Does the Constitution need to be taught in law schools?

Conservative in California 2010/03/28 14:01:17
Yes, the Constitution, Federalist Papers, Constitutional Convention, and Founder's intent should most definitely be taught in law schools.
No, the Constitution should not be taught in law schools.  Case law is sufficient.
Were you aware that the Constitution is not being taught in law schools today?

I don't know about the experience of any other people who have been to law school, but I'd estimate that perhaps 0.5% of the time spent in two semesters of Constitutitional Law involved actual time spent on what the Constitution says and what the Founding Fathers intended. We spent no time on the Federalist Papers, the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia was only mentioned simply as a historical fact and no more was discussed on the matter, and the intent of the Founders can't be found anywhere in the books we read. In fact, the only time I recall reading about the Founder's intent was when Justice Scalia wrote the opinion, the concurring opinion, or the dissent in cases.

Instead of learning about the constitution, law schools only teach case law, which is the Supreme Court's interpretation of what the Constitution means. This is important to know how the Constitution is being interpretated today, but considering that the foundation of this nation is based on the Constitution, wouldn't it make more sense to go to the source and learn what the Constitution actually means by the Founding Fathers who wrote the greatest document ever written? based constitution source learn constitution founding fathers wrote document written based constitution source learn constitution founding fathers wrote document written

• Irisheyes 2010/03/28 16:04:24
    Yes, the Constitution, Federalist Papers, Constitutional Convention, and Foun...
    Irisheyes
    +7
    Why even bother, when the Supreme Court seems to rule and make their judgment by interrupting what the Founders intent was and not what it actually says. It needs to be taught in ALL SCHOOLS, not just law school. Most law schools lean left, most law professor are progressives. If its taught earlier the Constitution just might have a chance.

• pko5gt 2012/04/02 14:19:21
    pko5gt
    +2
    YES it should be taught, not only in law school but in grade schools as well. I am 57 years old. When I went to school, we did learn about the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Maybe that is why the government is so afraid of us older citizens........many of us DO KNOW what it is they are are ignoring and trying to destroy.
  • Libertarian Right 2010/03/30 22:45:37
    Libertarian Right
    +3
    Not only should it be taught in law schools, it should be taught in EVERY school! As soon as a child has a decent grasp on reading and comprehension, he/she should begin learning about the Constitution and the grand vision of our Founding Fathers.
  • Mr Mike 2010/03/30 01:07:35
    Mr Mike
    +3
    In my elementary school years, we were tasked to memorize the Declaration of Independence, The US Constitution (as it then stood), and The Bill of Rights. We also held a daily homage to the flag, which involved raising it at dawn, lowering it at dusk, protecting it from rain and folding it with reverence for those who died defending it. In short, we were taught to be American in a straightforward and Colonial fashion...for which I am eternally grateful.
  • Dave In Cali 2010/03/29 17:12:43
    Dave In Cali
    +2
    I agree. It should be taught. Maybe it would put an end to all of the "coffee burned my weewee" lawsuits that helped turn California into nannyville.
  • Dora Rachael 2010/03/29 14:19:53
    Dora Rachael
    +2
    ABSOLUTELY!
  • Conserv... Dora Ra... 2010/03/29 21:34:22
    Conservative in California
    +2
    I thought of a great idea that I'm sure would be a huge money maker for someone like Glenn Beck or Ken Burns, and would provide American's much needed information. I remember buying a 9 part series on New York City (about 18 hours in all), and Ken Burns has done similar things with baseball, the Civil War, and Jazz. Nobody has ever done a documentary on the US Constitution. If someone were to put together a bunch of historians and legal scholars and definitely interview Justices Scalia, Thomas, Roberts, and Alito about the history of the Constitution, how it came about, the Constitutional Convention, and what the Constitution meant from the Founders, that would be wildly popular, and great for America.

Furthermore, when law students are studying constitutional law, they are not studying the constitution, but a judge's interpretation of the Constitution who also never studied the constitution but only studied a previous judge's interpretation of the constitution. That's like trying to be a Christian by never actually reading the Bible but simply visiting a bunch of different churches of pastors who also never read and studied the Bible when they learned the ministry but learned only by visiting other churches to hear what other ministers had to said. The Constitution needs to be studied in law schools again.
  • Dora Ra... Conserv... 2010/03/30 14:55:21
    Dora Rachael
    +3
    I agree. That would definitely be a great thing. Maybe we should pass the idea on to Glenn Beck.

