Do You Think Racism Still Exists In The Workplace?

Futureman 2010/08/05 20:31:51
Related Topics: Racist, Racism, Police, Friend
Yes, severe racism still exists in the workplace
No, racism like this does not exist in the workplace
I think racism in the workplace....

While police are investigating the tragic shooting in Hartford, Conneticut, many are wondering if Thorton's deadly rampage at Hartford Distributors was spurred by racial tensions. In the early hours of the morning and after the shooting, Thorton reportedly left a message on his mother's answering machine.

"I killed the five racists that were bothering me," Thorton said. Thorton is also to have reportedly told friends and colleagues that racial epitaphs were scrawled on his locker. However, the owners of Hartford Distributors have no record of complaints filed by Thorton. In fact, many things may have contributed to Thorton suddenly losing it.

According to police, managers confronted Thorton on the day of the shooting. They showed Thorton a video of him taking beers and informed him that he would not be driving trucks any longer. It was then that Thorton walked to the companies dining area, pulled his weapon from his lunch box, and began firing.

Regardless of what ever injustice Thorton did or did not face, it does not excuse the fact that he killed eight men. However, the Christan Science Monitor reports that six of 10 incidents in the workplace are racially motivated.

Do you think overt racism like this still exists in the workplace?

Read More: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/0804/Is-racism-a...

• gracie935 2010/08/06 02:22:14
    gracie935
    +9
    There most definately is racism everywhere in the world, but this case has nothing to do with race. It is about a man getting fired for stealing and it pi$$ed him off. This playing the race card anytime a black person is busted is old and moldy now. Cry wolf too many times and no one believes you.

• Testes Jai Allen 2010/08/08 21:31:07
  • Jai Allen gracie935 2010/08/07 15:34:14
    Jai Allen
    There's a serial killer in Flint Michigan targeting black elderly men , 5 dead and 7 injured , I'm sure you have a convenient excuse for his behavior.
  • Kimberly 2010/08/06 01:05:25
    Kimberly
    +1
    yes i do believe it still it exists in the work place severe racism exists workplace exists work
  • AL Kimberly 2010/08/07 20:57:26
    AL
    Just Remember all race cards are wild now!This wasn't about race-it was about ripping off the Company he worked for and then killing his fellow inncent works for NO damn reason what so ever!
  • Kimberly AL 2010/08/08 01:29:49
    Kimberly
    yahhhh i kno tat was sadddd :(
  • AL Kimberly 2010/08/08 03:16:01
    AL
    +1
    Lets trying calling it what it really was for a change O.K.? It was indeed a pure hate crime by a killer that used race as an exccuse for the murders he committed himself!
  • g 2010/08/06 00:47:02
    I think racism in the workplace....
    g
    wherever there are humans..there will be hate. not everyone. not allways openly either.
  • Texas Johnny 2010/08/05 23:43:22
    I think racism in the workplace....
    Texas Johnny
    +1
    Racism is rare and most people are sensitive to it. My work place is filled with Hispanics, Anglos and Blacks all college educated, if any racism goes on its among the students and often time within the group itself. The lighter skinned Hispanics do put down the darker skinned ones as I have observed.
  • emma 2010/08/05 23:27:12
    emma
    I see racism at my job everyday. So this is no news to me. If you report it to HR your manager will find out and you will be fired. Just like that. They will make up stuff and you will be out the door. So that is why people don't complain at my job and no other reason other than we fear lossing our job. Boss and job you all know who you are. Let me say this "Every Dog Has Their Day"! and you all will get yours one day. Racist SOB's. It starts with the boss if they like you and you are white no matter if you can do the work or not you will be advanced and get a raise. How unfair is that?
  • I am me 2010/08/05 23:10:11
    I think racism in the workplace....
    I am me
    goes both ways... some of it is real and some of it is feigned...

Example: My husband works as an engineer and he was responsible for teaching some technicians new techniques... well this lady had asked him if she could take some materials home to practice with... he said "no. because in a non-controlled environment they would be volatile"... well she didn't listen and took them home anyway and ended up blowing up her kitchen... she came to work the next day and told him what she did... he laughed and called her an idiot, like he has the propensity to do in the face of blatant stupidity.... she went off in in a huff and marched up to HR where she accused him of calling her the N word and accused him of racism... well HR went to my husband to find out the whole story... he told them and when they asked about the name he said, "no. I didn't call her that, I called her an idiot though"... and fortunately my husband had witnesses otherwise there would have been even further investigations, but instead she was fired because she had stolen company material and it was placed in her permanent record that she falsely accused a co-worker of racism...

And besides... if there was really racism at work, then why doesn't even the union that he worked for have knowledge of this?
  • will I am me 2010/08/06 22:35:27
    will
    i'm so happy for your husband i'm giddy. rare is it that this would happen.
  • I am me will 2010/08/06 22:48:58
    I am me
    +2
    Yeah we are thankful that he had witnesses and a good HR rep... otherwise she would have won with her lies.... He was only admonished for calling her an idiot... but my husband is horribly blunt... *lol*
  • Ashley 2010/08/05 22:29:15
    I think racism in the workplace....
    Ashley
    +1
    Racism still exists everywhere the only difference with it now is that people are embarrassed by it so they keep quiet... for the most part. :D
  • Ringer Ashley 2010/08/06 23:53:10 (edited)
    Ringer
    Embarrassed because they're white and have been beaten over the head with being told their the racist ones and deserve it.

