Does the Patriot Act take away the Constitutional Rights of citizens?

rangimlp 2008/11/07 03:30:44
Background Information:
Have substantial amount of evidence first.
Allows intelligence agencies to be able to share information on criminal and terrorist investigations.
Includes new ways of communications (technology), such as e-mail, voicemail, and cell phones.
Court authorization for wiretap the switching of cell phones. This was already for drug dealers, but now it is also for terrorists.
Terrorists often make use of informal systems to transfer funds in a manner that is difficult to trace. It is now illegal to run an unlicensed foreign money transmittal business.
This is a survey for a controversial issue essay so please don't answer if you don't know anything about the topic.
Also please writing your age would be helpful to know how each age group feels.
You can add why you believe it does/doesn't

• Jordon 2009/09/09 18:57:42
    Jordon
    +3
    With the patriot act we lose our basic freedoms, we lose all privacy we are a couple steps away from a totally policed country where the government knows everything that we are doing. Shortly everyone will have a chip in their license called an RFID chip that tells everyhing about you including where you are. "The Constituion is just a god damn piece of paper." Goerge W. Bush

• Jordon 2009/09/09 18:57:42
    Jordon
    +3
  • Texas Johnny 2008/12/07 04:52:07
    Texas Johnny
    The Patriot Act is a simply a beefed up version of the RICO statutes that we use against organized crime. No one had a problem with the DOJ wiretapping the Mafia or some outlaw biker gang, so why now?. No one is listening in on your cell phone either. I have heard that many people think that it takes away your rights. I have yet to see any story about the average Joe being accused of working for Bin Laden. You would think that since this was the brain-shild of the Bush Admin that the very liberal press would jump on any story that even hinted at some American's rights being violated. I have not heard, seen or read any story to that effect. Because of the Patriot Act, they put down the Lackawana 6, terror cell in up state New York and another group of Islamic Fascist Terrorists training in the Northwest and shutting down a Islamic group in Dallas who funneled money to Al-Qaeda to mention a few. So it begs to call into question some people's idea of a free society. Is a truly free society one that allows everything to happen without asking questions or does it have limits? I think a free society allows you the right to believe and think what you will, but for the good of others there has to be some limits to its expression. If you want to fantisize about killing 100 peop...''""'""'
    The Patriot Act is a simply a beefed up version of the RICO statutes that we use against organized crime. No one had a problem with the DOJ wiretapping the Mafia or some outlaw biker gang, so why now?. No one is listening in on your cell phone either. I have heard that many people think that it takes away your rights. I have yet to see any story about the average Joe being accused of working for Bin Laden. You would think that since this was the brain-shild of the Bush Admin that the very liberal press would jump on any story that even hinted at some American's rights being violated. I have not heard, seen or read any story to that effect. Because of the Patriot Act, they put down the Lackawana 6, terror cell in up state New York and another group of Islamic Fascist Terrorists training in the Northwest and shutting down a Islamic group in Dallas who funneled money to Al-Qaeda to mention a few. So it begs to call into question some people's idea of a free society. Is a truly free society one that allows everything to happen without asking questions or does it have limits? I think a free society allows you the right to believe and think what you will, but for the good of others there has to be some limits to its expression. If you want to fantisize about killing 100 people, you are free to do so, just don't plan to do it or attempt to pull it of. If some guy checks out books on or looks up how to make bombs on the internet in a library would't you think that was a little suspicious? No sane person, in my mind looks up info on how to make a bomb unless they plan to make and use one. The P.A. stretches to include situations like this, because the Islamic Fascists use our "open "society to move around freely and look up anything they want without fear because some librarians and overly zealous civil libertarians will scream tht someone 's constiutional rights are being violated. This is a good example of what they (I.Fs)call: "useful idiots". People who help them who are motavated by a fear of being labeled a bigot or racist.or who lack a basic understanding of who is trying to kill us. I personally do not feel that my rights are being violated in any way. I look up websites on firearms, looking to purchase some and don't see the FBI or ATF hanging aorund my home. So I feel all this paranoia is just fabricated by a lot of nuts who have read too many Robert Ludlum novels or believe everything that Philip K. Dick wrote is coming true.
  • No Country for Young Men 2008/12/07 04:47:14
    No Country for Young Men
    late 20's
    "The Act increases the ability of law enforcement agencies to search telephone, e-mail communications, medical, financial and other records; eases restrictions on foreign intelligence gathering within the United States" -Wikipedia.

The biggest rights violation to come out of the Patriot act is that once you are a suspected terrorist intelligence organizations can investigate you without probable cause or having to get approval from a judge. Even your library books and websites you visit can be used to make a case against you.

Another biggy is the expansion of rolling wiretaps. Any devise used by a suspected terrorist can be tapped public or private. This means that virtually any phone or computer used by multiple people is at risk of being tapped at any time.

The act restricts first amendment rights because now things said and information read can make people suspects. Second amendment rights are violated because purchase histories could potentially make people suspects. Forget about the fourth amendment. The seventh amendment if you are not a citizen.
  • Peggy 2008/11/07 04:37:21
    Peggy
    Age 50's
    Because a warrent has never been denied when requested, I think there is a potential for abuse. I have never had a traffic ticket yet, without any probable cause ........I think you see where I am going with this. I have nothing to hide or fear but what if a potential employer wanted to background one of my childre? Once, years ago, in a moment of stupitity, my child drove while drunk. He hurt only himself and his pride and His money pocket. But the employer only sees the DUI and refuses to hire him. No matter how qualified. Am I being simple minded? Narrow minded? I do not know. I must add with this newly elected president, I have mush less concern for abuse.
    Oh & ignor the idiot who answered first. Moms have a need to state the obvious.

2014/09/02 21:47:54