Does a right to guns in order to resist the government make sense?

L.A. Times 2013/01/29 19:11:27
Gun owners truly have nothing to worry about. There are no federal commandos coming to break down their doors and take away their guns. Sure, there is an outside chance that a universal gun registration system will be approved by Congress, but anything more, including -- and especially -- an assault weapons ban, will be scuttled by the House Republican caucus, if not by Democrats trying to win reelection in gun-friendly red states.

And yet, given the rhetoric of the National Rifle Assn. lobbyists and the noisy agitators in the conservative media complex, one would think that President Obama is planning the modern equivalent of the British march on Lexington to confiscate patriot firearms.

guns

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/topoftheticke...

• RTHTGakaRoland 2013/01/29 22:01:45 (edited)
    RTHTGakaRoland
    +69
    "The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil Constitution, are worth defending at all hazards; and it is our duty to defend them against all attacks. We have received them as a fair inheritance from our worthy ancestors: they purchased them for us with toil and danger and expense of treasure and blood, and transmitted them to us with care and diligence. It will bring an everlasting mark of infamy on the present generation, enlightened as it is, if we should suffer them to be wrested from us by violence without a struggle, or to be cheated out of them by the artifices of false and designing men." - Samuel Adams

jpfo chart

I bet that one of the last thoughts of many of those in gun control's mass graves was that they should have resisted and resisted early and hard.

"The militia of these free commonwealths, entitled and accustomed to their arms, when compared with any possible army, must be tremendous and irresistible. Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... the unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." - Tench Coxe

• littlebuffalo55TBA 2013/02/15 20:36:03
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    Of course it does! If the administers of who WE the People violate that trust WE have given them. Please provide proof there are not "Federal Commandos coming to break down doors"?

That any citizen of this nation does not get that the government is US and those entrusted to operate it by US must hold that sacred!

This has already been violated! As it stands the government freely admits over 77,000 have already falsified (a felony) and that less than 50 have been prosecuted. I mean what is wrong with this picture?
  • Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel 2013/02/12 11:34:08
    Annie~Pro American~Pro Israel
    +1
    The ballot here must be stuffed. This is the only poll i have seen where its even close.
  • Alex Goldsmith 2013/02/04 14:19:20
    Alex Goldsmith
    +1
    revolutionary war was not that long ago, starting 1775, that could be as few as 4-5 generations. amazing how much we accomplished in 230 years after its end in 1783
  • Timetraveler 2013/02/03 12:48:32
    Timetraveler
    My right as a man weren't granted in the constitution, they came from my creator. No man has the inherent right to tell another what to do. The constitution was written as a government restraint. to control the governments attempt to control the people. I am a sovereign man, not a "person" . If you look at any law composed by government you will never find any reference to a man or women only persons. On property deeds you will find "tenants" your control over your own life is given away when you "hold office"
  • Icanbean Arschloch 2013/02/02 15:07:47
    Icanbean  Arschloch
    +2
    Department of Homeland Security = Federal Commandos.
  • TheFasterGun 2013/02/02 00:46:29 (edited)
    TheFasterGun
    +2
    At Thermopylae, 1,000,000 Persians lost 20,000 yet failed to disarm just 300 spartans...
    80,000,000 LAWFUL Americans will resist even harder.

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."

- George Washington

essential liberty purchase temporary safety deserve liberty safety benjamin franklin

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun."
    - Patrick Henry
  • SoD TheFast... 2013/03/23 15:53:24
    SoD
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • Friday - Just the Facts 2013/02/02 00:00:45
  • RTHTGak... Friday ... 2013/02/02 02:16:20
    RTHTGakaRoland
    We must pity the poor wretched, timid soul who is too faint-hearted to resist his oppressors. He sings the song of the dammed: “I can’t fight back; I have too much to lose; I own too much property; I have worked too hard to get what I have; They will put me out of business if I resist; I might go to jail; I have my family to think about.” Such poor miserable creatures have misplaced values and are hiding their cowardice behind pretended family responsibility -- blindly refusing to see that the most glorious legacy that one can bequeath to posterity is liberty; and that the only true security is liberty. - Marvin Cooley
  • SW RTHTGak... 2013/02/03 16:33:10 (edited)
    SW
    +1
    OK Rambo.

