Does he have the Catholic vote after what Obama said yesterday?

Sister Jean 2012/05/10 19:26:12
no UGLY remarks or you'll be blocked

• marylou5 2012/05/28 01:09:02 (edited)
    no
    marylou5
    There is a gremlin afoot....that was a yes!
    No practicing Catholic would support Obama after that drivel!
  • wysiwis 2012/05/23 14:51:07
    yes
    wysiwis
    +1
    Even though he wasn't my first choice of candidates, I will be voting for Romney in November. Yes, I am Catholic, and I couldn't understand why other Catholics would vote for B.O. in the FIRST place, much less a second time!
  • mama sew,gung ho 2012/05/12 05:34:31
    yes
    mama sew,gung ho
    +1
    The confessional booth,is no different than the polling booth."Nobodies business but you and the Lords!"
  • ~Adrien~ 2012/05/11 14:03:31
    yes
    ~Adrien~
    +2
    I would think so. . .
  • Risk 2012/05/11 12:12:27 (edited)
    no
    Risk
    +2
    Would they really prefer a Muslim over a Christian ? I seriously doubt it !

I MEANT TO SAY YES !
  • Risk Risk 2012/05/11 12:13:27
    Risk
    +2
    I meant to say yes ... : (
  • ReconMarine~PWCM*AVA*BTTB*JLA* 2012/05/11 09:20:24
  • DJPanicDC 2012/05/11 07:55:37
    no
    DJPanicDC
    +1
    Truth is most polls show Catholics are far more "evolved" than Romney on this subject
    Most recently Public Religion Research Institute found most Catholics favor either allowing gay and lesbian people to marry (43%) or allowing them to form civil unions (31%). Only 22% of Catholics say there should be no legal recognition of a gay couple’s relationship.
  • goatman112003 2012/05/11 07:35:21
    yes
    goatman112003
    +5
    After attacking the church first this is the icing on the cake.
  • miss Smarty 2012/05/11 06:40:00 (edited)
    yes
    miss Smarty
    +6
    I was brought up Roman Catholic. Honestly, If they like Obama they will vote for him. I won't because he did not prove to me he is capable of being a effective president, who gets things done like Improving our economy and increasing Jobs.
  • DavidK 2012/05/11 06:17:24
    yes
    DavidK
    +6
    True Catholics will vote against him. Problem is, are there enough true Catholics left?
  • Sister ... DavidK 2012/05/11 13:44:03
    against whom?
  • DavidK Sister ... 2012/05/14 03:24:28
    DavidK
    +3
    there are very few "true" Catholics left anywhere and most of them see that Obama has been a total failure.
  • TheTruth1313 2012/05/11 06:12:25
    TheTruth1313
    +1
    Not sure, but, it is definitely a good question.
  • Iamfree 2012/05/11 06:01:46
    Iamfree
    +3
    I don't know, I'm not Catholic. But to be honest, I don't understand how Mr. Obama ever had the Catholic vote in light of his position on abortion, so perhaps Catholics will let this go too?
    Good luck, to answering yes or no. Even in a religion diversty will be found.
  • LisaSmith 2012/05/11 05:30:04
    yes
    LisaSmith
    +6
    I don't know for sure but I think obama will lose a percentage of every demographic that he got last time. I think he is going down.
  • Shadow13 2012/05/11 04:09:18
    no
    Shadow13
    +2
    I think it will depend upon the maturity of that voter. Those who practice the values of compassion, justice, and charity may be moved at the idea of treating others with respect, like human beings. That denying them rights only causes harm to an already persecuted segment of our population, much like how early Christians were, and that no one benefits from denying others rights, except for criminals and psychopaths.
    Then again there are those driven by doctrinal fear of condemnation. It's a toss up really.
  • Cyan9 2012/05/11 03:59:04 (edited)
    no
    Cyan9
    +1
    I would hope Catholic voters would have issues more important to them than a President voicing support for marriage equality. Also a large portion of Catholics are Hispanic and Romney clearly is not doing well them that voting bloc.
  • JHalden87 2012/05/11 03:51:53
    no
    JHalden87
    +2
    A few months ago Mormonism was labelled a cult and suddenly Romney is the new golden boy of American catholics?

Obama's catholic which surely... Must count for something?

I think it will be tight because of Southern Catholics tending to tow the line of less government/religious freedom/pro life/anti change.

But the moderate Catholics who tend to interperate the bible in a different way on issues and realise the leniency within biblical text on modern issues will vote Obama.

I'm pretty sure the Evangelical vote is Romneys simply because of their stance since the 70's as a church that marriage is between a man and a woman and the stance of most on anti abortion.

Too many people are posioned into believing that being a Christian and a social conservative are mutually exclusive, they're not.

The whole ideals on social issues evolved specifically in America in the south in the 20th century, until that point protestants were of the view that modern issues can be evolved within the bible.

Pretty sure Obama's got the Atheist vote tied up, Romney probably has the creationist vote tied up as well - all one of them - so the real battle ground is appealing to casual christians and minorities in the north.
  • Mike JHalden87 2012/05/11 05:37:00
    +1
    Interesting views. November will tell the story,
  • Sister ... Mike 2012/05/11 13:45:06
  • jeepster4 2012/05/11 03:45:57
    jeepster4
    +1
    The rank and file of Catholics haven't paid any attention to the official line on sexual matters for generations.
  • Lawnmowerman~PWCM~JLA 2012/05/11 03:37:15 (edited)
    no
    Lawnmowerman~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    Oops, I clicked 'no' before I realized you were talking about Romney. I think he WILL get more Catholic votes due to Obama's pro-gay marriage stance. But Obama...he's even loosing Dem, Lib and Black support over it.
  • Arya 2012/05/11 03:31:55
    Arya
    +3
    I honestly don't know, I'm not Catholic. I'm personally bothered by his position on abortion and I'd think that many Catholics would be as well. His role in killing legislation to protect born-alive survivors of abortions is disturbing in the extreme.
  • Diane 2012/05/11 03:20:35
    Diane
    Is there really any one Catholic vote? I'm sure there are many Catholics who don't agree with the Vatican -- even nuns.

