Do You Think the Supreme Court Will Strike Down DOMA?

ABC News U.S. 2013/03/27 19:00:00
Related Topics: Supreme Court, DOMA, Court
A majority of the Supreme Court's justices expressed skepticism Wednesday about the federal law defining marriage as between one man and one woman. Wednesday's arguments on DOMA marked the second straight day that the nation's highest court considered a high-profile case on gay marriage.

After considering a challenge to California's Proposition 8 ban on gay marriage Tuesday, the Supreme Court heard arguments Wednesday in a case seeking to overturn the 1996 law signed by President Bill Clinton that defined marriage as heterosexual and prevented gay couples from receiving federal marriage benefits. If the Supreme Court considers the merits of either case, it could issue a landmark ruling on gay marriage by the end of June.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/gay-marriage-r...

• LizzieSparrow 2013/04/25 20:25:13
    LizzieSparrow
    Yup. About time.
  • AdmrlLocke 2013/04/09 17:48:53
    AdmrlLocke
    I think that by a 5-4 majority, the court will not find a constitutional right to homosexual marriage, but I think that the four liberals on the court will suddenly discover federalism,and joined by Kennedy, will strike down DOMA as a violation of federalism.
  • shayna.l.ferguson 2013/04/06 22:02:59
    shayna.l.ferguson
    +1
    One either believes in freedom and equality for all, or you don't. It's really that simple. Of course there's exceptions in situations where the common good outweighs the need to be free to do whatever we want. We're not free to indiscriminately kill people, but in a case of self preservation, taking someone's life is justified. We have the right to free speech, but we're not free to slander people with lies, along with a myriad of other similar instances. In the case of marriage equality, being free and equal outweighs any argument of the common good. If a compelling one does indeed exist. Of course some people are born with a better skill set than others, so we're not all truly equal in reality, but in the yes of the law, we are. DOMA is is clearly unconstitutional, just like the miscegenation, and sodomy laws are/were. So it will be struck down. America is still a democratic republic, not a theocracy.
  • Becky Bodnarchuk 2013/04/04 16:12:08
    Becky Bodnarchuk
    I say no, hopeing they will do the right thing, even if it not politically correct just now.
    Mr. Clinton did a lot of things during his presidency that made me cring but putting Doma in place is the best thing he did do!
    While I feel compassion doe those like Miss Edith Windsor, who want to have legal validation of her relationship with her partner, she wasn't married to a spouse.
    From the Garden (of Eden), across the country and the world, 'spouse' is understood to be opposite sex.
    And I hope the Supreme Court will see the wisdom of keeping a national definition of marriage with DOMA.
    Why? We need one, in the chaos!
    It is not homophobic either.
    Same sex partners will not be happy.
    But neither will those who want to have more than one partner at a time.
    Those who want to take younger and younger girls will not be able to hide behind a lax law either to continue preying on young women.
    As an RN I would sneak in partners years ago, to visit while in the hospital, because I do respect the choices of others.
    But enough is enough.
    Time to show respect for all under the law.
    Marriage has been defined as one woman and one man legally wed for life, for years.
    Civil rights can be granted to people who live together, have been for years in fact.
    But I heard someone say that Ms Edith a...

Why? We need one, in the chaos!
    It is not homophobic either.
    Same sex partners will not be happy.
    But enough is enough.
    But I heard someone say that Ms Edith and her partner deserved to have their 'marriage' because they were devoted to one another all those years.
    Nonsense!
    My husband's dear uncle and aunt lived together, devotedly too, but even if they would have been having sex-which they didn't-wouldn't 'deserve' to be equated with marriage.
    I hope the Supreme Court will have sense, common sense, and consider the Almighty's laws when making or upholding, ours. Afterall, the good laws we got from G-d.
  • LizzieS... Becky B... 2013/04/25 20:27:47
    LizzieSparrow
    NEWSFLASH: We're NOT a theocracy, so we don't govern by religion.
  • LizzieS... Becky B... 2013/04/25 20:50:21
    LizzieSparrow
    We're not a theocracy. We don't govern by religious beliefs. Your analogies are flawed. And it isn't your place to decide what consenting adults want to do in their personal lives. YOU are not affected by other people getting married, whether they're same-sex or not. If you're married, gay people getting married do NOT affect YOUR marriage in any way, shape or form. Just because you "don't like it" isn't a valid reason for anyone to dictate someone else's personal life.

