Do You Want America To Import Chicken From China?

zbacku 2013/11/11 19:19:02

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Chicken from China has officials on alert, including U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.)

As WCBS 880’s Jim Smith reported Sunday, Schumer said first, the U.S. Department of Agriculture only allowed chickens that had been processed in China to be sold in the U.S. Now, he said the USDA plans to green-light poultry raised and slaughtered in China

This has never happened before, and it is a bad idea, Schumer argued.

“China has a terrible record on health safety, and chickens are one of the things that need the most care and inspections,” he said.

Schumer called the plan a huge change in policy, and a big mistake.

“China has been a massive source of food poisoning here in America for years,” he said.

A step closer to final approval, Schumer said a USDA report to Congress indicated aspects of the Chinese slaughter system to be equivalent to that of the U.S.

“Why is the USDA doing it?” he said. “We just don’t know.”

In response to Schumer’s comments, the USDA said it is legally obligated to review requests from countries waiting to export, but it has not finalized its audit of China.

As to whether the Chinese poultry slaughter system is equivalent to that of the U.S., the USDA said categorically that it is not.

“USDA has not found China’s poultry slaughter system to be equivalent and therefore poultry slaughtered in China is not allowed to be imported to the United States,” the agency said in a statement. “The U.S. food supply is among the safest in the world, and the Food Safety and Inspection Service is dedicated to maintaining that status.”

Read More: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/11/10/schumer-chi...

• johnpar 2013/11/11 21:15:59
    No.
    johnpar
    +10
    Where there's a buck to be made there's a vote, right? I have a friend that spent 10 years living in China. He said to never buy "fresh" produce or meats from China - they often dip them in DDT so they will look "fresh" longer. Tilapia is raised in ponds that have chicken cages suspended over the ponds - the chicken excrement falls into the water and is consumed by the fish - free food. Cardboard and paper scraps swept up from the streets are washed and ground up to be mixed in with the dough for breads - roughage. Recently 600+ dogs have died from eating the dogie treats made in China. There is no way in Hell I would buy ANY food product from China! Contact the USDA and your "representatives" now and demand this insane policy be scrapped!

• Christine/Rest in peace Pet... 2013/11/26 03:08:04
    No.
    Christine/Rest in peace Peter Br
    With all the worries about one deadly flu after another coming from China, and spread through their poultry, no thanks. Earlier this year China had to kill thousands of chickens to prevent the spread of another outbreak. I don't want those chickens turning up here.
  • Captain-Morgan 2013/11/13 06:47:20
    No.
    Captain-Morgan
    +1
    MAY BE AS DOG FOOD ONLY... LET THEM KEEP THEIR CHICKEN, FISH, AND SEA FOODS.. BUY AMERICAN FOODS AND PRODUCE ONLY..
  • frank 2013/11/12 15:57:19
    No.
    frank
    +1
    NO! NO WAY in hell, they would have too high a level of lead just like the painted toys that we were importing from them.
  • brettw97 2013/11/12 15:05:00
    No.
    brettw97
    I don't want my cause of death to read, "tainted chinese chicken parm."
    No.
    HELL NO!

We can produce enough ourselves, can't we?
  • moknowsky 2013/11/12 08:27:43
    No.
    moknowsky
    +1
    Let them choke their chickens..
  • A Founding Father 2013/11/12 07:03:54
    No.
    A Founding Father
    +1
    We have enough problems of our own without importing contaminated meat from China. But, we import all sorts of things from even worse places, most every country in South America, Mexico, and all of Asia. We just don't know and perhaps don't want to know.

