Do You Think Republicans Will Straighten Out the Federal Government?

DC Pundit 2010/10/30 11:00:00
This has felt like the longest political campaign ever, and it's only the midterms. Days after next week's elections, politicians and their cronies will gear up for 2012.

But now it's the Republicans turn. They will have the opportunity to slow the taxpayer-drain train. Some have noted that I'm not exactly the most enthusiastic conservative. They're right. Why? Because I've been here before. As in earlier this decade.

What did I get for my pains? A bloated federal government, growing deficits, unfunded health mandates (Medicare prescription drugs anyone?), politicians lining their pockets or bringing pork back home to their districts. So what will I get now?

Let's hope that the GOP will stop being the Party of No. There are times for Republicans to say no, mind you. When it comes to increasing federal government's role in our lives. When it comes to denying us rights based on some vague threat. Or when it comes to growing government bureaucracy and increasing taxes.

But now we need to be the Party of Yes and Do. The Tea Party and other Conservatives have, mostly, focused on the economy and the growth of government. And rightly, I believe. This is why they will have such a big role in the coming two years, and why Democrats are likely to lose the House.

Liberals could barely contain themselves when they took over. It was like an early Christmas party that taxpayers were paying for. The problem was that it seems like every day has been a Christmas party since. Which is why they will probably be swept out of power in one chamber next week, and if they're not careful, come 2012, they'll be kicked out of power altogether.

So where does that leave the GOP? It has to remember that less is more. Believe it or not, most people just want to be left alone. We'll pay for certain services, but we want to have enough to put food on the table. We want jobs that don't disappear overseas. We want our borders to be protected with a sensible plan. We want good schools. We want to be safe.

The last time Republicans were in power, they did do some good. But those were flush times. It was easier. It's tough making hard political choices when the economy is so bleak and voter anger has swept the nation. Let's hope they are prepared to be a counterweight to the government overreach promoted by President Barack Obama and Democratic leadership.

I'm watching and hoping.

• Civic Minded 2010/10/31 19:34:32
    Civic Minded
    +41
    Most of those who are newly elected from the GOP are not going to be the same old political elites. They are going to be aware of the "business as usual" pitfalls and stand their ground. They will be like a group of people who know they are public servants and NOT entitled political elites who can do as they please.

Unfortunately, there has been so much deception from the MSM that many Democrat voters believe all the trouble started with the last president. They don't remember or realize that Clinton's administration set up the circumstances for the failed mortgages held by Fannie and Freddie. They don't realize that Clinton was given a chance to deal with Osama before he left office and let him go. The facts are not what people on the left like to pretend. They think that if they repeat lies enough that it will change the facts. Well, facts are stubborn things and they have and do come to light, thankfully, like the hoax of CO2 as a pollutant! It's been proven a hoax, yet the MSM and left ignore the facts! The GOP is our best chance to put us on the right track for a stronger economy while preserving our constitution. That's what this election is about. The left wants to destroy our constitution and turn most Americans into government slaves. Time to put a stop to this treachery!

• Unusual... TheNigh... 2010/10/30 19:55:29
    UnusualSuspect
    Sure does!
  • FleeWRA... Unusual... 2010/10/30 23:39:31
    FleeWRATH2Come!
    Thank You, Unusual Suspect! I am glad that I don't have to paint the picture any brighter for you to get it.

I am VERY Sexist! Men are men, and women are women.
    NEVER should the twain meet as some alleged & STINKING unisex!

Mark me down as even more than that! I'm VEHEMENTLY ANTI-HOMOSEXUAL AS A NATURAL TRAIT, ANTI-EVOLUTION STUPIDITY, ANTI-ACCEPT ALL BELIEFS AS OF EQUAL VALUE, ANTI-EVERYTHING THAT DISAGREES WITH JESUS, THE ONLY CHRIST, and FOR EVERYTHING THAT IS CONSISTENT WITH THIS ONLY JESUS, AND HIS GLORIOUS CHARACTER!

Am I out-of-step with this world's mold and moldy social-acceptance? Gloriously and Gratefully!
    Am I hopelessly archaic is my stand for morality and TRUTH? (John 14:6) You can bet your offensively-smelling, sulfur-soaked self that I INDEED AM! I plan to stay that way for the entirety of my lasting existence.
    Am I the kind of Christian that solidifies anti-Christians in the defiance of Christ? If I CAN do so THAT is my job. If I am incapable of this, then all the more Glorious for the new convert.

Say everything BAD that YOU (or anybody else for that matter) can think to say about me, and I will effusive embrace your condemnation of me with gratitude of my job well down...for I serve The LORD Christ, and I despise YOUR lord, Satan, from the covert of th...

