Does the 9th commandment apply to all lies?

Körïnthïän 2009/03/20 20:43:24
### BONUS QUESTION: How about lying to yourself? Does that count?

Inspired by/rip-off of cynical jones' poll: http://www.sodahead.com/question/287265/lying-for-jesus-what-...

• troy82 - Christ is returnin... 2009/03/21 10:50:44
    It applies to all lies, big or small.
    troy82 - Christ is returning, Today!
    +6
    1Peter 2:1 Therefore, putting aside all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander,

Christians are to follow the teachings of God through His disciples - all is all......a Christian is not to lie!

It applies to all lies, big or small.
    All the other answers to questions are all foolish. A lie is a lie. Christians get caught in this all the time. IT IS BECAUSE cHRISTIANS GET HIT A LOT MORE OFTEN THAN THE NON... SATAN HATES CHRISTIANS. gOD IS RIGHT THERE TO FORGIVE. cHRISTIANS NEED TO WANT TO GET ROIGHT WITH gOD.
  • theshleepybear 2009/06/27 22:46:57
    *Splutter*
    theshleepybear
    Lies that are made with the intention of hurting others are intensely wrong.

Lies about-I have no idea where the last cheetos went, mom-are still wrong, but not on the same level.

Lying to a friend about where you are taking her for her surprise birthday party isn't reprehensible at all.
  • Jon 2009/05/23 23:36:47
    It applies to all lies, big or small.
    Jon
    it's better to be truthful and/or exaggerate. applies lies truthful andor exaggerate
  • DemonKiTTiE ♥ In MUSE I Tru... 2009/04/06 12:39:43
    Christians never lie.
    DemonKiTTiE ♥ In MUSE I Trust ♥
    +2
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

Right.... The NEVER lie...

christians lie bwahahahahahaha lie
  • NickName his Dudeness 2009/03/23 19:05:39
    Christians are willingly breaking commandments left and right, assured that t...
    NickName his Dudeness
    +2
    That's why I want to become a Christian, so I can absolve myself of all responsibility of anything at all.
  • Vaalthurion 2009/03/22 01:53:31
    No, it doesn't apply to white lies.
    Vaalthurion
    +3
    I picked that it doesn't apply to white lies because there wasn't an option closer to mine.

Christians are to speak the truth to whomever the truth is due. The question now becomes 'Is there a case for a Justified Lie?' I think there is.

If a murderer comes into your house and asks where your kids are so that he may end their lives, it is you moral obligation to decieve him and lie as much as possible in order to spare the lives of your children, Christian or no. I don't think a Christian is obligated to provide the truth to someone will ill-intent any more than a quarterback is obligated to tell the other team of his defense. Or the same situation in a war-time scenario where a soldier tells his enemy how he is about to attack him.

There are several instances in the bible where individuals have lied and then been counted as heroes in the end. Rahab, being one.

I think in cases where a Christian can lie to prevent evil from happening is a legitimate reason to do so. However, use your own judgement as the situation deems fit, and trust the Holy Spirit.
  • Blade M... Vaalthu... 2009/03/28 05:28:11
    Blade Master
    +1
    Also it is necessary on a regular basis to lie to your girlfriend or wife. Questions like: "Am I right?" "Does this dress make me look fat?" "Where were you last night?" "Do you think you're smarter than me?" "Are you attracted to my sister?" and so on usually require a lie to answer otherwise the sofa or car becomes your bedroom for months on end. A relationship can never exist if the man has to be completely honest about every aspect of his life. Lies are necessary for a relationship to succeed.
  • Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥ 2009/03/21 22:22:38
    *Splutter*
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    +1
    The ninth commandment doesn't say anything about "lies", it says not to bear false witness against thy neighbor. Rahab the harlot lied about the spies having left to save their lives, and was rewarded with her life.
  • triskai... Dave Sa... 2009/03/22 03:46:45
    triskaideka
    +1
    very good illustration of the point. =)
  • luly 2009/03/21 19:19:14
    It applies to all lies, big or small.
    luly
    Lies are are not good,even to yourself. One will always lead to another one. A lie to cover a lie..the ball keeps rolling.
  • Rusty Shackelford 2009/03/21 17:51:20
    Rusty Shackelford
    +1
    *insert something about forgiveness here*
  • Poetic Warrior 2009/03/21 17:29:39
    It applies to all lies, big or small.
    Poetic Warrior
    +1
    In Ephesians 4:29 it says Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Corrupt means according to the ancient greek rotten, that is, worthless (literally or morally): - bad, corrupt. So I would take it that lies, which can be viewed as corrupt, rotten because it does not benefit the person saying it or the person hearing it.

