Do you think stay-at-home mom's job is harder than a mom who works full-time outside the home?

Clair 2008/06/07 20:31:38

• Christine 2009/07/27 19:47:28 (edited)
    yes
    Christine
    You face loneliness and no socializing with people your age. You are coving the most important job of raising the next generation to be polite and productive in our crumbling society. 24/7 Add a husband to the mix, and you have a grown child to tend to.
  • justme 2009/07/27 17:30:11
    yes
    justme
    It's very hard. 24 -7. Add an outside job & it would even be worse.
  • Tiger Annie. AMERICAN. . w... 2008/11/25 22:07:59
    yes
    Tiger Annie.  AMERICAN. . waving the flag!
    As they always said, "women's work is never done." Whether you are a working mom inside or outside the home, you deserve appreciation for what you do for your family. We all work hard!
  • Jon 2008/11/25 17:26:04
    yes
    Jon
    More time with kids, more pressure, less time to do things, including coffee breaks and filing, having to answer the phone, even when calls are screened. It's definitely harder, but more traditional. But it's better for the babies an children. they need nore parental attention until a certain age, than children who are older than them. I've heard that the time for parents to bond, so to speak, with children is until they're at 2 years old, that is, that's when it's the most important. But they really need it much longer than just then.
  • Sweetheart 2008/11/25 12:15:12
    no
    Sweetheart
    +1
    I was a stay at home mom for a while, now I'm a working mom. Have children means working hard and making sacrifices PERIOD, thats not determined by whether or not you stay home or work.
  • Lex 2008/11/25 00:12:41
    yes
    Lex
    But I'm a stay at home dad.
  • WWJD 2008/11/25 00:08:48
  • redneck woman 2008/11/24 23:25:35
    no
    redneck woman
    +1
    My husband & I both work different shifts. I work 1st & he works 2nd. I work anywhere from 8 to 10 hrs a day depending on demand. Then I go home, help my son with his homework, cook, take my hubby dinner at work, get back home & clean. Not to mention getting the kids their showers & get their teeth brushed, & get everything ready for the next day. I usually only get 4 to 5 hrs of sleep on any given night. So I think out of all, single working mothers have it the hardest.
  • curlysue -"In God We Trust" 2008/11/14 05:56:54
    yes
    curlysue -"In God We Trust"
    I am a stay at home mom now and it is definatly harder than public working. Atleast it is for me.
  • *Jynx* 2008/10/30 19:51:41
    yes
    *Jynx*
    done them both and being a stay at home mom is much more challenging (currantly doing it)
  • Qit el-Remel 2008/08/31 08:00:50
    no
    Qit el-Remel
    Provided there's a responsible second parent, they're probably equally difficult.
  • cronewinter 2008/07/29 09:05:59
    no
    cronewinter
    +1
    because a mom that works out still has the same amount of at home work as anyone else. she has in effect 2 jobs
  • mk, Smartass Oracle 2008/07/28 19:28:16
  • Autrey25 2008/07/17 19:14:47
    no
    Autrey25
    +1
    No I have done both and staying at home is not harder, but can be challenging also. It depends on the situation. I worked and had kids also.
    Only a few years was I able to be at home with them. Both were very difficult. And here I am again with a 7 year old and now my husband stays home and helps take care of her. But she wants my attention as soon as I open the door. I love kids but it is hard.
  • Nicole 2008/06/08 15:05:30
    no
    Nicole
    +1
    No the working mom has double the work.
    I know from experience.
  • Ed© 2008/06/08 01:57:33
    yes
    Ed©
    A poll 2 years ago said its 3 times as hard as any full time job
  • Xuvy Ed© 2008/11/25 18:57:29
    Xuvy
    then how hard is it to be a working Mom? A single parent any studies on that?
  • chilton~T~ 2008/06/07 22:39:25
    yes
    chilton~T~
    I think so and I did it both ways.
    The advantage with working outside is adult companionship, personal achievement and monetary rewards.
    At home moms see the rewards more as the kids are older (the benefit of lots of parent/child time together.)
    They get to enjoy the time with their kids but the lack of adult interaction is tough. Plus so few people seem to respect the job of 'stay at home mom.'
  • Faith ~American Patriot~ 2008/06/07 21:30:45
    no
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    +1
    They are both hard. When a mom works out of the home, she gets a little 'me' time. It may just be a quick cup of coffee, it may just be a bathroom break, it may even just be the quiet drive in the car, it is still a break. However, after a long day at work, they still have to go home and work some more.
    Stay at home moms don't really get a break, they day is full of screaming, lunches, snacks, fights, cleaning, laundry..... And it doesn't end until the kids are in bed, and the house is clean again.
    Both are hard, and both are incredibly important.
  • carri b... Faith ~... 2009/07/27 17:40:26
    carri byers
    I agree with most of your sentiment except for the last line. Both are hard, but parenting is by far more important than working outside the home.

Nothing is more important, not only in the eyes of God, but to the future of civilization, than a mother being with her children in their early, formative years to see to it they have the nurturing and attention upon which all children thrive.

Having said that, full disclosure - I am a working mom and have been since my children were born. My kids are now 18 and 14 and they are good students, successful and well-rounded (I've been told this by many people so it's not just my biases talking here). So...can a working mom still be a successful mother - yes! But it takes going an extra mile or 2 or 3 to get it done.
  • Faith ~... carri b... 2009/07/28 02:10:09
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    There is no way to give children a home to thrive in without someone working outside of the home.
  • carri b... Faith ~... 2009/07/28 17:18:22
    carri byers
    Very true!! But both mom and dad don't have to be outside the home.

I know, I will get all kinds of remarks saying that sometimes there is no choice, but I have seen enough examples of families who have done it, barely eeking a living, but feeling so strongly that the children needing someone in home at all times they were willing to sacrifice to make it happen.

I would dearly love to say that we were that strong...we weren't...and we still managed to raise good children. But with the world becoming more and more scary, I don't think that's really an option anymore.
  • Faith ~... carri b... 2009/07/29 16:34:06
    Faith ~American Patriot~
    I do work from home, but my husband makes the majority of our income. As soon as our daughter starts school I might go back to work. I DO think it's important for there to be a parent home every day when the kids get home from school though.
  • carri b... Faith ~... 2009/07/29 16:49:41
    carri byers
    +1
    That's great Faith. Sounds like your children are well on their way to being great adults too.
  • mentonemommyisgoingtofacebook 2008/06/07 21:29:19
    no
    mentonemommyisgoingtofacebook
    +1
    I am a stay at home Mom and I would have to say no. I can't imagine having to go to work along with everything at home. The only thing I would say makes going to work easier would be the social interaction with other people. I love my kids but some days I would KILL to have another adult to talk to.
  • MadHatter 2008/06/07 21:21:28
  • kmay 2008/06/07 20:40:15
    yes
    kmay
    +1
    and more rewarding in the long run!
  • Mel 2008/06/07 20:34:19
    no
    Mel
    +1
    Not only is it harder to be in an office, but it would be hard to be away from your kids.
  • Cass.♥M♥ 2008/06/07 20:32:56
    no
    Cass.♥M♥
    +2
    i think they are both just as hard and just as importanat.

2014/11/25 20:51:53