Do you think President Obama’s State of the Union speech reached across the aisle to Republicans?

Fox Report with Shepard Smith 2013/02/13 17:00:00
The president did what he had to do. He delivered a well-written, well-crafted speech that hit all the right notes and drew the appropriate applause lines. Obama advanced the agenda his has honed over the last four years in office, emphasizing equality, a strong middle class and increased spending. He called for more investment, raising taxes and only modest reform to entitlement programs. In short, he told us that we already know about his vision or America.

There were indeed the gestures towards bipartisanship lawmaking and a shift away from the brinksmanship that has paralyzed our system that we heard from Obama on the campaign trail, in his inaugural address and during the fiscal cliff negotiations. But these points fell flat when considering that there has been no genuine desire and willingness to achieve bipartisanship or to call on the Republicans for any bargain that would produce immediate legislative results from the president.

obama

Read More: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/02/13/obama-st...

• Charge 2013/02/13 18:20:05
    Charge
    +21
    He offered no specifics on any of his plans, only Spend, Spend, Spend, Tax, Tax, Tax.
    Hie own past budgets did not earn a single vote from his own party, What's changed?

• captain 2013/05/03 03:27:20
    captain
    Just his nutsac
  • broken heart 2013/04/20 10:50:43
    broken heart
    +1
    No. The only goal that he reaches is Division between the parties.
  • Broman 2013/04/11 19:35:31
    Broman
    The only thing I hate about PRESIDENT Obama's re-election is that I'll have to listen to 4 more years of crybaby right-wing-nut-jobs whining and propagandizing to their dying party...as they chase off the sensible ones.
  • Jaiheena Star 2013/04/08 23:31:34
  • Woof 2013/04/07 02:09:03
    Woof
    +2
    Bipartisan from the president is nonexistent. It's laughable if you are saying that a mere suggestion of bipartisanship is being bipartisan. Mr Obama routinely directs insulting remarks and misstatements toward the right, generally for show to his base,
    after which Obama expects the right to hand him an olive branch? Obama has never been able to curtail his tongue long enough to be bipartisan himself. It's a joke. Mr Obama has a difficult time disguising his annoyance of anyone who he dislikes. Look at his his treatment of Netanyahu over the years. He insults and misrepresents the right all the time. There is no good will from him. He'd rather beat people with the olive branch than pass it.
  • Jesse-Tired of Liberal Lunacy 2013/04/05 17:29:21 (edited)
    Jesse-Tired of Liberal Lunacy
    +3
    You're kidding , right? In fact I could caption that photo above..."Heil Comrades" (a few people might get it)
  • santa6642 2013/04/05 17:19:59
    santa6642
    +3
    That was a speech.
  • langhamkw 2013/03/03 13:30:40
    langhamkw
    +4
    Say NO to KING "O"!!!
  • AL 2013/02/27 22:06:29
    AL
    +3
    ha ha ha ha ha ha that will be the day
  • Sam 2013/02/24 04:18:53
    Sam
    +3
    Taxes and Spending. Taxes and Spending....this must be nice. I want to find the people who voted for this nut again....need i finish the sentance?
  • HAlex1972 2013/02/22 05:46:04
    Somewhat
    HAlex1972
    +3
    Actually, I have no idea because I didn't watch it. My stomach wanted to keep its contents that night.
  • Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA 2013/02/19 00:08:03
    Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA
    +6
    Same old smoke & mirrors dance.

