Do you think War's now days win...??

Mike 2012/09/17 01:18:47
With all the smart bombs that are used and all the laser beam missels...and all the technology that we have against each other now in our battles.....do you really think we will win...??.....or do you think its a draw...??...Either way....WE ALL LOOSE.!!!
in 1983 I remember seeing this movie.....and the computer got it right back in 1983...how come our computers can't get it right now...???.....We're in Afghanistan....Iraq....we' have killed Osama in Pakistan....we talked about Syria....now we're talking of IRAN...and Lybia..and Egypt....I mean...wouldn't the logical choice be....hey...don't play the game...??....I mean we can't afford literally anymore wars....

I have like others as well....family members scattered all over the world in the US army..air force...navy and marines....sorry cost guard...don't have any relatives in it.....BUT they want to come home....they are fighting a war in Afghanistan and they don't understand why they are fighting these people....raiding people's homes to just question the father of the family...in a very demoralized state of action......I have family members that have been at the German base for 15 years.....his son considers himself to be German...then American......it's crazy.....We should end it all....bring our troops home.....to me the statement still stands as it did in 1983.....the only way to win at war...is ...don't play.......what do you think...??

• JackSchitt 2012/09/17 05:40:57
    JackSchitt
    +2
    To "win" a war you have to be ruthless and do whatever is necessary to pound an enemy into submission - to crush them so completely that they lose the will to fight. Ever since Hiroshima the US has been afraid to use too much force - so we use "barely" enough force to combat an enemy, virtually insuring that they will again be a threat shortly after we leave.

Part of that stems from going into wars so lightly. If the world (and many U.S. citizens) feel that we have no business even BEING there, then there is no way our politicians will have the spine to allow the military to "bomb them back to the stone age". So with the world scrutinizing every step we take, we send our boys out there "nation building" and apologize profusely for every civilian casualty.

They need to decide: if you're not willing to to use the force necessary to win, then you have no business getting involved in a war. Fight to win or stay home.
  • Mike JackSchitt 2012/10/08 20:47:14
    Good point.....I would be afraid to be a part of those wars honestly....
  • JackSchitt Mike 2012/10/08 22:49:53
    JackSchitt
    For me it would be the other way around. After all the talks I've had with my uncle (Vietnam vet), I don't think I could tolerate all of the Rules of Engagement these kids now have to deal with. With each war it gets more restrictive. Have you seen some of the examples of ROE cards distributed to our boys? It's unbelievable.

http://www.globalsecurity.org...
    http://news.lawreader.com/200...

