Does Meg Whitman Have Enough Left to Beat Jerry Brown?

Elections 2010/10/26 21:00:00
Related Topics: Senate, Abortion, Meg Whitman
Meg Whitman is no pauper. The billionaire former eBay CEO still has some change in her pocket after spending more than $160 million to beat Democrat Jerry Brown with a week left in the campaign for California governor.

But time might not be on her side.

WHITMAN (R)

54, Whitman is a businesswoman who has held various titles in different companies. After become CEO for eBay, she grew the company into one that drew $8 billion a year in revenue before she stepped down. This is her first political campaign.

Positions on major issues: Whitman is pro-abortion but against same-sex marriage. She is against legalizing marijuana. While she does believe Arizona's crackdown on illegal immigrants was too harsh, she believes employers should be penalized for hiring illegals. She said she would also suspend the law that forces the state to cut its emissions 30 percent by 2020.

Tactics: Whitman has highlighted the fact that Brown is a career politician who has run for office 14 times.

Achilles Heel: Her campaign spending, her lack of voting record (she didn't vote for 28 years), hiring an illegal housekeeper and her ties to Goldman Sachs were used against her.

BROWN (D)

72, Brown has run for offices in nearly every elected position in the state. He is now the state's Attorney General. He was elected twice as governor. He has also been elected to Los Angeles Community College District Board of Trustees, was the state's secretary of state, chairman of the California Democratic Party and mayor of Oakland. He also sought a seat in the Senate and for the Democratic nomination for president multiple times.

Positions on major issues: Brown is pro-abortion and against the death penalty. He has been an evangelist for the environmental movement. He is opposed to giving drivers licenses to illegal immigrants and sanctuary cities. He supported, while as governor previously, a balanced budget amendment and was against Prop. 13, which forced a supermajority to approve taxes.

Tactics: Brown has attacked Whitman for her lack of experience in political or government positions. He has also tied her to Goldman Sachs.

Achilles Heel: He's run for every office but dogcatcher. He has also been very ambiguous with plans to correct a state that has fallen on hard times.

SODAHEAD PREDICTION

Moonbeam Brown is leading in the polls, and unlike other parts of the country, voters seem to be more angry at the GOP than Democrats. Brown should win.

• Andy Devine 2010/10/26 21:23:12
    Andy Devine
    +15
    One common theme that the liberal arm of the Democrat party (translation socialist) continues to express is how great their philosophy is. OK, we have one specific example of a state that is controlled and has been for decades by the liberal party. That state is California the once Golden state. Let’s look at a few facts:

· 2009 budget shortfall $15 Billion

· 2010 projected budget shortfall $25 Billion.

· In 2009 California, tied with Louisiana for the lowest credit rating among the states, now is in more danger of claiming rock-bottom all for itself. On January 21, 2009 Moody’s Investors Service warned that it might downgrade California’s general obligation bond rating, currently A1, because of the state’s "significant budgetary shortfall, impending liquidity crisis, and lack of legislative solutions." Louisiana also is rated A1. All other states are rated higher on Moody’s scale, typically AA or AAA.

· Over the past 5 years more than 100,000 taxpayers per year have left the state seeking relief from over-taxation and anti-business policies.

· California has twice the population of New York but five times as many welfare cases. California offers among the highest cash welfare checks of any state. Only 22% of recipients work for their benefits.

· Tax Freedom Day is the d...

· 2009 budget shortfall $15 Billion

· Tax Freedom Day is the day when Americans finally have earned enough money to pay off their total tax bill for the year. In 2009, California taxpayers had to work until April 20 to pay their total tax bill (ranked 4th highest nationally),

· Estimated at 10.5% of income, California's state/local tax burden percentage stands at 6th highest nationally, above the national average of 9.7%. Californians pay $5,028 per capita in state and local taxes.

· California ranks 48th in the Tax Foundation's State Business Tax Climate Index. The Index compares the states in five areas of taxation that impact business: corporate taxes; individual income taxes; sales taxes; unemployment insurance taxes; and taxes on property, including residential and commercial property. The only states more onerous to business are New York and New Jersey.

