Does Fox News Use Orwellian 'Newspeak' to Deceive Viewers?

Politics 2011/02/22 15:00:00
Fox News' Glenn Beck's favorite bogeyman, billionaire businessman and philanthropist George Soros - who Beck claims is the master puppeteer behind a shadow government controlling the world - says he'd like to be able to just laugh off the attacks. The problem is that Fox does such a good job of employing Orwellian "newspeak" that there might actually be people who believe it.

Soros spoke on CNN's "Fareed Zakaria GPS:"

"Fox News makes a habit … it has imported the methods of George Orwell - 'newspeak' - where you can tell the people falsehoods and deceive them …You wouldn’t believe that in an open society, a democracy, these methods can succeed. But actually they did succeed. They succeeded in Germany where the Weimar Republic collapsed and you had the Nazi regime following.

"So this is a very, very dangerous way of deceiving people, and I would like people to be aware that they are being deceived … Because I saw it as a child, I immediately react that way; but people in America are innocent, they haven’t had that experience; they’re having the experience now, and I hope they wake up and realize they are being deceived."

Read More: http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/02/g...

• Tony 2011/02/22 16:04:00
    Tony
    +18
    Soro is a communist, Ayers is a terrorist. You hang with thief's than you must be one also..Birds of feather flock together

• littlebuffalo55TBA 2011/03/01 07:12:01
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    Does he mean like when Unions use "Orwellian collective speak" to deceive non-members? Like that?
  • Cheetah 2011/02/26 14:19:23 (edited)
    Cheetah
    +1
    My brain will not allow me to watch FOX News or any other News on TV or TV in General.
    Makes me wonder?Perhaps it's because whats on TV is 80% BS anyway.
    Yes Obie's on TV and we already know he' 100% BS
  • The Gov-Here to help BN362 2011/02/26 10:32:20 (edited)
    The Gov-Here to help BN362
    +1
    This question makes no sense.
  • jams The Gov... 2011/02/26 14:32:42
    jams
    +1
    “One way to open your eyes is to ask yourself, 'What if I had never seen this before? What if I knew I would never see it again?'”
    - Rachel Carson
  • The Gov... jams 2011/02/26 16:43:23
    The Gov-Here to help BN362
    +1
    Well, I understand what they are shooting for, but their use of it is incorrect. I can't entertain it.
  • jool 2011/02/26 10:11:43
    jool
    I have found by doing just a little research on your own can prove to be very beneficial. Don't just read from the posts on huffington post or any other site. knowledge is what will keep our Republic alive and well.
  • Met 2011/02/26 09:30:37
    Met
    +1
    All news corporations tend to spin. MSNBC undoubtedly spins left. CNN tries to centralize everything, but just ends up coming off bland, and dumbed down. However Fox has entered a new era of Infotainment. Glenn Beck should be proceeded by a disclaimer.

dumbed fox entered era infotainment glenn beck proceeded disclaimer fox news racist
  • Jeok Met 2011/03/22 14:39:31
    Jeok
    +1
    Shouldn't that be Mis-Info-tainment? IMHO TYFFI
  • R. Murray Frith, Ph.D. 2011/02/24 19:40:24
    R. Murray Frith, Ph.D.
    +2
    Looks like Faux "news"/views put out a message for all their viewers to come here to support them... I mean it's so obvious that what they put out as news, should mostly be labeled as commentary!
  • csrdrunner R. Murr... 2011/02/25 14:27:24
    csrdrunner
    The following is my opinion ONLY!
    Excuse me! after your name is PhD hmmmmm have you checked out what soros did during the war??????????????????????????... please do so!
    http://www.digital-photograph...
    I do try to fact check my information.
  • R. Murr... csrdrunner 2011/02/27 15:56:02
    R. Murray Frith, Ph.D.
    How did he get into the conversation, along with what he had to do outta desperation 50 some years ago as a youngun'? Let's hear about your "onnocent youth...
  • leannimal 2011/02/24 13:32:06
    leannimal
    +1
    Soros is just your plain old creepy Communist, scum-sucking, lowlife, sewer dweller, so is his butt buddy Barry. They are just pissed because somebody is finally calling them out. They can't handle it that some Americans are informed and are not as gullible as they were hoping, it interferes with their plans.
  • URBAN_Sapphic 2011/02/23 19:22:00
    URBAN_Sapphic
    +1
    Yes FOX easily manipulates it's dullards followers, for example NOW Glen Beck claims that Americans DON'T want a democracy! Why don't Americans want a democracy? Because that's what people in the middle East are fighting for. Beck says that Americans want a Republic! Not hardly, The Congo in Africa is a Republic and is inconstant turmoil, but Beck's ass backward followers will most likely claim that's what they want also.
    These are the SAME dimwits who are now protesting the Republicans they elected last November? Why because the Republicans are screwing them over BIG TIME!
  • Preside... URBAN_S... 2011/02/24 14:22:34
    President Camacho
    +2
    we have never been a democracy, we are a republic - and have been for over 200 years - do you contend that we should scrap our current system of government?
  • csrdrunner URBAN_S... 2011/02/25 14:33:39
    csrdrunner
    +2
    Guess you like many other have not done your home work, PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING, and next time you post something please do your home work first!!!!!