One of the dictionary definitions of corrupt is when used as a verb.... to alter (a language, text, etc.) for the worse; debase. So lies are lies whether they are to yourself or others it is considered wrong, in the eyes of society and God. verb alter language debase lies lies wrong eyes society god
  • jess - free to be me 2009/03/21 15:39:30
    It applies to all lies, big or small.
    jess - free to be me
    +2
    Just because we are Christians does not mean we will not sin we are all HUMAN which means we are weak and we will fail. IT just means that we are forgiven and we have a relationship with God and that we are trying to not sin and live according to Gods will. Even God knows we will fail thats why he Died on the cross for us....
  • Rick jess - ... 2009/03/21 15:49:54
    Rick
    +1
    Amen jess. We just do the best we can which would never be good enough without the blood.
  • jess - ... Rick 2009/03/21 16:23:09
    jess - free to be me
    +1
    exactly But it stuns me to others can not get that.. To me it is just so easy to understand
  • Rick 2009/03/21 15:37:24
    It applies to all lies, big or small.
    Rick
    +2
    Christians aren't under the law. So I'm not going to worry about it.
  • Mollybdamned American Atheist 2009/03/21 14:46:03
    Mollybdamned American Atheist
    +1
    Fundamentalist mental midgets, (which are not ALL Christians) are very good at lying, deceiveing, and out right distortion but also think if they are contrite they will be forgiven for being the ass holes they really turn out to be.
    It applies to all lies, big or small.
    troy82 - Christ is returning, Today!
    +6

• TommyB troy82 ... 2009/03/21 13:40:48 (edited)
    TommyB
    +2
    We're not to lie but we do. That is why Jesus went to the cross for us! He paid the price for ALL of our sins. He didn't cherry pick, He didn't say " eenie, meanie, miney,mo, this is the sin that has to go." Of course we're not supposed to lie-Neither are we to cheat, steal, murder, gossip, masturbate, etc., but we do. There has only been one perfect person to trod this earth, and He did so two-thousand years ago. And, yes. I can back up everything I say in Scripture but that generally turns off those looking for honest answers. Why cite a work in which they don't believe. Love never fails and The Word never comes back void. scripture generally turns honest answers cite work love fails void scripture generally turns honest answers cite work love fails void
  • GINGERB... troy82 ... 2009/03/21 15:14:42
    GINGERBREAD
    +1
    Please, let's not be naive. If telling a lie will save some one from death or destruction, in my opinion, it's all very well to tell an untruth. You cannot say that by keeping silent, when your silence is an admittance about the person you are trying to save, is okay. It's your judgement that is in question.
  • troy82 ... GINGERB... 2009/03/21 19:44:18
    troy82 - Christ is returning, Today!
    we do see a couple instances in The Bible where lying was used to save an innocent persons life - the spies at Jericho and Paul, all escaping due to others not telling the truth - this does NOT condone day to day fibs, but MAY in the event of an unjust killing.I will not ever teach it as being a normal response .
  • RanceCo... troy82 ... 2009/03/27 23:06:37
    RanceCo R.I.P. MJ
    Nor are they to slander.........you conveniently seem to ignore that one.
  • troy82 ... RanceCo... 2009/03/27 23:22:21
    troy82 - Christ is returning, Today!
    since you are obviously judging me of this, please enlighten me as to where!?
  • RanceCo... troy82 ... 2009/03/27 23:53:03 (edited)
    RanceCo R.I.P. MJ
    I'm not judging you at all. I am just showing you the hypocrisy of your ways. While these are just a few of your slanderous statements, there are many more. How would you feel if someone upon hearing you profess to be a Christian called you a liar, as you have done hear? Be careful, you trod upon dangerous ground. Again, not judging, just reminding.
    1 Samuel 16:7 But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

Do You Fight For Your Beliefs As A Christian & Proclaim It Is The Only Way?
    Comment: hitler was as muc has Christian as obama is - not at all......