obama animated
  • Samantha Lewis 2013/02/18 03:15:12
    Samantha Lewis
    +2
    And slapped those rascally republicans!
  • WinterLynn Samanth... 2013/02/19 20:52:33 (edited)
  • Samanth... WinterLynn 2013/02/19 23:41:12
    Samantha Lewis
    +2
    Um I only voted for him the first time not the second time so don't go all slap happy on me I did wise up.
  • WinterLynn Samanth... 2013/02/20 13:43:00
  • Samanth... WinterLynn 2013/02/21 02:30:12
    Samantha Lewis
    +2
    Hardly offended I mean I get a lot of junk for voting for him the first time but I hoped he'd change and he didn't so
  • WinterLynn Samanth... 2013/02/25 15:28:40
  • Samanth... WinterLynn 2013/02/25 18:52:18
    Samantha Lewis
    +2
    Well nothing if free anymore someone has to pay for it and demonizing the rich is not the way. The President is for all of us not just the poor that is how kings and tyrants get and keep power the boogie man syndrome. It is the other persons fault. That is how the Muslims do it against the Jews and the other religions it is their fault..
  • WinterLynn Samanth... 2013/02/25 20:45:15
  • Mrs. V 2013/02/17 03:03:07
    Mrs. V
    +7
    More division from the Divider in Chief
  • Patriot 2013/02/17 01:27:04
    Patriot
    +6
    Obama is a LIAR and a TRAITOR! He should suffer a Traitors death! Traitor
  • True~Male Patriot 2013/02/19 00:53:23
    True~Male
    +3
    So very true ...
  • ☺✌Peacebone✌☺ 2013/02/16 20:28:23
    ☺✌Peacebone✌☺
    +1
    But who cares? It's not like Republicans are willing to negotiate. Look, America, Democrats are rising and change is happening. The Republican Party is dying.
  • drdos1943 ☺✌Peace... 2013/02/16 21:13:21 (edited)
    drdos1943
    +4
    Negotiating is no longer an option with this president. It's either reduced government spending or go down the tubes. Look up the stats from the GAO and the CBO. Obama's plans are a path to total insolvency; and the Republicans, disgusting as they may be, are the only ones standing in his way to accomplish the financial demise of this country.
  • Guru_T_... drdos1943 2013/02/18 17:25:27
    Guru_T_Firefly
    +1
    He's already compromised far too often if you ask me. Now it's the Republican's turn to compromise.
  • Illumin... Guru_T_... 2013/02/18 18:56:05
    Illuminatti 37°
    +5
    LOL, what has obama compromised on and often? You accuse others of not giving facts, here you are with nothing but conjecture and hooey. But its your opinion and this is an opinion forum. Have at it. While you are at it, do some more name calling. I absolutely adore it when your bloodly ilk have to resort to profanity and name calling.
  • Guru_T_... Illumin... 2013/02/18 19:44:47 (edited)
    Guru_T_Firefly
    Bullsh*t. Obama has compromised on many, many things since he took office, but the idiotic right-wing obstruction began long before he walked into the Oval Office. So far, any name-calling done has all been yours, hypocrite. Get yourself a clue, then I won't be the only one thinking clearly.
  • Illumin... Guru_T_... 2013/02/18 19:59:51 (edited)
    Illuminatti 37°
    +2
    What names have I called you? Please list them. Read your posts if you dare, you see name calling in nearly every post you make. Which by the way, makes me laugh and laugh and laugh. It is a dead give away that you don't know how else to respond.

You are the one claiming obama has compromised on many things, you haven't listed one.

As for obstruction, the Democrats have obstructed reducing the debt, obstructed a halt to a continual increase in spending. It might do you good to visit the Left Hook website run by Dean Henderson, look up the Federal Reserve Bank articles. Then visit Senator Bernie Sanders .gov website and look up "$16 Trillion in Secret". That might give you a CLUE to the politicians and the forces behind the politicians.
  • Vader's... Illumin... 2013/02/18 20:15:03
    Vader's Lightsaber
    +1
    Do we have a deficit problem?
    Are the democrats trying to fix it?
    Are the republicans trying to fix it?
    to and extent, yes
    Are they both wrong about some stuff?
    YES
    in my opinion:
    Dem-Idealists
    Repub-Socially backwards realists
    Libertarians are the way my friends.
  • Illumin... Vader's... 2013/02/18 21:47:51
    Illuminatti 37°
    Libertarians: open borders. No thanks. They would definitely have to change that plank for me to accept their party. Not that the Democrats or Republicans are any more inclined to halt the invasion of illegal aliens.

I can agree with much of their other ideas though. They have one other that really rankles me, can't think of it at the moment.

I have absolutely no liking for the far left, nor the far right. I don't see the far right as existing in todays world, but the far left and those that would take the world there do exist, and they are active.

Socialists cannot stop themselves from wanting more and more of the people's money, I fear their insatiable lust will eventually lead to an ugly affair with communism. Their attack on the Second Amendment is a very LOUD indication they are hooked on that path.

Their vicious attacks on anyone to the right of their religious ideology shows they have embeded far left tactics into their assault. Their attempts to silence those to the right but another strong indication. Name calling and character assassination yet another.

