Do you think the President should salute the flag

Judy 2010/12/11 08:28:04
Related Topics: Messiah, Pew

WHY NO SALUTE BY OBAMA AT MEDAL OF HONOR CEREMONY?
By Attorney Rees Lloyd

A moment of national pride took place recently in the White House when an American soldier, Staff Sgt. Salvatore Giunta, received the Medal of Honor for bravery above and beyond the call of duty in combat in Afghanistan.Sgt. Giunta became the first living American soldier to receive the Medal of Honor since the Vietnam War. He is now one of only eighty-eight (88) living holders of the Medal of Honor.

As modest and self-effacing as he is brave, Sgt. Giunta brought further honor to himself by his humility in receiving the nation's highest medal of valor. While he made no comment in the ceremony, Giunta said before the ceremony that he was "not at peace" with being "singled out" for the honor as so many other soldiers did so much.. And after the ceremony, he said he would trade the honor in a moment if he could bring back those whose lives he attempted to save under enemy fire but was unable to save. He definitely showed that he was an American in whom America could be proud.

In contrast, there was another "first" at the ceremony involving the Commander-in-Chief, President Barack Hussein Obama, in whose conduct the nation cannot and should not take pride: As far as is known, Obama became the first President, the first Commander-in-Chief , not to salute the living recipient of the Medal of Honor after presenting the medal.

It is a tradition in the military for all military personnel, no matter how high their rank, including the Commander-in-Chief, to salute a holder of the Medal of Honor no matter how lowly his or her rank. If General David Petreas was to encounter Sgt. Giunta, it would be the General who would salute the enlisted man, as a sign of respect for that soldier's extraordinary bravery, but also to show respect to all those who have received the Medal of Honor.

At all gatherings of veterans of the American Legion, or VFW, or other veterans organizations, if a Medal of Honor recipient enters the room, even a National Convention involving thousands, the proceedings stop to render military honor to that holder of the Medal of Honor. All veterans rise, come to attention, and salute. It is a matter of pride, of respect, of tradition.

And, as far as is known, it is tradition that every President who has had the honor to present the Medal of Honor to a living recipient, has shown humility, respect, and national pride in that recipient by stepping back and rendering a salute.

It was missing in action in the Obama presentation. He is apparently above all that; "like a God," as an editor of Newsweek once wrote.

Instead of rendering the traditional salute, after fumbling as if all-thumbs in trying to affix the blue-ribboned Medal of Honor, Obama, equally awkwardly, tried to "hug" the Sergeant. Yes, a "hug" for the soldier who remained at attention with eyes front in military bearing.

But a "hug" is not a "salute," even in the Age of Obama. While there may be some comedic value in Obama's pathetic display, it was more emetic than comedic. I didn't write about it at the time, so as not to distract from Sgt. Giunta's receipt of the Medal of Honor. But days have past, and it needs to be said.

Why? Is it naught but petty carping of poor President Obama? I think not. He is the "Commander-in-Chief" who has in his power the lives of those who serve in defense of the country, which he himself did not deign to do. It is pointing out that this man, this professional politician, repeatedly evidences contempt for America, for America's traditions, and for Americans who respect those traditions.

It is as if he loathes the nation he was so desperate to lead, and be loved by, Messiah-like. It is of a piece with his constant misquoting of the Declaration of Independence by leaving out the words "endowed by their Creator" when speaking of "unalienable rights."

Perhaps more aptly: It is of a pathetic piece with Obama's penchant for declining to abide by the U.S. Flag Code when the Flag passes to place his hand over his heart. Instead, he drapes his arms down and enfolds his hands at his crotch Michael Jackson-style. It is now mocked as Obama's "crotch salute." But it isn't funny. It is contempt by Obama for the Flag, for America.

