Does Mitt Romney Have to Deny Climate Change to Win the GOP Nomination in 2012?

Politics 2011/06/07 21:00:00
If Mitt Romney thought he had a problem explaining his legislative past on health care, just wait until they get a load of this. The former Massachusetts governor and GOP presidential candidate is getting hammered by a website called "Conservatives 4 Palin" for falling into line with yet another Obama administration, and allegedly Democratic, talking point: global warming.

According to a recent posting on the site, "Mitt Romney is already simpatico with the Obama Administration on cap and trade, ethanol subsidies, and health care mandates. Today we can add one more to the list: Man-made global warming."

The site quoted a statement Romney recently made to a crowd of 200 at a town hall meeting in Manchester, N.H.

“I believe the world is getting warmer, and I believe that humans have contributed to that," Romney said.

The site went on to quote a bit from Romney's book, "No Apology," in which he wrote, “Oil is purported to be one of the primary contributors to rising global temperatures. If, in fact, global warming is importantly caused by our energy appetite, it’s yet one more reason for going on an energy diet. As we have seen, it is hardly the only reason for doing so.”

"Remind me again: Why is this guy considered the frontrunner for the Republican nomination?" wrote the author of the Palin-supporting site. "I may be going out on a limb here, but shouldn’t the Republican candidate oppose Democrat positions? Or am I living in the past and hopelessly naive?"

The site – whose distinguished group of contributors include such renowned pundits as "Sinistar," "The Aged P" and "Hal" -- went on to slam Romney for "totally" buying into the "man-made global warming hoax."

Does Romney have to deny climate change to get GOP nomination?

• Liza Jane 2011/06/07 22:09:26
    Liza Jane
    +16
    Oh yes, the morons of the extreme Right probably wouldn't vote for someone with a fully-functioning brain.