Describe President Obama in one word?
    Comment: hungover

Do Liberals really have a mental problem?
    Comment: I believ it falls somewhere between adolescence, egotism and ignorance - obo being the prime example!

Does Obama need to take more naps?
    Comment: he'sjust drunk from all the parties he's throwing.....wait until washington runs out of booze and his hangover kicks in.

Is it right for Obama to spent 30 Billion dollars on F...

'"

&'
    ''

'

Describe President Obama in one word?
    Comment: hungover

Does Obama need to take more naps?

Is it right for Obama to spent 30 Billion dollars on Foreigners who hate America with no returns on the money spent on Abortions overseas?
    Comment: This is his sub-conscience screaming - Why didn't my mommy abort me back in Africa" he now wants all our lives to be miserable, and hate our roots - as he does.....

Majority Of U.S. States Join Sovereignty Movement, Assert 10th Amendment Rights. Is Your State On The List?
    Comment: I am not surprised, jim doyle and our democratic leadership has his head so far up balock pajammba's posterier that all he see's is the same dollar signs ole barry is thinking about.

Does this give you the creeps? Obama's Triumphal Entry on a Donkey?
    Comment: Just another blasphemous anti-Christ coming to power - he will fall, hard!
  • troy82 ... RanceCo... 2009/03/28 00:04:57
    troy82 - Christ is returning, Today!
    so which one is slander? he has done everything stated here! he shows ZERO fruit of THE SPIRIT, belongs to a bigoted, black liberation church, nort a Christian church - the words in the title mean nothing - again, the fruit....Party after party in the White house, and uses the too tired excuse, its not like anyone made that excuse up.....there are maybe 2 psychiatrists on the planet that say obo is not an egotistical narcissist...supporting abortion here and worldwide - not anything resembling fruit,....jim doyle is doing the same drunken sailor spending as obo, with the funds from obo and company.with no care of how they will be paying them back........riding the donkey and the whole pillar scene are repulsive to say the least! Although maybe not all the greatest responses at every moment, I stand firm behind them, and will have no problem on judgement day because of them!. You on the other hand, seem to be holding this obamanation in extremely high regard - you may want to think about looking inward
  • RanceCo... troy82 ... 2009/03/28 00:26:26
    RanceCo R.I.P. MJ
    Here, let me educate you.
    Slander is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government or nation a negative image.

Did you know that being a Christian is about a personal relationship with Christ, and not about a church afiliation? Did you know that calling someone out of their name in a negative manner is a form of slander? Did you know that if you cursed your neighbor out an hour ago, and repented and asked for forgiveness, if I maliciously ran to tell someone about it now, I would be lying on you? When you repent to God, he throws your transgression into the sea of forgetfulness which is as far from you as the east is to the west. Only God knows the heart of man. Mine, Sir, is just a warning. Don't ask me why it was put on my heart to tell you, someone who have not dialogued with, this information, but it was. Again, just be careful. Judge not, lest ye be judged. By the "fruit" you have displayed in many of your replies, one could easily say that you yourself are not a Christian. They would be just as wrong as you have been, for no one but you and God truly know. Not even if 10,000 people witnessed what they thought was your born again experience. No one is imp...''''""

''
    Here, let me educate you.