Perhaps it is unfair to criticize this President of the United States for displaying such contempt for American traditions. Perhaps it is too much to expect an American President to salute a recipient of the military Medal of Honor when that president never served in the uniform of his country; has said that the Rules For Radicals of the America-hating socialist revolutionist Sol Alinsky are "seared into my [his] brain;" who launched his political career in Chicago from the living room of the revolutionist Weather Underground rich-brat-bombers Bill Ayers and Bernadine Dohrn; and who sat for twenty years in a pew of the church of Rev. "God D...n America" Wright, being marinated in hate-filled, grievance-filled, self-defined "anti-white" and "revolutionary" Black Liberation Theology.

Then again, perhaps it is not too much to expect a Kenyan who got elected America's president to at least respect American traditions, including honoring the Flag, and saluting those who receive the Medal of Honor.

What do you think about this report? How do you feel about our own President not saluting the flag?

Do you think the President should salute the flag and a medal of honor recipient, and if not, why?

• ThomasSnouffer 2010/12/11 14:06:25
    Of course he should salute the flag and medal of honor recipient
    ThomasSnouffer
    +7
    Just further proves that the man is an arrogant fool who can't even realize when he's in the presence of REAL greatness!

• Sherry 2011/03/28 15:09:03
    Sherry
    +1
    With a name like Obama?? (so close to Osama!)pluuus he doesnt give honor to our American flag to me sends more than red flags! I mean come on! Why did the American people accept this!?
  • AL 2011/01/23 07:24:50
    AL
    +1
    O bama can't even find the right hand to put on his chest to say the pledge of elegance for heavens sake!
  • Bennett 2011/01/22 15:32:38
  • Todd~AFCL 2010/12/12 00:59:23
    Todd~AFCL
    +4
    If he is there to show respect to our heroic people, then yes he should salute the flag and the Medal of Honor winner. Of course, I think his very presence is disrespectful and he should go hide under that rock he crawled out from under when he started his political career.
  • Casy 2010/12/11 22:43:08
    Casy
    +3
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!

salute the flag
    BUT... he prefers to just stand..???
    salute the flag
  • Judy Casy 2010/12/13 01:12:52
    Judy
    +2
    He makes me sick that the commander-in-chief to be won't salute the flag. That should have been a clue to people but they ignored that one as well. It's sad that people ignored this and so many other clues and voted for him anyway.
  • Casy Judy 2010/12/13 01:13:38
    Casy
    +1
    Agree..............
  • MarcusRP 2010/12/11 21:46:33
    I don't care if he does or not
    MarcusRP
    +1
    I was under the impression that saluting was reserved for the armed servicemen, and that civilians were to put their hand over their heart.
  • Judy MarcusRP 2010/12/13 01:14:11
    Judy
    +1
    I think that's true but the Pres is the highest ranking member of the military and therefore, he should act like it.
  • pamela 2010/12/11 18:57:59
    pamela
    +5
    Of course he should have honored the man receiving the Medal Of Honor, but what Obama should have done, and what he did do are two different things. Obama is like the scarecrow, tinman and cowardly lion, from the Wizard of Oz, all rolled into one, brainless, heartless and is a cowardice. We true Americans are the only ones who actually see this about him. Those who voted him in office, should be ashamed, to have placed a person, who has done nothing his whole life, but lie his way to the top, to have become the POTUS.
    It's only we true Americans and American patriots see this man Giunta for everything he is truly worth, and extremely brave and patriotic man that has fought for our country and risked his life not just for us that never did military time, but for those that also died in the line of fire. A Medal of Honor Recipient should always be saluted. life military died line fire medal honor recipient saluted I salute you
  • Red Branch 2010/12/11 16:48:07
    Red Branch
    +4
    This is the best indication of the location Obama's loyalties and priorities. He cannot place anything before Allah and Islam. If he could have done his duty for Allah first, then he could have saluted the flag.
  • Terry 2010/12/11 16:45:25
    Terry
    +4
    How can anyone think it is ok not to care or not if the President of the United States that is seen all over the world doesn't salute because it is showing respect. Folks we are getting too loose as a nation when people are sucking up our air with bs.
    Have you considered that the outcome of the trade summit was due to his lack of commitment and him looking like a amateur president or should I say inept. He gets what he deserves if he sets a standard like this for the American people as well as our soldiers that are fighting for him. What is this a one way street?
  • Wayne 2010/12/11 16:35:36
    Wayne
    +6
    Perhaps he doesn't know any better? Perhaps he is ignorant and un-American as many have accused him of! Perhaps he is a progressive socialist arrogant fool that doesn't care about this country? That's ok, he's not alone, all progressives, moderates, socialists, communists, Atheists and Agnostics and all those who hold disgust and loathing hate for our Great Republic at heart show and say the same regarding respect for the traditions of our country! I never served in the military either but I know better than to show this kind of bigotry and hate toward this my country, especially if I were it's elected President. There is no excuse to be disrespectful. There is no honor in disrespecting those who have served this great country in the military. There is no excuse for those who disrespect the honored soldiers who have given their lives for the freedom to those who are disrespecting this country and those who love her. This is the greatest country on Earth today. If you cannot respect the many blessings you enjoy in this Great Land then at least try to respect yourself by showing decency and appreciation for the privilege you have to be living among those who do or perhaps you could just keep your mouth shut.
  • Judy Wayne 2010/12/13 01:23:59
    Judy
    +2
    I think it's appalling to not salute the flag when you are 1) an American citizen 2) President of the United States, and 3) Commander and chief of the military 4) the flag is the essence of this nation and represents the lives that paid for this nation's freedom. I think it's inexcusable and he should hear from us on this point.
  • La 2010/12/11 15:06:09
    I don't care if he does or not
    La
    +1
    Do you think questions require question marks? Yeah me too.