Many years ago I met a young man in Missouri whose family raised a few turkeys. They dumped the waste from the turkeys into the little river that bordered their farm. Soon they discovered the river was filled with big catfish, like really big catfish. So, the young man bought himself a used dozer and built some ponds, pumped the river water into the ponds and returned it after a bit, hatched even more turkeys, bought some catfish hatchlings. About ten years later his was the largest catfish farm in America, a huge success story of
    just doing what seemed necessary to make a living at the time. That was fifty years ago, almost to the month. Today? I don't know, but last time I flew over his farm there were dozens of the ponds. Probably worth $20 Million or more. Yes, there were also lots of what appeared to be turkey barns also. Yum, the two things seem to work together.
  • sbtbill 2013/11/12 06:29:09
    No.
    sbtbill
    +1
    We shouldn't import anything from China.
  • Lady Wh... sbtbill 2013/11/12 12:41:22
    Agreed!
  • Cat 2013/11/12 05:48:57
    No.
    Cat
    +2
    Almost every flu starts in chickens in China. LEAVE THEM THERE.
  • exhon2009 2013/11/12 05:39:19
    No.
    exhon2009
    The Chinese are so motivated by greed they would kill their customers to make an extra buck. That's why they shipped placebo pills rather than prescription grade pharmaceuticals and that's why they put melamine in pet food.
  • Mark Twain 2013/11/12 05:31:24
    What Say You?
    Mark Twain
    +1
    We imported a Jackass from Kenya,,,so why not chickens from China?
  • Mopvyzo 2013/11/12 05:11:44
    No.
    Mopvyzo
    +1
    Sounds contaminated.
  • fish 2013/11/12 03:19:48
    No.
    fish
    +2
    MMMMMMM.....Asian bird flu. Tastes like chicken.
  • James 2013/11/12 03:18:20
    No.
    James
    +1
    What does "cock-a-doodle-do" even sound like in Mandarin?
  • Peewee ~PWCM~ 2013/11/12 03:17:09
    No.
    Peewee ~PWCM~
    +1
    That's a real bummer. I love Subway, but I won't eat there if I think the meat came from China.
  • Timothy McVeigh 2013/11/12 02:50:43
  • Beagle Mom 2013/11/12 02:10:10
    No.
    Beagle Mom
    +4
    They have already poisoned our homes with their dry wall, our pets and our children's toys. Not just no, but hell no.
  • featherwood 2013/11/12 01:43:28
    No.
    featherwood
    +4
    FU*k NO! I don't really care for the little rats with wings, but I'll raise my own before I eat chicken from China!!!
  • Gregaj7 2013/11/12 01:22:59
    What Say You?
    International bankruptcies of municipal corporations can be a real pain.
  • ruru 2013/11/12 00:49:46
    No.
    ruru
    +3
    Oh hell no. It could be any thing. Cats, buzzards, or even human beings. Would not be safe to eat.
  • Yo'Adrienne..AFCL 2013/11/12 00:34:38 (edited)
    No.
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    +4
    The least of it is CHICKEN.......We should give them a list of BANNED items until they learn how to clean up their act, play fair, and quit trying to scam us.! Just because we owe them a kazillion dollars, doesn't make us stupid..................er...... nevermind!

(personally I would BAN CHUCKIE SCHUMER too)
  • Mark P. 2013/11/12 00:28:14
    No.
    Mark P.
    +4
    So they import more products that will make us sick or kill a few.
  • Russ Byford 2013/11/12 00:11:10
    Yes.
    Russ Byford
    If it's safe. It it meets minimum regulations for food hygiene and standards of care and so forth. It it's been safely refrigerated.
    Personally I would buy American reared chicken myself when I'm in the US, and British reared chicken when I am in Great Britain.
    But if we want to be serious and hold integrity about global trade, then I would say that it's not doing a free market approach a great deal of justice when you pick and choose, very selectively, the parts you want to abide by, and the parts you do not.

