Do you truly believe this trip will cost $200 Mil per day?!

Tennyson James 2010/11/04 18:25:08
Yes! I believe it because I hate Obama and I want to believe it!
No! I am too smart to believe unsubstantiated propaganda!

Credibility no longer matters. Truth no longer matters.

And shame? Shame at being caught selling ridiculous falsehoods and lies? Hah!

Right-wing bloggers, media and politicians have seized on a report on an Indian Internet site, supposedly based on an anonymous estimate from an Indian government official, that President Obama will be spending $200 million a day on his India trip.

Now think about the impossibility of that. Two hundred million bucks a day? As Factcheck.org points out, the entire U.S. war effort in Afghanistan — where we have to arm, equip and provision roughly 100,000 troops in a hostile, barren environment — costs us $190 million a day. The claim is simply too ridiculous to be contemplated, let alone believed.

The absurdity quickly became fuel for the vast right-wing outrage machine. (My favorite part above is where the outraged host, the genius Eric Bolling, insists: “I will tell you unequivocably, I am not making this up, this has been reported, go to the Internet, go take a look.” Really, they gave this guy a microphone and TV time?)

Drudge picked it up. Sean Hannity jumped in on it. Rush Limbaugh has been spreading the meme. U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann went on CNN to condemn the expenditure. And the blogosphere? Oh the lunacy!

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. If you’re willing to believe that Obama is a Kenyan Marxist-fascist-anticolonialist black racist who hates America and plots its destruction, what won’t you believe.

But seriously people….

Read More: http://blogs.ajc.com/jay-bookman-blog/2010/11/04/o...

• mymoon 2010/11/04 19:03:18
    mymoon
    +3
    This is really sad how a story on the internet quoting some anonymous Indian public official is picked up by the right wing blogs and reported as fact. What is even more sad is how many people believe this really ridiculous story. Michelle Bachman even talked about it last night on the news. Crazy!

• Butch 2010/11/04 21:03:18
    Butch
    Possibly Indian rupees?
  • Tennyso... Butch 2010/11/05 01:10:26
    Tennyson James
    I actually wondered if there was something lost in the process of currency traslation and that's how the 42 Bil number came to be batted around. I haven't researched it myself tho.
  • Butch Tennyso... 2010/11/05 02:34:58
    Butch
    The Gov Accountability Agency web site might help. When a (ANY) President travels the cost is significant.
  • trentinafur 2010/11/04 20:44:10
    trentinafur
    +1
    The thing is....these people who are being fed and are eating this bowl of steaming crap not only want to believe it - but they simply don't have the brain capacity to even question whether or not it is feasible....as evidenced by the election/re-election of crap-spewers like Jan Brewer, Rand Paul, Marsha Blackburn, Steve King, Michelle Bachmann....
  • Tennyso... trentin... 2010/11/05 01:14:10
    Tennyson James
    I find it really sad to see how gullible people are and how easily they are led to believe - and embrace as fact - what are actually irrational lies. The irony is that these are the same people who are truly honestly afraid of socialism/communism yet they do not realise they are being used as pawns in this American propaganda machine. They even get angry when you try to point out the fallacies in an effort to help them understand and to prevent them from being taken advantage of in that way.
  • Zuggi 2010/11/04 19:27:10
    Zuggi
    But if it's on the internet, it's GOT to be true!
  • Tennyso... Zuggi 2010/11/05 01:16:14
    Tennyson James
    +1
    I wonder how many of the people who believe this are also still waiting for their Applebee's coupon and their free laptop from Bill gates. ;-)
  • Sick Boy 2010/11/04 19:11:30
    Sick Boy
    I think the whole entire trip might cost that!
  • mymoon 2010/11/04 19:03:18
    mymoon
    +3
  • Tennyso... mymoon 2010/11/04 19:12:44
    Tennyson James
    +1
    Yes! Not to mention the fact that if anyone would bother to really think about what has been reported then what stands out is the fact that 3000 people in 857 rooms means that they are bunking at about 4 to a room - which is actually pretty frugal travel for a U.S. presidential entourage.
  • ducdodger 2010/11/04 18:53:06
    ducdodger
    Lets see he is traveling with 3000 people not inculding his security detactment, 34 naval ships and the planes and cars to transport the people. Yeah I believe this trip is tahe expensive.
  • Not stupid ducdodger 2010/11/04 19:00:58
    Not stupid
    +1
    You think he can get 3000 people on Air Force 1? :)

The whole story is from an anonymous source quoted on an Indian website.

I have some Oceanfront property in Arizona you might be interested in....
  • ducdodger Not stupid 2010/11/04 19:05:05
    ducdodger
    No they have about 40 planes. Its no differant than the numerous leak you read from the times or Washington post. As far as believing what has been said. I would not put it past Obama and his wife to do it. The are just like Marie Antoinette and King louis XVI in the way they think.
  • Not stupid ducdodger 2010/11/04 19:11:49
    Not stupid
    Good for you...

