Does anyone else find it insulting and inappropriate to compare the Homosexual rights issue with the African American struggle in this country?

CAPISCE 2012/08/07 01:21:03
YES
no
The Coalition of African American Pastors (CAAP) announced at the National Press Club on Tuesday that the grassroots group - comprised of the more than 3,000 members - is a launching a national campaign to support marriage between one man and one woman and to oppose the Obama administration’s efforts to advance same-sex marriage
CAAP states that “homosexual practices of same-sex couples are in violation of religious and social norms and are aberrant” and that same-sex unions “are sinful and in direct violation of the law of God in that they are a deviation from the natural use and purpose of the body.”

It concludes: “We therefore declare our opposition to any deviation from traditional marriages of male and female, notwithstanding the rulings of the court systems of the land or acts of legislative bodies in support of same-sex 'marriage' and/or civil unions. And to call on Pres. Obama to repudiate his assertion that gay marriage is a civil right.”

• Harriet Tubman 2012/08/07 05:32:18 (edited)
    YES
    Harriet Tubman
    +20
    I favor legalization of gay marriage so I do not agree with these ministers. But I do emphatically agree with the question, I do "find it insulting and inappropriate to compare the Homosexual rights issue with the African American struggle in this country". All a gay man needs to do to pass for straight is to dress, walk and talk like one. I do dress, walk and talk like the educated, professional woman that I am and no one is taking this fat, ugly old dark black woman for white. I was assaulted by racist whites in civil rights demonstrations in the 60's and I sure do not appreciate gays comparing their persecution to ours. All persecution is wrong, and I sympathize with gays, but do not compare their suffering with ours.

• Jesus Garcia 2012/08/14 00:08:09
    YES
    Jesus Garcia
    +1
    Emphatically yes.
  • RushSchlafly 2012/08/13 19:13:45
    YES
    RushSchlafly
    +2
    Homosеxuality is a disgusting, filthy, depraved pervеrsion. Not only should "gay marriage" be outlawed, but all homosеxual acts should be criminalized.
    disgusting filthy depraved perversion gay marriage outlawed homosexual acts criminalized

Join our Sodahead Group:
    AGAINST THE GAY AGENDA
    Group for those who oppose the erosion of our traditional family values and the propagation of the myth that homosexuality is normal and acceptable.
    http://www.sodahead.com/livin...

Read My Blog
  • Chris- Demon of the PHAET 2012/08/11 10:41:13
    no
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +2
    As an upper middle class, white male it would be ridiculous for me to compare my life to a black man living in 1960's Alabama. I am very well aware of the advantages my birth has given me. I have never been fire hosed, attacked by police dogs, or needed the National Guard to protect me while I walked to school. I have never been called a racial slur, I have always had the right to vote, and I did not need a constitutional amendment to make me a "whole" citizen. I never had to sit in the back of the bus, use separate restrooms, or been told to only use the back door. I don't know any LGBT who has been lynched.

As a gay man there are over twenty states in America where it is perfectly legal to deny me employment or housing because of my sexual orientation. If I marry in one the few states that will allow me to do so, I am still denied the 1,138 rights and privileges provided by the Federal government to married couples. ( Social Security survivor benefits, 176 tax provisions for married couples, head of house hold status, and family medical leave, to name a few) I have been called gay slurs many times. Many people feel perfectly justified in stating I molest children, spread disease, abuse drugs, am immoral and un-natural. (The Coalition of African American Pastors has added...

As a gay man there are over twenty states in America where it is perfectly legal to deny me employment or housing because of my sexual orientation. If I marry in one the few states that will allow me to do so, I am still denied the 1,138 rights and privileges provided by the Federal government to married couples. ( Social Security survivor benefits, 176 tax provisions for married couples, head of house hold status, and family medical leave, to name a few) I have been called gay slurs many times. Many people feel perfectly justified in stating I molest children, spread disease, abuse drugs, am immoral and un-natural. (The Coalition of African American Pastors has added I am" in violation of social norms and are aberrant." so list gets bigger.) There are many places in this country where I risk being beaten up, or worse, if someone thinks I am gay. i personally know two people who were "gay bashed" and both ended up in the hospital as a result. We have all heard or read about people being killed simply because they were homosexual though no lynching was not involved.

