Does FEMA really help??

POODYLOU ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2011/08/28 03:16:54
TRENDING: Ron Paul: We don't need FEMA
By:

(CNN) - As Hurricane Irene barrels along the U.S. East Coast, Rep. Ron Paul of Texas said the nation would be much better off without the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

"I live on the Gulf Coast. We put up with hurricanes all the time," the GOP presidential candidate told CNN after a New Hampshire campaign event Friday. "There's no magic about FEMA. More and more people are starting to recognize that."

Paul has long been a critic of the agency, which he calls a "great contributor to deficit financing."

With more than 7,600 employees, FEMA falls under the Department of Homeland Security and coordinates response efforts when disasters strike.

Citing the Galveston hurricane in 1900 that obliterated much of the Texas coast, the libertarian-leaning congressman said Americans were able to rebuild their cities and put up a seawall without the federal government's help.

"FEMA is not a good friend of most people in Texas," Paul said. "All they do is come in and tell you what to do and can't do. You can't get in your houses. And they hinder the local people, and they hinder volunteers from going in."

After Hurricane Ike demolished parts of the Texas coast in 2008, Paul voted against a bill that would funnel billions in aid to the area, which covers his congressional district.

FEMA has since pumped more than $3 billion in federal funds into the state.

The agency received wide criticism in 2005 for failing to respond in a timely, organized manner to the vast destruction wrought by Hurricane Katrina.

• perks-a real PATRIOT 2011/08/28 12:48:51
    No (why)
    perks-a real PATRIOT
    +6
    He's absolutely right. It's just another bureaucracy stealing tax payers dollars. These kind of programs are creations of bleeding heart liberals that end up being gold mines for liberal crooks. States can create the help people need just fine!!!

• historian 2011/08/31 19:50:10
    No (why)
    historian
    +1
    They never help in the area I live, when it floods. They come in and give out fliers, show a presence, and then leave, never to be seen or heard from again. You send in the paperwork and never hear back from them, or get tied up in paperwork and phone calls until you give up. I think it's more of a help who they want, dismiss the rest, and when that's the case, politics and waste of money gets involved. Another nanny state organization.
  • Striker 2011/08/29 23:01:20
    No (why)
    Striker
    +2
    Seems to me that the FEMA role has been diverted from major disasters to become the disaster in itself. Their big job anymore is FEMA concentration camps, mass caskets, and such grotesque roles. There is only one conceivable purpose in all that, martial law in whatever form it might take.
  • Fannie 2011/08/28 22:48:31
    Fannie
    Only when they re organize, every 3 months.
  • Barbara 2011/08/28 17:13:51
    Barbara
    +1
    Ehhhhhh ... based on past experience: they're slow to respond, they misspend the money they're allocated and they are incredibly disorganized. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt (not really), and see how they do in the future
  • Sheepdog 2011/08/28 16:35:34
    No (why)
    Sheepdog
    +2
    I just watched Philly Fox News where they were praising the head of FEMA handling of this big rainstorm. Even Obama left a day early so he could led his government's response to Hurricane Irene at a disaster command center in Washington. He chaired a meeting at the National Response Coordination Center (NRCC) set up at the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) headquarters in Washington, which is marshaling federal and local hurricane-relief efforts, along with members of his senior emergency response team including Vice President Joe Biden and Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, among others.

We had seen the states Governors, local mayors and police handle this storm very well without their help, as it should be. To my surprise Fox News then interviewed Ron Paul about FEMA and the interviewer was actually talking good about him. Ron made good points about the cost of all this bureaucracy and to bring back the National Guard for such problems as some of the reasons more people are supporting him.
  • POODYLO... Sheepdog 2011/08/28 16:47:49
    POODYLOU ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +4
    I seen Ron on there and Yes Chris Wallace was very respectful, even pointing out that the others are now saying things he has been saying for years.

Obama don't really care about what happens on the east coast, he was envisioning the printing presses firing up and all the pretty money he could spend!!
  • Sheepdog POODYLO... 2011/08/28 18:30:35
    Sheepdog
    +1
    Ah that’s his name, I hardly watch TV news…you’re right about O lol.
  • POODYLO... Sheepdog 2011/08/28 19:13:29
    POODYLOU ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    I was looking to see what Irene was up to and Ron Paul was on. I had seen on RonPaul.com that he was supposed to be, but, figured they invited him knowing he would be preempted by the hurricane!
  • Sheepdog POODYLO... 2011/08/28 20:10:49
    Sheepdog
    +1
    They timed it wrong too…right after the FEMA interview hehe.
  • igillum POODYLO... 2011/08/28 18:54:53
    igillum
    +2
    It was fun to watch him school Wallace. Here it is again;

• POODYLO... igillum 2011/08/28 19:13:50
    POODYLOU ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    no link is showing
  • igillum POODYLO... 2011/08/28 19:25:13
    igillum
    +1
    I don't understand why, but try this:

