Does it bother you that Romney raised a Massachusetts gas tax by 400 percent and then raided the fund?

Diane 2012/04/28 20:10:40
In 2003, Governor Romney raised a Massachusetts gas tax, to be used to reimburse gas station owners for cleaning up leaking underground fuel tanks. First he raised the tax by 400%. Then, two weeks later, he raided it, and the fund was wiped out.

From Fox Boston:

Gas station cleanup money diverted

State gas fee not going where it’s supposed to

[...]

The fee was initially a half-cent per gallon. But there wasn't enough money to pay for all the cleanups, so in 2003, then-Governor Mitt Romney pushed to increase the fee by another two cents, a 400 percent increase, that generated about $60 million more every year, nearly $80 million in annually.

The cleanup program should have been flush with cash. But then something funny happened.

“It’s literally just a couple of weeks and the fund gets wiped out?” Fox 25’s Beaudet asked.

“Yes,” replied Stephen Dodge, a member of the Underground Storage Tank Fund board.

Dodge, who represents the Massachusetts Petroleum Council on the board, says that two weeks after Romney asked for the fee increase, he raided the fund by eliminating it.

Ever since then, the tens of millions of dollars collected at the pumps goes directly into the general fund for lawmakers to spend however they please.

“Seems like a back-door tax increase?” Fox 25’s Beaudet asked.

“Yes,” Dodge replied. “We refer to it, not to be political, but quite frankly we refer to it as the hidden Romney gas tax increase.”

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/17778286/gas-station-cleanup...

Read More: http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/17778286/gas-stat...

• Tea in the Harbor 2012/04/28 20:36:43
    Yes, it bothers me.
    Tea in the Harbor
    +9
    The same kind of accounting tricks corporate raiders use to steal every cent the company is worth before filing bankruptcy and turning the debts over to taxpayers and consumers. Then we all pay for what they've stolen while they go do it again.

It's no big surprise, Romney thinks taking enormous profits without creating anything of value is his right. He thinks he's "entitled" to take the money other people earned.

• Pat KoAm 2012/07/02 05:20:47
    +1
    I'm from Massachusetts where Romney was Governor for four years.
    He promised he'd create jobs here. Instead he laid off state employees and shipped their jobs to India
    We dropped from 37th in job creation to 47the by they time he left.
    He promised he'd lower taxes and he did...on his millionaire buddies and corporations.
    He made up the difference by imposing all kinds of fees on the middle class.
    He said he'd lower our deficit and instead our deficit rose by one billion dollars by the time he was through.
    He instituted MassHealth here and now opposes the Affordable Care Act. It is virtually the same thing. He only opposes it because the coporate interests that have bought and paid for him and his campaign don't want National Health at all.
    People in Massachusetts like our MassHealth plan. Everyone is covered who wants to be and it hasn't been a drain on our economy.
    Romney will do or say anthing to get elected and then he'll follow the instructions of his owners when he gets into office.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!
  • Diane Pat 2012/07/02 05:36:18
    Diane
    Well said!
  • aherbert 2012/04/29 00:24:58
    Yes, it bothers me.
    aherbert
    +3
    of course it bothers me … but that is the way he operate.
  • CA Gal 2012/04/28 23:47:06
    Yes, it bothers me.
    CA Gal
    +4
    Although this is just one of his many stunts!
  • cut and paste king 2012/04/28 23:08:52
    cut and paste king
  • Diane cut and... 2012/04/29 02:01:08
    Diane
    +4
    Self-inflicted.
  • Sissy cut and... 2012/04/29 11:53:25
    Sissy
    +4
    Romney's actions as governor and a forever flip-flopping, non-trustworthy presidential candidate is going to leave him even bloodier than this when all is said and done. Some of the statements he's said while wresting the nomination will in the end, bury him, despite his army of Super Paks.
  • Sir Bud. 2012/04/28 21:41:39
    Yes, it bothers me.
    Sir Bud.
    +6
    And then this year...
    "...Romney donated to anti-gay marriage effort
    A campaign group run by presidential candidate Mitt Romney donated $10,000 to an organization fighting to overturn legal same-sex marriage in California in 2008 at the same time Mormons were offering big financial support to the Proposition 8 effort.

The Human Rights Campaign, a group dedicated to pressing for equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, revealed the donation on Friday by Romney’s Free and Strong America political action committee (PAC) to the National Organization
    for Marriage...".
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/...
    "..Tax returns: Romney donates millions to Mormon church

$4.1 million went to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and that’s in addition to millions the couple have given through a family charity to the Salt Lake City-based faith..Romney, whose family has belonged to the LDS faith for generations, appears to have donated about 10 percent of his income to his church, meeting the "tithing" requirement for devout Mormons...".
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/...
  • EdVenture 2012/04/28 21:32:05
    Yes, it bothers me.
    EdVenture
    +8
    And its only 1 reason the list goes on, people accross america should know what this guy has done to MA residents
  • Cthulhu 2012/04/28 21:19:52 (edited)
    Cthulhu
    +3
    Unfortunately this is not an uncommon practice among the unethical politicians.

The whole country would be better off if it was uncommon.

I bet he blames the shortfall on "those darned Democrats ..."
  • Diane Cthulhu 2012/04/28 22:08:08
    Diane
    +5
    I'll bet you're right.
  • Sinpac 2012/04/28 21:14:43
    Yes, it bothers me.
    Sinpac
    +6
    I am glad he is batting for the other side because the Real American team can't afford him!
  • Tea in the Harbor 2012/04/28 20:36:43
    Yes, it bothers me.
    Tea in the Harbor
    +9

2014/11/01 00:37:39