Having said all that, I would still not compare my experiences to that of an African American during the sixties. I actually consider myself to be quite lucky. In the thirty years I have lived openly as a gay man I have seen more acceptance and a bigger change in attitudes towards LGBT than I ever thought I would and that's a good thing. The rest will come.

As for The Coalition of African American Pastors, they have the right to their opinion. I suppose one could argue there are degrees of inequality and differences in how some people are discriminated against. One could also argue that using a Biblical argument against homosexuals is exactly what many people did in support of slavery which is more than a little hypocritical. Whatever...

Personally I agree with Jesse Jackson, Julian Bond, Arch Bishop Desmond Tutu, Nelson Mandella, Reverend Dr. James Lawton, Coretta Scott King, and NAACP President Benjamin Todd Jealous who have all said the right to marriage for same sex couples is a civil right which they support.
  • CAPISCE Chris- ... 2012/08/11 14:14:51
    CAPISCE
    +1
    You should have ended your post after the first sentence
  • Chris- ... CAPISCE 2012/08/11 15:48:01
    Chris- Demon of the PHAET
    +1
    I'm sure there are many who would agree with you.
  • findthe... Chris- ... 2012/08/11 19:10:16
    findthelight2000
    +1
    Bravo!
  • CAPISCE findthe... 2012/08/13 22:32:43
    CAPISCE
    Everything after the first sentence was justification
  • Maria 2012/08/10 21:53:24
    YES
    Maria
    +3
    It is insulting and wrong to compare it with the Chicano struggle or the Native American struggle as well.
  • JohnHorse 2012/08/10 21:27:34
    YES
    JohnHorse
    +2
    Yes, by Shango.
  • seattleman 2012/08/10 00:52:12
    no
    seattleman
    +4
    I consider the current struggle for marriage equality to be part of a civil rights movement. Small letters. The Civil Rights Movement (capital letters) of the 60s that led to the passage of The Civil Rights Act and The Voting Rights Act is the big umbrella that the current movement is under. It's all linked together, and is part of the ongoing Civil Rights Movement. It never stopped.

The CAAP is free to do as they wish, but I support marriage equality so I won't support them.
  • Dan 2012/08/09 21:47:34
    YES
    Dan
    +3
    I find it very insulting. Being black is based on who I am. I can believe I'm white or asian or some other ethnic group but my outward apperance tells me I'm black. Being gay is base on how I feel and what I do. It's just like the young man in Colorado he could have murderous thoughts and feelings all day long but he was not a muderer until he acted on those thoughts and feelings. Another example is the Chick-Fil-A- ordeal. If blacks were to boycott Chick-Fil-A-, we simply need to show up we don't need signs or anything else and you would know that blacks are boycotting. Gay must have a kiss in and carry signs of protest because gay is not based on who you are but how you feel and what you do.
  • CAPISCE Dan 2012/08/09 23:33:23
  • lurx: the soda jerk 2012/08/09 21:35:22
  • CAPISCE lurx: t... 2012/08/09 21:38:59
    CAPISCE
    I am disgusted and insulted by the comparison but I thank you for your opinion
  • lurx: t... CAPISCE 2012/08/09 21:41:15
    lurx: the soda jerk
    +3

