Do You Think The Jobless Deserve Extended Unemployment Benefits?

The Big Question 2010/06/25 05:35:45

• kayder1 2010/07/09 00:26:33
    kayder1
    +2
    I've worked for over 41 years, this is the first time ever unemployer.My unemployment ran out after a year.
    Where is all the money my employer paid in all those years on my behalf?
    Going to illegal aliens ?????

• Ericka 2010/07/10 18:38:39
    Ericka
    +1
    The question is not whether they "deserve" extended benefits so much as that they Need them. However, people cannot Receive unemployment without having first worked and paid their taxes - and put money into the "system" - in the first place....so Yes.

Legislative foot dragging has caused not only the original problems, but also compounded them and created more problems. People worked hard to be good citizens and feed their families. They Need unemployment to be extended And Deserve It.
  • sheryl Ericka 2010/07/17 17:53:42
    sheryl
    +2
    They should do what they did during the depression and put people to work for the gov. I had to take a part time job for 300./wk. If Obama wanted this passed, he would get it through just like all the other bills that he pushed through without a majority. What about the billions he spent on all the useless projects that created only a few jobs (stimulus) He is pitting people against each other.
  • kayder1 2010/07/09 00:26:33
    kayder1
    +2
    Going to illegal aliens ?????
  • V370307 2010/07/01 15:18:08
    V370307
    I am near retirement age and have put in a lot of applications and no one has contacted me as of yet for an interview!
  • TheNightFly 2010/06/27 17:31:54 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    +1
    Of course this goes against every fiber of my being because I'm a free-market capitalist. But, instead of a free market, we have a mixed market. Instead of capitalism, we have monopolism- i.e. the patent system. And instead of cottage industry, we have an unsustainable credit industry creating artificial prosperity.

Because the economy is so heavily regulated and taxed, there aren't nearly as many jobs as there should be and most people can't afford to comply with all the unnecessary rules necessary to employ themselves. As long as our elected officials continue to support this feign market, where 80% of all goods are sold by the top 1% largest businesses, people should get whatever the hell they need for as long as they're unemployed and regardless of why. That means public housing, public insurance, reliable public transportation, and money for food, clothing, and utilities. I mean, if we're going to throw all common sense out the window, why worry about the glass?
  • captkirk999 2010/06/26 13:31:21
    captkirk999
    I was once on umemployment. Sometimes it is hard to find a job.
  • staroftheworld 2010/06/26 11:57:23
    staroftheworld
  • Dave In Cali 2010/06/25 17:21:21
    Dave In Cali
    I voted 'yes', because it's not really a black & white issue. There are times when folks do deserve extended benefits and times when they don't...
  • santa6642 2010/06/25 13:03:51
    santa6642
    It fosters a false sense of security and dependence
  • captkir... santa6642 2010/06/26 13:32:06
    captkirk999
    +1
    the benefits are regulated. You have to show you are looking for a job to get them
  • Blueskies santa6642 2010/06/26 21:04:33 (edited)
    Blueskies
    +1
    Are you aware that by bank policy millions are to be always left unemployed? It reduces iflationary pressures.

The Bankers figure their job is to keep the value of the dollar stable while not imoacting on profits.

The social side effects of millions beign always left unemployed, or going back and forth begtween transient jobs, is not their problem.

I think somebody should organise all the homeless in the USA and provide them shelters along Wall Street, they can hunker down alonside the people who create and force them to live like that.

"natural rate of unemployment,".

.... prefer to use the euphemism "NAIRU," which stands for Non-Accelerating Inflation Rate of Unemployment.

As one might expect, the natural rate of unemployment is not without controversy. .... A few important dissidents include John Kenneth Galbraith and Robert Eisner, both past Presidents of the American Economics Association. A much more widespread controversy, though, is where to peg the natural rate. Nearly all economists agree that it is not a fixed figure, but that it can float. Galbraith, tongue firmly in cheek, writes:
    "That 6 percent consensus is easily explained: it's where the actual unemployment rate is...

And this debate has a political cast as well:
    conservatives like a high NAI...

"natural rate of unemployment,".

conservatives like a high NAIRU, liberals, a low one.
    When it's high, interest on bonds pay more, thanks to low inflation.
    Conservatives like that because most bond-holders are wealthy.
    Furthermore, when the unemployment rate is high, wages tend to fall, in accordance with the laws of supply and demand on the labor market.
    Exploiting labor, as they say, is profitable business.
    The current Fed chairman, just like Paul Volcker the previous chairman, Alan Greenspan, is a died-in-the-wool conservative and a self-described "inflation hawk," meaning that he is committed to a high NAIRU.
    Since 1975 Federal reserve poicy of always maintaining high unemploymet has resiulted in a 20% decrease in working class wages and the creation of a permenant class of homeless poor.
    And fantastic profits for banks.

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo...
  • hunter 44 santa6642 2010/06/27 01:40:20
    hunter 44
    +1
    Really?!

I have been employed full time for over 25 years during which unemployment was paid on my behalf. I ask you where those funds went now that I need them? Probaly the same route as SS.
  • mm853 2010/06/25 11:27:16 (edited)
    mm853
    +1
    Extending unemployment benefits is the right thing to do. The pittance that people get on unemployment is not enough to be a disincentive for them to look for work. But it is enough to stimulate the economy.

Even if the economic benefits weren't there, it would be worth it. Without these benefits millions of Americans will sustain long term damage to their personal financial health. It is the human thing to do.

