Does everyone in America have the same opportunities to succeed?

Marie/M2M2K™-#1ConservativeGuru 2010/05/14 02:36:57
When I was a little girl, children were always told, "you can be anything or anyone you want to be when you grow up if you work hard and apply yourself." And it's what I told my daughter when she was a child, and even my son right now who is 13.

We have all these organizations supposedly working for those less fortunate. But does the comment still ring true? Does everyone have the same opportunities to succeed if they work hard and apply themselves?

• charlotte.n.kent 2011/04/14 02:57:52
    charlotte.n.kent
    I feel if you are a female in your fifties you will not get a job I have been looking for two years and many interviews, I know they say they cannot discrimnate against age but they do as you can't prove it:(
  • jerrbear 2010/05/26 19:02:22 (edited)
    jerrbear
    undecidedTo me if you don't come from this, your chances seem to go down,
  • ALLEYCAT 2010/05/21 14:43:43
    ALLEYCAT
    +1
    No everyone doesn't have the same opportunity to succeed. Not when you have things like affirmative action and tax breaks for hiring minorities . It a case of hows in the cat bird seat at the time with politicians. Where ever they feel they can get the most votes at the time, those are the people up for success the rest of us can go hungry. Right now if you are a white male in this country you get the same treatment as a good case of small pox . You can come out of school with a 4.0 average, have good looks, you can be the absolute best person for the job. It doesn't matter unless you have some very powerful contacts you will lose the opportunity to any of a bunch of special interest type people. After 200 years of building the most powerful nation on earth the white guy is out and the incompetent is in . if you need proof look no further than the deterioration of this nation. That's what happens when you turn the barrel over and start using the dregs at the bottom instead of the best from the top. Examples Obama, Pelosi, Boxer, Clinton, Fienstien, Napolitano, I could go on for decades but But I think these are enough to get the point across.
  • me ALLEYCAT 2010/12/26 16:42:27
    me
    +1
    You seem very bitter! If you met all the qualifications of whatever position you was going for then you would get it, no matter your race. I'm tired of some white people using affirmative action as a crutch as to why you do not get certain jobs. This is the day and age of blacks and other minorities being achievers and having the opportunity to become successful. By the way you sound through your post, it occurs to me that you cannot spell nor can you speak appropriately. This may be the reason you cannot or will not get hired. It do not appear that you are or was ever a 4.0 average student. Go back to school and learn not to be a hater!
  • Marie/M... me 2010/12/26 17:07:00
  • charlot... ALLEYCAT 2011/04/14 03:00:48
    charlotte.n.kent
    +3
    I am in total agreement and it is what you can get for the less money not experience and it really sucks :)
  • Joseph ... ALLEYCAT 2011/09/16 03:41:18
    Joseph Benson
    +1
    So anyone who isn't white is incompetent? The reason for affirmative action is minorities don't have equal opportunities to get a job as white people. Anyone can do a job well their skin color doesn't matter.
  • Marie/M... Joseph ... 2011/09/16 06:02:22
  • mowerman-back to bust libs 2010/05/20 19:50:55
    mowerman-back to bust libs
    +1
    It's still true, but the liberals have brainwashed a large number into thinking they can not.
  • Marie/M... mowerma... 2010/05/20 20:50:54
  • mowerma... Marie/M... 2010/05/21 13:05:40
    mowerman-back to bust libs
    +1
    Some how I knew you would : )
  • J 2010/05/17 17:25:12
    J
    The white-male does NOT have the same advantage as others. He is the only one who can be discriminated against in jobs, education, scholorships, etc.
  • charlot... J 2011/04/14 03:05:48
    charlotte.n.kent
    +3
    What about middle age white females ????
  • J charlot... 2011/04/15 19:48:06
    J
    She can be to some degree. But most of the TRUE discrimination is against white males - especially Christian white males.
  • charlot... J 2011/05/13 03:51:23
    charlotte.n.kent
    that is a bunch of bull most men can scratch their butt and hair and get a job . They can walk around in blue jeans. Women must be young and good body. People my age the white female can't get a job because we are too old or too fat. We also want pay that our years of experience should get .
  • J charlot... 2011/05/17 21:02:24
    J
    You are so full of it. I am a 50ish female and I just got another part-time job. And not only did I get one, two different businesses called to let me know I was hired. My ex-husband, fully qualified and highly educated went more than 18 months and just landed a job and begain working YESTERDAY. My son, has been wanting to get a job at a local plant for about 9 months now. (Yes, he currently has a job, but has to drive a great distance) and he was TOLD that they had to hire 9 minorities before they could consider him. So that is proof positive it isn't about ability or qualifications; it's about meeting quotas. And maybe YOU are too old or too fat, but your attitude is probably what keeps you from getting anywhere.
  • Eagle has Landed 2010/05/17 03:41:29
    Eagle has Landed
    +4
    Depends on the individual......
  • dzynrbob 2010/05/16 07:01:06
    dzynrbob
    +4
    We don't all need the SAME opportunities because we all have different talents. We only need equal opportunities to succeed or fail. The big government advocates would remove the ability to fail.......which would make success, worthless.
  • Heffeweizen 2010/05/16 02:51:43
    Heffeweizen
    +1
    The socialists will be defeated and we can return to American Exceptionalism.
  • ★Calliope★ 2010/05/15 22:11:45
    ★Calliope★
    +2
    Wealth notwithstanding - affirmative action, redistribution of wealth, hate crimes - any 'protected' class makes this an inherently unequal country.
  • RLars21 2010/05/15 08:10:55
    RLars21
    +1
    Obviously if your parents are rich it's easier for you to succeed you have many more opportunities to network and to be able to get the tools to succeed. Also if you're gay like me you can be fired from the miltitary for existing as you were born. the policy has nothing to do with 'acts' but your born orientation so I have a less likely chance of succeeding in the military. Also, people are born with physical and mental disabilities through no fault of their own. obviously we dont' all have the same opportunities from the get go.
  • J RLars21 2010/05/17 17:27:56
    J
    If you didn't act on your "gay", no one would/should know. Being gay is nothing more than the desire of sex from someone of your gender. Most hetrosexual people don't think it necessary to center their lives around their sexuality - and those who do, aren't respected anyway.
  • RLars21 J 2010/05/17 22:10:42 (edited)
    RLars21
    do heterosexual people date? most do I think. If I fell in love and was dating someone OFF DUTY i could be fired and lose my benefits. If there was even a HINT that i didn't like women I would be fired. I went through it as I served and had to fear every day for my career? do you have to PRETEND to like the SAME GENDER and worry about it? why is it that gay people's orientation is seen as being ENTIRELY sex based and not complex and straight people's orientation is seen as complex and based on both love and sex amongst other things.
  • charlot... RLars21 2011/05/13 03:53:51
    charlotte.n.kent
    My son is gay and he does not hide it. He has a good job and is paid well. He does not wear his gayness on his sleeve nor does he hide it.
  • charlot... charlot... 2011/12/29 22:36:14
    charlotte.n.kent
    U should be proud to be his mom and I like his choice of not bragging :)
  • J 2012/11/19 06:05:11
    +16
    so what you are saying is that he should hide his sexuality so that he wont get kicked out? No one should know that he is gay< really? He shouldnt ha ve to hide it just so that he wont get kicked out being gay does not affect how a man fights so why does it matter?
  • J 2012/11/19 19:48:54
    J
    I guess that is what I am saying. I don't expect to be treated a certain way because I like to have sex swinging on a light pole.
  • Steve O 2010/05/15 07:45:58
    Steve O
    +2
    Everything in our society is based on MONEY. If you are poor and happen to make the right connections you may be one of the lucky few to advance. For most that does not happen no matter how hard you try.

