Does anyone know how many active Battleships the US still has in their inventory?

CCRNRT 2012/06/10 13:01:18
Related Topics: US
I ask this because recently I was told there were none.

• William 2014/08/10 07:21:01
    William
    Although the navy firmly believed in the capabilities of the DD(X) destroyer program, members of the United States Congress remained skeptical about the efficiency of the new destroyers when compared to the battleships. Partially as a consequence, Congress passed Pub. L. 109-364, the National Defense Authorization Act 2007, requiring the battleships be kept and maintained in a state of readiness should they ever be needed again. Congress ordered that the following measures be implemented to ensure that, if need be, Iowa and Wisconsin can be returned to active duty:
    1. Iowa and Wisconsin must not be altered in any way that would impair their military utility;
    2. The battleships must be preserved in their present condition through the continued use of cathodic protection, dehumidification systems, and any other preservation methods as needed;
    3. Spare parts and unique equipment such as the 16-inch (410 mm) gun barrels and projectiles be preserved in adequate numbers to support Iowa and Wisconsin, if reactivated;
    4. The navy must prepare plans for the rapid reactivation of Iowa and Wisconsin should they be returned to the navy in the event of a national emergency.
    Prior to the reduction of ships in the DD(X) destroyer program, it seemed unlikely that the above four conditions wou...
    Prior to the reduction of ships in the DD(X) destroyer program, it seemed unlikely that the above four conditions would have impeded the current plan to turn Iowa and Wisconsin into museum ships because the navy had expected a sufficient number of DD(X) destroyers to be ready to help fill the Naval Ship Fire Support gap by 2018 at the earliest; however, the July 2008 decision by the navy to cancel the DD(X) program would leave the navy without a ship class capable of replacing the two battleships removed from the Naval Vessel Register in March 2006. Although unlikely, the cancellation of the DD(X) destroyer program may result in a reinstatement of Iowa and Wisconsin to the Naval Vessel Register; by law, the navy is required to maintain two battleships on the register until the navy certifies that it has within its fleet the operation NSFS capability that can meet or exceed the amount provided by the battleships, and with the Extended Range Guided Munitions program already cancelled in March 2008 and DD(X) destroyer program essentially cancelled in July 2008 the navy does not appear to have met its needed criteria for battleship removal. James T. Conway, Commandant of the Marine Corps has said that missiles fired from the Littoral combat ship could fulfill the USMC needs for NSFS. This would not be the current NLOS-LS program as the range of the PAM missile at 22 miles (35 km) falls short of the threshold requirement for NSFS of 41 miles (66 km) and the number of CLUs the current LCS designs can carry in a ready to fire configuration is also short of the required volume of fire. The Loitering Attack Missile could have matched the required range, but it was cancelled in 2011 and the LCS would still have fallen short in terms of rounds ready to fire.
  • nothingbutthetruth 2012/07/10 10:22:28
    I don't know
    nothingbutthetruth
    That's something i would like to know.
  • Denny 2012/06/11 03:30:58
    I think there are__________________________
    Denny
    There are none. The Wisconsin is in Norfork, The Missori is in Pearl Harbor and the Iowa is going to the West Coast. Haven't heard where the New Jersey is and or is going.
  • Sgt Maj... Denny 2012/06/11 04:25:23
    Sgt Major B
    +1
    USS New Jersey (BB 62) Serves as a museum and memorial in Camden, N.J.

List of all existing US battleships is 6 comments below this one.
  • William Denny 2014/08/10 07:23:40
    William
    +2
    New Jersey is in New Jersey
  • beach bum 2012/06/10 22:24:12
    I don't know
    beach bum
    i don't really know
  • Stryder 2012/06/10 19:04:40 (edited)
    Stryder
    None. All decommissioned. Some are being or have been converted into floating museums. Personally, I don't think they should have ever been decommed. If you ever get a chance to see one in person, by all means do it. They're awe-inspiring to look at.
  • DuncanONeil 2012/06/10 16:41:34
    DuncanONeil
    Depends on how you look at it. There are NO active Battleships.
    However, "Congress passed Pub.L. 109-163, the National Defense Authorization Act 2006, requiring that the battleships be kept and maintained in a state of readiness should they ever be needed again.[25] Congress had ordered that the following measures be implemented to ensure that, if need be, Wisconsin could be returned to active duty:

Wisconsin must not be altered in any way that would impair her military utility;
    The battleship must be preserved in her present condition through the continued use of cathodic protection, dehumidification systems, and any other preservation methods as needed;
    Spare parts and unique equipment such as the 16 in (410 mm) gun barrels and projectiles be preserved in adequate numbers to support Wisconsin, if reactivated;
    The Navy must prepare plans for the rapid reactivation of Wisconsin should she be returned to the Navy in the event of a national emergency.[25]"

Same applies to the Iowa.

109th Congress, House of Representatives. Report 109-163. National Defense Authorization Act of 2006. Page 68. Accessed 26 November 2006
  • rustyshackelford 2012/06/10 16:39:55
  • Woody 2012/06/10 16:37:54
    Woody
    In the 21st century, there are no battleships in the United States Navy.
  • Sgt Major B 2012/06/10 16:16:51 (edited)
    Sgt Major B
    +1
    None are curently active. Several are still in use as museums and memorials. You'll find a complete list of all US Battleships, their commissioning dates and dispositions at the link below.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/...

