenbaum 1994
    "Gun registration is not enough." - Janet Reno (Attorney General) December 10th, 1993
    "[the United States] can't be so fixed on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans." - President Bill Clinton, Piscataway, NJ March 1, 1993
    "We're here to tell the NRA their nightmare is true! We're going to hammer guns on the anvil of relentless legislative strategy. We're going to beat guns into submission!" - NY Representative Charles Schumer November 30, 1993
    "The American people must be willing to give up a degree of personal privacy in exchange for safety and security." - Louis Freeh 1993 (FBI director)
    "Our task of creating a Socialist America can only succeed when those who would resist us have been totally disarmed.\" Sarah Brady, Chairman, Handgun Control Inc.[ Source: The National Educator, January 1994, Pg.3
  • randall... Defend ... 2013/01/27 04:03:45
    randall.perot
    I agree that only an armed populace can remove a tyrannical government, but I had to do some fact checking on these quotes. I could find nothing on the Janet Reno quote, except for a pro-gun site listing falsely attributed or erroneous quotes about gun control stating that this was from an affidavit signed by someone named Fred Diamond claiming to have heard Janet Reno say this in 1984. He is the only known source and this has no verification. I am no fan of Janet Reno, I think she is personally responsible for murder, but I digress. Check it out, you might actually appreciate it. As I said, I support gun ownership, I just support rational debate more. If you check into a lot of these quotes, you find that they originated in articles from such publications as "Soldier of Fortune" and "Guns and Ammo" by non-professional journalists that apparently made up some of the quotes or passed on unverified secondhand information. This site has information about several of these quotes, as well as others I have seen floating around in emails and posts.

http://www.guncite.com/gun_co...

Oh, and Sarah Brady is a former Republican and now independent.
  • Defend ... randall... 2013/01/27 06:01:25
    Defend Western Civlization
    +1
    sara brady is a terrorist socialist thug who wants to destroy Capitalism and turn America into a Dictatorship
    Janet Reno was bill klintons terrorist leader who got a thrill of Slaughtering Americans for not bowing to klintions rapist regime
    i understand you have no clue at all
  • randall... Defend ... 2013/01/29 07:35:37
    randall.perot
    I didn't make this information up, my friend. This is from a pro-gun site that simply wants to present correct and fact-checked information, not spread nonsense from viral emails and hearsay. You are even passing along the bogus information with her name spelled incorrectly that they are discussing on that site as being disseminated erroneously. This link is specifically discussing this, and how it stands counter to the efforts of those making valid pro-gun arguments for so many people to pass on this disinformation marginalizing the entire second amendment movement.

http://www.guncite.com/gun_co...

As I said, I am in agreement with you on Janet Reno...I said that I think she is personally responsible for murder. I am also pro-gun ownership and second amendment (I believe that only an armed populace can remove a tyrannical government, if it comes to that). But, I will not make arguments based on invalid data to prove my point.
  • Defend ... randall... 2013/01/29 10:48:56
    Defend Western Civlization
    its invalid in your opinion
  • Boblawbla randall... 2013/01/27 06:03:56
    Boblawbla
    +1
    As you can plainly see, he has no sources for his crap, and he refuses to answer you. He's not here to discuss or debate, he is here to listen to his keyboard clicks.
  • randall... Boblawbla 2013/01/29 07:39:21
    randall.perot
    +1
    I am starting to think that this guy can't be serious. For the sake of our nation and humanity as a whole, I hope he is a troll.
  • Boblawbla randall... 2013/01/29 14:11:47
    Boblawbla
    +1
    Oh, he's serious alright, I've been going round and round with him for quite some time.... he's just dumb as a box of rocks....
  • randall... Boblawbla 2013/01/29 07:42:38
    randall.perot
    +1
    Now I have to go watch some Arrested Development episodes and read the "Bob Loblaw Law Blog".
  • Boblawbla randall... 2013/01/29 14:13:47
    Boblawbla
    +2
    Too funny!

• Dan ☮ R... randall... 2013/07/09 02:30:21
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    Just to share a personal opinion, I think an affidavit does make him a very good source on the subject and would generally be enough proof for me. In short an affidavit means "if this is false, and I am proven to be a liar, then you can throw me in jail". It gives the quote more credence than standard heresay and if this was in court, his words would be good enough to submit into evidence unless it was a proven lie. We should also keep in mind that it will never be possible to gain absolute proof someone stated something in a more private conversation without a recording, and setting our standards that high is unreasonable unless we want the NSA to have its way with privacy.
  • Boblawbla Blueskys 2013/01/27 05:52:58
    Boblawbla
    +1
    I had to tell these ignorants that I too am a Liberal and I support the 2nd Amendment. This is the kind of crap that the PTB want, to divide and conquer. Partisanship is one of the biggest problems that keep people ignorant.
  • Dagon 2013/01/26 06:32:46
  • randall.perot 2013/01/26 05:39:22
    randall.perot
    +1
    This is laughable. First off, your attack on the usage of the Latin word "fetus" is absurd. You would use the ancient etymology of a word to discredit it's use (and abortion, I take it). Do you object to the usage of the word "penis", since it just means "tail" in Latin? Anyway, feel free to shoot one another up and live in fear of your neighbors. Good times.
  • Defend ... randall... 2013/01/26 10:56:46
    Defend Western Civlization
    +1
    says the Parrot with not clue at all

