Does Sen. John McCain Have a Point About Illegal Immigrants Starting Wildfires?

SodaHead News 2011/06/20 23:00:00
There are quite a few things you can legitimately blame illegal immigrants for: skirting the laws of this country, taking the low-paying, mind-numbing jobs Americans don't want, using benefits they are not entitled to and making it harder for legal immigrants to get a fair shake.

Hell, if you're from Arizona and you're the governor, you can even blame the drug trade on them. But what about wildfires? Surely those acts of nature (or of arsonists or campers who don't follow strict campfire rules) are the fault of illegals, too, right?

They are according to John McCain. The Arizona senator and failed 2008 presidential candidate is lucky he's not giving it another shot this year, because his recent statements that illegal immigrants were responsible for some of the devastating wildfires in his state have drawn quite a bit of, well, fire.

According to The Los Angeles Times, McCain cited congressional testimony and published reports to back his claim, saying on Saturday, "We are concerned about, particularly areas down on the border, where there is substantial evidence that some of these fires were caused by people who have crossed our border illegally …

"They have set fires because they want to signal others; they have set fires to keep; and they have set fires in order to divert law enforcement, agents and agencies from them," he added. "So the answer to that part of the problem is to get a secure border."

He didn't provide any of that evidence, which drew accusations that the former Vietnam POW was fanning the "flames of intolerance" from an unsuccessful 2010 Democratic senatorial challenger. A U.S. Forest Service official told ABC News that there was no evidence suggesting anything of the sort is true.

McCain went on "Imus in the Morning" on Monday to defend his claim, explaining, "I was briefed by the Forest Service about the fact that illegal immigrants sometimes start these fires," adding that some service officials testified that "large numbers of warming and cooking fires built and abandoned by cross-border violators have caused wildfires that have destroyed cultural and natural resources."

Imus challenged McCain and said that no reports had claimed that illegals were responsible for the 500,000 acre Wallow blaze – third-largest in the state's history – which The New York Times reported last week was fostered by drought conditions tied to La Nina, strong winds and parched soil. McCain said he wasn't referring to a specific fire in his remarks, but just fires in general.

"I'm surprised that anyone should be surprised that people have been doing this for some period of time," McCain said.

Do you agree with McCain about illegals starting the Arizona wildfires?

• Lolaita 2011/06/23 14:22:44
    No, he's lost it
    Lolaita
    Can this idiot give any proof?
  • unclepat 2011/06/22 16:44:52 (edited)
    No, he's lost it
    unclepat
    John....you've totally lost it now. You used to be a maverick. You used to work for the people and made decisions based upon what you thought was good for them. I may have disagreed with you but the was no questioning your honesty. Then you ran for president. Things quite possibly were looking up for you, after all, nobody could be any worse than the administration you were hoping to replace. AND THEN YOU CHOOSE THE IDIOT PALIN!! Now look at you. Listen to yourself. You've become just like the very people you despised. Turn in your maverick pass. You're no longer welcomed into this exclusive fraternity.

signed....A REAL MAVERICK despised turn maverick pass exclusive fraternity signed real maverick maverick james garner
  • Lerro DeHazel 2011/06/22 01:40:10
    Yes, and I see it clearly
    Lerro DeHazel
    +1
    There is no doubt about it.
  • JimShou 2011/06/21 22:00:41
    Yes, and I see it clearly
    JimShou
    +1
    WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD BE DOWN THERE.....BUT TERRIOST
  • TruBluTopaz 2011/06/21 21:11:41
    Yes, and I see it clearly
    TruBluTopaz
    +1
    Libs may not want to admit it, but we have an uncontrolled population that has basically taken over the border area including a national park in that region. They are smuggling people, drugs and probably lots more. The camp out to avoid border patrol and I am sure that they have fires and don't worry too much about wiping out entire towns with wildfires.
  • Lanikai 2011/06/21 21:06:30
    Yes, and I see it clearly
    +1
    Since the MSM reported this at the start of the fires, why is Mcshame being vilified for it>?
  • Jenn the Psycho 2011/06/21 21:05:25
    No, he's lost it
    Jenn the Psycho
    +1
    Much as I hate that illegals are STILL being let in and taking our jobs, that's no reason to play the blame game here.
  • bob 2011/06/21 20:48:33
    Yes, and I see it clearly
    bob
    +2
    McCain put the blame on illegals, i.e. Hispanics.... Anyone or anything could have started the wildfires.
  • sml 2011/06/21 20:41:58
    Yes, and I see it clearly
    sml
    +1
    Georgia is next!
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2011/06/21 20:41:00
    No, he's lost it
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +2
    He continues to make irresponsible statements. There is absolutely no proof that the fires were started by illegals. Forrest rangers have listed about 7 or 8 other things that can stop the fires, but McCain didn't bother to mention them.. About losing it, I've written him many times and have asked him about his Alzheimer's. He should really think about resigning.
  • Matt 2011/06/21 20:36:15
    Yes, and I see it clearly
    Matt
    +4
    The fires could have been set by anybody, but there are a lot more illegal aliens out there than anything else. There routes into the U.S. trace through national parks where the I.N.S. cannot touch them. They certainly aren't very neat with their trash disposal.

