Do You Think the U.S. Should Stop Deporting Young Immigrants? (Obama Does)

Barack Obama made headlines Friday as he stated that his administration will no longer deport young illegal immigrants who came to the U.S. when they were children. His announcement, as expected, was met with part-joy and part-skepticism -- as well as a heckler who constantly kept interrupting the president as he spoke.

"These are young people who study in our schools, they play in our neighborhoods, they're friends with our kids, they pledge allegiance to our flag. They are Americans in their heart, in their minds, in every single way but one: on paper," the president said in his speech Friday morning. But he was also quick to add that this is not a permanent answer. "This is not amnesty. This is not immunity. This is not a path to citizenship... It's not a permanent fix," Obama said. Do you think the U.S. should stop deporting young immigrants?

• Laura kevjon 2012/06/19 23:51:57
    Laura
    +1
    I have ONE thing to say, (as I am really getting tired of this argument) IF these people were happy, as you say, then WHY would they leave their families, their lives, and travel into a country where they know no ones, have no one to help them and often dont even speak the language. They do it to better their lives or the lives of their family. End of discussion. Whether or not you agree with it, you cannot deny that these individuals faced hard enough circumstances that they were willing to leave everything behind in search of a better life.
  • kevjon Laura 2012/06/20 00:03:13
    kevjon
    End of discussion huh well I will leave it at that for a 28 year old who has never even been out of this country surly knows more than a 55 year old that was born in Uruguay lived in Argentina, Colombia and Guatemala, traveled through Mexico, Panama, Venezuela, Brazil, Peru, Paraguay, Costa Rica, Belize and actually all over Europe. Yeah you know better especially from a research paper you wrote...my bad. See you don't want to discuss this issue because it contradicts what your little research drove you to believe. I'll say this that you can take five people, give all five the same topic and you will get five interpretations. Of course yours is the right one.
  • Laura kevjon 2012/06/20 00:13:18
    Laura
    Oh ive never been out of this country? Yeah, ok. lol glad to know that you think you personally know me.

You think you know everything, but you don't.

America does not know true starvation, other countries do. Not all countries have truly starving indiciduals, but certain countries do. For instance, Guatemala has the sixth highest rate of chronic child malnutrition in the world and the highest in Latin America and the Caribbean, according to the World Food Programme (an agency of the United Nations).

highest latin america caribbean world food programme agency united nations
    All I can say is that if the father of this poor Guatemalan child came to America illegally to help save his family, then WHO THE HELL can blame him? Have a heart already.
  • kevjon Laura 2012/06/20 04:02:37
  • Laura kevjon 2012/06/20 04:18:09
    Laura
    You may say this is not a common problem in Guatemala, and yet statistically it has the 6th highest rate of malnutrition in the world. And all you need to do is go to the website that the picture is linked to. It is one of the MANY websites to help people from Latin American countries, this one is specifically geared towards Guatemala.

While I dont sponser any children from Guatemala at the moment, I do have two in El Salvador and one from Ecuador, all of which were originally malnourished and extremely underweight before being entered into the organization for help. All are doing well now. I also have a child in Africa that I sponsor.

FYI- I did not choose the countries that I sponsor children from, but these were the children I was given. No matter how you want to play it, there are starving children in these countries while we have an over abundance of food. I would gladly give whatever I could to help these people, whether legal, illegal or in a different country.
  • "Shoote... Laura 2012/06/20 13:51:36
    "Shooter" E-7 ™
    Blame his stupid parents for coming here ILLEGALLY!! and also the government of Guatemala!!
  • Laura "Shoote... 2012/06/20 14:05:04
    Laura
    Blame who exactly? I was not discussing anyone who came here illegally in my last post. And while of course I blame the Guatemalan government, I also know there is not much these governments do to help the people who live there and I CARE enough about others to want to make a difference.
  • "Shoote... Laura 2012/06/20 18:14:07 (edited)
    "Shooter" E-7 ™
    We can't help other people,Obama spent ALL our money, besides.... governments start helping the Guatemalan government and then it takes the responsibility away of the Guatemalan govt. Screw them...throw the government out if they really are suffering. If you really care.. send them your entire paycheck and your savings, better yet.. just work for them. Get a brain transplant or live in the REAL world.
  • Laura "Shoote... 2012/06/20 18:18:32
    Laura
    I send money all the time to needy children in other countries as well as in America. I do not have much money, but what I have I share. I hope that if the tables were turned, someone would do the same for me.