Say everything BAD that YOU (or anybody else for that matter) can think to say about me, and I will effusive embrace your condemnation of me with gratitude of my job well down...for I serve The LORD Christ, and I despise YOUR lord, Satan, from the covert of the wings of my Master. (Psalm 91:1-2; Jude 9)

I will consistently RESPECT your lord for his prowess, his strength, and his experience that is so far beyond mine, I will NEVER intentionally fight him of my own strength, (Jude 9,) and you will no doubt disrespect my LORD, Christ, to your own peril. (Exodus 20:1-17; Revelation 20)

Beware! Be SAVED! (John 3:16)
  • Unusual... FleeWRA... 2010/10/31 02:45:26
    UnusualSuspect
    +1
    LOLOL....and you're also a laughable blowhard...a legend in your own mind...LOL...
  • FleeWRA... Unusual... 2010/11/01 02:55:44
    FleeWRATH2Come!
    Of course! Back at you! ;)
  • Glory FleeWRA... 2010/10/31 11:42:26
    Glory
    +1
    I agree with most of what you say...in fact all, except your delivery where is the love of Christ?
  • FleeWRA... Glory 2010/11/01 03:09:04
    FleeWRATH2Come!
    The Love of Jesus, The ONLY Christ, is dripping from every word that you read that I wrote.

What is more loving to know that the world is full of lost sinners, who are already DAMNED, positionally in their SIN, warning them,...

"YOU are going to HELL because YOU are a SINNER, just like the rest of the human race!" which results in some, who are SAVED from this terrible tragedy,...

OR...

...walking SWEETLY with them every day, still having most of them end-up being everlastingly LOST in the pits of the Devil's HELL, KNOWING that YOU NEVER fully warned them!

Time's A-Wasting!

The LORD Jesus could come to snatch HIS Church out this very day!

We don't have time to be PRETTY!

Preach Exodus 20:1-17 as the curse, the Gospel of John as the antidote, and Revelation 20 as the consequence of those, who refuse SALVATION!

THAT is the TRUTH (John 14:6) that we have to PREACH! (II Timothy 4:2)

The Gospel in a nutshell? (John 3:16 & I Corinthians 15:3-4, KJV)

"3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:"
  • Glory FleeWRA... 2010/11/01 08:55:38
    Glory
    ahh, but its love that draws people to Jesus, lost bitter souls that want what the rest of the human race does... real love, and acceptance without GOD there is no true love for GOD is love HIS very presence brings tears of joy
  • FleeWRA... TheNigh... 2010/10/30 23:38:53
    FleeWRATH2Come!
    Thank You, Nightfly! I am glad that I don't have to paint the picture any brighter for you to get it.

Say everything BAD that YOU (or anybody else for that matter) can think to say about me, and I will effusive embrace your condemnation of me with gratitude of my job well down...for I serve The LORD Christ, and I despise YOUR lord, Satan, from the covert of the wings...

Beware! Be SAVED! (John 3:16)
  • big dipper 2010/10/30 17:27:39 (edited)
    big dipper
    +4
    They screwed this up and still don't have a plan or clue of how to correct anything except for trying to beat the President. I hate to even go this direction but with all that is going wrong in America that Republicans contributed to, it seems they are hell bent on trying to prove the election of a half white/half black man as our President is at the foundation of all our problems. I find this to be troubling in our democracy and a sad statement on the condition of a once great political party.
  • Cognito22 big dipper 2010/10/30 17:58:52 (edited)
    Cognito22
    Oh crap . . . haven't we played the race card enough already?
    That card, like our national debt, is overdrawn and bankrupt . . . it's been used up.
    Give it a f%#@*g rest . . . will you?

Sorry to burst your little bubble that you call your life but PEOPLE REALLY DON'T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT RACE.
    They're out looking for a job.
    It's NOT all about race. OK?
    So find something else to 'be hatin' on' . . . try the Tea Party (everybody else is) . . . or the Republicans . . . or big business . . . or SpongeBob Square Pants . . .
  • big dipper Cognito22 2010/10/30 18:34:48 (edited)
    big dipper
    +3
    It isn't about race but about their focus. We have two wars, low jobs, high unemployment, an economy that is on the brink, debt up to our ears, North Korea, Iran, immigrant reform, and so on and the number one thing on Mitch McConnell list to do is make President Obama a one term PRESIDENT!! He not fixing anything and has no plans to do anything. With all due respect, doesn't that bother you!! Making President Obama a one term President is not going to solve a thing. You folks prove my point, you jump on this race issue and are not looking at the obvious 800 pound elephant in the room. It is sad and what is even sadder is part of it is still about race. But it isn't coming from my end, it is white America that has lost its mind because a mixed non WASP male is President of the most powerful country in the world!