"Time to show respect for all under the law." EXCELLENT IDEA. Meaning that it's time to show respect for EVERYONE---irregardless of sexual orientation--by legally allowing consenting adults of whatever sexual orientation to marry.
  • Erica 2013/04/04 14:44:39
    Erica
    +2
    To put it shortly: Why stick your nose where it doesn't belong? Let people marry who they want to marry, it's none of our darn business to dictate who they marry.

I think religion is completely wrong in making a stand here as a reason to not have same sex marriages. I also think that too many people that say they are religious speak loudly for their religion and give it a bad reputation.

Why would you want people to have the impression that everyone in your religion is just a crazy religious zealot? That's not a way to get people to convert. Be more loving and less judgmental. "it was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!" blah blah; who are you to judge and claim that you know what God says?

Plus, sometimes women just suck (a lot of the time they're effin crazy!). Gay men found a way around the system; they don't have to deal with crazy women, or lesbians don't have to deal with a**holes of men :) You'd think that "religious zealots" would be grateful that the gay plague isn't spreading lmao. ← disclaimer: I don't think homosexuality is a plague
  • Pug For Huck 2013/04/03 19:40:10 (edited)
    Pug For Huck
    +1
    It will go back to the states.
  • Fun-sized 2013/04/03 15:03:02
    Fun-sized
    +1
    It's gonna go eventually. It definitely needs to.
  • Mark 2013/04/03 08:53:10
    Mark
    +1
    At least, I hope so. Then, the definition should be set correctly at the Federal level, to keep states that are against civil rights from denying marriage by the state. I don't care what religions deny it. They can deny the marriages all they want, but it won't matter outside of their churches.
  • john fifles 2013/04/03 06:50:56
    john fifles
    they must do it.. OR ELSE
  • LifeIsComedyPHAET 2013/04/03 05:00:52
    LifeIsComedyPHAET
    It violates the right of a particular State's contracts to be found valid by all other States.
  • TortoiseWrath 2013/04/03 02:34:19
    TortoiseWrath
    +1
    Am I the only one who's tired of reading four-letter acronyms ending with "A?"

SOPA PIPA DOMA CISPA (okay, so that one has five letters)

Also, CFAA, though that's an initialism, not an acronym.
  • LizzieS... Tortois... 2013/04/25 20:52:01
    LizzieSparrow
    Count me as another who's tired of those acronyms.
  • Just Mom 2013/04/02 21:43:28
    Just Mom
    They will not rule. They will pass on this one this time around. Too political.
  • T-dub 2013/04/02 17:19:12 (edited)
    T-dub
    +1
    I can see why they would and I would not be totally against it. I am not pro-same-sex marriage, but that does not mean that I am not for equal rights. My stance on the issue is faith-based, but that does not mean that I don't think there are unfair laws and privileges that favor some over others.

In my honest opinion, I believe the best solution would be to get gov't out of the business of marriage licensing. This would get rid of the political side as well as the tax, legal, and personal/medical sides of the debate...in other words put everyone on the same playing field. People could get married by their church and/or by someone else (or non-religious group).

In the end, I don't want my gov't to define what marriage is (so I don't necessarily agree to legalizing gay marriage); rather, I would prefer that each person have the right to be in a relationship with another consenting adult (even though I may not necessarily agree [morally] with all forms of relationships).
  • keliffa 2013/04/02 16:15:40
    keliffa
    I pray they do.
  • Buffalobill91 2013/04/02 15:33:19
    Buffalobill91
    +1
    This country was founded on the idea of liberty--but wasn't it JFK that said that "...there is little value in insuring the survival of our nation if our traditions do not survive with it..."