If they destroy gun rights or restrict them to the point the Second Amendment is meaningless and of no use to the people, what next, line up the opposition and mow them down with machine guns? That appears t...

If they destroy gun rights or restrict them to the point the Second Amendment is meaningless and of no use to the people, what next, line up the opposition and mow them down with machine guns? That appears to be the plan, Homeland Security has purchased weapons and ammo, in amounts far exceeding any other possible use, are they expecting an invasion? OR are they trying to buy up all the weapons and ammo to deny the same to the people?

What follows if they can't buy all the ammo with stolen money from the taxpayer, or they are unable to get enough leftist thugs to do their killing, a tax on gun ownership so high that only the very rich can own weapons? I'm not forgetting the criminal element that will keep theirs and ignore the tax. Its an attack on the people and the Constitution either way. Of course the politicians would continue to enjoy the protection weapons provide.
  • Guru_T_... Illumin... 2013/02/18 20:18:07
    Guru_T_Firefly
    I would ask you the same question. You claimed that he hasn't compromised, yet you've given no valid proof that he hasn't. You also accused me of calling you names, but a thorough read of comments clearly shows that I haven't done so. I'm laughing at your pitiful inability to produce the very evidence that you've demanded of me.
  • Frank Illumin... 2013/02/28 22:49:53
    Frank
    +1
    Lack of knowledge people always resort to name calling.....
  • Sam Guru_T_... 2013/02/24 04:24:25
    Sam
    +1
    Compomised? Really? Obama has gotten everything he has almost asked for. Obama has no idea how to compromise.
  • Guru_T_... Sam 2013/02/24 05:36:34
    Guru_T_Firefly
    That's a complete lie. Really.
  • Sam Guru_T_... 2013/02/24 22:45:36
    Sam
    +1
    I admire you. Hula Girl told me about you. Let me give you a few examples of where he never compromised -Obamacare. Obamacare was past and is over 2,000 pages long. It was never read through and Senators of certain states were bribed to pass it. The 3 people in the White House in the Obama's office was Reid,Palosi and Obama himself.
    The Republican Leadership was never asked to come in. The door to the Oval office that night was locked. John Benard was ready to do some compromising...i know i watched this occur on c-span. Besides that people are capable to decide what health insurance to have for their own familys.
    Also the Great Beer Summit. Between 3 people. Something that could have solved outside the White House was solved with the President's involvement which was a waste of tax payer money.
    Then taxes went up..and the ceiling debt - the republicans were bullied into approving it. The debt is now up to over 16 trillion dollars thanks to Obama's spending and his vacations thanks to Michelle and the rest of their family.
    Fox News was asked never come to the White House Press thanks to the fact that Obama cannot handle confrontation. When Bush was called into question about raising the debt ceiling...what makes Obama feel so privegded not to face hard hitting questions f...

Fox News was asked never come to the White House Press thanks to the fact that Obama cannot handle confrontation. When Bush was called into question about raising the debt ceiling...what makes Obama feel so privegded not to face hard hitting questions from reporters? I guess you got to be a real kiss up to do your job as reporter.
    This next debt ceiling will the 3rd time...the republicans of course in the Senate will be bullied once again to raise it. The debt will of course eventually go up in another 2-3 months and we again will be asked to pay more taxes here in the U.S.
    And i say this with respect it will be because of people like you and those who want free things in this nation who will be responsible....for that. And in the end the unemployment rate will be much higher. Obamacare will be in full swing...and employers who hire employees will start firing their workers from the major grocery store chains such as Safeway and Walmart. Places where you go to eat will also suffer such as Taco Bell, McDonald's and such. All because of a penality under Obamacare that is set to take either this year or next. Which means we will have lower paychecks.
    So you see...the welfare receipants as well as the people who do nothing will benefit greatly from Obama. There is no way a republican could possibley compromise with a man who had his friends liberal agenda set before he got into office. This will destroy this great nation.
    A man who once hated Bush for being right wing....now is a leftist. A man who deal in being liberal when given the chance. Obama has made one grave mistake...he isn't my Savior...i don't base my choices on politics..i make them because i still have common sence left. He only cares about Black America...to speak of..he has done nothing about illegal immigration either. He is the President for the whole country not just for his own kind.
    Senator Jesse Jackson,Jr. - the main black caucus member was into using funds for inapproiate action. This should give you a good idea of how the Black Caucus feels about America. President Obama was a supporter of such men.
  • Guru_T_... Sam 2013/02/25 04:04:53
    Guru_T_Firefly
    Your first mistake is listening to anything that Hula Girl had to say. She is, shall we say, not a very reliable source if you're seeking honest, factual information. Your second mistake is in thinking that such hearsay evidence would actually make me willingly disregard the actual facts.