I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn, NY. Cheap!!! ... If it helps you decide, it would make Obama sad if you bought it.
  • ducdodger Not stupid 2010/11/04 19:14:46
    ducdodger
    I wouldnt buy property there taxes are to high. Even if it doesn't cost that much and only costs a third of 200 billion that is still unacceptable when this country is almost broke.
  • Not stupid ducdodger 2010/11/04 19:31:01
    Not stupid
    You know that property taxes are state and local government's taxes and have absolutely nothing to do with Barak Obama, right?
  • ducdodger Not stupid 2010/11/04 19:33:20
    ducdodger
    Really, I didn't know that. Of course I do, I own a house and two cars.
  • Tennyso... ducdodger 2010/11/04 19:16:04
    Tennyson James
    What exactly were the philosophies of Antoinette & King Louis? I honestly do not know.
  • ducdodger Tennyso... 2010/11/04 19:18:43
    ducdodger
    In a nut shell spend spend and spend some more no matter how bad the financial woes.
  • Tennyso... ducdodger 2010/11/04 19:31:29
    Tennyson James
    So are you saying that b/c of the flailing U.S. economy the President should cease all foreign relations endeavours? You do realise that foreign relations are a very large and important part of teh president's job, right?
  • ducdodger Tennyso... 2010/11/04 19:35:13 (edited)
    ducdodger
    No I'm saying stop spending so much on BS trips. Obama said he wanted to go so he could see the festival of lights. Thats a far cry from a diplomatic necessity.
  • Tennyso... ducdodger 2010/11/04 19:43:59 (edited)
    Tennyson James
    it's not a BS trip. He's going b/c the American government would like to strengthen science and technology ties between the US and India, as both countries have put forth great effort to spur innovation and towards research in these fields. It has been reported that the Obama administration feels that the two countries have a common aim with regards to this sector and also that he intends to nominate an Indian American engineering graduate to head up the US National Science Foundation.
  • ducdodger Tennyso... 2010/11/05 14:53:13
    ducdodger
    If this trip was so important then he would wouldn't have canceled it three time prior to this. And again I say this is a BS trip it its to nominate some one to a foundation.
  • gfreeman BN-0 2010/11/04 18:44:57
    gfreeman BN-0
    +1
    I am smart.
    smart
  • Tennyso... gfreema... 2010/11/04 19:16:26
    Tennyson James
    +1
    Smart is good!
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2010/11/04 18:31:17 (edited)
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +3
    http://www.snopes.com/politic...
    Right-wing lies continue. I say F-them.
  • ducdodger ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2010/11/04 18:55:12 (edited)
    ducdodger
    Well I don't know why Snopes even has it at that amount. Prove the amount wrong.
  • Tennyso... ducdodger 2010/11/04 19:07:27
    Tennyson James
    +1
    The origin of that number was an unnamed "Indian Official" quoted in an Indian newspaper. First off, the Government of India would have no idea of the trip expense for the U.S. president. Secondly, if you consider the fact that the entire cost of the war in Afganistan is less than 2 mil per day then it's hard not to see the ridiculousness of such a number applying to this trip.
  • ducdodger Tennyso... 2010/11/04 19:10:50
    ducdodger
    well lets see on his last excursion it cost the us 66,000 a day just for his staff. Air force one costs 57,000 and hour. That doesn't take into account the other planes carrying his car and two Marie choppers. I still happen to have friend in the army and navy all of which have confirmed that at least 30 naval ships are headed to that area.
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ ducdodger 2010/11/04 19:19:07
  • ducdodger ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2010/11/04 19:21:16
    ducdodger
    And your point is. Bush's personnel is half of what travels with Michelle. I never said that a president traveled light.
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ ducdodger 2010/11/04 20:32:17
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    Now you're just lying. Predictable for a fright winger.
  • Tennyso... ducdodger 2010/11/04 19:38:26
    Tennyson James
    If you have friends in the military who are privy to the security details of the President's military travel security then I find the fact that they are sharing such information with civilians to be far more troubling than the cost of the Presiden't foreign relations trip.
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ ducdodger 2010/11/04 19:18:35
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    You made the claim, you prove it will cost that much.
  • ducdodger ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2010/11/04 19:26:51 (edited)
    ducdodger
    It costs 57,000 an hour just to fly Air Force one plus at least two more planes just to carry his vehicles and two marie choppers, thats at least 114,000 an hour. 66,000 a day for his staff, at least 70,000 per day for security detail at just 250 people that would be 1.75 million a day alone. for 10 days that would be 17. 5 million. It goes on from there. none of that include rooms, food and other incidental supplies.
  • Tennyso... ducdodger 2010/11/04 19:36:26
    Tennyson James
    I'm not saying your figures are incorrect, but would like to see a source for those amounts b/c the White House does not usually release such figures regarding presidential travel.
  • ducdodger Tennyso... 2010/11/04 19:39:03 (edited)
    ducdodger
    the costs are not classified they are out there all you have to do is look. I looked up pay scale for secret service officers and typical staff costs. Air force ones operation costs are also out there.
  • Tennyso... ducdodger 2010/11/04 19:45:12
    Tennyson James
    Please post links. Thanks!

2014/04/18 13:23:51