Did you know that being a Christian is about a personal relationship with Christ, and not about a church afiliation? Did you know that calling someone out of their name in a negative manner is a form of slander? Did you know that if you cursed your neighbor out an hour ago, and repented and asked for forgiveness, if I maliciously ran to tell someone about it now, I would be lying on you? When you repent to God, he throws your transgression into the sea of forgetfulness which is as far from you as the east is to the west. Only God knows the heart of man. Mine, Sir, is just a warning. Don't ask me why it was put on my heart to tell you, someone who have not dialogued with, this information, but it was. Again, just be careful. Judge not, lest ye be judged. By the "fruit" you have displayed in many of your replies, one could easily say that you yourself are not a Christian. They would be just as wrong as you have been, for no one but you and God truly know. Not even if 10,000 people witnessed what they thought was your born again experience. No one is implying that you can't disagree with a person's policies or actions. But leave it at that. Calling the person out of their name, and questioning their faith is slap in God's face. Remember, He is no respecter of persons. Don't be one of those who called on the Lord at judgement and was told "Depart from me, ye worker of iniquity, I never knew you." If you REALLY want to do something constructive for our country, join me in adhering to:
    If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    Now THIS is where we can do some good! We must humble ourselves, pray, seek His face, turn from OUR wicked ways (yes, He's talking to His children, Christians). Because we are saved does not mean that we don't still have wicked ways and sin. To believe such is to call Jesus a liar. The Bible also tells us to pray for our leaders. Are we to just pick and choose those things written there that we want to do and discard the others? Blessings to you and yours, and have a great weekend.
  • troy82 ... RanceCo... 2009/03/28 00:36:11
    troy82 - Christ is returning, Today!
    so, Hitler was a Christian in you view?......

1Cor 5:12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within {the church?}

does this not apply to you or obama?

ALL of Scripture my friend -
    Mat 7:6 "Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

I see NOTHING in any part of the liar obam,a's walk that would give the impression that he is saved - his own words deny his belief or fear of The Lord.
  • RanceCo... troy82 ... 2009/03/28 00:45:23
    RanceCo R.I.P. MJ
    Please, if you're going to purport to quote scripture, please keep it in context.

1 Cor 5: 11But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

Again, Sir, in context.

1 “Do not judge so that you will not be judged. 2 “For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. 3 “Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 4 “Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and behold, the log is in your own eye? 5 “You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.

The good thing about serving God is that it doesn't matter what you see or don't see! It only matters what God knows!
  • troy82 ... RanceCo... 2009/03/28 00:49:09
    troy82 - Christ is returning, Today!
    5: 11 describes obo almost word for word - It is really sad you cant see that.....After now looking at your friends list and more of your responses, I see where your ideology comes from....feel free to stop judging ANYONE at any moment-.good bye.
  • troy82 ... RanceCo... 2009/03/28 00:24:13
    troy82 - Christ is returning, Today!
    let me get this straight....these ARE Christian responses....or is it different if you are buisy bowing to the obamanation....thats called IDOLATRY

the first responses of yours I looked at - from 2 random posts:

Care to cut and paste intelligently? Care to post some facts to support your cockamamy stance? Your little delusional way of thinking? I suppose not - you would rather continue to look like an idiot.

[-] ranceco... replied to Ms. Mom posted 1 hour ago
    How, unless completely deranged, would anyone gather from her reply that she is racist? You are delusional. Go ahead and block after you make a "witty" comeback. I hear that that's what you do best.

[-] ranceco... replied to Ms. Mom posted 16 minutes ago
    It's obvious that since you don't have a mind, you can't handle ANY thought!

] ranceco... replied to Ms. Mom posted 58 minutes ago
    No spamming, mummy, ye mighty mistian one. Just appropriate responses to your drivel. Now that you have found your excuse to block, I'm sure you'll do just that, being the coward that you are. Go ahead, get your little comment in, then block and run.

ranceco... replied to Ms. Mom posted 56 minutes ago
    Thank your mommy for supplying me with your family album! Go ahead block now. I know you're just itching to. Go on. You know you want to get a dig in, ...

''

Thank your mommy for supplying me with your family album! Go ahead block now. I know you're just itching to. Go on. You know you want to get a dig in, then block like a cry baby.

-] ranceco... replied to BozzBoorer posted 4 days ago
    And you're the illiterate in idiots' clothing!