Obama compromised by going with the current version of the Affordable Healthcare Act when it should have been single-payer healthcare all around. That uncalled for and totally unnecessary compromise with your conservative representatives was the direct cause because the Republican opposition supported the insurance industry's right to gouge their customers/victims and then deny those same customers coverage solely on the criterion put in place by the insurance industry itself. No one was bribed and no one was forced to vote for it.

Fox News went to court for the right to lie and twist the truth. A conservative judge gave them that ability. That Fox News was never asked to the White House was (and still is) a sensible response given their propensity to lie like cheap rugs; not because President Obama doesn't like confrontation.

Jesse Jackson's actions have nothing to do with President Obama or his administration and vice-versa. Jackson alone is responsible for his own agenda and dubious actions. ...

Jesse Jackson's actions have nothing to do with President Obama or his administration and vice-versa. Jackson alone is responsible for his own agenda and dubious actions. This is an obvious attempt to inject a red herring.

Spending must occur for a government to do it's job properly. Taxation must also occur for that to happen. Taxes are lower under President Obama than at any other time in American history, with the exception of the period before income tax began and we can thank President Lincoln for having blessed us with that nightmare. Some spending must be cut, but the cuts that the Republicans want to make don't make sense and don't amount to a hill of beans when the U.S. continues to waste more tax dollars on defense than all other countries on Earth combined. Reagan raised debt ceiling 18 times and George W. Bush raised it seven times; no one bothered to complain until President Obama did it once.

http://www.factcheck.org/2011...

1. Debt Ceiling Under Barack Obama

The debt ceiling has been raised on three occasions under President Barack Obama. The debt ceiling was $11.315 trillion when the Democrat was sworn into office in January 2009 and increased by nearly $3 trillion or 26 percent by summer 2011, to $14.294 trillion.

Under Obama the debt ceiling increased:

by $789 billion to $12.104 trillion in February 2009, Obama's first year in office, under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act;
    by $290 billion to $12.394 trillion ten months later, in December 2009;
    and by $1.9 trillion to $14.294 trillion two months later, in February 2010.

2. Debt Ceiling Under George W. Bush

The debt ceiling was raised on seven occasions during President George W. Bush's two terms in office, from $5.95 trillion in 2001 to nearly double that, $11.315 trillion, in 2009 - an increase of $5.365 trillion or 90 percent.

Under Bush the debt ceiling increased:

by $450 billion to $6.4 trillion in June 2002;
    by $984 billion to $7.384 trillion 11 months later, in May 2003;
    by $800 billion to $8.184 trillion 18 months later, in November 2004;
    by $781 billion to $8.965 trillion 16 months later, in March 2006;
    by $850 billion to $9.815 trillion 18 months later, in September 2007;
    by $800 billion to $10.615 trillion 10 months later, in July 2008;
    and by $700 billion to $11.315 trillion three months later, in October 2008.

3. Debt Ceiling Under Bill Clinton

The debt ceiling was raised on four occasions during President Bill Clinton's two terms, from $4.145 trillion when he took office in 1993 to $5.95 trillion when he left the White House in 2001 - an increase of $1.805 trillion or 44 percent.

See also: National Debt Versus Federal Deficit

Under Clinton the debt ceiling increased:

by $225 billion to $4.37 trillion in April 1993;
    by $530 billion to $4.9 trillion four months later, in August 1993;
    by $600 billion to $5.5 trillion two years and seven months later, in March 1996;
    and by $450 billion to $5.95 trillion 17 months later, in August 1997.

4. Debt Ceiling Under George H.W. Bush

The debt ceiling was raised on four occasions during President George H.W. Bush's one term, from $2.8 trillion when he took office in 1989 to $4.145 trillion when he left the White House in 1993 - an increase of $1.345 trillion or 48 percent.