Eh maybe he forgot. He's hardly a military man and it's been a long time since one of these was given out.

Maybe it's a stupid tradition? "At all gatherings of veterans of the American Legion, or VFW, or other veterans organizations, if a Medal of Honor recipient enters the room, even a National Convention involving thousands, the proceedings stop to render military honor to that holder of the Medal of Honor." This fellow said himself that he doesn't believe he deserves to be singled out. You want to do that to him every time he walks into a room? You think he'll appreciate that?

You're gonna call out Obama for not following the flag code? When Palin broke the code by defacing an American flag, in her haste to autograph everything in sight, her screaming supporters insisted that following the flag code was optional.

Also it would be nice not to harp on about the fact that he's never been in the army. The majority of Americans also haven't been in the army, and it's not part of the criteria that a President must serve.
  • The Lib... La 2010/12/11 18:14:13
    The Lib Hater
    +5
    Palin is not our President so get off it and wake up. Obama is to Represent You and this Country. And he has done neither other then waged war aginst the American People. What has he done for you?

wake obama represent country waged war aginst american people
  • La The Lib... 2010/12/11 19:15:22
    La
    +1
    Why would Obama represent me? >.> From where I'm standing, he does represent America. I really hadn't noticed him waging war against the American people. The Republicans, maybe.
  • The Lib... La 2010/12/11 21:30:07 (edited)
    The Lib Hater
    +5
    Really? Then why all of a sudden is he embracing more Republican tax ideas - flat tax, the idea that lower rates can generate more revenue? Oh, I am so sorry that may be over your head. However it is a simple answer- Because it works. Lord knows I did not want you to spend all day thinking about for I know you have better things to do, Right? Maybe it's to save his sorry ass from being voted out in the next election.
  • Todd~AFCL The Lib... 2010/12/11 22:29:33
    Todd~AFCL
    +3
    I am not completely sure, but I think you may have gone over her head with your logic. It never ceases to amaze me that liberals can not, or will not, see that the agenda being pushed by 0bama is in direct conflict with the constitution and the best interests of the American people.
  • Judy Todd~AFCL 2010/12/13 02:08:01
    Judy
    +2
    I feel the same way. It's common sense unless you believe the only way you can keep getting your subsidies is to tax the rich so there is money. They rich don't deserve to be rich on the backs on workers...is how most of them who take from the system believe. But it never occurs to them that the person likely became rich bec he was smart in providing prod or serv people need and want, and he provides the jobs that moves those prod and serv. Without the person doing what he/she does, those prod or services or jobs would not exist. Hum, where would we be then. Where would the money be then to pay for their programs? Hum, hard to figure that one out when it is so obvious to me. I think the mindset of many Americans need to change and see why we've grown in commerce over the past 400 years faster than any other nation. That is what I just heard on a program last night on America, A Story About Us.
  • johnnywoo The Lib... 2010/12/12 02:13:19
