Do you think welfare recipients should have to pass a drug test to receive their tax-payer supported welfare check?

Rocker6240 2012/06/12 07:10:35
I work in an Industry that requires passing a drug test on a random basis and at the time of being hired. It's only fair they pass a drug test to receive a welfare check , if I got to pass one to give it to them.

• George 2012/06/12 10:04:49
    YES
    George
    +19
    Any person on this poll that does not support this is either NOT paying into the system OR is a doper living off the system.
    Common sense dictates if your a taxpayer paying for this with your hard earned money you simply cant have a problem with wanting to see its not misused or abused and those that benifit are held accountable.
    It really is that simple and clear.

• Faith ~... Live Fr... 2012/06/14 22:09:02
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    Lmao, I would feel sorry for you if you weren't so fun to laugh at.
  • Live Fr... Faith ~... 2012/06/14 22:45:56
    Live Free Or Die
    Your proposition to randomly drug test ALL the people applying for ALL benefits under ALL circumstances does not fly in the face of the laws already on the books, and you can't stand it. So I feel sorry for you because you're letting it eat you up. So sad.
  • Faith ~... Live Fr... 2012/06/15 05:03:46
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    Hahaha, you lack of understanding of the law is embarrassing. No wonder you're not married
  • Live Fr... Faith ~... 2012/06/15 15:13:26
    Live Free Or Die
    Look, I may have been wrong about some of the things you said, but you were disjointed and all over the place. The only thing you have been consistent on is that all people applying for any benefits under any circumstances should be randomly drug tested and test negative in order to receive those benefits. Without probable cause, it flies in the face of existing laws on the books. I know you don't like that, but it doesn't change the facts.

Resorting to personal insults doesn't make you right. It's sad that you do that to people with whom you disagree. It's plain as day and everyone can see it, except you.
  • Faith ~... Live Fr... 2012/06/15 15:26:55
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    There was no personal insult, I stated a fact. But hey, I wouldn't expect you to understand that. As I said, your lack of understanding of the law is embarrassing. And as I've ALSO already said, there is no need for probable cause as no one is being forced to take the test. I've wasted days now attempting to dumb everything down for you, and it's obviously just too much for your simple little brain to comprehend.
  • Live Fr... Faith ~... 2012/06/15 15:37:46
    Live Free Or Die
    Your demeanor was to get angry and talk down to me (just like now) when I did not understand that you meant all people under any circumstances, applying for any benefit should be randomly drug tested without probable cause.

You assume that no harm would come of this broad brush approach and that no existing laws would be broken in order to fulfill it.

Again, insulting me (as you are now) does not make you right. But more than that, it stifles any meeting of the minds, growth and learning. That is your own fault.
  • Live Fr... Faith ~... 2012/06/14 21:10:27
    Live Free Or Die
    By the way, I'm done here. Have the last word. Knock yourself out.
  • newhon63 Live Fr... 2012/06/14 02:51:45
    newhon63
    I think your questions have been answered. You seem to think that those who are on assistance are entitled to live as working people do but all on the public dime. It's okay for them to drink like they deserve some recreation after a long day of sitting on the porch or sitting in front of the TV. And so someone brought a joint over and smoked it with the person, the they were tested and it came up positive for drug use, it was just one joint. They didn't buy it themselves.

All this makes it okay? Of course it doesn't. One joint is just as illegal as 20. Buying alcohol on the public dime is unacceptable. I agree with the assertion that a Welfare person has no business buying booze. If they have time to party, they have time to get up in the morning, get some breakfast, shower up, put on some decent clothes and go job hunting instead.

I can read your mind from here. You are going to say "There are no jobs out there to be had." I say" There were jobs out there 10 years ago when the economy was still good and these same people were out on their porches, 40 .oz in hand, drinking and smoking up a storm, laughing at all the people driving off to work because they knew that they had no intention of joining the work force and contributing."
  • Live Fr... newhon63 2012/06/14 03:01:36
    Live Free Or Die
    +1
    No, they haven't been answered at all. You are assuming a lot here about what I think. If my questions had been answered, well that would be nice. They were not.

You all seem to be talking about able-bodied people without dependents who can work. I would question why they would get welfare at all, unless it was strictly temporary.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... Live Fr... 2012/06/14 05:26:17
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    Exactly, the ones who are 'between jobs' infrequently are not my concern, just the CAREER layabouts. Judge by the RECORD, not tar with a wide brush.
  • Live Fr... ⚥Κόζμω ... 2012/06/14 12:43:20
    Live Free Or Die
    +1
    Yes, I do agree with your points.
  • Faith ~... Live Fr... 2012/06/14 15:17:16
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    Most people have dependents.
  • Live Fr... Faith ~... 2012/06/14 15:31:10
    Live Free Or Die
    I tend to doubt that this is the majority, but even if it were you'd give welfare to the elderly, but starve a baby. That is why I asked you WHICH people you think should be tested, but you apparently are incapable of answering.
  • Faith ~... Live Fr... 2012/06/14 16:11:58
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    Starve a baby? Not so much. I have answered multiple times. ALL PEOPLE. YOUNG, OLD, IT DOESN'T MATTER. Seriously, you should ask for a refund from whatever "college" you went to.
  • Live Fr... Faith ~... 2012/06/14 16:30:15 (edited)
    Live Free Or Die
    I graduated with a B average and a Bachelor's of Science from one of the top colleges in the country and put myself through school. No help or living at home for me. What's your claim to fame? It seems to me that you are projecting your own poor debating skills and academic inadequacies onto me.