· With seven brackets and a top rate of 10.55 percent for those earning over $1,000,000. California's individual income tax has the fourth-highest rate and one of the most highly progressive structures in the nation. In 2006, California's individual income tax collections were $1,418 per person, which ranked 6th highest nationally. Since most small businesses are S Corporations, partnerships, or sole proprietorships, they pay their business taxes at the rates for individuals. That makes California's taxes on small businesses some of the most burdensome in the nation.

· Despite Proposition 13, California ranks in the middle of the pack when the states are ranked on combined state/local property tax collections. Proposition 13 favors people who have owned the same property many years by only permitting re-evaluations at resale. As in most states, local governments in California collect far more in property taxes than the state does. California's localities collected $968.01 per capita in property taxes in fiscal year 2006, the latest year for which the Census Bureau has published state-by-state data. At the state level, California collected $62.59 per capita during FY 2006. That brought its combined state/local property taxes to $1,030.60 per capita, ranked 28th highest nationally.

· California taxpayers receive less federal funding per dollar of federal taxes paid than the average state. In 2005, California taxpayers received only 78 cents in federal expenditures for every dollar in federal taxes. In 1995, by contrast, California taxpayers were receiving 94 cents in federal expenditures for each tax dollar.

· Illegal Immigration Costs California Over Ten Billion Annually. Estimates in 2004 showed that the average native-born family in California gets handed a nearly $1,200 a year bill to subsidize the education, health care and incarceration of illegal aliens.

· As of January 2010, 20,000 inmates in the California penal system are illegal aliens. This is almost 12% of the total prison population.

· The California legislation and the Governator now want to ship prisoners to Mexico to save money. This plan claims that the state would save $1 Billion.

I could go on for hours listing similar statistics. Instead of curbing spending, how do you think the California legislature plans on dealing with these problems? Their answer is to close tax loopholes and rip more out of the taxpayers and businesses. So you tell me if Democrat policies are so great why isn’t California a shining example of success instead of such a dismal failure? Why would you vote for more of the same. Jerry Brown is part of the problem not part of the solution.

• No More... Steve☮E... 2010/10/27 06:06:50
    No More Commies
    No there are to many idiots here that fall for a snappy ad. California was a great place till Jerry Brown showed up.
  • CaliGurl 2010/10/27 00:31:04
    CaliGurl
    +3
    No. She is negative and has lied again and again and again and again. She won't stop! She refuses to take her negative ads on, while Jerry Brown today graciously complimented her, promised to take his negative ads off if she did, and she refused!! Meg Whitman has had an undocumented Mexican worker for years, yet at the same time was out speaking vehemently against immigration. She is a hypocrite and a liar, just what the GOP LOVES!! I hope that California doesn't eff-up and elect her. She's ridiculous. oh, and while at EBay, she gave herself $100,000,000.00 bonus and then got rid of 10% of her staff. She will not help job creation in California.
  • Steve☮E... CaliGurl 2010/10/27 00:47:54
    Steve☮END THE FED☮
    +4
    Why don't you provide an example of one of her lies? Jerry Brown today graciously complimented her? Okay and last week he called her a "whore" - give me a break.
  • Pistol Steve☮E... 2010/10/27 03:35:20
    Pistol
    +1
    They do live in a different world. I want out of this stupid state and the stupid people who keep voting for this scum. To many idiots here who never learn. I hate being in the same state with them, it is insulting to be associated with them. Every other state makes fun of how stupid we are and they would be right. All these people just spew out stupid commercials just like the ones above. They are like parrots. Does anyone do any research here or do they just watch commercials and spout all the lies and think it is true? I am moving to AZ, and going to live off the grid and become a hermit. CA is making me dislike people.
  • Steve☮E... Pistol 2010/10/27 03:49:52
    Steve☮END THE FED☮
    I hear you - I feel I know more about the Ca candidates than those who will be voting for them, and I am all the way in Georgia.
  • Pistol Steve☮E... 2010/10/27 15:37:16
    Pistol
    I would go there if it were not so humid :)
  • CaliGurl Steve☮E... 2010/10/28 03:30:25
    CaliGurl
    He didn't call her a whore... he didn't even know she was listening in. He had already hung up with her (so he thought). Jerry was talking w/someone else.

