Do you think Stand Your Ground laws are a good thing?

ABC News U.S. 2013/07/11 16:00:00
The end is finally in sight for the George Zimmerman murder trial. As soon as Friday, the jury will begin to answer the key question: Was Zimmerman’s shooting of Trayvon Martin murder or self-defense?

Zimmerman claims he shot Martin in self-defense as Martin repeatedly banged his head against the pavement and reached for Zimmerman’s gun. The case has sparked debate about Stand Your Ground laws, which some states — including Florida — have passed to increase legal protection of those who are judged to have killed in self-defense. (Zimmerman waived his right to a pretrial hearing to have a judge decide if he should be granted immunity under Stand Your Ground, and his defense has not invoked it at trial.)

The debate often boils down to whether these laws protect citizens and cut crime or increase a shoot-first, vigilante mentality.

What do you think? Chime in below, and watch the full story on “20/20: A Shot in the Dark” Friday at 10 ET.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/07/do-y...

• jujunme 2013/08/19 03:57:50
    No.
    jujunme
    Absolutely not, it's more like a license to kill and George Zimmernan not only knew all about that law but used it to first pursue than confront and ultimately kill Trayvon Martin.
  • Jeremy ... jujunme 2013/08/19 14:15:11
    Jeremy Tucker
    +1
    GZ didn't used stand your ground it has no relevance in his case. Stand your ground gives people the ability to protect persons and property without have to flee. No stand your ground laws do nothing but help the criminals.
  • jujunme Jeremy ... 2013/08/20 01:41:19
    jujunme
    His decision not to use SYG was made much later in the case. He was very aware of Florida's law when he pursued Trayvon Martin
    You are entitled to your opinion but, i still think it's a terrible law, there is nothing wrong with self defense but, the SYG law goes much too far.
  • Keeping It Real 2013/08/08 12:13:09
  • CommieHunter - AFCL- PWCM 2013/07/31 06:56:14
    Yes.
    CommieHunter - AFCL- PWCM
    Funny that you put 2 pictures of George Zimmerman in this thread, when you never bothered to research (or even notice from the many news broadcasts from competing networks) that George Zimmerman waived his right to "Stand Your Ground Law at his prelimary hearing weeks ago. Always Been Careless
  • ☆GrayBeard☆ ~PWCM~JLA~ 2013/07/30 16:53:51 (edited)
    Yes.
    ☆GrayBeard☆ ~PWCM~JLA~
    +1
    I never watch ABC (All Barak Channel). Don't feel bad, though; I don't watch TV at all - turns your brains to jello, way too much propaganda.