Actually, next christmas, I am hoping to talk my family into doing a joint donation instead of exchanging gifts. What do we need? While life is not perfect, we have food, a roof over our head, clothes and good family. Instead of gifts, we should send some needy families cows or goats to raise a breed. Make a difference in their lives.

You don't have to agree with me, but this is how I feel and I happy to help others. Americans are often way to selfish and I am glad I am not so and that I grew up in a family that would rather give then receive.
  • "Shoote... Laura 2012/06/20 18:59:55
  • Laura "Shoote... 2012/06/20 19:05:29
    Laura
    Ok well you keep on being a selfish ass and I'll keep in helping people, even if it makes silly republican babies like you cry. :-). Have a nice day!
  • "Shoote... Laura 2012/06/20 20:20:37
    "Shooter" E-7 ™
    Listen lady, I am not a selfish guy and I DO help people. We were NOT discussing selfishness the title of this tread is this one. "Do You Think the U.S. Should Stop Deporting Young Immigrants? (Obama Does)"
    I will keep on saying that they should be deported and enter the USA LEGALLY like others have, PERIOD!! Bye.. I am not getting any raves and I am NOT wasting my time with you anymore.
  • Laura "Shoote... 2012/06/20 21:46:35 (edited)
    Laura
    Yeah, we'll when I say I like to help people in need and I spend my hard earned money to help them and your reply is the photo you posted, it SURE makes YOU seem selfish. Just saying....
  • "Shoote... Laura 2012/06/20 22:27:38
    "Shooter" E-7 ™
    You whine and whine about illegals just go ahead and help them and that's it, you don't have to make it public.
    Bye..
  • Grandbr... Laura 2012/06/19 22:08:29
    Grandbrother
    +1
    Cheers for being patient enough to be thoughtful and informative in your response to kevjon's bigoted reply.
  • Laura Grandbr... 2012/06/19 23:29:53
    Laura
    +1
    Thanks :-)
  • kevjon Grandbr... 2012/06/19 23:50:17
    kevjon
    My replies come from experience of having been born a raised in Latin America so befor you throw out your incompetent BS insults you may think about using the brain that God gave you to add some thing worth reading.
  • Grandbr... kevjon 2012/06/20 03:40:11 (edited)
    Grandbrother
    +1
    I see - so making sweeping generalizations that "the greedy Hispanics would hoard the money", that they're all "stupid and poor", then later going on to rail on the "queers" is NOT bigoted? Interesting.

Incidentally, there is no god doling out brains. Our intellect is the result of millions of years of naturally occurring evolution coupled with our own efforts to inform and better ourselves.
  • kevjon Grandbr... 2012/06/20 04:04:50
    kevjon
    +1
    You have no clue of what is going on in the world so stick to your limited shallow state of mind and yes there is a God for those who believe....my guess...Athiest..good luck with that.
  • Grandbr... kevjon 2012/06/20 04:10:36
    Grandbrother
    +1
    Considering the fact that I haven't actually stated anything about my thoughts on "what is going on in the world", it seems odd for you to draw the conclusion you have about me. I'll be sure to ponder how you could leap to such definitive and erroneous conclusions during my 20 hour journey to Mumbai this coming Saturday.