• POODYLO... igillum 2011/08/28 19:32:49
    POODYLOU ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    thanks I was channel surfing for weather and missed the beginning of it. the above link finally showed up on my screen.
  • Sheepdog igillum 2011/08/28 20:17:15
    Sheepdog
    +2
    Maybe he schooled a lot of people watching this too.
  • igillum Sheepdog 2011/08/28 20:33:21
    igillum
    +2
    God, I hope so.
  • Katfish 2011/08/28 14:36:24
    No (why)
    Katfish
    +3
    I live in South Louisiana and have witnessed many people get money from FEMA for things that were not in any way damaged by the hurricane. Roofs that needed repair and leaking for years ruined floors and other parts of the interior. Many house trailers that weren't worth $500 were claimed to FEMA and a check was cut for $40,000 in one case $70,000 in another.
    FEMA requires that you first make a claim to your insurance company, if you dont have insurance, FEMA fits the bill. FEMA does very little investigation on claims compared to private insurance. This creates a moral hazard to not have insurance. Most of the FEMA money goes to propery that was not even worth insuring.
    No (why)
    perks-a real PATRIOT
    +6
  • strawberry 2011/08/28 09:52:22
    strawberry
    +2
    FEMA has a job to do, though more talk then action. Red Cross, American People themselves do most of the hard work to save their cities and towns during emergencies. We have too many government agencies, with workers on the payroll who just do a lot of talking. When hearing so much shouting about creating jobs, I think of those people already holding jobs we could do without.
  • AL 2011/08/28 05:54:06
    AL
    What is their real job anyway?
  • POODYLO... AL 2011/08/28 05:59:11
    POODYLOU ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +3
    To ensure the ability of the gov't to continue screwing the people over in the face of disaster!
  • AL POODYLO... 2011/08/28 06:07:28
    AL
    +1
    You got that right! WE had a flood a few years back here in Salem Oregon! We called them out to see cracks in our foundation. They told us they could clearly see the cracks and then refused us any Government help!
  • historian AL 2011/08/31 19:54:23
    historian
    To get Americans to trust a group of government officials that claim to be there to help in crisis. Then they haul you off, for your own good, to a be placed in an "emergency camp" aka concentration camp, and you are kept there until they say the emergency is over(until there's one that doesn't end).
  • AL historian 2011/08/31 20:08:00
    AL
    Don't they do that in any emergency already anyway-Even before FEMA gets there? Because I was never told where to go when we where in a flood about 15 years ago ourselves!
  • historian AL 2011/08/31 20:32:58
    historian
    I don't know what they did beforehand, I just know what happened here. They didn't put us in a concentration camp, but just told us we had to leave our homes or be arrested. I was talking about what occurred during Katrina when they forced those people into camps and the super dome, where they faced worse than they may have dealt with if they had been left to freely choose whether to stay in their home or go elsewhere.
  • AL historian 2011/08/31 20:48:21 (edited)
    AL
    Have you ever heard of Ray Nagin before? LOL! He had NO emergency plan at all it seems! Since he even refused to use all the school buses he had to help evacuate the people in the first place!
  • historian AL 2011/08/31 21:07:21
    historian
    Wasn't he the one that said he wanted to rebuild New Orleans into a "Chocolate City"? The incompetency of local government doesn't justify the intrusion of an equally incompetent federal one. If the benefit doesn't justify the cost, it should be done away with in my opinion.
  • AL historian 2011/08/31 21:14:31
    AL
    +1
    The local Government emergency is the very first line of personal protection in the first place! If that fails, all else fails as well! And Nagin was a complete failure at that time!
  • igillum 2011/08/28 05:44:33
    No (why)
    igillum
    +4
    The price is too high. The agenda is far more reaching than public assistance. It has turned into a huge monster that acts outside of constitutional law. People are confused by thinking government can provide and take care of them. It always takes much more than it gives, which is why this Republic was designed to govern starting with local communities not with Washington agencies being all powerful over the States and communities.
  • I. Car Rus 2011/08/28 03:25:16
    I. Car Rus
    +1
    Does the Army really help? I mean do we really need them? The FBI? they aren't in the Constitution! the Navy, do we really need them? do we really need government at all? Do we really need anything more than a flintlock and hatchet? Food for thought! army fbi constitution navy government flintlock hatchet food toothless hillbillies
  • POODYLO... I. Car Rus 2011/08/28 03:32:03
    POODYLOU ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +5
    I do believe we need some Government as a voice for us to the rest of the world. But, is 7600 Fema employees overkill.
    April 3rd 1974, I lived an an area hit hard by a tornado. I remember neighbors living in our basement, going to the church up the road to eat because we had no power. Working at the church as small child, helping receive and hand out donations of food and clothes to families. Everyone chipping in to help the community rebuild.
    Too much government intervention makes us lazy and uncaring. People assume it is the Governments responsibility to fix everything.
  • I. Car Rus POODYLO... 2011/08/28 03:42:11
    I. Car Rus
    +1
    hooray! can we do away with all social programs and let family and community take care of the disabled, old and otherwise disadvantaged? I am not kidding or being sarcastic. Can we do it?
  • POODYLO... I. Car Rus 2011/08/28 04:00:58
    POODYLOU ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +4
    In my family we take care of our own. I had an uncle born with cerebral palsy. He never received gov't assistance, my grandma and grandpa took care of him until shortly before they died then he lived with us for a brief time before he passed away.
    My dad was seriously injured when I was 10 we did not receive any assistance while he was off, my mom found a job, and we lived within our means, while he recuperated.
    It was rough, but, we made it. Thanks to the fact we had always lived within our means, and really had no debt, and some savings.
    I don't think people should be bilked out of their SS, nor do I believe anyone who has not paid in a lifetime should get it. I think people who need TEMPORARY assistance should have to do community service for it, not, just receive handouts as away of life.