You did say ALL PEOPLE, and that would include not only the babies, but the paralyzed, the chronically sick, elderly, ALL.

I disagree with you, of course, and I'm not sure what good testing them all would do or what your intention is behind it. But I will say this: Most work and pay into the system and when they need help, they are not "freeloaders" as you call them, not all of them. Just remember, one day it could be you as full of yourself as you are now. I just thought I'd point that out.
  • Faith ~... Live Fr... 2012/06/14 17:26:29
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    Lmao, sure you did. You should ask for a refund. I paid my way through college, and grad school. You wouldn't know debate skills if they slapped you in the face. You're just upset because even the simplest of concepts is beyond your realm of understanding. If you're going to test one, you have to test all, otherwise it would inevitable lead to discrimination. Babies would not be tested as they are not the ones applying for assistance, their parents are. And no, it won't be me. My family could stop working today and we'd be just fine.
  • Live Fr... Faith ~... 2012/06/14 18:33:46
    Live Free Or Die
    You hit the nail on the head. Your "simple concepts" are just that, simple. I understand it's the parents and not the children that would be drug tested. I asked you a series of questions or made comments that you were unable to address, specifically.

Your reference is ALL people, so in your simple mind they're all freeloaders in need of random drug testing.

I asked you what you'd do with them all once you got the results positive, but you don't even know who or what you would apply that to, nor in which manner. You were quite simply, not able to answer.....Now, you project that onto me.

Laughable. If you went to grad school, it must have been for basket weaving, as your ability to answer pointed questions is extremely lacking. You say you'll never have to worry, but life is full of twists and turns. As arrogant as you are, I wouldn't want to see that happen, but it might if we're all very lucky teach you an ounce of humility.
  • Faith ~... Live Fr... 2012/06/14 20:59:40
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    Holy crap, do you just sit on your computer all day? What a sad life that must be. I've answered all of your questions, and even when the answered are dumbed down for you, you STILL don't understand. A child has a higher comprehension level than you do. I've already got a 5-year-old to explain things to, to continually try to do it with an adult is a waste of my time. If you can't understand it by now, you never will.
  • Live Fr... Faith ~... 2012/06/14 21:05:27
    Live Free Or Die
    Then stop answering me if it's such a waste of time......
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... Faith ~... 2012/06/14 05:16:58 (edited)
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    What about someone on medical cannabis? I'd focus on the ones with records of trouble rather than the ones who behave. Also, alcohol is LEGAL, so it's unfair to the ones who have an odd pint (like anybody else), Focus your ire on the ones who have chronic problems &/or neglect dependents. Generalizing on this is DANGEROUS PSYCHOLOGY.

Also, if you imbibe yourself, it's HYOPOCRICY, you can't have a double standard on morals.
  • Faith ~... ⚥Κόζμω ... 2012/06/14 06:18:24
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    If they have a prescription, fine. Unfair? Not at all. They want to live off of others and get free money. If they have money for alcohol, they certainly have enough money to feed themselves, they just need to get their priorities straight. They aren't like "anybody else", "anybody else" earns their own money and doesn't live off of others. It's not hypocrisy at all. I work for my money, I can do what I want with it. They TAKE my money. Big difference there.
  • newhon63 Live Fr... 2012/06/14 01:59:55
    newhon63
    +1
    You start by reviewing why former workers of any branch of government is getting subsidies. They used to work for the government. Why don't they still work for them? If they retired from Civil Service then they are getting a pension. We all have to make it on whatever we had the foresight to do for ourselves in our golden years. If they were too stupid to make sure they would have enough to live, that is not the fault of the taxpayer. Then you look at the retirement a government employee will get and cut it back if it is excessive. There is no need for a government employee to knock down 2 1/2 times their salary for shuffling papers for the Welfare office if after all these years it shows that they were incompetent doing it. That's a public employee union demanding the government give something for nothing.

Drug testing for those on Welfare is a sound idea since there is so much abuse of a system that was meant only to give a leg up to help get over a hurdle and rise passed it, not purposely stay down and be taken care of from birth to death. Drg testing would root out those who really need it and those who are nothing more than druggies, scammers and baby factories with so many children the woman doesn't even remember who any of their fathers are.
  • Live Fr... newhon63 2012/06/14 03:08:40
    Live Free Or Die
    if a person is disabled, wheelchair bound, mentally or physically incapacitated, chronically ill, or elderly and cannot work, then no amount of drug testing is going to change that.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... Live Fr... 2012/06/14 05:34:18
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    I'd do some weighing if it was their LIFESTYLE that put them in that situation rather than something that was congenital or unforseen. The ones who 'did it to themselves' should be granted less privileges than those who can't help it.
  • Live Fr... ⚥Κόζμω ... 2012/06/14 12:45:36
    Live Free Or Die
    Well, I don't know about that because accidental (doing something stupid or thoughtless) and being born still have the same result. I'd rather have my legs than a check (I think most people would). I don't like the ones who get on disability when there is nothing wrong with them. I've seen many that said they were depressed and got a check, that's wrong. It happens all the time in my state and it's sickening.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... Live Fr... 2012/06/16 19:06:41 (edited)
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +1
    I'm on Disability for a genuine problem (Autism) and had to go through several rounds of Testing to get a "Multiple Barriers to Gainful Employment" rating.