Look at politics today........many say that if you do not have an Ivy League Degree that you are uneducated. It doesn't matter where you graduated at or what your GPA was.

I personally know people who graduated from Universities that were not in the Ivy League and had very high GPA's earn salaries that are much less than someone who barely graduated from Harvard or Yale.
  • J Steve O 2010/05/17 17:32:38
    J
    +1
    My son, who checked on his SATs that he was black, received several letters from Yale, one from Berkley and even one from Harvard. But Yale wanted him bad. No, he isn't really that intelligent (scholastically anyway) that he should be able to attend any university, but he did do well on the test. What cinched the desire to have him came from his color. When Berkley found out he wasn't black, but very white, they were furious that he had "lied" on his test. Of course, they were right, so we had no recourse. But, doesn't it say something pretty negative about these universities and colleges that will lower their standards for some?
  • Steve O J 2010/05/26 18:38:01
    Steve O
    +1
    sure does
  • me J 2010/12/26 16:47:41
    me
    +3
    It says that your son is a full blown liar and why would they have someone like your son represent their University!
  • Marie/M... me 2010/12/26 17:07:05
  • J me 2011/01/03 20:34:47 (edited)
    J
    My son did lie on his SAT, but he is by far NOT a full-blown liar. He KNEW he couldn't afford to go to college. He is from a working-class (not even middle-class) home, white, Christian, and straight and unfortunately, was an "average" student. There was no way he was getting any assistance. I don't think he felt it was going to hinder his ability to "get in to" any college/university regardless of his answers. Said he did try on the test, just out of curosity.
  • charlot... me 2011/05/13 03:55:24
    charlotte.n.kent
    It is a shame he had to lie that is discrimation against whites we deserve a chance too.
  • j2 2010/05/15 02:34:19
    j2
    +2
    The SAME opportunities? Not a chance. I'm not nearly tall enough to play professional basketball. We weren't all dealt the same hand to play. But we do have an opportunity to use what cards we do have without complete obstruction. I started life absolutely dirt poor and am doing fairly well, having gotten a decent education which is available to most individuals who really apply themselves academically.
  • Rick 2010/05/15 02:08:32
    Rick
    +2
    In America the opportunities are there. Even more so for minorities. There's no reason anyone can't succeed, with the possible exception of serious health problems. But I do think conservative women are held to a different standard that is not fair.
    minorities reason succeed exception health problems conservative women standard fair
  • charlot... Rick 2011/05/13 03:57:10
    charlotte.n.kent
    what is she on here for there is no money for clothes here
  • Artemis ~PHAET 2010/05/15 00:51:25
    Artemis ~PHAET
    +3
    Honestly, I truly believe that nowadays, it's not what you can do, but how much money you have and who you know that opens doors.
  • Edward 2010/05/15 00:02:04
    Edward
    +2
    it's really up to the individual and the goals he or she has set and not the money even though it helps.
  • Brenda 2010/05/14 23:26:06
    Brenda
    +2
    This is America, land of dreams, yes, work hard, you can be anything you want to be.....

2014/11/01 04:08:08