The Pledge of Allegiance includes the phrase: "and to the republic for which it stands." Is the United States of America a republic? I always thought it was a democracy? What's the difference between the two?

The United States is, indeed, a republic, not a democracy. Accurately defined, a democracy is a form of government in which the people decide policy matters directly--through town hall meetings or by voting on ballot initiatives and referendums. A republic, on the other hand, is a system in which the people choose representatives who, in turn, make policy decisions on their behalf. The Framers of the Constitution were altogether fearful of pure democracy. Everything they read and studied taught them that pure democracies "have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths" (Federalist No. 10).
    http://www.thisnation.com/que...
  • URBAN_S... csrdrunner 2011/03/20 12:38:14
    URBAN_Sapphic
    `Let is go, I am 52 years old and the politicians have (since I can remember) touted the democratic principles of the United States, and the voters DO decide policy matter directly (via: referendum).

80 % of the dimwits on this site don't even nknow what Orwellian "Newspeak" in and that is why you get responses like: "I don't think it's newspeak" when it most certainly is.
  • The Gov... URBAN_S... 2011/02/26 10:35:27
    The Gov-Here to help BN362
    +1
    Awwww, someone is trying to sit at the grown up table. Kewwwwwwwt.
  • Arclight 2011/02/23 17:21:17
    Arclight
    +3
    Yes, you might call it Orwellian, however, it rings true. This guy is a veritable dirt bag. Ever listen to his philosophy? It's like he was in Stalin's inner circle. So, FOX NEWS, bang away. This self-worshipping dungheap deserves it.
  • Preside... Arclight 2011/02/24 14:23:35 (edited)
    President Camacho
    freedom, and the Constitution, which are at the heart of Beck's philosophy are the antithesis of Stalin. I imagine you have never watched or listened to Glenn Beck.

Correction, you were apparently talking about Soros.
  • randall g Preside... 2011/02/25 04:45:38
    randall g
    I don't think he's talking about Beck. Soros would say that about Beck, but I think Arclight was saying that about Soros.
  • Preside... randall g 2011/02/25 04:50:19
    President Camacho
    +1
    ah, ok...I was on a tear and I probably just originally skimmed his document.
  • jams Preside... 2011/02/26 14:34:16
    jams

- Rachel Carson
  • Preside... jams 2011/02/26 14:37:50
    President Camacho
    "I have opinions of my own --strong opinions-- but I don't always agree with them."
    - George Bush
  • URBAN_S... Arclight 2011/03/20 12:40:56
    URBAN_Sapphic
    Actually you are more of a dirtbag, I graduated from one of the most comservative universities ion the U.S. and he wasn't referred to as a "dirtbag" but you're an idiot.
  • JerryNewman 2011/02/23 17:20:22
    JerryNewman
    +2
    i'M NOT SURE IF THE WORD "ORWELLIAN" IS CORRECT, BUT FOX NEWS IS OFTEN NEITHER ACCURATE OR FAIR. IT OFTEN DISTORTS FACTS AND THEN USES THOSE DISTORTIONS TO RANT AND RAVE.
  • Preside... JerryNe... 2011/02/24 14:25:26
    President Camacho
    Please cite examples of how Fox "DISTORTS FACTS AND THEN USES THOSE DISTORTIONS TO RANT AND RAVE"

Please cite examples of Fox News being "NEITHER ACCURATE OR FAIR."

Please correct your grammar.
  • R. Murr... Preside... 2011/02/24 19:50:52
    R. Murray Frith, Ph.D.
    Since you asked...
    http://www.sourcewatch.org/in...
    www.mediamatters.org/blog/200...
    http://mediamatters.org/colum...
    www.oreilly-sucks.com/foxbias...