You are always spot on.
  • BK 2010/03/29 13:22:26
    BK
    +1
    Seems kind of like a no-brainer to me, but I'm not surprised in the least bit that no official time is spent studying the source of all those erroneous opinions, since a lot of decisions are made by judges to interpret the Constitution that seem to have no basis in the actual owrds of the Constitution, or at the very least, seem to not take into account the words of the people who wrote and ratified it, nor seem to take into account the sum total of the document. The Commerce Clause is a prime example of that.
  • Eric 2010/03/29 09:01:01
    Eric
    +2
    It should be taught everywhere.
  • jast 2010/03/29 05:12:58
    jast
  • mike 2010/03/29 03:19:53
    mike
  • Israelite 2010/03/29 02:32:58
    Israelite
    +2
    obummer is a constitutional lawyer! what better way to destroy something . you must study your enemy to destroy it . just saying
  • Eric Israelite 2010/03/29 09:09:50
    Eric
    +4
    We know nothing about semi-bro before his Shitcago days. Hope and Change is really Hoax and Chains.
  • Israelite Eric 2010/03/30 03:13:40
    Israelite
    +2
    laughing my ass off .well said
  • Conserv... Eric 2010/03/30 05:20:07
    Conservative in California
    We the People turned against him, then his party will turn against him, then Congress will turn Republican, then he will lose 49 States, then liberals will be replaced with originalists in the Supreme Court, then 70 years of Progressivism will be dismantled.
  • Heffeweizen 2010/03/29 02:17:26
    Heffeweizen
    +4
    YES! How can the Constitution be interpreted when it's never been taught?
  • Conserv... Heffewe... 2010/03/29 02:18:44
    Conservative in California
    +2
    We go off of what other judge's thought the Constitution meant...who, of course, never studied the constitution either...
  • Heffewe... Conserv... 2010/03/29 02:21:31
    Heffeweizen
    +2
    ...which is why we are in the mess we are in now!
  • Conserv... Heffewe... 2010/03/29 02:30:05
    Conservative in California
    +2
    that's what Progressives intended when they replaced learning the constitution in law school with case law.
  • Steve O 2010/03/28 23:42:32
    Steve O
    +3
    How can you represent the law of the land when you don't know what the laws are?
  • Eric Steve O 2010/03/29 09:14:13 (edited)
    Eric
    +2
    When the constitution comes down to the proverbial 5 to 4 vote on things that are not even in the constitution, like abortion, we are in trouble. Making laws from the bench is unconstitutional. I'm not saying that it's right or wrong. I'm saying that the Supreme Court is not the be all or end all of justice. I hate progressive scumbags. There, I said it.
  • Steve O Eric 2010/03/29 17:54:54
    Steve O
    +1
    I agree completely
  • menopau... Eric 2012/05/19 02:32:45
    menopausin~Praying For America
    Amen Amen Amen!!!!! To ALL you said.
  • beachbum 2010/03/28 23:33:17
    beachbum
    +4
    You bet it should - and it should be taught starting in middle school, and every single year until the student graduates from high school. Should be a requirement as is everything else for graduation.
  • susie 2010/03/28 23:30:26
    susie
    +4
    damn right it should be taught ---not by liberal professors who are loony lefties!!!
  • XZQZQ 2010/03/28 23:24:48
    XZQZQ
  • menopausin~Praying For America 2010/03/28 21:41:54
    menopausin~Praying For America
    +4
    Start teaching it K-12!!! Don't wait til college. That gives too many chances to be brainwashed!!
  • pko5gt menopau... 2012/04/02 13:54:51 (edited)
    pko5gt
    +4
    I am 57 years old. When I went to school, we did learn about the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Maybe that is why the government is so afraid of us older citizens........many of us DO KNOW what it is they are are ignoring and trying to destroy.
  • menopau... pko5gt 2012/05/19 02:38:41
    menopausin~Praying For America
    Teach it as it was meant to be by the Founding Fathers. Not as it's 'interpreted'. They can read and they KNOW EXACTLY how it was meant to be. i kinda wish I could be in office just one term. We'd go back to the Constitution...the way they 'wrote it to be'. That wasn't said like i wanted to, but you know what I mean. it's been a rough week. constitution constitution
  • true american 2010/03/28 21:26:39
    true american
    +3
    YES,YES,AND YES!!!!!!!!
  • In vino veritas 2010/03/28 20:37:09
    In vino veritas
    +6
    Law school, sure....all schools, even more important! Imagine our children learning the significance of the Constitution as it applies to American life, we may not be in this shithole situation we find ourselves at the moment,grrrrrrr! http://www.wku.edu/Library/dl...
  • phoenix AFCL 2010/03/28 20:29:11
    phoenix AFCL
    +1
    Hmmm.. thot Bo taught Constitutional Law at Columbia. Another lie..?? lol
  • XZQZQ phoenix... 2010/03/28 23:25:54
    XZQZQ
    +3
    He taught un-Constitutional Law...
  • phoenix... XZQZQ 2010/03/28 23:34:21
  • Empress 2010/03/28 18:45:51
    Empress
    +3
    It is a sad fact that the constitution is not being taught in law schools. Why bypass what our forefathers wanted for this country? Those documents were written with the hope that future generations to come not only learn from them, but benefit from them as well. Hopefully, one day the law schools around the country will reconize this.
    +3
    HECK YEAH!
  • thinkaboutit 2010/03/28 18:21:33
    thinkaboutit
    +3
    im not sure why its not taught in law school anymore as it sets the standard for which any other laws should be written. but i have heard this before so no i didnt surprise me.
  • Conserv... thinkab... 2010/03/28 19:40:10
    Conservative in California
    +4
    Progressive plan since the 1920's. If you can get away from the original Founding document, through incrementalism, progressives can turn a Constitution with limited and enumerated powers into a "living, breathing document" that they think should be interpretated with changing times.
  • thinkab... Conserv... 2010/03/28 22:19:09
    thinkaboutit
    +3
    you are very right. but its been going on longer than that
  • Eric thinkab... 2010/03/29 09:17:48
    Eric
    +1
    It actually started with Teddy Roosevelt. I used to admire him, until I found out he was a progressive scumbag. I could add more, but I don't want to get profane.

2014/07/28 18:47:35