Does celebrating America's freedoms this 4th of July feel a little awkward in leu of recent events?

Simmering Frog 2012/07/04 00:10:00

• Chief 2012/07/04 17:45:50
    Chief
    Seems like all those that fought and died for this Country have, have died in vane.
  • Waldorf 2012/07/04 14:58:03
    Waldorf
    I have a nice tall flag pole and am not motivated to put up a US flag.
    Yes it does with all the evil that has been used by the Republicans it is more like watching the formation of the New American Fascist Party than the old GOP.
  • Simmeri... sjalan 2012/07/04 16:35:32
    Simmering Frog
    Dude, give it up already.
  • sjalan Simmeri... 2012/07/04 16:51:58
    The Celebration of the 4th is supposed to represent the UNITING of our country 230+ years ago. Today we see diffrent groups tearing down that unity every single day based upon their own selfishness and greed. The greed of power, corrupts; and has corrupted the premise that we are One Nation. Instead we are less than even a collection of states

You have your opinion, I have mine. YOU asked the question. I answered
  • Simmeri... sjalan 2012/07/04 18:01:19
    Simmering Frog
    And ironically it's you who is doing the dividing.
  • sjalan Simmeri... 2012/07/04 18:56:26
    Not at all. I find the Unitiy of of the various non-religious groups to be far more solid than that of the divided "I'm right" religious groups that place their dogma, doctrines and beliefs above the betterment of our country.

Their control of the Conservative right is what is the largest dividing force, "If your not with us your against us" attitude of religious groups when it is forced into the political planks of the Republican Party, it becomes even more divisive.
  • Lydecho Rain (Лидия) 2012/07/04 05:33:21
    Lydecho Rain (Лидия)
    I don't celebrate fourth of july since I don't even live in America.
  • JanHopkins 2012/07/04 04:33:21
    JanHopkins
    It feels hypocritical. How can we joyfully celebrate freedom under the weight of our government?
  • Sinpac 2012/07/04 01:55:53
    Sinpac
    Nope! late time I checked I was still American and proud of it!
  • ConLibFraud 2012/07/04 01:27:18
    ConLibFraud
    I am embarrassed and disappointed that anyone would celebrate the 4th of July. America should have stopped celebrating any independence day as far back as 1913. Awkward does even come close.

Have a happy and safe Governance Dependence Day.
  • angelbaby 2012/07/04 01:20:05
    angelbaby
    It's feels MORE important!!!
    feels important
  • Simmeri... angelbaby 2012/07/04 16:37:00
    Simmering Frog
    Yes, let freedom ring but be careful to follow the government ordinance on bell volume so you won't disturb your neighbors or actvivate the ACLU.
  • angelbaby Simmeri... 2012/07/04 17:40:49 (edited)
    angelbaby
    Lol!!
  • LAAD Gunner - USMC 2012/07/04 00:42:40
    LAAD Gunner - USMC
    Never! However I do know where you're coming from with that statement. Things look awful bleak as of late...however we must push on and preserve our nation no matter what the cost and no matter what our "leaders" do to us. Tomorrow is still Independence Day and this is still America...we will push on...we will prevail.
  • Diane 2012/07/04 00:36:32
    Diane
    "...in leu of recent events?"

What does "leu" mean? Is that French? Or is it some sort of baby talk babble?
  • LAAD Gu... Diane 2012/07/04 00:43:31
    LAAD Gunner - USMC
    You have Google...look it up.
  • Diane LAAD Gu... 2012/07/04 00:53:31
    Diane
    It's not a word, Einstein.
  • LAAD Gu... Diane 2012/07/04 01:13:54
    LAAD Gunner - USMC
    Well perhaps "leu" is not, however lieu is...God forbid someone spells a word wrong... "In lieu of recent events" is a variation of the expression "In light of recent events". Idk if the use of the word lieu used in this context is "technically" correct, however in the English language new expressions and new uses of words are developed regularly so I would say that "in lieu of recent events" is perfectly acceptable due to the fact that it is a very common expression and that MOST people understand its meaning. If nothing else you should be able to understand its meaning due to context of the question and the expression used. But because you cannot seem to figure it out for yourself I will help you. The question reads "Does celebrating America's freedoms this 4th of July feel a little awkward in leu of recent events?" so it can be logically inferred that you could replace the words "in lieu" with "as a result"...does it make more since to you now? In this case it would now read "Does celebrating America's freedoms this 4th of July feel a little awkward as a result of recent events?"

Perhaps instead of being a smart ass and making fun of the author of this question, you should have been using your common (or not so common) sense and attempted figuring out the meaning of this question for yourself. Because sometimes being a smart ass has the opposite of the desired effect, it makes YOU look stupid.
  • Diane LAAD Gu... 2012/07/04 04:03:16
    Diane
    "In lieu of" doesn't mean "in light of" or "as a result of." "In lieu of" means "instead of."
  • Dagon 2012/07/04 00:27:39
  • Scott 2012/07/04 00:21:33
    Scott
    Did it feel awkward when the Patriot Act was enacted?

2014/08/22 09:57:20