However, short-term at least, it would appear there are drawbacks, and these most certainly should be addressed.
  • Russ By... Russ By... 2013/11/12 00:13:25 (edited)
    Russ Byford
    And if you can verify this is in an open and transparent manner.
    Again at present, I would suspect that one would find significant draw backs about this.
  • Yo'Adri... Russ By... 2013/11/12 00:35:59
    Yo'Adrienne..AFCL
    +2
    Oh yes....for the sake of GLOBAL TRADE.....of course.
  • Russ By... Yo'Adri... 2013/11/12 00:44:19
    Russ Byford
    Well if it's conducted in a well considered and transparent manner, I do not see exactly what the issue is.
    So far as the economics go, I would somewhat suspect it be more efficient to rear and produce chicken in the United States, even if you could safely import it from China.
    I'm not entirely all too sure in what light you have made you're comment, but I would suggest if you support free trade and exchanging commerce, it's not making a compelling case picking and choosing.
  • zbacku Russ By... 2013/11/12 05:21:31
    zbacku
    You can import all the slime chicken you want for your country, but we'll pass.
  • Pamela 2013/11/12 00:10:49
    No.
    Pamela
    +4
    Absolutely not! sick chickens
  • Willl 2013/11/12 00:05:47
    No.
    Willl
    +3
    "“Why is the USDA doing it?” he (Sen. Schumer) said. “We just don’t know.”"
    Then let me, the nobody, who does not sit on the Capitol Hill, exercise this idea;
    Because China said it would stop and stopped buying the debt of the USA. When China did that, other nations started to be reluctant to do so as well. We have only Feds to by our debt, which will be called as "Printing Money" in the international community, thus giving credibility to calls, by China, to end Dollar dominancy as world currency, which will make the printers (the Fed) useless and bankrupt us the US.
    So, to please China, we will start destroying our farming, just as we almost destroyed our manufacturing. Damn Republicans. First they destroyed manufacturing under Clinton. Now they are at it again under Obama.
  • MsDianna 2013/11/11 23:41:09
    No.
    MsDianna
    +2
    no I don't want to eat chicken from China
  • redhorse29 2013/11/11 23:23:49
    No.
    redhorse29
    +7
    China is already killing or making our pets sick with their chicken products.
    China could care a fig if they shipped foul fowl to the USA.
  • Emster 2013/11/11 23:03:12
    No.
    Emster
    +4
    Heck to the NO!!! We are relying too heavily on other counties for our needs...
  • Lady Wh... Emster 2013/11/12 12:42:55
    +1
    No kidding! And they wonder WHY there are no jobs? How about....

"MADE IN AMERICA!"
  • Max 2013/11/11 22:38:33
    No.
    Max
    +5
    I sure won't eat anything that comes from China, especially chicken. I need to start checking where that chickens coming from, from now on. Thanks for the heads up.
  • dave b 2013/11/11 22:26:09 (edited)
    No.
    dave b
    +7
    I even quit giving my dog chicken jerky treats when I saw they were from China. Peoples pets have died or been sickened from this trash....now we need to find out what politicians are invested in the Chinese poultry industry.
  • Ron in Oregon 2013/11/11 22:11:13
    No.
    Ron in Oregon
    +3
    The Chinese have just purchased Smithfield Foods.
    That includes many brands that you now eat.

Smithfield  Smithfield  Smithfield
  • Warfinge 2013/11/11 22:05:55
    No.
    Warfinge
    +8
    Welcome to globalism. Kill the production domestically and import from another country. "Spreading the wealth" but not the way his voters expected eh? We are also selling coal and buying lead with China. Our largest Lead smelter is being put out of business by the EPA and we are making new coal fired power plants too prohibitively expensive to burn while we ship billions of tons to China. The carbon will be released just not by us. This administration is consistently lowering our quality of life while looking at the larger picture of world politics. So the chicken thing is just more of the same. We have no jobs for people and we are going to let our domestic markets compete with a foreign economy that traditionally has been willing to run sweat shops all over it's territory, working people for pennies per day. Thanks Obama voters.....
  • apachehellfire65 2013/11/11 22:00:07
    What Say You?
    apachehellfire65
    +1
    i don't know why we should even have to. but it's looking like another liberal false flag. as far a schumer goes. why did schumer cross the road? because his dick was stuck in a chicken! sex with a chicken
  • robinswebnest 2013/11/11 21:45:49
    No.
    robinswebnest
    +5
    Only fools undermine our economy by importing items WE ALREADY HAVE IN PLENTY! Oh, right, they are dems. Well, that explains everything,

2014/10/31 23:09:36