And good guess that I'm an atheist! What gave it away? My saying that "there is no god"?
  • Laura Grandbr... 2012/06/20 18:20:03
    Laura
    +1
    He does that a lot, leap to conclusions about peoples beliefs and their lives. Its quite funny actually.
  • "Shooter" E-7 ™ 2012/06/18 22:31:14
    "Shooter" E-7 ™
    +7
    Every illegal should be deported and get a green card. Make it legal!!!
  • NotSoSi... "Shoote... 2012/06/19 02:27:25
    NotSoSimple
    +2
    No, they should be deported and never allowed to come back.
  • psychonaut NotSoSi... 2012/06/19 03:16:41
    psychonaut
    How has that been working out again? Oh! Right, it hasn't.
  • Laura "Shoote... 2012/06/19 03:31:08
    Laura
    +1
    If it were that easy to get a green card, or even a temporary visa, we would not have so many illegal immigrants. It is nearly impossible to come in legally from central and south American countries unless you have an American family member to help get you in. Even then, it can take years.
  • May Laura 2012/06/19 06:11:44 (edited)
    May
    Yes, I know the people who have gone through that. It was tough for them but they did it right. You want to be rewarded for doing it wrong? That is not how it works.
  • Laura May 2012/06/19 14:38:37
    Laura
    +1
    I dont want to be "rewarded" for anything. But I have seen first hand how impossible it can be to get people here legally from non-hispanic countries. It is much harder to get people here legally from central and south America than from anywhere else in the world. If it was a bit easier to come legally (it is nearly impossible if you dont have family in America, and with family, it can still take many years) maybe more people would do it legally. Either way, these children who grew up in America should not be punished for the decisions of their parents.
  • "Shoote... Laura 2012/06/20 18:17:45
  • May Laura 2012/06/30 07:26:47
    May
    The people I know, it took years. It was hard, but why should they have to obey our rules and others do not? That is what I mean by being rewarded. If you GET to be a citizen, I consider that a reward, when others were not rewarded with any special privileges. It took them years and a lot of hard work. It is not fair to our children who are out trying to find jobs and they are legal citizens. When we want something bad, it is easy to justify it. It does not make it right and it is the parents fault. It is a difficult situation but unfortunately, life is not fair. I have found that out the hard way, with many tears.
  • "Shoote... Laura 2012/06/19 19:03:27
    "Shooter" E-7 ™
    This is their problem not ours, they can wait if they really want to be here. Rome was not built in 3 days.
  • Laura "Shoote... 2012/06/19 19:19:25
    Laura
    +1
    But it is literally close to impossible to come here legally from a central or south American country. If they dont have family members already in America it will probably never happen. Many of the people who want to come here are leaving for a reason. They dont have food, clean water, a way to make money and support their family, etc. Often they cannot wait years and years to see if on some off chance, they are actually allowed to come here.
    If America made it a bit easier for them (as it is for people from European countries or from Canada) to come here, then there would be less illegal immigrants. As is, many people face dire circumstances where they truly feel they have no choice but to come here illegally.

I was doing a research paper last year and spoke to many illegal immigrants/people who had illegal immigrant friends/family. I heard many stories. I already shared one earlier today but will share another now.

A man came to America from Guatemala (legally) to make money to support his family back home. He sent money monthly to try and keep his family happy and safe and keep his children in school. His hope was to eventually bring them to America to join him. He had each on a waiting list and was going through the proper legal system.

His daughter (13 years old) beg...

His daughter (13 years old) began complaining that she didn't want to go to school Her mother pushed her as her father was working so hard to keep them in school. One day his daughter didn't come home. They found her, beaten and raped near her school. Turned out she had been raped before but was embarrassed. Fearing for his daughters safety as well as the safety of the rest of his family, this man decided to get the money to move them here illegally. He didn't feel it was safe to keep them there anymore. His daughter could have died, how can one blame him?
    Not to say this couldn't happen in America, but much more would be done about it here. Little is done to protect people there or to stop things like this or to get justice for those it happens to. Couple this with the fact that this man was unable to support his family when living in Guatemala and wanted to be with his family, who can blame him for bringing them over.