Please read!

http://www.villagevoice.com/2...

Click here: White America Has Lost Its Mind - Page 1 - News - New York - Village Voice
  • Cognito22 big dipper 2010/10/30 18:46:29
    Cognito22
    See my post below.
  • checkunin big dipper 2010/10/30 18:28:20
    checkunin
    I can't believe anyone is still thinking this has anything to do with race. Even saying that it is a turn-off to most people. If you'll notice, all races [people] are concerned about the way this administration is going. For example: do you think that having no raises in SSI for senior citizens for two years effects only white people? Do you think cuts to Medicare and Medicaid only effect white seniors? Do you think dumping generations of debt, and loss of freedom are just 'white' issues? Believe me..... if socialism (and that IS what it is) is allowed to take over the United States, it will hit all races equally as hard.
  • big dipper checkunin 2010/10/30 18:36:14
    big dipper
    Same to you read above!!
  • Ellen H checkunin 2010/11/16 17:08:55 (edited)
    Ellen H
    Time for Africa pay the third and forth generations people of color they sold, Time to make Africa pay the Jews for the centuries Africa sold the Jews. My sweet neighbor an elderly woman of color has $529 month sub-starvation Social Security "No cost of living increase Social Security" She is homeless and living with her daughter. SHE says "Muslims want to kill-off elderly blacks in America, we too well remember who sold our grandmothers" Her grandmother was sold by black chieftans. Black elderly murdered *Chicago by black Muslim gangs "Reclaiming for Allah"
  • Glory big dipper 2010/10/31 11:47:05
    Glory
    oh man, another racist, I don't care if the president is purple, green, half orange and all oompa loompa, IF hes doing a good job.... this president is ruining our country....RUINING IT, and hes a liar and a fool, that talks out of both sides of his mouth from a teleprompter
  • cdubya 2010/10/30 17:26:22
    cdubya
    +1
    The ONLY thing that will straighten out this government is LESS government. With the republicans, we have a chance. A slim one, but still a chance.
  • TheNigh... cdubya 2010/10/30 20:01:19 (edited)
    TheNightFly
    Well, you're right about smaller government but, that's never going to happen as long as we have a couple of special interest groups running Congress. The only thing that will ever force the government to shrink and straighten out is to eliminate the income tax system and replace it with a national consumption tax. That would all but eliminate deficit and pork barrel spending by eliminating the collateral that Congress uses to borrow on the credit of the US.

But Republicans and Democrats both depend on income taxes and unlimited deficit spending to finance their special projects and backroom deals. So none of them have any intention of changing that.

We need to elect independents who support tax reform and have no ties or obligations to anyone but their constituents.
  • cdubya TheNigh... 2010/10/31 13:39:36
    cdubya
    good thoughts, but independents are not the answer. Republicans or Libertarians would accomplish the small gov thingy faster if only republicans adhered to their party platform. People of integrity would reduce government. I agree on the tax though. the income tax appears to be created to only provide loopholes and punishment.
  • 9th of 9 2010/10/30 17:14:22
    9th of 9
    +1
    The "people" have taken all they're going to take from washington. From now on YOUR JOBS ARE NOT SAFE!

We will be checking on all of you.
  • Claude Rothman 2010/10/30 17:12:08
    Claude Rothman
    +3
    Republicans prevented the Democrats' government to govern, I do not see why they would do better now.
  • Cognito22 Claude ... 2010/10/30 17:32:06 (edited)
    Cognito22
    +1
    Well they tried but the Democrats still
    - spent us into bankruptcy,
    - passed a Health Care bill that
    - the majority of Americans did not want and even more that did not ask for.
    . - will increase the cost of health insurance,
    . - will provide poorer quality care,
    . - puts the gov't in a position to allocate health care based on the whims of a bureaucracy
    . - can be used to wield power over the American people and any political opposition.
    (gov't workers are unionized Democrats)

But they stopped Cap and Tax . . .
    so the gov't can't allocate (control who gets how much) energy