If you're interested in US Aircraft Carriers, here's a similar link.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/...
  • Sgt Maj... Sgt Maj... 2012/06/10 17:50:27
    Sgt Major B
    Little more info on those that are still around:

USS Texas (BB 35) Permanent memorial at San Jacinto State Park.
    USS Arizona (BB 39) The USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor, HI.
    USS North Carolina (BB 55) Dedicated as memorial 29 Apr 1962 at Wilmington, N.C.
    USS Massachusetts (BB 59) Dedicated as a memorial at Battleship Cove in Fall River, MA on 14 August 1965.
    USS Alabama (BB 60) Opened as a museum, 9 Jan 1965 in Mobile Bay, AL
    USS Iowa (BB 61) Will anchor permanently in San Pedro, CA on 9 June 2012 at Berth 87, and open as a museum on 7 July 2012.
    USS Missouri (BB 63) Serves as a museum 1,000 yards from the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor, HI.
    USS Wisconsin (BB 64) Moored at the National Maritime Center, Norfolk, Va., the centerpiece of a four-part naval history exhibit.
  • apachehellfire65 2012/06/10 16:16:09
    apachehellfire65
    i think you was told right. i don't think any are still active. and oi think there is only like two in the mothball fleet.
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2012/06/10 16:06:56
  • MichaelDillon 2012/06/10 16:04:08
    MichaelDillon
    +1
    None in service. Four Iowa class are still around but would be costly to put in service. They might have some utility for special operations or diplomatic statements but that is subject of intense debate. iowa class
    I don't know
    new submarine last week
  • Vision of Verve 2012/06/10 14:46:15
  • FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX 2012/06/10 14:36:28 (edited)
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
  • Waldorf 2012/06/10 14:21:49
    Waldorf
    +1
    None is my understanding. They are sitting ducks to today's missiles. The big guns are old technology.
  • ManBearPig 2012/06/10 14:18:50
    ManBearPig
    +2
    there are none because battleships are outdated military technology... it is all about destroyers and aircraft carriers along with submarines
  • Bingo's Faddah 2012/06/10 13:39:10
    Bingo's Faddah
    +2
    Good question, I think none. I'm too lazy to look it up thought. The aircraft carrier has displaces the battleship as the preferred marine fighting platform. I do believe that one or 2 of the old ships can return to sea if needed.

battleship
  • CCRNRT Bingo's... 2012/06/10 13:41:56
    CCRNRT
    +1
    yep, it's none. Thanks
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2012/06/10 13:37:54
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
  • CCRNRT Kat ♪ ~... 2012/06/10 13:42:42
    CCRNRT
    +2
    thanks, I am so lazy on Sunday mornings
  • Kat ♪ ~... CCRNRT 2012/06/10 13:46:33
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +2
    Not a problem, Have a good day.
  • CCRNRT Kat ♪ ~... 2012/06/10 13:47:46
    CCRNRT
    +2
    thanks, you too
  • Wahvlvke 2012/06/10 13:27:08
    Wahvlvke
    +2
    As far as I know they are all in "mothballs".
  • CCRNRT Wahvlvke 2012/06/10 13:32:22
    CCRNRT
    +1
    That's what I heard. Thanks
  • Wahvlvke CCRNRT 2012/06/10 21:37:35
    Wahvlvke
    You are welcome.
  • Bingo's... Wahvlvke 2012/06/10 13:40:55
    Bingo's Faddah
    +2
    Aren't they real teeny? Poor packing material.....

male moth

Jeez, I can't even find them!
  • wtxwoman Bingo's... 2012/06/10 16:47:50
    wtxwoman
    +1
    You reminded me of an old joke. It goes like this:

Question: Have you ever smelled mothballs?

Answer: yeah,

Question: How'd you get his little legs apart?
  • Bingo's... wtxwoman 2012/06/10 17:21:55
    Bingo's Faddah
    +1
    Exactly!

• Wahvlvke Bingo's... 2012/06/10 21:38:13
    Wahvlvke
    I hope you are not that dumb.
  • Bingo's... Wahvlvke 2012/06/11 12:14:12
    Bingo's Faddah
    Nice way to get acquainted. Why not ask if you don't understand something?
  • Jim in SC 2012/06/10 13:26:05
    Jim in SC
    +2
    The U.S. navy has no active battleships. They have all been decommissioned. The largest surface warfare vessels are cruisers. The largest vessels overall are aircraft carriers.
  • CCRNRT Jim in SC 2012/06/10 13:27:42
    CCRNRT
    +2
    Yes, that is what I heard. Thanks..... Do you know why
  • Jim in SC CCRNRT 2012/06/10 13:30:04
    Jim in SC
    +2
    The battleships were decommissioned because they are too expensive to maintain, and they are too old. The last 4 we had were built in WW2, and upgraded to modernize them. With cruise missile technology, the large battleship is pretty much obsolete.
  • CCRNRT Jim in SC 2012/06/10 13:33:07
    CCRNRT
    +2
    thanks
  • Changeling 2012/06/10 13:12:15
    I don't know
    Changeling
    +2
    I am sure there are several and on missions we are not told about
  • CCRNRT Changeling 2012/06/10 13:12:57
    CCRNRT
    +2
    maybe... thanks

2014/10/20 18:05:08