I can give you more than one example of her lies, but for the sake of time (I am a busy lady), here is a whopper: Meg Whitman has been campaigning vigorously against immigration, yet has had an illegal working closely for her for many years. She denied knowing it, yet the woman in question has gone on record as asking for Meg Whitman to please help her obtain her legal status. That is a huge lie and a lot of hypocrisy.
  • Steve☮E... CaliGurl 2010/10/28 03:39:45
    Steve☮END THE FED☮
    He DID call her a whore- it doesn't matter who was listening what matters was that he said it and wanted to do an ad calling her a whore. So by your "logic" it is okay act low class and sexist - as long as nobody is listening? Not one for integrity huh?

Meg Whitman hired a woman through an agency who said she was legit. Then fired her when she found out she was illegal how are you going to call her a liar over that?
  • No More... CaliGurl 2010/10/27 06:24:44
    No More Commies
    +1
    Sorry Jerry Brown has destroyed way more jobs then Meg and as far as illegals go Meg hired that gal thru an agency and the women had forged documents. Jerry Browns been allowing millions of illegals work in California way before Meg moved here.
    Speaking of lies Jerry Browns ads state taxes went down while he was Gov. That was because of Prop 13 which Brown fought. So yes they went down and he cried about it every inch of the way. Why would he fight lower taxes? The deals he made with the unions were going to cost the taxpayers a bunch and now he would not have the taxpayers money for the union payoffs. All the high car fees and taxes we have today. Thank Jerry Brown for all that. The states broke? Thank Jerry Brown for that also.
    California was a great place 30 years ago then Jerry Brown showed up and the stuff he started then now has us bankrupt.
    Jerry Brown is a proven loser. Meg a proven leader. If you really believe she gave herself a bonus your to dumb to vote. The Ebay board of directors gave her the bonus for doing a good job. Give me a break....
  • CaliGurl No More... 2010/10/28 03:34:57
    CaliGurl
    No, Jerry Brown added 2,000,000 jobs in California. Not sure where you get your facts, but California was in way better shape with Jerry Brown as governor... Meg Whitman is quoted as saying that she moved to California because we were in such good shape 30 years ago... Who was governor? Mr. Jerry Brown.

Listen, I could point out all of your grammatical errors, misspellings, and incorrect information, but I don't have time for all that. Just don't tell me I'm dumb... I can spell, and I do my homework as far as my politicians go.

I do not know how old you are or how long you have lived in California, but you are sadly misinformed. I remember when Jerry Brown was governor, and I am a native California. So give it up.
  • Lily 2010/10/27 00:21:09
    Lily
    +2
    Ca needs her.
  • CaliGurl Lily 2010/10/27 00:31:21
    CaliGurl
    No... we have enough problems right now. Thank you.
  • Steve☮E... CaliGurl 2010/10/27 00:48:29
    Steve☮END THE FED☮
    +4
    Yes and you are supporting one of the idiots who caused those problems - duh.
  • CAROLYN... Steve☮E... 2010/10/27 01:36:15
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +1
    No sir,as Meg said things were much better 30 years ago and Jerry Brown was the Gov.!
  • Steve☮E... CAROLYN... 2010/10/27 03:25:05
    Steve☮END THE FED☮
    +1
    The entire country was better 30 years ago - California was leading in technology and real estate sales that is due to the private market NOT government.
  • CAROLYN... Steve☮E... 2010/10/27 03:35:31
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    Yeh ok! Use that! lol
  • Steve☮E... CAROLYN... 2010/10/27 03:50:58
    Steve☮END THE FED☮
    +1
    What a rebuttal - apparently economics and history are not your fields of knowledge.
  • Pistol CAROLYN... 2010/10/27 03:40:15
    Pistol
    +2
    Woppie do, they pulled up some old stuff. Brown is a turd and still smells. I lived through him and would never wish that upon anyone. But go ahead and vote for him, I am leaving this idiot state and the stupid people who keep voting for these pigs. Have fun, I am taking my business with me too. Blood sucking idiots of CA will no longer get my tax dollars. There are some good people here but the idiots are too many. No wonder every state makes fun of CA. CA is cluless and they are right. I will gladly let the door hit me in the ass when I leave.
  • True~Male CAROLYN... 2010/10/27 05:51:37
    True~Male
    If Meg says it... it's gotta be true .
  • CAROLYN... True~Male 2010/10/27 23:58:04
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    you a funny guy!
  • True~Male CAROLYN... 2010/10/27 23:55:52
    True~Male
    Yes and they will get better for all Calif. after Tuesday's election -- We are on the brink of greatness once again.
  • No More... Steve☮E... 2010/10/27 06:26:16
    No More Commies
    Ya the guy that caused most of the problems we have today. Just look at what a giant mess Jerry Browns stupidity has caused 30 years later.
  • Char. Limit 2010/10/27 00:12:34
    Char. Limit
    +1
    I just wanted to say that I hate the term "pro-abortion". Even though I'm pro-life (with exceptions), I still don't think that attempting to belittle your opponent is a morally valid tactic.