Problem is that gun-nuts would BE the oppressors. They'll have you convinced that "fighting back" is "Fighting the opposing party of evil commie gay liberal Muslim (or whatever) big government." That's how they did it in Darfur. AM Radio pundits had half the ARMED people thinking the other half were cockroaches and they did their job for them. Same with Cambodia. They didn't "disarm the people" they armed them against each other.

We must pity the pathetic cowardly paranoid douchebag who thinks that oppression can only be opposed by shooting people. How'd they stop the oppression of Jim Crowe laws? Howd they stop the oppression of not letting women vote? Real heroes can change things without firing a shot.

Meanwhile the fight of the oppressors goes on!
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/03...
  • illinoyed SW 2013/02/07 20:45:17
    illinoyed
    +1
    "Real heroes can changes things without firing a shot."

Awesome.
  • Illumin... SW 2013/02/17 06:49:42
    Illuminatti 37°
    Who is doing the oppressing? I have heard of no gun aficondos oppressing anyone in the United States. It looks more like the government poiticians trying to do the oppressing. I find socialist governance as very oppressing and more than a little stifling. Force is the tool used by socialists. They must force everyone to accept the schemes and scams they dream up.

Real heroes? Millions of REAL HEROES died doing as you suggest in Russia and China, in Cambodia, Cuba, their means of effective defence were removed, they resisted regardless, they died.

Are you that trusting of a government that will step on the people by passing legislation they REFUSE to allow the people to see before it is passed, such as the restrictive health care TAX? Politicians such as that deserve no trust, no support, and certainly should not be allowed to disarm the public. They have shown their true colours. Red, white, and blue? I think not.
  • SW Illumin... 2013/02/26 14:36:59 (edited)
    SW
    I donno kids at those schools were pretty oppressed by those gun afficinatos.

It's not an "effective defense." Never was. It's an effective means of keeping us scared shi#%less of each other.

And what "legislation that they refused to allow people to see?" That's bs. I trust my elected government more than I trust some nutbag militia in Montana and certainly more than some insurance company CEOs and way way more than any gun manufacturers and their army of lobbyist$ (aka the NRA). Were you "allowed to see" their policies? Can you "vote them out?"

I trust the elected government more than the unelected corporate government conservatives bow down to.
  • SoD SW 2013/03/23 17:05:17
    SoD
    "I donno kids at those schools were pretty oppressed by those gun afficinatos."

Can you gun control advocacy miscreants construct a single argument without exploiting the death of children for political gain?
  • SoD SW 2013/03/23 16:15:58
    SoD
    If gun rights advocates in general wanted to oppress anyone, they would be doing it right now.

It's not happening.

I just want to be left alone.
  • SW SoD 2013/03/25 13:44:45 (edited)
    SW
    The 31,000 people or so who die every year from gunshot wounds are pretty "oppressed."

I don't think you want to oppress anyone. I think gun manufacturer lobbyists have convinced you that having any sensible laws at all about guns is scary so they can sell more guns. Regardless of the cost in human lives.