They have to walk around on eggshells and they never know when they will be attacked. I think it would be liberating (in a way) to fight an enemy who wears a UNIFORM and to hear from your commander: "do whatever it takes to wipe these bastards out".
  • Denny 2012/09/17 03:15:07
    Denny
    That's a wonderful plan. But what do you do with others that want to play??? Since the 60's we have been using Arab Oil and paying billions for it. Are the people even a little bit less poor??? What are they looking for us for? Is it perhaps they haven't figured out the someone else has all of our wasted money?? Anyone want to go over and drop the dime???
  • burningsnowman 2012/09/17 02:42:27 (edited)
    burningsnowman
    +1
    The goal isn't even to win it's to maximize profit for a few companies. Why do you think Afghanistan has lasted this long? How about Vietnam when the US was still stuck there? Follow the money.
  • Tee Quake 2012/09/17 02:40:05 (edited)
    Tee Quake
    There’s a reason why the United States built (and usually maintains) incredibly strong military capabilities, overwhelming power is the only thing our enemies respect. So, on the next 9-11-like, attack, or far worse, we just say "we don't want to play“? It's not a very realistic sentiment. It seems the only way “not to play”, would be to accept becoming prisoners of another country: China, Russia, or an Islamic regime. The key would be getting every potential enemy to concurrently agree that they “don't want to play”, either. I mean, you can try, Lord knows people have been trying since time immemorial. I think human defects will always produce someone, somewhere, who DOES want to "play" and will see the "I don't want to play" movement as an ideal cover to mount an attack. Humans have always sought power over their fellows, at least, that seems to be our history. This character defect has landed us in the horrendous, mutual elimination, nuclear stand-off. Worse, now there’s the possibility that theocratic tyrannies, like Iran, will get nukes with leaders who may view using nukes, to wipe-out non-Muslims, like a "religious duty". Ahmadinejad and others have practicably said as much! I think that only God can achieve what you are advocating, and I don't think the current human p...
    There’s a reason why the United States built (and usually maintains) incredibly strong military capabilities, overwhelming power is the only thing our enemies respect. So, on the next 9-11-like, attack, or far worse, we just say "we don't want to play“? It's not a very realistic sentiment. It seems the only way “not to play”, would be to accept becoming prisoners of another country: China, Russia, or an Islamic regime. The key would be getting every potential enemy to concurrently agree that they “don't want to play”, either. I mean, you can try, Lord knows people have been trying since time immemorial. I think human defects will always produce someone, somewhere, who DOES want to "play" and will see the "I don't want to play" movement as an ideal cover to mount an attack. Humans have always sought power over their fellows, at least, that seems to be our history. This character defect has landed us in the horrendous, mutual elimination, nuclear stand-off. Worse, now there’s the possibility that theocratic tyrannies, like Iran, will get nukes with leaders who may view using nukes, to wipe-out non-Muslims, like a "religious duty". Ahmadinejad and others have practicably said as much! I think that only God can achieve what you are advocating, and I don't think the current human population has done anything which would warrant divine intervention. As far as your relatives in the military and all our fighting men and women in the Mid East and North Africa, I hope we do bring them home. As it stands, today, our government has dropped them into a veritable hornet's nest, and then placed ridiculous rules of (non)engagement upon them, which hinders their ability to fight and destroys their morale.
  • James 2012/09/17 02:04:29
    James
    +1
    You could have the best military in the world but it's nothing against highly focused ragtag army of guerrillas.
  • Mike James 2012/09/17 02:13:46
    +1
    your right james.....
  • OGMGS1 2012/09/17 01:59:12 (edited)
    OGMGS1
    The only war we "won" this century or in recent history is the Libyan war. It was a conventional war against a semi-capable enemy (Gaddafi forces). Although the Libyan war wasn't "our victory", we were still on the winning side of the majority.

That being said, we should only fight when there's justication and where we are welcomed (Libya, Afghanistan, Syria). There is no such thing as "not playing the game" in situations like those. Inaction is a form of oppression too. Keep that in mind.
  • Mike OGMGS1 2012/09/17 02:15:57
    +1
    I'm not saying no wars ever......no if USA was attacked on our land...and we felt threatend for our security and freedom...then yes we attack back.....but this business of being the world police....we don't have the money for it.....and what other country is doing this...???...UK helped in Afghanistan and Iraq.....will they do the same...you know Canada won't....South America.....I never heard of them assisting in any wars....
  • OGMGS1 Mike 2012/09/17 23:24:26
    OGMGS1
    +1
    Canada participated in the Libya intervention, and has lost a ton of soldiers in Afghanistan. They stayed out of Iraq and Vietnam because they have what is called a decent foreign policy. Brazil participated in Iraq, by the way.
  • Razoreye001 2012/09/17 01:33:56 (edited)
    Razoreye001
    +1
    We can win wars if their organized efficiently and effectively, I could imagine a scenario in which America could have completely destroyed all our enemies in the middle east within four years. A better question should be however is the cost worth the reward?
  • Mike Razorey... 2012/09/17 02:13:29
    +1
    very true statement....
  • draconiaregina 2012/09/17 01:29:05
    draconiaregina
    +1
    Do, You, Want, To, Play, A, Game?
    The movie War Games.
    I've seen that movie too, No winners, we ALL lose.
  • Mike draconi... 2012/09/17 01:30:51
    I saw it in full just the other night on TV......it is a great lesson that I wish our candidates would listen too....
  • Nameless 2012/09/17 01:22:34
    Nameless
    +2
    We all lose. Every single one of us... lose.
  • Mike Nameless 2012/09/17 01:26:21
    +1
    your right....

2014/09/21 22:19:47