    johnnywoo
    +2
    Hi Mike,This woman is in England.What she knows about Obama,she hears in the news.Don,t waste your time with her.
  • Judy johnnywoo 2010/12/13 02:08:53
    Judy
    +2
    I knew she wasn't an American. It's easy to see when she didn't understand the flag and the purpose of saluting. Thanks.
  • Judy The Lib... 2010/12/13 01:59:33 (edited)
    Judy
    Because his hero (former Pres. Clinton) is telling him that he needs to move closer to the middle or don't expect to be re-elected. You are truly right on that point.

The independents are the ones he needs to win over and still keep his base. Independents reside closer to the middle.

Mike, you can make your point without being insulting and condescending. I don't think it helps anyone when insults fly and it's unnecessary.
  • Judy La 2010/12/13 01:55:30
    Judy
    +1
    Your ignorance toward the state of this nation and the situation we are in around the world is why the things you say hold no water. I'm so sorry so many people feel like you do. It just shows how little the nation has left when it comes to the traditions of the past and for the future of America as a Republic Democracy. I am sure you also support socialism/communism too and that's why you see nothing wrong with Obama.
    It's called the blind leading the blind.

republic democracy support socialismcommunism wrong obama blind leading blind

Or is this more of what you want our nation to look like? This is where we are headed.

democracy support socialismcommunism wrong obama blind leading blind nation headed
    democracy support socialismcommunism wrong obama blind leading blind nation headed Reserved for Freedom Fighting Patriots;

obama blind leading blind nation headed reserved freedom fighting patriots Unions would become the thugs of modern USA;

nation headed reserved freedom fighting patriots unions thugs modern usa Mexico rules;

reserved freedom fighting patriots unions thugs modern usa mexico rules No more free speech.

fighting patriots unions thugs modern usa mexico rules free speech Or do you love America and your freedoms?
  • Judy La 2010/12/13 01:33:09
    Judy
    +3
    I was going to ignore your ignorance but decided you need to be challenged on this point. First, are you an American Citizen? If so, where is your loyalty? Is it the to United States that make it possible for you to enjoy your freedom to say and do pretty much anything you wish as long as you don't commit treason or infringe on someone else's right? No, the fellow said he didn't want to be singled-out as the only one when others were involved, but it was HIM who did the honorable and heroic act to cause recognition. As such, he needs to be recognized.You obviously don't understand or appreciate the traditions of the military and the respect that comes with those of rank or you would not make such ignorant statements. THE POINT IS THAT WE SHOW RESPECT AND HONOR TOWARDS THE FLAG THAT REPRESENTS THE LIVES WHO PAID THE ULTIMATE PRICE FOR THE FREEDOM YOU ENJOY RIGHT NOW ON THIS PAGE. IT ALSO REPRESENTS YOUR COMMITMENT TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. If you don't salute the flag and say the pledge it does cause one to think about your commitment to the Constitution and to protecting the United States of America. The fact he did neither says a lot about him and about you because you don't get it.
  • La Judy 2010/12/13 20:12:49
    La
    I am not, no.

