Do you think voting for a third party candidate is a wasted vote?

den 2012/02/27 11:51:16
Related Topics: Party, Candidate, Vote, Voting
unless he has a real chance to win, yes

• Fef 2012/02/27 20:08:12
    yes,because
    Fef
    +6
    Ross Perot
    Ralph Nader
    and many others have failed to win and nobody has created a viable 3rd party because of the votes they accumulated.

Third Party voting hurts the candidate you want to win of the two major parties.

But, please go ahead and write-in Ron Paul instead of President Obama

• skroehr 2012/02/29 03:23:51
    undecided/coments
    skroehr
    +1
    I'm in flux on this one. In the last election, I voted for Chuck Baldwin, who was a Christian conservative candidate running for the Constitution party. I justified it, (right here on Sodahead, in fact), on the basis that the Republican ticket (McCain/Palin) was going to be just awful, and so was the Obama/Biden ticket. It was a lose - lose situation in my opinion. In hind sight, seeing just HOW bad the Obama thing has worked out, I feel sad. However, the other part of my justification was that it takes pioneers in voting if we are ever to change our world from this 2 party system in which no matter how much we're divided as people, doesn't seem to change for the better no matter who is in office. If we always do what we always did, we'll always get what we've always gotten. I didn't think that Baldwin would be elected, but I felt that if people didn't start voting for guys like him, we're going to be eternally in this Dem/Republican rut where neither of these parties as a whole seems to provide persons who represent the values that brought about each of their parties to begin with.

Having said all that, I believe that the country is in a real fix right now, and it's probably important to vote for a Republican president. Not because I believe they'll make a hugely pos...

Having said all that, I believe that the country is in a real fix right now, and it's probably important to vote for a Republican president. Not because I believe they'll make a hugely positive impact on any of the problems we face economically, because neither party has control over human greed. The big thing is to restore the balance of power. The Supreme Court may have two slots filled under the next president, and since our country seems to keep turning to the judicial branch to legislate, it's very important to have a conservative and constitutionally sound bench. Many deeply important issues which will determine whether or not we become a soviet style socialist state will be brought before the court over the next decade as the foundation of the Constitution is tested in ever manner by Marxists anxious to put the whole thing to bed, and go to a UN type of "human constitution", which will forever change the sovereign nature of the United States. So, the time to prove a point about the two party system is past for the time being. Once there is a nominally conservative administration, we can turn to protest votes. As for me and my family, and most everyone I know, including those who voted for Obama last time, are voting for the Republican nominee this time around. Would I rather that the nominee was more like Santorum and less like Romney? Well yes, but that's personal opinion from a person who shares Rick Santorum's world view on virtually everything. But if Romney is the nominee, well then so be it. At least he's not McCain. He is somewhat conservative. He will appoint conservative judges, and he will campaign for a conservative congress. He'll appeal to the Reagan Democrats who will hold this particular election in their hands.

Just my 2 cents.

Peace,

Steven
  • Brian Tristan MacQuillan 2012/02/28 06:48:30
    yes,because
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    +1
    For the best that can be expected form a third party candidiate, please see the Presidential Election of 1992, and specifically the candidacy of Ross Perot. Enough said.
  • FairLady 2012/02/28 04:20:02
    yes,because
    FairLady
    +1
    No chance to win.
  • Batman 2012/02/27 22:51:49
    no, because
    Batman
    +1
    three reasons

#1 you are sending a message to the two party system that you are fed up with their dishonest practices

#2 if everyone who said "voting for a third party is a wasted vote" actually did vote for a third party, you'd see an independent win the election.

#3 once a third party reaches a certain critical mass, the floods gates will open up as sheeple will seriously consider it.
  • Murph 2012/02/27 22:05:08
    yes,because
    Murph
    +1
    It's worse than that because anything that splits the Republican vote is another vote for Obama.
  • Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm... 2012/02/27 20:14:13
    undecided/coments
    Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm♥☮♥∞
    +1
    I don't think so.... but I know alot of people who do...
    I say lean with it' rock with it'
    lean with it
    undecided/coments
    +2
    Yes and no - depends on the most viable person that the votes would be taken away from
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2012/02/27 20:11:15
    yes,because
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +3
    That's already proven and we were stuck with a Progressive lying Democrat. So you bet it is. A vote for a third party (unless you are a democrat voting for Obama ) is a vote for the traitor in chief.
  • Fef 2012/02/27 20:08:12
    yes,because
    Fef
    +6
    Ross Perot
    Ralph Nader

• FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX 2012/02/27 14:45:42 (edited)
    yes,because
    FAWKES' NOOSE ~ ΔTX
    +1
    A 3rd Party reduces the minimum Percent-to-Win from 50.1% to 33.4%. Failed math, huh.
  • ✞Knight of Honor 2012/02/27 13:55:09
    yes,because
    ✞Knight of Honor
    +4
    No 3rd party candidate has ever won. Even Theodore Roosevelt lost under the Bull Moose Party.
  • carolynb 2012/02/27 13:23:42
    yes,because
    carolynb
    +3
    Third party candidates will never win, and it takes away from the candidate that deserves to win. I reallly like Roehmer but I will not vote for him because it may help Romney win and I am not going to chance it.
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2012/02/27 12:03:31
  • den Chris -... 2012/02/27 12:30:21
    den
    +1
    there are two sides to everything but tell me if you vote for someone who gets less than 1% of the vote --tell me EXACTLY -what did you accomplish?
  • Chris -... den 2012/02/27 12:35:15
  • skroehr Chris -... 2012/02/29 03:45:17
    skroehr
    +1
    These were my reasons for voting for Chuck Baldwin in 2008. It is correct that I did not violate any of my principles, and I slept well for a year or so, but then I realized that I had contributed. I have since found that point 2 is just wrong. They really don't look at the third parties at all. At least I see know evidence of it. And statement 4 is partially wrong, because casting a vote at this point for a third party candidate would be a sign of complacency to the transformation of the our country to Marxism, which then does mark us as a part of the problem in America. Hey.....At least you took a solid stand in your comment. I agree with the principles part heavily, and I don't even regret my vote for Baldwin entirely in 2008. (Seriously.....McCain or Obama? Really?) Anyway, I answered the question as undecided originally, but hearing my own past words come back to me on the matter has helped me to understand better myself how wrong I was. I hope that all of us who have held this stance in the past can get over it for a cycle or two anyway, so we can at least be part of the turning point back to a rational idea of the state. I don't think this time that I could sleep well, or that I would even be holding on to my principles if I cast a vote that did anything, in any respect to show a sympathetic leaning to a party, (the current Democratic Party), which has decided to blatantly attack our Republic.

Peace,

Steven
  • Chris -... skroehr 2012/02/29 14:17:22
  • Barefoo... Chris -... 2012/02/27 20:15:17
    Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm♥☮♥∞
    +1
    I agree.... wasted votes.....

2014/11/26 00:34:40