] ranceco... replied to BozzBoorer posted 1 day ago
    Are you on psychotropic drugs?
  • RanceCo... troy82 ... 2009/03/28 00:32:03
    RanceCo R.I.P. MJ
    And I know every one of these people I responded to PERSONALLY. Do you KNOW who you slandered? These people also have the privilege of responding to any accusation I make. Did yours?
  • troy82 ... RanceCo... 2009/03/28 00:41:16 (edited)
    troy82 - Christ is returning, Today!
    yes- what makes you think otherwise? are you not now slandering me?
    edit: I have a couple people blocked, yes, but I also cannot post to them either because of my block.....get it?
  • RanceCo... troy82 ... 2009/03/28 00:47:32
    RanceCo R.I.P. MJ
    No, I actually don't get it. Nowhere have I slandered you.
  • troy82 ... RanceCo... 2009/03/28 00:58:23
    troy82 - Christ is returning, Today!
    then I will leave it at yes - they all have the ability to respond.
    cussing me of not allowing answers without any knowledge of it? Yes, most of those on my blocked list are on your friends list - for bigotry, hate and idolatry.....so at some point they may have wanted to respond again, but most of them blocked me first, so I blocked so that they could no longer unblock, post and reblock - like it or not, that IS the truth on [some] of you "friends" and - "how they roll".....I learned this about them the hard way, needing to piggyback others just to vindicate myself - and no, I dont keep track of each one
    [ unlike some] but know this first hand to be fact. Notice I did not name names.....
  • TommyB 2009/03/21 05:24:57 (edited)
    *Splutter*
    TommyB
    +1
    The Bible is replete with lies, or deception, that had God's blessings. Consider, Samson, Jacob, Rahab, Moses, the list is lengthy. Lot of folks here paint with too broad a brush!! The Gestapo is looking for a Jewish family of six hidden by you, a Christian. Do you tell the truth and condemn the family to certain death, or do you lie and save the family? Your co-worker has already cut off her beautiful hair. Do you tell her it's uglier than sin?? Or, since it's too late to change the outcome, do you make some meaningless comment and not deliberately hurt, or damage, her feelings?? Your five year old is dying in a few hours, do you comfort them with words of love and encouragement?? Or, do you tell them that in a few hours they will be toast?? I am a Christian, and have been for a long time, I know that what I would do would have the Lord's blessings. feelings year dying comfort love encouragement toast christian lords blessings
  • Jwalden --- Constitution Party 2009/03/21 05:11:13
    It applies to all lies, big or small.
    Jwalden --- Constitution Party
    +5
    I think the question could be 'define lie'. We all know a lie, Its intent is to decieve. In that definition, when one lies to protect, are they 'sinning'. The law of Moses would say yes, But, the Spirit of the Author of the Law would see and judge the whole intent,

Basically, the 'top 10' are designed to build and to protect relationships.
    do not steal, do not kill, etc. are to maintain society.

As to the poll to which you referred, Vicki put it best.
    ---------
    by Vicki posted 5 minutes ago
    Answered No. (why not?)

Jesus does not need people to lie for Him. He is capable enough to reach people with the truth, without people exchanging that truth for a lie.
    Lying makes the messenger not credible and reflects badly on the person of Jesus.
  • SeaSparkzz 2009/03/21 05:02:15
    SeaSparkzz
    That is one of the biggest problems with religions that don't make people take full responsibility for their actions.
  • thetruth 2009/03/21 04:18:00
    It applies to all lies, big or small.
    thetruth
    +4
    All lies are wrong...

... and if you lied to your self you live in a false reality, and dont live by truth ...

Revelation 21:8 NIV

But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."

Blessings ...
  • Lonerzet 2009/03/21 04:15:45
    *Splutter*
    Lonerzet
    Now if i told you that i wrote that commandment would you believe me?
  • Whitese7en 2009/03/21 01:08:22
    It applies to all lies, big or small.
    Whitese7en
    +4
    A lie is a lie whether it is white or not.

2014/10/24 08:44:13