(Note: I'm sure there are some instances of white people being racist, but in the bigger picture it's gone well to the other end of the spectrum.)
  • Ashley Ringer 2010/08/07 01:39:26
    Ashley
    +1
    Well obviously, especially with black comedians lol... but I never specified white people, I said racism still exists everywhere. Anyone who is a racist should be embarrassed. :D
  • Ringer Ashley 2010/08/07 02:10:11
    Ringer
    +1
    Absolutely agree!
  • Ashley Ringer 2010/08/07 02:20:31
    Ashley
    :D
  • TasselLady 2010/08/05 22:01:17
    TasselLady
    +2
    Yes it does. But here's something else. In some places I've worked at before, if a supervisor tried to discipline a black person, they pulled the race card, and it was done to the extent to where everyone was afraid to say anything for fear they'd be sued for "racial discrimination". So you can't win, no matter what you do anymore. It's out of control. Just as racism is out of control, so are those who pull the race card and use it for an excuse to file charges and sue.
  • Ashley TasselLady 2010/08/05 22:31:51
    Ashley
    +1
    Agreed as a black person- I think it is crap and shows a lack of intelligence to pull "the race card." It belittles legitimate discrimination claims. Nowadays your racist merely for not liking/disagreeing with a person of a different color. :(
  • TasselLady Ashley 2010/08/05 22:37:46
    TasselLady
    +2
    I found out later from another supervisor that after I left, the management felt badly about how I was treated. It's amazing how they always see this stuff AFTER the fact. I'm glad I left there. AS long as that supervisor remained, I couldn't be there. There were many black people I worked with there who were just the opposite of that, and I loved them all to pieces. But it takes only one bad apple to spoil the barrel. Thankyou for your support.
  • Ashley TasselLady 2010/08/05 22:39:25
    Ashley
    NP
  • Ringer Ashley 2010/08/06 23:55:10
    Ringer
    You have no idea how much joy it brings me to know you hold this opinion. Seriously.
  • Captain Sticky 2010/08/05 21:50:59
    I think racism in the workplace....
    Captain Sticky
    +1
    In the last 50 years racism has gone from a way of life to a rarity, especially here in the South. Certain factions claim "racism!" when ever they see the opportunity as there's money to be made by doing so. Ask the "reverend" Al Sharpton.
  • GANGA~Patriotic Revolution ... 2010/08/05 21:24:33
    I think racism in the workplace....
    GANGA~Patriotic Revolution BL-100+
    +2
    He was caught STEALING! That usually means that a person is fired!!
    Even the union said that he had filed NO racial grievances and that he was a disgruntled employee.
  • DZBO 2010/08/05 21:12:46
    DZBO
    It is not just about "Black and White." Then you have your bigotry. Then the Ego gets in the way....there will always be "us and them."

Now I am a "white" woman and I think this video is GREAT!!!!

• Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum 2010/08/05 20:55:00
    I think racism in the workplace....
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    +1
    is still a problem, but I have no firsthand experience with it.
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2010/08/05 20:46:19
    I think racism in the workplace....
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +1
    Since the "workplace" is a microcosm of society, I'm sure there are racial tensions in all places of work. Killing is by no means is the remedy for it.
  • Diana Prince 2010/08/05 20:40:12
    Diana Prince
    +1
    it happens in some places, but does not excuse violence. Period.
  • tweety 2010/08/05 20:39:38
    tweety
    +2
    It is used as an excuse for committing crimes! It is used or should I say overly used! I am sick of hearing that every crime committed had some thing to do with racism! E-n-o-u-g-h!
  • Diana P... tweety 2010/08/05 20:41:50
    Diana Prince
    +1
    unfortunately I still think that racism still exists in some places, but I have to agree, whether this man was driven to this by bigotry doesn't matter. He shouldn't have done this at all and if alive should have faced the FULL penalty of the law.
  • tweety Diana P... 2010/08/05 20:48:37
    tweety
    Amen!
  • Paige_Luv 2010/08/05 20:37:25
    I think racism in the workplace....
    Paige_Luv
    +2
    is a problem in some areas. But if the shooters family, while my heart goes out to them and the victims, think that him being taunted warrants violence, I would have to say they are insanely wrong.

If anything this should teach us that non-violence is the answer when facing bigotry.
  • Vance Paige_Luv 2011/05/15 13:05:03
    Vance
    Of course. But racism in the workplace is a two way street. I know first hand.
  • travbee Paige_Luv 2012/07/21 07:32:59
    travbee
    Here are some very interesting statistics. Statistically, a name like D'shawn or Jamal would attract lower income or might even get rejected if seen on a resume! A Caucasian man with the same qualifications as an African american, earns more. So does it make sense for D'shawn to change his name to William or Jake? Here is the interesting bit. If he does so, statistically speaking, he would become a victim of racism yet again. Only this time from the African American community for trying to 'act white'. its quite a mess if we look into this subject deeply. (One more very interesting thing. The rejection factor of the name Jamal or D'shawn, is not because they convey a certain ethinicity. But because an image is formed of person coming from, most likely, a broken home, single parent, rough neighbourhood, low income group etc etc. and all of this because of his ethinicity. Hence 'they' take this person to be a non-dependable one. Now this is a new level of racism. Or shal i say a new variant of it)
  • gamerbambi 2010/08/05 20:35:16
    gamerbambi
    +1
    In some places I think that people face racism that is seriously out of hand. But that doesn't excuse violence of any kind.
  • disinter 2010/08/05 20:32:49
    disinter

2014/12/22 02:54:34