This would've been so much easier (and so much healthier for our country) if we would have just delegated a different term to define same sex unions and give it all the same legal benefits as marriage...then the traditions in this country wouldn't be harmed yet others could be given their just due rights.

Please WAKE UP----So many people cant see that they (and the 17 trillion dollar hole) just want to keep us all fighting amongst each other and distracted from what they are doing to us---- If its not gay-straight its white-black, Christian-Muslim, rich-poor, republican-democrat; left-right...

All we need to do is embrace the concept of liberty and nearly all questions are easily answered... the only question left would be what to do with all the oath breakers and traitors in office who constantly want to take away our freedoms.
  • ruru 2013/04/02 06:00:11
    ruru
    +1
    Of course they will.
  • Little Ninjai 2013/04/02 03:47:21
  • Ana Little ... 2013/04/02 04:00:35
    Ana
    +1
    Finally, someone sane. Although really, is your view coming from religious beliefs? Spiritual? Anyway, I agree, but, the people want legal rights, so why not? I mean, paperwork, why not? right?
  • Little ... Ana 2013/04/02 04:28:48
  • LizzieS... Little ... 2013/04/25 20:58:01
    LizzieSparrow
    Then just shut your eyes real tight and don't look---or go ahead and puke. Whatever. XD Fortunately, that's not going to prevent people from conducting their lives the way they want, regardless of someone else's views, thankfully.
  • Little ... LizzieS... 2013/04/25 21:28:41
  • Terry Tate Little ... 2013/04/02 14:03:28
    Terry Tate
    +1
    Well Said Chuck Dean!
  • Little ... Terry Tate 2013/04/02 15:32:52
  • Expressin Little ... 2013/04/02 20:24:57
    Expressin
    First prove that your creator is indeed the actual creator.
  • Little ... Expressin 2013/04/03 02:49:20 (edited)
  • Expressin Little ... 2013/04/04 22:48:21
    Expressin
    +1
    You must first prove that book is indeed correct and all other religions are false. Simple belief doesn't make it true
  • Little ... Expressin 2013/04/05 01:58:53
  • LizzieS... Little ... 2013/04/25 21:01:08
    LizzieSparrow
    LMAO! What's with the repetitive "Give me oxygen first...." WTF? XD You didn't prove anything--you merely repeated the same thing twice.
  • LizzieS... Little ... 2013/04/25 20:53:59
  • RawRsaurus 2013/04/02 00:38:57
  • llamalife44 2013/04/01 23:30:45
    llamalife44
    I hope they do
  • Jay H .Lee 2013/04/01 20:42:36
    Jay H .Lee
    Year 2004 Hurricanes End-up WV USA. Alexus Juliana Perez Lee NOW 8 years Old, Wish for Return Home but No Home to return injustice for Jay Lee Grandchild. “If no objection is filed/Defeat all courts/demand the Damages US Supreme court forms
    www.youtube.com/user/jaylee6038, ji6066@gmail.com / jayleeocoeefl@gmail.com
    I believe that –Award-winning Social Justice are had been truly engaged!!!Moreover long March toward. I’m founder/president 41 Nation join Together Sponsored Local needy children Home Boys Basketball Team to HOOP IT UP SEA WORLD ORLANDO,FL USA I’m Jay Lee Founder/President OCTW Corp. Form 1994 OCOEE, FL 34761. Moreover “Form to 2008 Jay Lee Family Hope Foundation -Also as will “worldwide promise to be eligible for a Grant “enters into 3/19/13 Knight foundation News Challenge I pursue my Dreams and I truly believe that anything is possible!!! “The voice of people voice of the GOD” as well as I truly believe that US Supreme Courts That was God give rights, Wisdom of 2nd chances to me And My Grandchild But egregious it Still pending up to 79 M…#10-9061 ”Rule of Law” OUR Land equal care to all people, regardless of their color or country. Especially during the difficult years-“” The money need asked for when no other bank in town would, Come Stood with part of s...