You lost control over your health care but kept your ability to use the energy the way you want. (thermostat control, no gasoline rationing, mandatory upgrades to house, etc)
  • checkunin Claude ... 2010/10/30 18:35:57
    checkunin
    Since 2007, the Democrats have not needed the Republicans to help pass anything they wanted passed. They have had a clear majority in both the House and the Senate and a president eager to sign anything they put in front of him. If you would remember, the last two yeas of the Bush administration, after the House and Senate gained control, they served as obstructionist's and refused to work with the Rebublicans. The mess we have since this majority has been in power belongs to the ones who made the mess.
  • Lady Wh... Claude ... 2010/10/30 21:32:19
    SO agree
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2010/10/30 17:02:59
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +2
    PARTY OF UNDO, CAN'T DO, WON'T DO
  • Mr Marvin 2010/10/30 17:01:12
    Mr Marvin
    +4
    Yes, but not as much straightening as needed. The liberal, elest, and socialist republicans will have to be evected in 2012. Power corrupts and great power greatly corrupts.
  • ol_cran... Mr Marvin 2010/10/30 17:21:20
    ol_crank_arm
    +1
    "In questions of power, then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Greywolf 2010/10/30 16:57:43
    Greywolf
    +6
    To be honest ..it will take years of cleaning out this sewer we call government....can only work on those currently up for reelection...and therefore we must keep their feet to the fire..making sure we get people in office who will adhear to the will of the people...a lot of work still ahead..but we need to keep our foucse on Nov 2nd 2010 ..go vote who we think will abide by the limits granted by the constitution...follow the bill of rights...protect human rights....all the while listening to the will of the people.
  • Rick fr... Greywolf 2010/10/30 18:22:00
    Rick from Overland Park
    Good comment. True, we do have to keep their feet to the fire. And like you said, a lot of work remains to be done. To begin with, pass term limits. Then, we've got to undo every law and court decision that brought us to this place. Repeal the 16th, 17th amendments, limit the 14th to its original intent, eliminate Department of Education and EPA, and put the FDA and FCC under a civilian committee elected by the people. the Fed, return coinage to the congress, remove the majority of price parities and supports, and return us to a laizez-faire economy. Unions are in principle socialistic, and need to be restructured. Civil Service workers should not have unions, as they derive their income from taxpayers, who are actually their bosses through their elected representatives.

Had we listened to Senator Joseph McCarthy years ago, we would not have as bad a problem as we have today, when we see the communist party and other marxist organizations openly working with the Democrats.

We the people need to continually remind our newly elected representatives of these things that need to be done to restore constitutionality to our government.
  • Alice 2010/10/30 16:57:36
    Alice
    +2
    There are those like Rand Paul, Anthony Tolda, etc. that can and WILL make a difference. Sadly, few look at the Independent candidates which are quite often the truly best choice. While more people are filtering that way, it is not enough at this point and time isn't on our side.
  • ol_cran... Alice 2010/10/30 17:25:05
    ol_crank_arm
    +1
    There's ALWAYS time! If worse comes to worse, we can always deny them the object of their avarice and covetousness with a TAX REVOLT

In America ... The People are THE Sovereign!
  • Rick from Overland Park 2010/10/30 16:57:23
    Rick from Overland Park
    +6
    They will not be enough in number to straighten out the government, so much needs to be done to do so. The Democrats have deliberately jacked up our economy so they can replace capitalism with marxism.
  • Cognito22 Rick fr... 2010/10/30 17:08:53
    Cognito22
    +3
    Yep, fundamental transformation starts with tearing down the old to build new.
    And the Socialist Democrats are tearing it down.

They'll make the government so top heavy it will fall over from lack of ability to fund a bloated government.
  • Rick fr... Cognito22 2010/10/30 18:26:24
    Rick from Overland Park
    +2
    As we now see in Europe.
  • NYAC1952 Rick fr... 2010/10/30 19:39:10
    NYAC1952
    So, what do you think the GOP will do if they gain control? Do you think things will get better or worse?

I can tell you have lived through numerous administrations and feel you would be qualified to discuss how our leadership relates to the economics of our country.
  • Dagon 2010/10/30 16:56:29
  • JustTheFacts 2010/10/30 16:55:27
    JustTheFacts
    +1
    They do not hold the highest seat in the land and will not have strong enough majorities in the Senate. They can only play defense. This will be a great question at this point in time regarding the '12 election.
  • mwg0735 2010/10/30 16:45:41
  • flaca BN-0 2010/10/30 16:43:16
    flaca BN-0
    +2
    Republicans will overturn Roe vs Wade and intrude on the lives of all women by making abortion illegal, even in cases of rape or incest.
  • JustThe... flaca BN-0 2010/10/30 16:57:10
    JustTheFacts
    +2
    Even if that were true it still beats socialized health care, horrible foreign policy, horrible economic policy, increased debt and intimidation to get ones way.

2014/09/16 09:31:48