>Is it the to United States that make it possible for you to enjoy your freedom to say and do pretty much anything you wish

Mildly incoherent as this was, I gather you'd like America to take credit for the level of freedom in Britain. No, I don't give America credit for that :/ Our laws and regulations go back wayyy further than yours, funnily enough.

You say he needs to be recognised, but why? If he doesn't want the recognition/constant attention, how can you say he /needs/ it? No one /needs/ constant attention? Does he /need/ to be recognised so the American military can boast that it still produces heroes? Who /needs/ him to be recognised?

Genuinely curious - why does American /obsess/ so about your Constitution? I grew up in Australia, and we have our own Constitution....unless you're studying law or politics, no one discusses it...it's not something that /anyone/ really obsesses over. I'm sure we have a few, but apart from studying how it came about, and 25-odd referendums, what is there to talk about? I have never heard of another country be so obsessed over their Constitution :/
  • Judy La 2011/01/27 05:56:17
    Judy
    It is obvious that you are not an American because you did not understand how we feel about our flag and our soldiers. It makes no difference what you added because it has nothing to do with the us and our flag and our president and our soldiers. That was the point of this post, which you obviously missed.
  • ThomasSnouffer 2010/12/11 14:06:25
    ThomasSnouffer
    +7
  • Judy ThomasS... 2010/12/13 02:09:45
    Judy
    +2
    Amen, can you see Obama doing anything like this hero did? NO WAY!!!!
  • GANGA~Patriotic Revolution ... 2010/12/11 13:20:03
    GANGA~Patriotic Revolution BL-100+
    +6
    Indeed!
  • robertwnielsen 2010/12/11 12:54:01
    robertwnielsen
    +5
    And why should he not? He is, after all, the leader of the United States, why shouldn't he salute the flag?
  • The Electrician 2010/12/11 11:42:07
    I don't care if he does or not
    The Electrician
    +2
    Hasn't anyone got anything better to do, his staff informs him of the proper protocol. What next, he doesn't walk properly. At least his arms don't swing erratically, characteristic of "drug addicts" like the last President, the one that allowed the country to be "driven into ditch."
  • Judy The Ele... 2010/12/11 11:44:02
    Judy
    +7
    Why don't you have a problem with him saluting the flag or in honor of a medal of honor recipient? Putting politics aside, don't you see a problem with this? I don't get it. Why would any American not see this is a problem?
  • The Ele... Judy 2010/12/12 12:06:32
    The Electrician
    Because I'm an open minded American and don't look to find fault in childish issues. These are are "talking points" use to further 'DEMONIZE" a very good person and he's the President. "Poking fun" is one thing, but demonizing a perfectly respectable person, based on personal political biased views.... well it's not fair, actually it's dispicable.
  • Judy The Ele... 2010/12/13 02:16:05
    Judy
    +2
    This is far from being childish issues. It shows the man's character. Yes, you are correct, many on the right do look for things to demonize Obama but you can''t posibly believe what you said. Unless you grew up in the 70's and 80's instead of earlier, you would know why the flag is important to an American. You would know why it deserves respect and to honor the sacrifices that go with the flag, along with the price that paid for our freedom. Bec you don't see the respect of the flag, the reason to pledge allegiance, the reason to salute rank in the military...especially one who is a hero...you just don't deserve any more attention. I think you know the answers to the points I just made but you enjoy the argument. At least I pray that's the reason you are so void of understanding on this point.
  • The Ele... Judy 2010/12/13 02:27:16
    The Electrician
    Check my profile.
  • GANGA~P... The Ele... 2010/12/11 13:15:28
  • La GANGA~P... 2010/12/11 15:07:35
    La
    <.< Is that supposed to be Obama?
  • GANGA~P... La 2010/12/11 15:14:30
  • pamela La 2010/12/11 19:04:08
    pamela
    +2
    Sure looks like him, to me. Mr. dopehead.

2014/08/31 03:52:14