aliens routes trace national parks touch neat trash disposal illegal alien trash
  • El Prez 2011/06/21 20:25:17
    No, he's lost it
    El Prez
    +1
    He is as right about this as he has been about everything since he decided to stop been himself and start being someone that the idiot wing of his party would like. He is not just lost but over the cliff. By the way, the "illegal aliens" are also responsible for the deficit, the wars in Iraq and Afganistan, global warming, tornados in the mid west, hurricanes and the movement of jobs overseas. Can't you see it clearly??
  • sally 2011/06/21 20:21:16
    sally
    +1
    Oh sure go ahead and blame everything on illegals...
  • Lanikai sally 2011/06/21 21:07:43
    +3
    We will, they take our jobs and welfare, and medicaid while sending their CASH earnings home.

They are parasites and criminals.
  • Edie 2011/06/21 20:18:15
    Yes, and I see it clearly
    Edie
    +1
    If we had paid attention to his warning when he was running for election we would be in a better world today. Those that say he was old and did not know what he was doing were to stupid to see the forest for the trees.
  • sherry 2011/06/21 20:09:21
    Yes, and I see it clearly
    sherry
    +3
    MY BROTHER JUST WROTE ME FROM SIERRA VISTA WHERE HE LIVES. HERE IS HIS EMAIL:
    McCain's an idiot. Sure the fires are being started by illegals and the drug cartel. But he's
    not interested in actually doing anything about it; like enforce our existing laws to stop it. It's quite calm today. The winds died down today, and the fire breaks that the crews worked
    on yesterday apparently held. I see no flames in the mountains today, just some smoke.
    Although we are still in " pre-evacuation " status, it doesn't look like we will need to evac,
    though I've said that several times before. But for now, things are looking much, much better than yesterday.
    THERE YOU HAVE THE TRUTH:
  • Lanikai sherry 2011/06/21 21:08:24
    +2
    That is what the MSM reported the first few days of the fires, then they stopped.
  • MarinerFH 2011/06/21 20:08:39
  • DeadCenter 2011/06/21 20:00:48
    DeadCenter
    Instead of just saying there is evidence, I would like to actually see evidence before nodding my head to a politician who just wants to sound-bite for his voter base.
  • nightlight 2011/06/21 19:52:11
    Yes, and I see it clearly
    nightlight
    +3
    It requires no stretch of the immagination to think that people who would violate our borders would start fires to divert the attention of border patrol agents in an attempt to make their invasion of our country successful.
    But I see a definate, though thinly disguised, bias in this article by SodaHead News.
    The "low-paying...jobs Americans don't want.." is a repetition of a favorite and much over-used lie of the pro illegal immigration forces; the jobs being referred to here are the jobs that imployers are not willing to pay a reasonalble wage for that Americans could live off of; that's why they hire the illegals in the first place - to save money on their employees. The illegals don't need the reasonable wages because they get practically everything free after they illegally enter our country - in return for violationg our borders and breaking our laws; without all those free extras, no legal American citizen could survive on the unreasonable wages these criminal employers offer to pay.
    And "skirting the laws" is, in fact, an attempt to skirt the truth; these illegals are BREAKING our laws, not just skirting them.
  • TombstoneJim 2011/06/21 19:41:41
  • Larry Flynn 2011/06/21 19:40:59
    Yes, and I see it clearly
    Larry Flynn
    +2
    They have found Campfires in known areas where illegals pass. Liberal want a pictures and video from Conservatives on every issue but we are supposed to take them at there word. (Which isn't known to be reliable)
  • Lanikai Larry F... 2011/06/21 21:09:17
    +1