What's funny is nobody wants to take your guns. All we want is not to have stores sell to known felons and mental patients, and not sell military style assault weapons to just anybody. That's it. What's the big gd deal? Gun nuts act like we're gonna send jack booted thugs to come raid your house.
  • Friday ... RTHTGak... 2013/02/03 16:49:11
    Friday - Just the Facts
    Well since no one is looking to "oppress" you or anyone else it appears your entire argument is built on a foundation of lies!
    NEXT!
  • Illumin... Friday ... 2013/02/15 17:07:54
    Illuminatti 37°
    Communists are looking to oppress you, they are doing it, are you so blind you do not see it? They are nibbliing away at your rights and freedoms, you call it reasonable, I call it erosin. How much erosin must take place before you become concerned?
  • Friday ... Illumin... 2013/02/15 17:09:21
    Friday - Just the Facts
    Your Tin Foil Hat is Too Tight!
  • SoD Friday ... 2013/03/23 17:06:11
    SoD
    Your screws are too loose.
  • illinoyed Friday ... 2013/02/07 20:48:24
    illinoyed
    +1
    LOL! So true! If the government, with all their aircraft, tanks and nuclear weapons wanted to "oppress" the people, guns aren't going to do much.
  • Illumin... illinoyed 2013/02/15 17:10:59
    Illuminatti 37°
    If that is the case, then why shouldn't the people have guns? Any gun they wish to own, since the government with their tanks, planes, and nukes can't be resisted?

That is a major problem with socialists, they have a habit of restricting the rights of everyone for the actions of a few, they punish all for the crimes of one. Then their leaders commit crimes and that is ignored. Socialism is not a good religion, nor is its alter ego: communism.
  • SoD Friday ... 2013/03/23 16:13:35
    SoD
    It appears your premise is that an armed populace can muster only a meager resistance to a tyrannical state with superior firepower, which is contradicted by the deposition of rulers in Libya and Egypt in the past two years.

My premise is that I would rather have the ability to muster a meager resistance than none at all.

Without an armed populace, the central government would need no bombs or heavy ordinance to oppress an entire nation. In such a case the state could send a dozen men in an APC armed with assault rifles and one machine gun to oppress an entire city. As things are now, these same 12 soldiers would be torn to ribbons. You should also consider that whatever tyrant is in power will be hesitant to deploy troops or drop bombs on his own soil, and he cannot deploy troops or drop bombs on all of his soil simultaneously.

Such a tyrant could cut phone lines, the internet and mobile service, but the word would still get out almost as it happened.

I hear there are these fellows called HAM radio operators who can transmit to anywhere in the world without any comm services provider holding their hands. RF infrastructure is created by God, not man.

How do I know these things?

I study history and current events. Oh yeah, I'm also one of those HAM radio operators. I have rig that ca...

How do I know these things?

I study history and current events. Oh yeah, I'm also one of those HAM radio operators. I have rig that can fit in a large piece of luggage that can reach out and touch someone about 2k miles away, given elevation and propagation are on my side. I can also attach it to my car without too much trouble.