edit: The not guilty verdict was the correct decision. Anything else would've made the trial nothing more than the same thing as the show trials in the Soviet Union.
  • Shylee 2013/07/24 18:37:13
    No.
    Shylee
  • elijahin24 2013/07/18 16:29:04
    No.
    elijahin24
    +1
    They serve no purpose but to institute vigil-ante justice. There is no point in having police or a criminal court system in Florida now.
  • askmike elijahin24 2013/07/18 18:58:17
    askmike
    Florida's Stand Your Ground law was introduced at the urging of the NRA. Jeb signed it into law in 2005. During hearings on the bill several chiefs of law enforcement agencies in Florida testified the bill was a bad bill. Several DAs from counties in Florida also testified the bill would be the beginning of stupid shootings by stupid people who picked fights with others they had no chance of beating, so they would fire away and claim they feared for their lives.
  • elijahin24 askmike 2013/07/19 11:34:36
    elijahin24
    +1
    Yup. Because when I want to protect the public, I ALWAYS want the input of the douchebags who think EVERYONE should have a gun.
    (please inform the poster of this comment if his sarcasm was not self-evident)
  • askmike elijahin24 2013/07/19 14:28:54
    askmike
    Florida's Stand Your Ground law is enabling bullies to live life in a video game.
  • elijahin24 askmike 2013/07/19 14:30:51
    elijahin24
    Pretty much.
  • lin sugar lips 2013/07/18 16:24:40
    Yes.
    lin sugar lips
    +1
    Yes and No like many laws there are those who will abuse it.
    I do believe that we all have the right to defend ourselves in what ever means we have.
    Zimmerman defended himself from a kid who was on pot and was bashing his head into the ground.
  • Pirate PJ lin sug... 2013/07/25 16:58:50
    Pirate PJ
    +3
    Can you believe little old me got blocked by ABC, lol...tagging on you gf :)
    Americans have the right to protect themselves, their family and what belongs to them, period!!!
    tag
    nice
    bill of rights
    so true
    facts
    ANYONE THAT THINKS ITS OKAY TO GIVE CRIMINALS WANT EVER THEY WANT ARE NUTS!!!
    love this
  • lin sug... Pirate PJ 2013/07/30 19:50:39
    lin sugar lips
    +1
    I agree sweet cheeks I carry and I will use if anyone threatens me or my family.
  • Pirate PJ lin sug... 2013/07/31 16:18:51
    Pirate PJ
    That is the way it should....unlike biden who says go outside and shoot the sky...yeah that will scare them, what a moron!
    joe biden shoot the sky
  • lin sug... Pirate PJ 2013/08/01 13:01:14
    lin sugar lips
    +1
    Biden all comedians love him because he gives them so many funny lines. Of course Biden the idiot told people to do something illegal ...but then what does that fool know???
  • Pirate PJ lin sug... 2013/08/13 16:27:43
    Pirate PJ
    +1
    funny thing is.....he might run for the Presidential bid in 2016, lmfao!!!
    We can only hope :)
  • lin sug... Pirate PJ 2013/08/14 19:42:45
    lin sugar lips
    +1
    Not to worry if Biden decides to run he will trip over his tongue and kill himself....
  • Soundstorm 2013/07/18 00:22:58
    Yes.
    Soundstorm
    +1
    It's our right as free men. We need nobody's permission to defend ourselves. We're not sheep to be protected by government against the wolves in our neighborhoods. Every criticism of Stand Your Ground that I've seen twists its meaning to making self defense an act of aggression. That's the insanity of taking the wolves' side against the sheep.
  • askmike Soundstorm 2013/07/18 01:31:43
    askmike
    I see. Perhaps you can explain to us on SH why Florida found it necessary to enact their Stand Your Ground bill in 2005. I mean, if you are correct, it was a waste of their time.
  • Soundstorm askmike 2013/07/18 05:52:15
    Soundstorm
    +1
    Opposing government attempts to outlaw our right to self defense is never a waste of time. Unless you're a domesticated breed housebroken by the politically correct establishment who feels safe and protected by others.
  • askmike Soundstorm 2013/07/18 13:44:39
    askmike
    Pardon me. "We need nobody's permission to defend ourselves." You wrote that. You also avoided my question by posting an inane response that had zero relation to the question. If we need nobody's permission to defend ourselves why do legislatures, like the legislature in Florida, waste time enacting laws that allow us to defend ourselves without legal sanctions?
  • Soundstorm askmike 2013/07/22 08:53:45 (edited)
    Soundstorm
    +1
    Because so many in government strive to take away our rights to self defense. They rather we all hide under the bed and pray the police won't take too long to get to us. Pardon me if I will answer any way I please.
  • askmike Soundstorm 2013/07/22 13:15:27
    askmike
    You can answer any way you please. Just now you refused to explain your nonsense, with proves you have no basis for making your original claim. Florida and other states enacted laws that permit things such as Stand Your Ground because government previously did not permit such actions. You claim is false.
  • Soundstorm askmike 2013/07/22 23:59:34
    Soundstorm
    I explained myself clearly enough for an adult to understand. You're just too immature and intellectually domesticated to process my answers.
    I never said government didn't permit the right to self defense. Only that it was threatened by politicians and liability lawyers.
  • askmike Soundstorm 2013/07/23 02:07:14
    askmike
    "We need nobody's permission to defend ourselves." You wrote it and I am quoting you. Word for word. If indeed your claim was correct, kindly explain why it has been necessary for attorneys, acting as state legislatures, to enact laws that does give people permission to defend themselves. "Because so many in government strive to take away our rights to self defense." You wrote it and I am quoting you. Word for word. The fact that governments have strived to give you rights to self defense blows your claim all to hell.
  • DeathByPartisanship 2013/07/17 17:54:47
    Yes.
    DeathByPartisanship
    +1
    It's hard to stand your ground when your getting your head bashed into pavement. So IMO this is not a stand your ground case. I'm pretty sure the court feels that way too.
  • elijahin24 DeathBy... 2013/07/18 16:30:30
    elijahin24
    His head would never have been near the pavement if he had followed the instructions of the 911 opperator, and stayed in the car.
  • DeathBy... elijahin24 2013/07/18 17:34:54
    DeathByPartisanship
    He was already outside of the car when they asked him not to follow Trayvon. Apparently this is when he began walking back to his car and was attacked by Trayvon.
  • elijahin24 DeathBy... 2013/07/19 11:36:45
    elijahin24
    +1
    "Apparently" my ass! There was NO indication, either on the 911 tape, or in Zimmermans account of the events that he EVER made any attempt to return to his car. You can twist the truth as much as you want to make him seem like HE was not the aggressor; but deep inside you know he was.
  • DeathBy... elijahin24 2013/07/19 13:51:32
    DeathByPartisanship
    What are you talking about? It's pretty clear in Zimmerman's account that he was walking back to his car. Have you seen it?
  • elijahin24 DeathBy... 2013/07/19 14:31:15 (edited)
    elijahin24
    Which account? He told 3 different stories, and told NONE of them to the jury.
  • DeathBy... elijahin24 2013/07/19 20:39:58
  • elijahin24 DeathBy... 2013/07/21 20:29:38
    elijahin24
    +1
    Oh, that one. Well I'm sure to believe THIS account, over the other two he gave which contradict this one. This man is a liar, and I don't believe ANYTHING he says. Ironically, dishonesty is not the worst of his traits.
  • DeathBy... elijahin24 2013/07/21 21:01:55
    DeathByPartisanship
    I mean I don't necessarily trust Zimmerman's word, but given the evidence in the case, I don't think the acquittal was outrageous. End of the day I have no knowledge of who initiated the attack, but still think Stand Your Ground isn't relevant in this case.
  • elijahin24 DeathBy... 2013/07/22 18:43:45
    elijahin24
    You can't pick a fight (even if you didn't throw the first punch), and use that as an excuse to shoot someone. That's just wild-west justice.
  • Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F 2013/07/17 17:50:07
    Yes.
    Aqua Surf BTO-t-BCRA-F
    +2
    It's a damn shame we need laws just to defend ourselves; self defense should be a given.
  • elijahin24 Aqua Su... 2013/07/18 16:31:00
    elijahin24
    What about Trayvon Martins right to defend HIMself?
  • JDH 2013/07/17 17:23:06
    Yes.
    JDH
    +1
    Absolutely, the law used to require that you flee or prove you attempted to. That was ridiculous and had a lot of people getting criminal records for defending themselves and their families. It a person attacks you then it is your right to stand your ground and defend your self.

2014/10/25 00:52:08