You burden this question with weird values overtones by using the word "deserve." I think many Americans have a pretty warped sense of what they deserve, and most deserve nothing (or alternatively -- deserve everything they get).
  • SonofSp... mm853 2010/06/27 06:19:52
    SonofSpermcube
    Money given to the poor is a greater immediate stimulus to the economy than money going to the wealthy. That money all gets spent. When you don't have enough money to make ends meet, your savings rate is zero. Velocity of money.

Public works jobs programs would work almost as well, though, and might leave us infrastructure to show for it after this mess is (haha) over.
  • Mark 2010/06/25 09:43:14
    Mark
    The welfare system does need an overhaul. Get the illegal aliens and druggies off of welfare, for example. If you have to take the druggy's kids away, that's better for the kids. Even a crappy adoption system like we have is better than living with someone who is out of their mind.
    +1
    HELL YES!!!! What gets me is that they yammer on about "the ecconomy has to recover..." Well, that's all fine, but HOW is it going to "recover" When NOBODY HAS F***ING JOB?
  • DaveGilletteJr 2010/06/25 06:22:22
  • Lady Wh... DaveGil... 2010/06/25 09:31:21
    I HEAR YA HUNNY
  • thє вluє wαndєrєr 2010/06/25 05:58:26
  • Conservative in California 2010/06/25 05:54:38
    Conservative in California
    "Deserve?" As in a right? No.

Life, liberty, and pursuit of property.
  • Mark Conserv... 2010/06/25 09:41:35
    Mark
    +2
    Says the man so wealthy he can't even fathom someone living paycheck to paycheck.
  • Conserv... Mark 2010/07/15 22:59:25
    Conservative in California
    99 weeks is more than enough...nice wealth envy and class warfare.
  • Mark Conserv... 2010/07/16 11:22:14
    Mark
    99 weeks is only in certain places. It's not what everyone was able to get. Not only that, I doubt you worked hard for your money, anyway. I bet you were given your car, or had it at least partially paid, by someone. Then, someone helped pay for your schooling. Finally, someone helped get you your job. Most people don't have the luxuries you live under.
  • Conserv... Mark 2010/07/17 01:51:50
    Conservative in California
    Americans need jobs, not welfare. Not to mention it's not paid for and only adds to the debt, which means future inflation and higher interest rates which will cause the next recession or depression.
  • Mark Conserv... 2010/07/18 07:05:24
    Mark
    That's all well and good, but who's creating jobs? No one! Not only that, but states getting the money to create jobs have only created temporary jobs. So, that was a big waste. That money could have gone towards unemployment, or some other form of welfare instead.
  • Conserv... Mark 2010/07/18 16:34:12
    Conservative in California
    cut taxes and government and the $1.8 trillion on the sidelines held by American businesses in reserve will be used to create millions of jobs.
  • Mark Conserv... 2010/07/18 19:56:58
    Mark
    So you say now. Let's see if that's really true if the tax cuts get extended for the greedy misers. I sincerely doubt it, since all savings from taxes usually just go to the CEOs. At least, all that isn't put into investments.
  • Conserv... Mark 2010/07/18 23:23:08
    Conservative in California
    "greedy misers" create wealth, jobs, tax revenue, innovation, prosperity, and a higher standard of living for everyone.
  • captkir... Conserv... 2010/06/26 13:33:47
    captkirk999
    what happened to life liberty and the pursuit to finance the property which unemployment helps you with money until you find a job. In order to get the money you have to show them you are looking for a job.
  • rainsra... Conserv... 2010/07/12 06:44:03
    rainsrabble
    +1
    I don't have a problem with not extending unemployment as long as everyone who has been on welfare for more than 24 weeks gets cut off too.
  • Simmering Frog - PHART 2010/06/25 05:47:29
    Simmering Frog - PHART
    +1
    No. The jobless deserve a job, not a government handout.
  • Lady Wh... Simmeri... 2010/06/25 09:31:48
    I RATHER be working......
  • Mark Simmeri... 2010/06/25 09:41:02
    Mark
    I would surely prefer that, but not just a temporary or part-time job, because that still doesn't fix the problem.
  • Mark Simmeri... 2010/07/16 11:25:14
    Mark
    It's kind of funny that the ones who were lying on their forms to keep getting unemployment were those who were making over $300,000/year before they were laid off. Then, they refused to take any jobs, because they didn't pay enough. So, because of people like that, we're in a worse state of affairs than before. Thank you wealthy miscreants!
  • Gavin 2010/06/25 05:40:01
    Gavin
    because the poeple that dont take advantage of it arent on it for long so it doesent matter to them ....it's the people that take advantage of this and decide to just not work that want more money and other things
  • Mark Gavin 2010/06/25 09:40:22
    Mark
    I've been working a part-time job, and still looking for employment. This has helped extend the unemployment, but if I don't find something before it runs out, I'm not going to be able to make ends meet. So, are you going to give me a job? I don't think so, Mr. Greed.
  • Arichanzorz 2010/06/25 05:37:31
    Arichanzorz
    They should be encouraged to get a job.
  • thє вlu... Arichan... 2010/06/25 06:00:11 (edited)
  • Arichan... thє вlu... 2010/06/25 06:03:35
    Arichanzorz
    There are services, though, that don't pay you for your work, and those should be counted as jobs. As long as they're doing something productive, they should have benefits.
  • TheNigh... thє вlu... 2010/06/26 02:58:07
    TheNightFly
    Getting off the grid means using less energy, growing your own food, selling, trading or recycling your used stuff and, yes, PAYING LESS OR NO TAXES. It's the government's fault we're in this mess, screw'em!

2014/10/31 00:12:02