    Meanwhile, THEIR pres is hiding thousands of documents on his guns to cartels issue.
  • Apache 2011/06/21 19:30:51
  • Jackie 2011/06/21 19:24:36
    Jackie
    It's possible, but I'd like to see proof.
  • John 2011/06/21 19:18:14
    John
    I think that maybe his staff had failed to clearly state his position. What he says about the fires on the border is true. I don't think that he would make a blanket statement to implicate illegals in starting all the fires up northeast Arizona. I just don't think he would be that irresponsible. He's a seasoned politician for whom I voted in 2008. My only problem with John is that he had to go far right and bow to Sarah Palin and the tea party to get re-elected. He sold his sole for a 6th term in the Senate. Having said that, If we took the 50,000 troops that we maintain and pay for, who are stationed in Germany for no reason whatsoever, and place them on the Mexican border, we could easily secure that border having these soldiers with supervision start building that 2,000 mile fence and stop the illegals coming north, AK-47s going South, and stop the drug cartels. In otherwords, shoot drug cartel members point blank with semi-automatic M-16s, grenage launchers and anti-tank weapons. I think that would be the way to stop all this nonsense that's going on down there. We can win the war on drugs, if we really get serious and show through, definitative action, that we'll use any means necessary to get the job done. Also get really tough with pushers and users in this country with stiff prison sentences. Lets grow a few.
  • dirtworksone 2011/06/21 19:13:44
    No, he's lost it
    dirtworksone
    +2
    It's all too easy to blame things on people who have no voice. Stupid campers have been setting the woods on fire for centuries. Why all of a sudden it's the fault of people who live in the shadows I can only speculate but it is a good excuse and diversion from the fact that the earth is warming and drying out and ripe for big fires.
  • Lanikai dirtwor... 2011/06/21 21:09:53
    +1
    No regular Americans camp there anymore as it is overrun with criminal illegals and cartel members.
  • Prime Time Lime 2011/06/21 19:13:07
    No, he's lost it
    Prime Time Lime
    +1
    I think he is going over the deep end to think such a thing.
  • ruru 2011/06/21 19:12:20
    ruru
    I see it as a distinct possibality. Desperate people will do desperate things.
  • RAWRIts... ruru 2011/06/21 19:20:27
    RAWRItsKenn
    And stupid people will do stupid things. ** Possibility.
  • ruru RAWRIts... 2011/06/23 06:12:16
    ruru
    I can't spell shet!
  • Wren77 2011/06/21 19:09:16
    No, he's lost it
    Wren77
    +2
    He has no evidence to back this accusation. What happened to innocent until proven guilty ?
    I like McCain as an individual, but politically, he should retire and enjoy his life, relax John..
  • stl.sha... Wren77 2011/06/21 21:49:28
    stl.shamrock
    Innocent until proven guilty... That's a cute sentiment, isn't it? When citizens of a country aren't considered innocent until proven guilty, then why should financial vampires get the preferential treatment?
  • Charles Braley 2011/06/21 19:02:24
    No, he's lost it
    Charles Braley
    +1
    All I've ever heard or read is nothing more than circumstantial and or heresay
  • Glen 2011/06/21 18:49:59
    Yes, and I see it clearly
    Glen
    +3
    They've started fires before, intentionally and unintentionally.
  • RAWRItsKenn 2011/06/21 18:48:46
    No, he's lost it
    RAWRItsKenn
    +1
    So senile...
  • Huki68 2011/06/21 18:22:35
    Huki68
    +2
    I don't know who is doing this, I don't know if is cause accident or someone or people that want to harm, but why pointing fingers before pure facts...
  • Diddley Squat 2011/06/21 18:19:09
    No, he's lost it
    Diddley Squat
    +2
    Opportunistic hate speech. And I'm not surprised.
  • wombat 2011/06/21 18:14:22
    No, he's lost it
    wombat
    +1
    Such an idiot.

2014/04/23 17:22:18