I believe that –Award-winning Social Justice are had been truly engaged!!!Moreover long March toward. I’m founder/president 41 Nation join Together Sponsored Local needy children Home Boys Basketball Team to HOOP IT UP SEA WORLD ORLANDO,FL USA I’m Jay Lee Founder/President OCTW Corp. Form 1994 OCOEE, FL 34761. Moreover “Form to 2008 Jay Lee Family Hope Foundation -Also as will “worldwide promise to be eligible for a Grant “enters into 3/19/13 Knight foundation News Challenge I pursue my Dreams and I truly believe that anything is possible!!! “The voice of people voice of the GOD” as well as I truly believe that US Supreme Courts That was God give rights, Wisdom of 2nd chances to me And My Grandchild But egregious it Still pending up to 79 M…#10-9061 ”Rule of Law” OUR Land equal care to all people, regardless of their color or country. Especially during the difficult years-“” The money need asked for when no other bank in town would, Come Stood with part of stories you are the Elbert Tuttle + Vice President Joe Biden United States America email Massages to me New Sheriff in Town.” How Honored as I was!!!” Also Jeb Bush Explains His Remarks the caucus.blogs.nytimes.com “Grandchild Return Home Challenge NOW!” moreover “Alliance for Justice Do you think Justices are injecting politics into the Supreme Court? Click to stop them United States Supreme Court Justices Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas Message though Facebook. Also “By Oprah winfrey Hangin’ with the Justice Sotomayor and me in the Bronx. “The voice, answers these questions” Nations long March toward, It’s should be Also “The golden rule Super Investment for Freedom, Liberty, Equality and Justice Forever OUR LAND?
    “I’m Immigration from South Korea in 1994, Founder of OCT W Corp.first time our country History all most 41 nation join tighter with 501(c)(3) IRS Organization Exempt Status with a Sponsored Local needy children Home Boys basketball Team to HOOP IT UP SEA WORLD ORLANDO, FLUSA Giving a hope Dreams!!!”Also Year 2008 form the Jay Lee Family Hope Foundation (Corp.) WV USA.
    Seed been plan But run out Resource …as you may know “Fundraising Grandchild Return home Challenge NOW!” Also Pending U.S. Supreme Court case #10-9061 Pro Se filed, I Truly believing America those… Also I truly believe I’m and participate Citizens civic duty. I’m hope for Promised Land.we are all most There…
    This is Simple but profound Principle-golden rule believing AmericanDream,Freedom,Liberty... for Democracy Also The Idea of Open government are bottomless gold mine for democracy Spirits but we must know the deeper we dig, the more riches we discover. “Hope for Promised Land” also Equal care to all people, regardless of their color or country our land, that should be our goal, It’s like a road map for democracy voice of Spirits and hopes of one city to next village, and next state ,Around the World we put the golden rule into action. Rule of Law when we believe that comes wisdom of democracy. It’s like a road map for Democracy.

God Bless You And God Bless America Jay Lee Family ETC
  • Racefish 2013/04/01 18:27:58
    Racefish
    +3
    It should never have been passed. This is another area where the federal government infringes on the 10th Amendment. It's also covered under the 9th.
    I should add, this is far different than the Loving case since it is not about race, but gender.
  • Terry Tate Racefish 2013/04/01 23:34:34
    Terry Tate
    +2
    What gets me the people of California spoke, so the Gay Community did not get thier way so they are crying to the Government now to get thier way, just like spoiled rotten children.
  • LizzieS... Terry Tate 2013/04/25 21:02:00
    LizzieSparrow
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Really bugs ya', doesn't it?! Good. XD
  • 4570GOVT 2013/04/01 15:46:11
    4570GOVT
    +1
    HOPE NOT !
  • Boudicea 2013/04/01 14:59:57
    Boudicea
    But I think it will allow Prop 8 to stand.

2014/04/20 01:19:59