• 9th of 9 2011/06/10 12:23:08
    9th of 9
    +1
    He is nothing close to a real conservative. He is a progressive RINO. A globalist with no reguard at all for a Sovereign America.
  • 4Common... 9th of 9 2011/06/28 05:23:44
    4CommonSense
    +2
    Great Post. My words exactly. He might as run as a Democrat. He is nothing close to a conservative Republican. A wolf in sheep's clothing. He is what I call a fare weather politician. Goes whereever the political winds take him.
  • Mindy 2011/06/10 04:48:53
    Mindy
    +2
    I personally do not care one way or the other what Romney does...I will not vote for him as he is a RINO!
  • Lerro DeHazel 2011/06/09 02:33:12
    Lerro DeHazel
    . . . But I will imagine that he is going to be scrutinized for a lot less than THAT!!!
  • mal 2011/06/09 01:02:42
    mal
    +2
    I dislike obama. I have no intention of voting for romney. In fact, I have not seen anyone yet that I would for who is running. We will see. One thing is for sure ,there will be no socio-marxists in my voting future.
  • Dwight PWCM 2011/06/09 01:00:44
    Dwight PWCM
    +2
    Too late now, I think. I apreciate Mitt being honest, but he lost my vote already. Government regulation is already hurting my industry, but Cap & Trade could wound us for sure.
  • nat75 2011/06/08 19:46:33
    nat75
    +1
    are there really that many conservatives who dont know that global warming is real?
  • Omnibus... nat75 2011/06/08 22:55:33
    Omnibus Annie
    +1
    Conservatives don't claim that global warming is not real. They argue that global warming is entirely man made and not cyclical in nature. You'd have to be a complete moron to not understand that the earth has changed climactically over the millenia, countless times. Many of those times have ushered in changes that caused the adaptation of entire species of animals. One of the most notably being the climate change that caused the extinction of the dinosaur. So do you think that might have been caused by all the cars those big lizards were driving or perhaps the coal they were burning.....oh...no...it was their factory emissions!!!
  • nat75 Omnibus... 2011/06/08 23:52:20
    nat75
    +1
    the dinosaurs were because of an asteroid hit the earth and caused dust and dirt to go into the atmosphere and block the sun etc, wasnt a cyclical event
  • 4Common... Omnibus... 2011/06/28 05:31:54
    4CommonSense
    +1
    You forgot the oil that they were drilling for and don't forget the coal that they were breathing from the ugly coal industry.
  • 4Common... nat75 2011/06/28 05:28:24
    4CommonSense
    +1
    Real. Are you joking. The lies and deception. Global Warming is a fraud. Al Gore is still getting richer on this fraud. The new word is Climate Change. You can't use G.W. anymore.
  • nat75 4Common... 2011/06/28 19:50:19
    nat75
    yes we are polluting the skies, oceans, and land, making animals extinct, destroying the rain forest etc and we arent affecting the earth at all it is a fraud to make gore rich. you keep believing that fairy tale
  • 4Common... nat75 2011/06/30 03:17:53
    4CommonSense
    +1
    I suppose that you are riding a horse to work and living off the land? What about your carbon footprint? Are you that naive? Get a life. You don't remember Global Warming Gate? Please don't talk your Liberal talking points. We have heard them till we are sick of them. Yes, I believe in Climate Change. It happens all the time.
  • nat75 4Common... 2011/06/30 14:12:17
    nat75
    no i walk to work, i measured my carbon footprint before it was pretty small, im saying that humans are affecting the planet and the weather and if you dont believe we can pollute it like we are and have no ill effects you are naive
  • 4Common... nat75 2011/07/01 17:33:15
    4CommonSense
    +1
    I suppose it would be asking to much to tell me where you get your facts or some shread of evidence? Please don't say Al Gore. This man's credibility is not really good. Where were you when all those so called Scientists went down in flames about their fraudulent documents, about Global Warming. Please don't give me talking points from the left.
  • nat75 4Common... 2011/07/02 00:29:16
    nat75
    tell me yes or no, do you think all the pollution we throw into the earth affect the earth or not? or do you think we can continue to do it for indefinitely and have no negative effects at all? im not talking about global warming now, just want to know if you think pollution is a good, neutral or negative thing for this planet?
  • Gary Je... 4Common... 2011/10/30 02:20:07
    Gary Jenkins
    +1
    There is only one authority for climate change- the great scientist Sean Hannity! Well, one more- Rush Limbaugh!
  • Gary Je... 4Common... 2011/10/30 02:27:34
    Gary Jenkins
    +1
    Oh I forgot the fabulous scientist - George W. Perry. Why he even knows about business too! Even more than Warren Buffet- he said as much, last week. I think he has accepted the theory of gravity but he may still be a flat earther. This man may be of the intellect level of Michelle Bachman.
  • chas 2011/06/08 19:21:13
    chas
    +3
    ALL climate is cyclical. climate cyclical Hot talk cold science
  • big dipper 2011/06/08 19:18:56 (edited)
    big dipper
    +3
    For him to be accepted by Fox News, the Tea Party, and Sarah Palin, he must fall in line with their environmental views. These view disputes most science associate with climate change and believes most weather events are just the result of a cyclical weather patterns.