Under Bush the debt ceiling increased:

by $70 billion to $2.87 trillion in August 1989;
    by $252.7 billion to $3.1227 trillion three months later, in November 1989;
    by $107.3 billion to $3.23 trillion 11 months later, in October 1990;
    and by $915 billion to $4.145 trillion one month later, in November 1990.

5. Debt Ceiling Under Ronald Reagan

The debt ceiling was raised on 17 occasions under President Ronald Reagan, nearly tripling from $935.1 billion to $2.8 trillion.

Under Reagan the debt ceiling was raised to:

$985 billion in February 1981;
    $999.8 billion in September 1981;
    $1.0798 trillion September 1981;
    $1.1431 trillion in June 1982;
    $1.2902 trillion in September 1982;
    $1.389 trillion in May 1993;
    $1.49 trillion in November 1983;
    $1.52 trillion in May 1984;
    $1.573 trillion in July 1984;
    $1.8238 trillion in October 1984;
    $1.9038 trillion in November 1985;
    $2.0787 trillion in December 1985;
    $2.111 trillion in August 1986;
    $2.3 trillion in October 1986;
    $2.32 trillion in July 1987;
    $2.352 trillion in August 1987;
    and $2.8 trillion in September 1987.

You're also making the classic right-wing mistake of falsely believing that I or anyone else with an occasional liberal thought wants free stuff. That too is a red herring and is based in pure, unadulterated, right-wing fantasy, not in fact.

So you see, that the Republicans have not even tried to compromise and how they define compromise doesn't match the dictionary definition. All the red herrings that the guys in red can create won't change the actual facts
  • Sam Guru_T_... 2013/02/25 04:53:26
    Sam
    +1
    Okay - now your just getting on nerves.....she said your were a person who understood facts. Apparently not...though..You not don't watch Fox News...but you support the mainstream news. Which is really sad.
    And yes each state senator was promised money if they were to vote on it as i did indeed see it happen for myself. I am not interested in getting into a wrestling match...with you. Though apparently you think you know everything about everything...so i will agree to disagree with you. In my opinion it was probably due to people like you that Hula isn't on here anymore.
    After all we are due our opinions after all everyone's got one and no one on here has got the facts.
    My first mistake was coming on here...thinking people have respect for others opinions. My second mistake was debating with you...like i said because of the 49% President Obama is still in the White House.
    I stand beside what i believe in...like you I have never met the managing editor of Fox News...so i can't speak on Fox's behalf and anyone who goes off gossip like all of us should burn in hell for doing so.
    Because none of us have the facts. So i unlike you will not spread any further gossip. All because the white house said it...it makes it fact.Your are more then welcome to have a seat and suck u...

Because none of us have the facts. So i unlike you will not spread any further gossip. All because the white house said it...it makes it fact.Your are more then welcome to have a seat and suck up to Obama if that iis what you chose to do wi th your life.
    I believe in a higher power and it aint Obama. I do not put my trust in my President since i know all politicians lie in the first place. Maybe you enjoy Obama telling you what you should do...but unlike you i make my own destiny. Thanks to the Obama regime though my life has been effected in a negative way.
    I was just sharing my thoughts and feelings with you....but you assume i came to attack you. Assume is three words. You know what they are. I don't believe in a President has threatend everything i had going in my life.
    I did actually look up to you...you take comfort in gossip.
  • Guru_T_... Sam 2013/02/25 15:46:17
    Guru_T_Firefly
    You came on suggesting that I needed your facts to see things clearly, when it suddenly became very evident that you were the one who wasn't seeing things clearly. After watching the proceedings on C-Span, you claim that you saw people being bribed. I doubt the veracity of that. You claim that I don't watch Fox News and that I support the MSM without knowing who I am or how I work and then cry bitterly when I don't interpret your actions as either friendly or civil. You tried to saddle me with Hula's disappearance and make unfounded claims that I worship Obama and/or others. That's just sophomoric. Unlike you, I see life as being improved by President Obama. In short, you made a lot of gossip-based accusations that are used regularly by our many low-information Obama-haters and insinuating that I was a blind follower of Obama who doesn't make my own destiny. So, forgive me if I have a hard time seeing your comment as constructive.
  • Sam Guru_T_... 2013/02/26 01:08:00
    Sam
    We all come here doing that. I am not the only one.

2014/04/19 17:05:38