...apparently you'd be in the minority.
  • Ferηαηdo 夢 2012/08/09 20:41:19
    no
    Ferηαηdo 夢
    +5
    Nope, both deal with the discrimination of minorities by the majority.
  • CAPISCE Ferηαηdo 夢 2012/08/09 21:06:30
    CAPISCE
    Your opinion is not shared by many but I thank you for it
  • Ferηαηdo 夢 CAPISCE 2012/08/09 21:10:22
    Ferηαηdo 夢
    +3
    I don't voice my opinion based on what the majority thinks about it but thank you for the respectful response.
  • findthelight2000 2012/08/09 14:31:49 (edited)
    no
    findthelight2000
    +5
    No..., I find it ultimately hypocritical that the CAAP would support discrimination of people no matter who they are. It is also a slap in the face of what Martin Luther King Jr. and his wife Corretta Scott King stood for. Corretta Scott King even declared such dissatisfaction with her children for their supporting discrimination of the LGBTQ community shortly before she died, stating that her and her husband's work was for the equality of all people, not just blacks.
  • CAPISCE findthe... 2012/08/09 16:13:21
    CAPISCE
    That's racist
  • CAPISCE CAPISCE 2012/08/09 16:14:19
  • findthe... CAPISCE 2012/08/09 21:05:03
    findthelight2000
    +3
    THAT'S racist!
  • reaper CAPISCE 2012/08/10 08:21:17
  • CAPISCE reaper 2012/08/10 13:10:53
    CAPISCE
    lol---good one
  • Iamfree 2012/08/08 21:54:18
    YES
    Iamfree
    +1
    Yes, I do.
  • Siddiqi 2012/08/08 13:54:29
    YES
    Siddiqi
    +2
    These brave, righteous men deserve our support. I may not be Christian, but I feel these pastors speak for me on this issue. It is time people spoke up for morality.
  • jeane 2012/08/08 03:33:42
    YES
    jeane
    +2
    Most blacks that I know of hate it. We don't have to DO anything to be black. Our heritage is genetic as in our genes.
  • JoeM~PWCM~JLA 2012/08/08 00:07:10
    YES
    JoeM~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    I can not stretch my imagination far enough to figure out how anyone could make such a ludicrous comparison.
  • Radlad 2012/08/07 22:35:44
    YES
    Radlad
    +4
    I'm not black and I'm insulted by it. If you are a homosexual. Nobody knows it unless you tell them. What rights are homosexuals not being permitted. Marriage is between one man and one woman. Homosexuals are not a separate race. For whatever reason an activity they chose. ............
  • reaper Radlad 2012/08/10 08:24:22
  • Robbie reaper 2012/08/11 15:43:29
    Robbie
    I hate that nasty woman, I want to puke whenever she comes on my tv.
  • Lily 2012/08/07 22:23:15
    no
    Lily
    +2
    Now if this question was asked 30-40 years ago, I would have selected Yes. When people are raped, murdered or tortured for the way they were born, it's a hate crime. I would think the black community would come together over this because they know what its like and the older generation knows the struggle. Sad that they seperate themselves from a group that is having the same issue.
  • CAPISCE Lily 2012/08/07 22:24:26
    CAPISCE
    +2
    They did pull together--they are against Gay marriage
  • Lily CAPISCE 2012/08/07 22:31:36
    Lily
    +2
    So they've taken up the very ideology that was used against them, Ironic!
  • CAPISCE Lily 2012/08/07 23:19:39
    CAPISCE
    +2
    Skin color is not a sexual behavior---don't understand why you can't see the difference. And as far as the suffering---not even close
  • Lily CAPISCE 2012/08/08 03:11:32
    Lily
    +2
    It's a matter of opinion. Some believe that homosexuality is defined before birth and its not the skin colour, it's the rights associated with freedom. As for suffering, you've suffered? Why do I doubt the fight years ago was yours? You benefit from their struggle and disgrace the steps forward they made by denying others the very same right.
  • CAPISCE Lily 2012/08/08 15:54:08
    CAPISCE
    +1
    Some believe the Earth is flat and Elvis is still alive
  • Lily CAPISCE 2012/08/09 14:11:46
    Lily
    +1
    ...yea okay.
  • findthe... CAPISCE 2012/08/09 21:08:19
    findthelight2000
    We aren't talking about you. We are fully willing to let you believe that the Earth is flat and that Elvis is still alive.
  • Robbie findthe... 2012/08/11 15:56:04
    Robbie
    I see your avatar is the rainbow flaming chalice of the "welcoming congregation" of the Unitarian-Universalist Church. My mother and I were UUs until they adopted the false dogma of gay rights, that homosexuality is normal and acceptable. UUs used to be the church of freethought, without dogma. James Reeb and Viola Liuzzo were white UUs who gave their lives to help free black people. I will never forgive the people who have driven us out of the church because we do not accept gay false propaganda.

2014/11/23 01:35:38