Sister Simone Campbell Fires Back At Vatican Criticism

The head of a Catholic lobbying group is fighting back against criticism from the Vatican.

"I've no idea what they're talking about," said Sister Simone Campbell told the BBC. "Our role is to live the gospel with those who live on the margins of our society: the hungry, the poor, the ill. That's all we do."

Campbell was responding to charges that her group, NETWORK, is engaging "corporate dissent." The Vatican ordered an investigation of U.S. nun group Leadership Conference of Women Religious and its ties to NETWORK, who supported President Obama's health care reform push. The Vatican accused the Leadership Conference of promoting "certain radical feminist themes incompatible with the Catholic faith."

Campbell told the AP that she believes the link between the crackdown and the health care reform support is clear.

The Vatican "clearly got upset that we were effective at communicating our views politically," she said.

She also told the BBC that "there's a strong connection. We didn't split on faith, we split on politics."'

To watch more of her comments, head over the BBC.

http://www.huffingtonpo...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
  • jdemme 2012/05/11 02:46:22
    jdemme
    +2
    I'm Catholic, and I support Gay rights.
  • Sister ... jdemme 2012/05/11 13:45:42
    me too
  • Pug For... Sister ... 2012/05/23 09:56:23
    Pug For Huck
    +5
    Interesting.
  • ☆Hitler... Sister ... 2012/05/23 23:14:20
    ☆Hitler was a community organiz☆
    +1
    you have unblocked me?? after 2 years?
  • Always ... Sister ... 2012/05/23 23:15:50
    Always Right
    +1
    The queers don't have any more or any less rights than any of us. Gay rights means they think it's ok to get married, I don't! The US Constitution is all the rights Americans need.
  • Thor Am... Always ... 2012/05/24 09:40:03
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    +1
    I'm in Papua New Guinea doing a job and I gotta say. These guys are a mess here but of all things that are screwed up here they get this issue correct. Anyone caught performing queer acts is thrown into prison. Not bad for a third world rathole.
  • Always ... Thor Am... 2012/05/24 15:04:42
    Always Right
    +1
    That's a little too harsh. My opinion is everyone should keep their dirty clothes in the laundry room, nobody wants to see it! Stay safe, my friend!
  • Thor Am... Always ... 2012/05/25 06:53:52
    Thor American EXPAT n New Guinea
    +2
    Eternal vigilance keeps us on our toes. The reason they are thrown in the clink is being public about their activities. PNG is 85% Christian so they don't allow much depravity in public in general. But public Homosexual activity is not tolarated at all.
  • FeedFwd... jdemme 2012/05/23 17:01:30
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +3
    What does that mean? Gays have all the same rights as heterosexuals. Laws against homosexual behavior do vary from locale to locale as does enforcement, but the Bill of rights applies to gays and straights. There would probably be much more tolerance for homosexuality if gays didn't take every opportunity to flaunt it in front of people who are opposed to or even just uncomfortable with homosexual behavior.
  • jdemme FeedFwd... 2012/05/23 22:59:29
    jdemme
    I don't know ANY gay people who flaunt their behavior.

And the right to marry is barred in the majority of States.
  • FeedFwd... jdemme 2012/05/23 23:30:02
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +2
    They can marry in every state, just not somebody of the same sex... just like everybody else. Ever been to a gay pride parade? I grew up in New Orleans and I'll guarantee you there are plenty that flaunt it! They were flaunting it down there back in the 60's and 70's even before "Show your +!+$ became popular at Mardi Gras in exchange for some cheap beads. ;)
  • jdemme FeedFwd... 2012/05/24 15:35:15
    jdemme
    Gay people cannot marry the person that they love. That is an infringement on their rights, rights that you and I can use. If they love someone, why can't they marry them? Why do you care?

And there is no recognition of same-sex relationships in Louisiana. I bet there wouldn't be a gay pride parade if their relationships were acknowledged by the state...
  • FeedFwd... jdemme 2012/05/24 16:05:09
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +1
    People who don't score enough on entrance exams can't attend the schools they want to attend. People who haven't earned the money can't buy a mansion in the Hamptons or a Rolls Royce? I know they may not be legally prohibited, but that is small consolation. If number of people in a bar or restaurant is at the max capacity as determined by the fire chief, then you can't go in. Not much difference.

Men who love multiple women and the women who love them back can't have a polygamous marriage either. Marriage is an arrangement legally defined and regulated state by state. Marriage is also a sacrament in many religions. If the religions or the states decide to redefine marriage, I wouldn't agree, but I couldn't do much about it except move into a state that recognizes marriage as I do.

Still, most states won't stop same sex couples from cohabiting and many won't stop them from having children or buying a house. As for some of the issues regarding end of life and health insurance, those could be handled legally or by finding a job with an "enlightened" employer. If gays have a higher actuarial risk of health problems (not saying they do) than hetero couples, would they find it unfair to have to pay higher premiums for insurance coverage? Why should heteros, if that is the case, be forced to subsidize the bad results of choices they don't even agree with?
  • jdemme FeedFwd... 2012/05/28 01:30:02
    jdemme
    How did you get to healthcare with this? If anything, gay couples would be the ones who would have less liability...

Polygamy, in my opinion, should be legal as well. I don't really give a crap about what people's personal lives are like.

2014/09/03 02:55:41