If the tables were turned, I would surely do that same for my family, wouldn't you?
  • "Shoote... Laura 2012/06/19 21:11:04
    "Shooter" E-7 ™
    This is their problem not ours, they can wait if they really want to be here. Rome was not built in 3 days. The "documented" aliens WAITED and so can they.
    No excuses.
  • Laura "Shoote... 2012/06/19 23:32:00
    Laura
    And I think that is the problem at this moment. Too many people in America are selfish individuals who could care less about people who have suffered or are suffering. I am not like that. I care about others. I give money for starving children even though times are tough and I have compassion for those in need.
  • "Shoote... Laura 2012/06/20 13:48:08
    "Shooter" E-7 ™
    My parents had to wait a long time but they finally got their green cards and NEVER complained about the" waiting". These people got here ILLEGALLY!!! and have to be deported. If they are suffering, you should blame the Mexican government not the USA NOR Americans!!
    They should get their asses out and come here LEGALLY just like the rest of DECENT Mexicans who waited and waited and finally got here LEGALLY !!!.
  • Laura "Shoote... 2012/06/20 13:53:51
    Laura
    Why does everyone keep mentioning Mexicans? MANY illegal immigrants are from other countries. And YOUR PARENTS situation is not everyones. Some people do leave dire situations behind...I have seen this first hand. I am not saying that everyone who comes here illegally was in that sort of situation, but many were and who can blame them for coming over. I dont.
  • kevjon "Shoote... 2012/06/20 04:10:00
    kevjon
    She doesn't have a clue as to what she is talking about, they don't have food or clean water? How does she think they survived all these years? Liberals did the same thing to get the 800 billion and once they got it they never looked back. Not one cent went to do anything they ranted and raved about but do they care now, hell no.
  • "Shoote... kevjon 2012/06/20 13:48:58
    "Shooter" E-7 ™
    +1
    You are absolutely right my friend!!! Right on the money!!
  • Laura kevjon 2012/06/20 13:55:47
    Laura
    Excuse me, I have more of a clue than you do. You are only willing to look at ONE side of the equation while I am willing to see that there are many sides. And no, not everyone has access to clean water or enough food. That doesn't mean they don't have the ability to survive...many people survive in horrible situations, that does not make it right.
  • kevjon Laura 2012/06/20 14:31:05
    kevjon
    You still aren't listening, I lived and traveled all over Latin America. My best friend moved to the ghetto in Bogota and I used to spend two and three days at a time there with him. The people were poor but they were fed and kept their places clean. You sure don't give people credit for being decent human beings.
    You keep confusing the Ethiopians with the Latin Americans.
    Once again you are arguing with someone who lived there while you are without experience. Why cant you except that you don't know?
    Now granted there are poor that need help and it is a good thing to be part of that help but the situation is no where the Haiti that you paint it to be.
  • Laura kevjon 2012/06/20 16:51:32 (edited)
    Laura
    I did not say that all people are in bad situations....Why cant YOU listen? But to say there are no people in these countries living in horrible circumstances in ridiculous. I could CARE LESS if you have been there....my fiance is from El Salvador and lived there much of his life. I have spent time with many of his family members and friends and while they come from one of the nicer areas of El Salvador they tell horror stories about other areas.

Through my fiance, I have met many, many people from central America, both legal and illegal, all of which have the same stories of hardship and longing for a way to actually care for their families. This is why they came here...the AMERICAN DREAM...the reason ALL out ancestors came here. I do what I can to help the people who are not as fortunate as me, because it is the right thing to do.

My fiance was very lucky that he came from a family who already had family members living as citizens in America, he was able to come over here legally and only had to wait a few years for his green card and after going through the steps is now a citizen. However, he has many friends who were not as lucky. He has tried to bring over a couple of dear friends who were in bad situations but was unable to as he is not their family. His lawye...

My fiance was very lucky that he came from a family who already had family members living as citizens in America, he was able to come over here legally and only had to wait a few years for his green card and after going through the steps is now a citizen. However, he has many friends who were not as lucky. He has tried to bring over a couple of dear friends who were in bad situations but was unable to as he is not their family. His lawyer says it probably will never happen, and if it does happen, it will take many years.

You need to get over yourself and stop acting like you know everything...you don't. If you were right then I would not know SO many people who tell the same stories. Is everyone is bad situations? NO Are some people? YES

Are there organizations trying to help those in need? YES Is the picture of a baby from Guatemala real? YES, its is from one of the many sites to help children in need in Latin American countries. If there were not children in need, these sites would not exist and I would not be sponsoring multiple children in need.

2014/07/28 08:35:32