Romney may be the best suited to beat President Obama but he is running against all his accomplishments as Governor of Mass while flip flopping on abortion rights, healthcare, taxes, and job creation ideas. I don't know who or what he is anymore. If I am having this problem, I know many Republicans are wondering who he is and what does he stand for?
  • Omnibus... big dipper 2011/06/08 22:57:09
    Omnibus Annie
    +1
    Well said!
  • big dipper Omnibus... 2011/06/09 13:41:34
    big dipper
    +1
    Thank you!
  • Stuart 2011/06/08 19:08:32
    Stuart
    +2
    The only reason Mitt Romney is leading in the Republican Polls is because he has name recognition, a good head of hair and a strong profile. There is nothing about him that is conservative. Once the debates come around and we see strong leaders like Herman Cain and Michelle Bachmann he will fall behind quickly. But then again, we did wind up with McCain last time. Hopefully we learned a lesson.
  • Omnibus... Stuart 2011/06/08 22:59:01
    Omnibus Annie
    Seriously!! We cannot afford another election like that last. McCain was a farce!!!
  • 4Common... Omnibus... 2011/06/28 05:35:15
    4CommonSense
    +1
    You got that right. McCain was a "Whimp."
  • Sabeena 2011/06/08 18:23:04
    Sabeena
    +1
    Whether he denies it or not he is still obviously a liberal pretending to be a conservative. If that is what he believes then I would prefer he stick to his guns and stop pretending to be something that his record disagrees with. He is a big fake and I really wish he'd go sit down somewhere, maybe take McCain with him, I'm tired of seeing him too.
  • Pecos Sal 2011/06/08 18:19:24
    Pecos Sal
    +2
    It shows a lack of discernment. Man made global warming hoax is only backed up by science funded by the government. Mitt Romney should change from republican to democrat, we do not need cap & trade, ethanol subsidies, government health care and any other socialist programs that he would push on the American people.
  • nat75 Pecos Sal 2011/06/08 19:47:57
    nat75
    global warming is not a hoax
  • Pecos Sal nat75 2011/06/08 20:12:03
    Pecos Sal
    +1
    MAN MADE global warming is a hoax, anyone with half a mind knows that the earth has had several climate cycle from heating to cooling, and guess what (!) the last global warming was before the inventions of machines & cars.
  • nat75 Pecos Sal 2011/06/08 20:23:09
    nat75
    that is true but do you think all the pollution we throw in the water, sky and earth has no effect at all? we can do whatever we want and it doesn't affect the earth?
  • Omnibus... nat75 2011/06/08 23:05:06
    Omnibus Annie
    Of course not but it's up to all of us to take care of this earth. If we do our jobs we'll manage our watch responsibly. We've got to be personally responsible. If we are, everything we do will follow suit. It shouldn't be left to a world governing body.
  • 4Common... nat75 2011/06/28 05:38:53
    4CommonSense
    +1
    I do agree that their is "climate change." That does NOT mean that Global Warming is real. Where was your Global Warming this Winter? Your models are fraud and the the scientists are falsifying the documents.
  • Gary Je... 4Common... 2011/10/30 02:32:29
    Gary Jenkins
    +3
    If you are talking about the great scientist - Sean Hannity, just know this, he believes in the theory of gravity and he is of the intellectual level of George W. Perry and Michelle Bachman.
  • 11 Phenomenon - eNews 2011/06/08 18:02:03 (edited)
    11 Phenomenon - eNews
    +3
    The climate has always changed. That is not the issue. The issue is if man is causing it by driving cars... The other issue is that a couple degrees warmer is a bad thing. Since there are many people going hungry in the world I think it is good to have longer growing seasons. Lets start caring about the poor.
  • chas 11 Phen... 2011/06/08 19:25:37
    chas
    +4
    Its been reported, that "cold" temperatures, kill more than "hot" climates. Many scientist agree, "ALL climate/weather is cyclical". Good point.
  • Omnibus... 11 Phen... 2011/06/08 23:10:03
    Omnibus Annie
    +1
    And what are you personally doing for the poor? Caring for the poor should start with individuals and churches...NOT the Government!!
  • 11 Phen... Omnibus... 2011/06/09 02:37:31
    11 Phenomenon - eNews
    +2
    The Government is the people, in case you didn't know. I would prefer they use my money to help the poor rather than paying for and promoting abortion, as well as NPR and many of the other things the government wastes the people's money on. I would bet if people paid half the tax they do the churches would have enough money to solve the problem. No doubt most of them do a better job with what they get than the government does with what it gets.
  • joe mauro 2011/06/08 17:57:05
    joe mauro
    +2
    not if people are looking closely at our ever changing world. I was adenier myself but it seems like ther are more and more severve shifts in weather patterns every day not to mention drastic shifts un the earths shelfs,it appears the mother nature is cleansing itself
  • Stix joe mauro 2011/06/08 19:10:46
    Stix
    +1
    You go it right and you don't know it...it is called weather. A little over 10,000 years ago the North American was cover in ice...called an ice age. This had happen many times before but the last time was about 10,000 years ago and the world has been warming ever since. The polar caps on Mars have been receding for years now...is man made global warming responsible for that too?
  • joe mauro 2011/06/08 17:57:00
    joe mauro
    +1

2014/07/29 13:02:11