I believe every person on Medicaid and medicare should have to have a living will. So we quit paying for life support because they have not chosen.

I think Ron Paul will push for these things to be reality.
  • I. Car Rus POODYLO... 2011/08/28 04:07:01
    I. Car Rus
    +1
    I agree with some of what you say, particularly with regard to living wills. Without them nursing homes and medical facilities reap all the assets folks have saved all their lives to give to their children. Don't know how old you are, but times have changed. When I was a kid almost none of my elderly relatives ever went into a nursing home. My grandmother was the exception, and I remember telling me with a heartbreaking voice that she wanted to be home.
  • POODYLO... I. Car Rus 2011/08/28 04:22:52
    POODYLOU ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +4
    I am 47. Times have change because people believe this is the home of the free. Not referring to freedom, but, someone else owes them something.
    When Obama first took office John and I had some rental property, one of which we had rented to a really nice black couple with 2 kids. They were sometimes a little late, but, always paid. February 09 I stopped by to collect the rent to get cussed up one side and down the other being told that Obama was going to be paying their bills. It took us forever to get them out of the house and when we did it was trashed. I think even the judge almost believed that Obama was their financial savior. What a joke. We managed to sell all of the properties. (THANK YOU GOD!!) But, nearly a year passed while we footed the bills for squatters....We were called prejudice for making them move.
  • I. Car Rus POODYLO... 2011/08/28 04:32:26
    I. Car Rus
    +2
    I am sorry you had that experience. I also have rental property which has sat empty almost 5 yrs now because I am fearful of letting anyone rent it. My last renters were a gay couple who always paid on time until one one of them became disabled. He struggled to get his disability and I carried them for three years. When he got his disability he paid me every dime and then some in back rent, but he was a friend and money didn't matter. I am a real softie when it comes to friends. Sounds like you had a bad judge on that case.
  • igillum I. Car Rus 2011/08/28 05:32:58
    igillum
    +1
    Medicare and Medicaid protocol will certainly shorten the life expectancy of our dependent elderly, and rid the family of responsibility.
  • I. Car Rus igillum 2011/08/28 05:39:07
    I. Car Rus
    +1
    You are joking. It hasn't yet. It was never intended to do that. Unless they change the rules, buy stock in nursing homes. You will die in one, a millionaire.
  • igillum I. Car Rus 2011/08/28 17:02:25
    igillum
    +2
    It is a huge business in support of the medico-drug cartel, not the patients.

This was summed up by J.W Hodge, M.D., of Niagara Falls, N.Y., in these words: “The medical monopoly or medical trust, euphemistically called the American Medical Association, is not merely the meanest monopoly ever organized, but the most arrogant, dangerous and despotic organization which ever managed a free people in this or any other age. Any and all methods of healing the sick by means of safe, simple and natural remedies are sure to be assailed and denounced by the arrogant leaders of the AMA doctors’ trust as fakes, frauds and humbugs.

Every practitioner of the healing art who does not ally himself with the medical trust is denounced as a ‘dangerous quack’ and impostor by the predatory trust doctors. Every sanitarian who attempts to restore the sick to a state of health by natural means without resort to the knife or poisonous drugs, disease imparting serums, deadly toxins or vaccines, is at once pounced upon by these medical tyrants and fanatics, bitterly denounced, vilified and persecuted to the fullest extent.”

In other words, we need competing medicines, just like we need competing currencies so we do not have these destructive monopolies.
  • igillum I. Car Rus 2011/08/28 05:28:45
  • POODYLO... igillum 2011/08/28 05:51:24
    POODYLOU ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    A living will does not have to choose to let die. It simply states that if I have a disease or illness that will never improve I choose not to have my life prolonged.
    The way it stands now in the absence of a living will, everything possible will be done to sustain life. The government currently spends $50,000, 000,000 on people in their last 2 months of life.
    Personally if I had cancer and all I had to look forward 2 in the next few months is my next dose of pain meds. Please, I mean PLEEEAAASSSSE, LET ME DIE!!!!!. Come on massive heart attack, something, but, don't prolong my suffering!!
    I work in a hospital, in ICU, people come in all the time with cancer throughout their body, without living wills. We do CPR, put them on life support and watch them die, a slow disgraceful death. There is nothing like the sound of some poor little frail grannies bones breaking under your hands as you try to get that old heart pumping one last time. sound poor frail grannies bones breaking hands heart pumping DNR tattoo

2014/09/17 00:01:53