Man, I could go on for a very long time!
  • Preside... R. Murr... 2011/02/24 21:02:31
    President Camacho
    +1
    ah, source watch...from the CMD - a progressive far left liberal hit group.
    Media Matters - funded by Soros, in large part, is another far left liberal hit group.
    That youtube clip is cute
    I really don't need to click on a site like oreilly-sucks, the bias there should be obvious.
  • URBAN_S... Preside... 2011/03/20 13:01:09
  • Preside... URBAN_S... 2011/03/20 15:04:13
    President Camacho
    no, those sites really are far left - I promise you that.
  • Alberma... R. Murr... 2011/02/25 20:03:24
    Albermarle19
    +2
    Wow you seem to do alot of research! Why don't you look up Soros. Then call Glen Beck and appologize. ALL of your sources listed just happen to be associated w/Soros. You people are complete idiots!!! " Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain"
  • URBAN_S... Preside... 2011/03/20 12:46:27
    URBAN_Sapphic
    Fox distorts by claining that George Soros was a Nazi collaborator when the truth is that he was a 14 year old bor taken in by caretakers (who apparently were nazi sympathizers) and did some paperwork for them.

Why do you need examples? This is the problem with the viewers of FNN.
    You are given examples of how FNN distorts everyday and yet you refuse to see.
  • Preside... URBAN_S... 2011/03/20 15:04:49
    President Camacho
    Show me a Fox News report calling George Soros a Nazi collaborator. prove it stinkypants.
  • URBAN_S... Preside... 2011/03/20 12:59:57
    URBAN_Sapphic
    URBAN_Sapphic
    More examples of FNNs Blatant New Distortions:

Timeline of a [madrassa] smear
    Story by saying "Obama makes a little girl cry," after outcry Fox News' Kelly acknowledged it was not true

Fox News airs altered photos of NY Times reporters to make them appear Jewish

Fox passes off GOP press release as its own research -- typo and all

Just a few more examples and I normally wouldn't spend so much time with the chapter-and-verse examples to highlight the clear fact that Fox News is not a legitimate news organization. But since Beltway media elites continue to cling to the claim that it is, as well as peddle the bizarre, anti-free speech concept that the White House somehow ought to be forbidden to criticize the press, I'll continue with even more inescapable examples to back up the observation that Fox News is not a legitimate news outlet, but FNN viewers are the most intelligent and need to be spoon fed examples.

For instance, a legitimate news organization does not:

Source its research to "conservative blogs."
    Purposefully present stories out of context.
    Regularly declare "Victory!" when a White House initiative fails.
    Ignore a breaking news story that embarrasses the Republican Party.
    Invite fringe conspiracy theorists to appear on news shows.
    Suggest during a news program that ...

URBAN_Sapphic

Timeline of a [madrassa] smear

Suggest during a news program that Democrats voted to "protect pedophiles, but not veterans."
    Routinely accuse the president of the United States of being like Adolf Hitler.
    Describe itself as the "voice of the opposition."
    Air more than 100 commercials promoting partisan political rallies.
    Show 22 clips of health care reform opponents who attended town hall forums, and none of health reform supporters.
    Purchase full-page newspaper ads to spread falsehoods about the news competition.
    Invade the privacy of second-grade students.
    Promote violent political rhetoric.
    Fail to fact-check a murder story before airing allegations about it.
    Allow a news anchor to suggest a Supreme Court nominee is guilty of "reverse racism."

It certainly would be helpful if reporters and pundits who work for respected corporate news outlets and who today defend Fox News as a legitimate operation (or at least chastise the White House for raising doubts) examined the 30 examples I listed above and ask themselves this: If they committed just one of those newsroom transgressions, would they still have a job? Would bosses at ABC or The New York Times or The Washington Post or wherever be willing to have those journalists on staff if they bent, and then busted, journalism's Code of Ethics the way Fox News regularly does?

I suspect the obvious answer is no. And I suspect journalists understand that. So why the Big charade? Why refuse to acknowledge the self-evident truth that Fox is not a legitimate news organization?
  • Preside... URBAN_S... 2011/03/20 15:05:21
    President Camacho
    I didn't read your post....have you ever watched fox news?
  • Alberma... JerryNe... 2011/02/25 19:57:54
  • URBAN_S... JerryNe... 2011/03/20 12:42:48
    URBAN_Sapphic
    Do you even know who George Orwel was? If you do then it most certainly is correct all the wy down to the rewriting history part.
  • handeman 2011/02/23 17:02:03
    handeman
    +3
    All of the media is corrupt, how do you think we ended up with a post turtle like Obama?
  • Lightnin' handeman 2011/02/23 17:38:38
    Lightnin'
    +5
    Ya know I did some research on "Soros" one time, and found that he made his money by betting against other world currencies! Dont remember where I found it or when, but it mentioned that sometime back in the 60's or 70's he bet the Sterling against either the Euro or the Dollar, and the Sterling collapsed. Soros made a billion in one day and shut down the bank of England. He is Big Money player in the world market.
  • Senator Lightnin' 2011/02/24 22:44:31
    Senator
    My girlfriend invests in equities as well as Forex. She has bet the yen to the dollar, the dollar to the Brit Pound, the Bpound to the Aussi .. deoes this make her an evil person when shes not playing the stock/options market?

2014/11/01 13:26:01