Pro-abortion, as a term, implies that Jerry Brown would prefer abortion to birth. This is obviously not the case. As such, pro-choice would apply better than pro-abortion, as pro-choice implies the preference that a choice be available.

In the same logic, Democrats who use the term "anti-choice" are just as bad.
  • tff~PWCM~JLA 2010/10/27 00:09:04
    tff~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    With all the Libs in California it will be hard to beat Moon Beam.
  • CaliGurl tff~PWC... 2010/10/27 00:32:10
    CaliGurl
    It's a strange state... I have always lived in definite Republican areas, but California is predominantly blue.
  • Pistol CaliGurl 2010/10/27 03:41:19
    Pistol
    And a dumb state if Brown wins.
  • CaliGurl Pistol 2010/10/28 03:36:49
    CaliGurl
    We have made some mistakes before, to be sure. Proposition 8 won, that was a big one. And now it looks as though marijuana legalization won't pass. We haven't done great with Arnold as our governor, but we did great with Brown as our governor many years ago. To call an entire state dumb is completely ignorant. Bye.
  • no1badboy56 2010/10/27 00:04:16
    no1badboy56
    +1
    Everyone in Ca better hope she does. Put Brown in there, Mr Proposition, and he'll financially finish the state off.
  • Blue 2010/10/27 00:01:24
    Blue
    +2
    Screw 'em.... both. We can do better than this... can't we????????
  • Jason 2010/10/26 23:59:56
  • Glory 2010/10/26 23:54:51
    Glory
    but maybe too late to help Ca. they are drowning in a sea of illegal aliens. I think no matter what, out with the old and in with the new.... I would not vote for either I just do not agree with killing the unborn
  • CaliGurl Glory 2010/10/27 00:32:55
    CaliGurl
    you don't have to kill anyone in order to vote.
  • Glory CaliGurl 2010/10/27 01:55:24
    Glory
    I don't support killers either in any way
  • CaliGurl Glory 2010/10/28 03:37:17
    CaliGurl
    Good to hear! Peace.
  • Glory CaliGurl 2010/10/28 11:13:06
    Glory
    to you as well, GOD bless America
  • RTHTGakaRoland 2010/10/26 23:50:29
    RTHTGakaRoland
    I am reasonably tech savvy, but somehow I find myself here on whitehouse.gov reading obama's tired old class warfare drivel; rather than, on sodahead.com where I intended to go.
  • Anselmo1 2010/10/26 23:47:17
  • No nonsense NanC...don't BS... 2010/10/26 23:29:42
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +2
    If she doesn't, Californians deserve all the grief they are going to get from their bankruptcy
    and getting deeper in the hole their entitlement programs have dug for them. Just think
    of the taxpayer burden on the universities and the taxpayers when hippie Brown gives
    illegals free tuition. Soon there won't be any colleges open for the legitimate residents of
    the state. And the burden of union retirement funds which is gonna break the state to a
    status they will not get out of. Just look at the riots in Greece, France and Italy to see
    what is in your future.
  • True~Male No nons... 2010/10/27 05:53:38
    True~Male
    I think he'll work at correcting those problems
  • No nons... True~Male 2010/10/27 06:18:13
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    I guess so; he promised to pay college tuition for illegals...........How deep in debt is
    California now?

2014/08/21 16:00:29