"There is nothing to take a man's freedom away from him, save other men. To be free, a man must be free of his brothers." -Ayn Rand (Anthem)

"Every movement that seeks to enslave a country, every dictatorship or potential dictatorship, needs some minority group as a scapegoat which it can blame for the nation's troubles and use as a justification of its own demands for dictatorial powers. In Soviet Russia, the scapegoat was the bourgeoisie; in Nazi Germany, it was the Jewish people; in America, it is the businessmen." -Ayn Rand

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others." -Ayn Rand

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: Oh Lord, make my enemies ridiculous. And God granted it." -Voltaire
  • randall... Defend ... 2013/01/26 21:46:00
    randall.perot
    +1
    Says the man that just proved himself to be a parrot by copy and pasting four quotes and stating nothing original. Three of the quotes are from Ayn Rand, which to me is ridiculous as quoting L Ron Hubbard. She was scarred by her own personal experiences and wrote with the venom of an angry child. The second quote is absurd, in the US the state does not and will never use businessmen as a scapegoat. Sure, public opinion was very low in regards to the wealthy during the robber baron era (for damn good reason) and the working class in America has an aversion to the wealthy (again, for damn good reason)...but if you think that the ruling elite class of our society is not the "businessman" that Rand is defending then you are a fool. Our government is meshed entirely into the business sector (financial services, insurance, communications, medical services, war profiteering, etc) and holds the door open for them to abuse the economy, the worker and the nation as a whole. You can go on believing that utopia would be a world in which the individual cares nothing for society or his neighbors and somehow the pinnacle of selfishness will save humanity. It is senseless and truly only plays into the hands of your real enemies.
  • Defend ... randall... 2013/01/26 23:49:26
    Defend Western Civlization
    ah more propaganda Americans will not be the slaves of the liberal progressive elite
  • randall... Defend ... 2013/01/27 03:18:30
    randall.perot
    +1
    You have no response other than that? How is my own original thought about Ayn Rand and her nonsense propaganda? It is formed from my own exposure to her absurd writings. I was looking for some sort of intelligent debate out of you, but I suppose that is too much to ask.
  • Defend ... randall... 2013/01/27 06:04:09
    Defend Western Civlization
    Ayn Rand is better then the Rapist Socialist like obama and his muslim brotherhood allies
    those that back obama in any way are aiding TREASON
  • Boblawbla randall... 2013/01/27 06:19:49
    Boblawbla
    Yeah, he bailed on you! Smart move I'd say.....
  • Boblawbla Defend ... 2013/01/27 06:21:30
    Boblawbla
    +1
    These are responses typical of you.... none! Just ad hominem attacks or you leave. Defend... you are such a dummy!
  • Defend ... Boblawbla 2013/01/27 07:14:48
    Defend Western Civlization
    the only dummy is you
    i do love watching Israel destroy socialist and muslim terrorist
  • Boblawbla randall... 2013/01/27 06:19:01
    Boblawbla
    He is a parrot! (and not very bright) Very perceptive of you! LOL
  • phil.ol... randall... 2013/01/26 12:33:19
    phil.olding.3
    +1
    Funny - my American city is about 50 times safer from violent crime than the average crime rate in all of the U.K.

Plenty of guns here.
  • randall... phil.ol... 2013/01/26 22:07:01
    randall.perot
    I am not against gun ownership. I simply do not think that we have the right to defend ourselves with force at our whim. Our police state isn't even supposed to exercise self-defense to this extent. I simply do not want a nation in which every yahoo carrying a pistol thinks that he is there to exact justice on any potential criminal. I own guns, my entire family does. Hell, my mother carries a .40 in her purse with a concealed carry license. If someone threatens me at a restaurant, is it within my rights to open fire indiscriminately in public and potentially kill bystanders? Can I set a minefield up in my front yard? As for the reason that the crime rate is lower in the US over the last two decades, check out Freakonomics. Bible thumpers will not like the answer provided, but it makes sense..legalized abortion is more responsible for the lower crime rate than the police state or gun ownership.
  • Defend ... randall... 2013/01/26 23:50:09
    Defend Western Civlization
    if you hate freedom move to china

2014/07/28 14:33:44