But at least I'm not "milkin' the system", Not causing any Crime or Disruption nor constantly begging for Crisis Grants because I've I pissed away rent.

Right now I'm trying to return what I took by volunteering 8-12 hours a week at a half -dozen local churches. Hopefully I can find some work by being a peer support worker & maybe getting some freelance jobs (declared of course) from the couple hundred brethren that know me.

I encourage volunteer work, some years ago when I was doing full time at a Food Bank warehouse, it gave me the confidence to land a paying at another factory which I held for three years before being dismissed when the shop went union.

I'm not sittin' idle.
  • Live Fr... ⚥Κόζμω ... 2012/06/17 01:42:08
    Live Free Or Die
    +1
    No, you're not at all, I see. That's great what you're doing and it could get you some paid work down the road. I don't know much about autism, having only met a couple of people each with varying degrees. I have known people who have depression so severe (bipolar, major depression with psychosis) who couldn't work because of it, or limited work. Then I knew a couple who weren't anymore depressed than most people or the average person; I believe they were situationally depressed, but got hooked into the system. So I hope I didn't come off as judgmental.
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... Live Fr... 2012/06/17 07:09:33
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    Not at all. But, as mentioned above, if those who can do some work were to do modest amounts of (meaningful) volunteer work, they would likely gain some confidence (As I've have) and find some (even part-time) work far better than sessile couch potatoes.
    "a rolling stone gathers no moss"
  • Live Fr... ⚥Κόζμω ... 2012/06/17 12:46:50
    Live Free Or Die
    +1
    I agree with you 100% for all the reasons you stated.

....
  • Mr. Smith 2012/06/13 16:17:26
    YES
    Mr. Smith
    +4
    And the politicians who give away the tax-payer money to the welfare recipients should also have to pass a drug test!
  • Captain-Morgan 2012/06/13 15:54:50
    YES
    Captain-Morgan
    +3
    If I have to pass a drug test to get a job.. Why shouldn't they have to pass a drug test to get our tax dollars in welfare and food stamps.. Crack is not a diet food...
  • Ray Senior 2012/06/13 15:14:43
    NO
    Ray Senior
    +2
    If they've shown signs of a drug problem, yes, but you can't defy the constitution. Guess who pays for the drug testing and everyone knows how to beat the test....it's a joke. Most welfare recipients are legit and I won't insult them even more because.of a few abusers. If you want to weed out the bad people, overhaul the entire system.
  • Captain... Ray Senior 2012/06/13 16:00:54
    Captain-Morgan
    +1
    That's the whole point.. WEED OUT... The Bad Ones.. How else should we do that?
  • ⚥Κόζμω ... Captain... 2012/06/14 05:37:16
    ⚥Κόζμω Græme اليا Mongrain
    +2
    MERIT·ocracy, judge & treat each one on their RECORD. Most decent folks are only on the system transiently, go after the truly indolent.
  • Captain... ⚥Κόζμω ... 2012/06/14 14:26:15
    Captain-Morgan
    +1
    Your right... Only maybe 10 % to 15 % of welfare is wasted on drug users.. Still have to check who is, and who is not a user. If I have to take a test to get a job and keep it. Why not do the same to get welfare..?
  • Faith ~... Ray Senior 2012/06/13 16:37:16
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    +3
    Drug testing welfare recipients is not a constitutional violation.
  • Cleaver62 Faith ~... 2012/06/13 19:10:03
    Cleaver62
    +1
    How is it not a violation of innocent until proven guilty? You are drug testing people with that idea that they are using drugs. They are not cleared until they are proven innocent. I think that is very very wrong. And if they have to, should all elected officials. They are taking my tax money too and not always doing the things I want them to do.
  • Faith ~... Cleaver62 2012/06/13 21:18:57
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    +2
    They aren't charged with something, there is no presumption of innocence or guilt. Aside from the fact that innocent until proven guilty is not guaranteed by the constitution. If I have to take a drug test to EARN money, they should have to take one to take what I have earned for nothing.
  • newhon63 Faith ~... 2012/06/14 03:15:29
    newhon63
    +2
    I don't think it is either. These people have surrendered in life. They have said, not in so many words " I can't or don't want to take care of myself. I want someone else to do it for me.' Until they get off the assistance, they are wards of the State as such they are subject to the rules and regulations as set out or passed by State government, which in turn is dictated by the people of that state through the election process.

As the saying goes "if you don't like your circumstances. Change it."
  • Faith ~... newhon63 2012/06/14 03:26:39
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    +1
    Very well said

2014/08/23 01:42:56