The state had better mind it's P's and Q's and they know it. They are afraid and that is why they are trying to declaw us.
  • Sadierose Dobson 2013/02/01 23:55:22
    Sadierose Dobson
    +1
    If you live in northern Idaho. In all honesty history says it is not a bad idea, because the government has a habit of over stepping their bounds on occassion. If the G- man don't come knocking on my door it don't matter what I keep the gun for.
  • TheFast... Sadiero... 2013/02/02 01:18:13
    TheFasterGun
    Ruby Ridge will be avenged even more.
  • SW TheFast... 2013/02/03 16:28:56 (edited)
    SW
    How? are you gonna blow up another federal building with a daycare center in it and kill some more babies? That'll teach em.
  • TheFast... SW 2013/02/03 16:44:18
    TheFasterGun
    +1
    Try again.....your rhetoric has nothing to do with my comment
  • Illumin... SW 2013/02/15 17:12:48
    Illuminatti 37°
    The babies are already being murdered by the millions using legalized murder(abortion), even that is not enough to sate the blood lust of the Left.
  • Golden Panther 2013/02/01 23:49:03
    Golden Panther
    +2
    Absolutely, if the government and or rogue agents become tyrannical in their actions to destroy our rights and freedoms to perpetuate their own nefarious ambitions. The current batch in power really only want one thing...a total dystopian one world government.
  • scbluesman13 2013/02/01 23:06:43
    scbluesman13
    +1
    Government resistance won't come in the form of physical violence/force. It will come in the form of privacy rights protection, guarding what your children are taught in schools, and how you are allowed (or not allowed) to earn money. All of the laws we have in place that are there to regulate and "stabilize" a civil society are what are used as tools to also control society when a government feels it has to. Just look at what happened to our civil liberties with the passing of the Patriot Act after 9/11. How exactly can a citizen or group of citizens use guns to protect oneself from that?
  • Tim Barton 2013/02/01 22:14:43
    Tim Barton
    I'm glad this is closer than an absolue blow-out....but you 52% have aboslutly lost touch with reality, or have the narrowest view of US history and lost all ability to think critically. Washington and Jefforson called up the militia to put down popular rebellions, there is a treason clause in the constitution. Wouldn't taking up arms against the US be considered treason? A conservative interpritation of the constitution clearly answers this question. Only a liberal reading of the second amendment in the context of the constitution would lead anyone to the conclusion that it's purpouse is to allow for armed rebellion. You 'Yes' votes are the Liberals here....
  • Sadiero... Tim Barton 2013/02/02 00:04:20
    Sadierose Dobson
    +2
    It is not US history so much as world history that concerns me. Our country is headed down a path never invisioned by our founding fathers and that changes the game. Washington is out of control...the government is making decisions "in our best interest" no matter what the populace wants. While I would hate to think it might come to us against them, being the person I am, it's better to be safe then sorry.
  • Illumin... Tim Barton 2013/02/15 17:14:31
    Illuminatti 37°
    The treason is coming from the top down in America.
  • FatherLiberty 2013/02/01 21:48:06 (edited)
    FatherLiberty
    +5
    The ignorance of people in the media is shocking. Or is it not ignorance at all, but conscious subversion? "Gun owners truly have nothing to worry about. There are no federal commandos coming to break down their doors and take away their guns. Sure, there is an outside chance that a universal gun registration system will be approved by Congress..." THAT IS something to worry about. If the government knows who owns what, they know who to go after and with what amount of power. First comes registration, then comes confiscation. History people, history. Dont ignore it. Government has a natural tendency to turn corrupt and enslave and slaughter its own. THAT is the norm throughout history with almost NO exceptions. Democide (death by government) is the NO.1 cause of unnatural death. 290 million + have been killed by democide in the last century alone. Those are innocent victims executed at the hands of government, NOT war casaulties, etc.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - THOMAS JEFFERSON
  • Sadiero... FatherL... 2013/02/02 00:05:23
    Sadierose Dobson
    +1
    Thank you...well stated.
  • Stacy F 2013/02/01 21:32:55 (edited)
    Stacy F
    +4
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." - Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take up arms." - in a letter from Thomas Jefferson to James Madison

"The best we can help for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." - Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers, 184-8

"The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand arms, like laws, discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as property. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside … Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmo...

"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington, First President of the United States

theory of  DUH
  • TuringsChild 2013/02/01 20:09:12
    TuringsChild
    +4
    The Founding Fathers certainly believed it does. And anyone with a lick of sense can see that those without guns are easily rounded up. Just because the CURRENT situation isn't on the fine edge of revolution doesn't mean it will NEVER happen. We haven't NEEDED the 2nd Amendment in 2237 years. But if it wasn't there, we would have by now. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely, and today's politicians are jealous of the power that flows out of the barrels of American Citizen's guns.
  • Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA 2013/02/01 19:37:44
    Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA
    +5
    Let's ask these folks..

bhjhj
  • Hebsi Dogzebr... 2013/02/03 00:44:19
    Hebsi
    You're seriously comparing the US government with the Nazis? Just continuously proving how out of touch you Right Wing gun nuts are with the reality of today.
  • Dogzebr... Hebsi 2013/02/03 01:57:39
    Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA
    Who mentioned anything about Nazis dummy? You must be another one of those libertards with his head screwed on too tightly with crossed LH threads. But then of course, if this were GW's reign you'd be Nazi this and that 'til you grew hoarse.

2014/08/29 08:08:34