Do you think President Obama’s gun control plan will prevent mass shootings?

Fox Report with Shepard Smith 2013/01/16 19:11:41
President Obama called Wednesday for a new and tougher assault-weapons ban and a 10-round limit on magazines, as part of a comprehensive plan to curb gun violence that includes 23 steps he took without congressional action.

Already facing stiff opposition from gun-rights advocates and Republican lawmakers, the president called on Congress to pass several major changes to the country's current gun laws -- some of which are already being considered like the restrictions on semi-automatic weapons and high-capacity magazines.

Obama called as well for legislation to bar the possession and importation of armor-piercing bullets and to require criminal background checks for nearly all gun sales. The president, speaking at the White House, said he would use "whatever weight this office holds" to get the proposals passed.

obama

Read More: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/16/obama-u...

• Fef 2013/01/16 19:44:31
    Fef
    +22
    How?

background checks and waiting periods would not have stopped Columbine or Sandy Hook.

Bullet registration -- yeah, whatever. We know who did the shooting. It doesn't take registering bullets.

The murderers at both Sandy Hook and Columbine had plenty of time to casually stroll around and shoot unarmed, defenseless victims in a gun-free zone.

All it will do is deny law abiding citizens the ability to defend themselves and their family. For anyone who's interested the murder rate is now half what it was in 1980 and there are probably twice as many guns. Gun control isn't about guns, it's about control!!
  • moknowsky 2013/01/30 11:57:07
    moknowsky
    Funny how i picked no and got yes..his DHS has bought millions of hollow points to be used on people here.
  • Freedom Mom 2013/01/30 11:04:46
    Freedom Mom
    NO its Unconstitutional what Obama is doing. Did the gun laws stop Fast and Furious?
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2013/01/30 05:19:45
    Not sure, but it's worth trying
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +1
    Actually I am not sure if it will. I just know that I personally don't need any weapon in my neighborhood, that if I shoot at a bad guy, it has enough fire power that when I fire it, it has enough penetrating power to go through my neighbors walls and kill them. A pistol or shot gun will do just fine. I know the penetrating power of some of those that they call assault weapons and how far they have the capacity to travel. They can kill innocent people accidentally.
  • daniel.... Nam Era... 2013/02/08 00:11:13
    daniel.putnam.108
    +1
    safest defense weapon is shot gun loaded with bird shot. any heavyer shot or sluggs will also penetrate walls. the ar rifles are 22 caliber. not a 50 cal. machine gun..............but yes they can go thru sheetrock too. so can most handgun rounds.
  • Nam Era... daniel.... 2013/02/08 02:34:22
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    Yep, depends on how close your neighbors are.. Thanks. And have a great weekend
  • Peewee ~PWCM~JLA 2013/01/30 05:17:05
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    For the N'th time, NO.
  • LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH 2013/01/30 05:13:22
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
    MAYBE IT WILL TRIGGER MORE MASS SHOOTING.
  • Alacrity 2013/01/30 02:21:56
    Not sure, but it's worth trying
    Alacrity
    +1
    Obama's plan may reduce deaths... if it saves one life a year, it's worth it... especially if that life were yours or mine.
  • Becca 2013/01/30 00:38:57
    Becca
    In the middle of all this hoopla about assault weapons did any one bother to point out that your standard pistol is far more likely to be involved with a shooting incident???? Better yet tell me what weapon killed all those children at Sandy hook.

How about this we enforce the laws we have on the books. Various areas have laws about reporting people we feel are a harm to themselves or others. Various areas have laws that say its illegal to not report a stolen weapon.

And if we feel the need to reform something lets look at our mental health system more and figure out how to help people better before they snap.

A gun is a tool.

A car is a tool.

We dont go around banning cars because of DUIs. We talk about the dangers of drunk or intoxicated drives. Its a discussion. There are laws set up to discourage the misuse of said tool.

Maybe we should discuss how to help our loved ones that may need our help.
  • Alacrity Becca 2013/01/30 02:34:04 (edited)
    Alacrity
    We do have speed limits for cars, don't we? We have drivers licence requirements, don't we? We have mandatory automobile equipment inspections and requirements, don't we? We have all kinds of driving laws, and stop signs and stop lights. Get real, kid. There ought to be similar heavy controls on weapons that kill 900 people a month in the US alone--a number which is more than the top twenty-five countries in the world for a full year. OMG!
  • Becca Alacrity 2013/01/31 06:46:30
    Becca
    Yes again though how many deadly accidents do we have a year? Right. I am sure by your logic we should actually take away the cars. About a 100 people die each day because of car accidents. Or in other words about 33000 people a year. Guess what cars kill more people a year then guns by a long shot.

I am not saying just have carte blanche to do what ever we want. I am for enforcing regulations we already have. Taking guns away wont fix the problem not by a long shot, because guess what. The law abiding people that have guns already pay attention to the laws. The people that do illegal things don't give two thoughts about the laws. We already have pretty tough laws. I want to look at the cause for why people use guns to kill.

Guns, weapons, are already out in our society. I can say that if someone wants to get there hands on a weapons, just like drugs, to do something harmful I am sure they will. Lets come up with some ideas to discourage the cause for the desire for violence. Because a tool is a tool, how you use something is up to the individual.
  • Alacrity Becca 2013/02/11 06:03:34
    Alacrity
    You didn't say anything but what you wanted to say. If cars have accidents, guns have accidents. May you not have any accidents.
  • JeffDeWitt 2013/01/29 04:55:01
    JeffDeWitt
    Of course not, and he knows it. This has nothing to do with violence and everything to do with taking away our rights and controlling us.

It's all about transferring more of our rights and power to Washington.
  • Moodybloo70 2013/01/28 08:49:50
    Moodybloo70
    Of course not !!!
  • Platinum Fangs 2013/01/25 04:11:00
    Not sure, but it's worth trying
    Platinum Fangs
    I agree with banning armor piercing rounds and background checks on all purchases. Restrictions on semi-autos and high compacity mags I don't really care for. A better thing to do would be to apply for a special license and training course for possession of semi- auto weapons. The limited clips thing is just like the ban on large soda cups in NY: all that does is get people to get 2 medium ups or more. Do these laws apply only to civilians or are law enforcement and private security subject to them too?
  • daniel.... Platinu... 2013/02/08 00:24:43
    daniel.putnam.108
    the politicians all put in exemptions for themselfs. did you see the bill they passed that they dont have to pay back their student loans for their kids and family. did you know that full auto weapons have been illegal for decades, but with a background check and a check from youre check boot gov will sell you a permit to have full auto weapons?or explosive devices or a tank. i bought an ar last tyear. i had to pass a background check and fill out paperwork. it all ready required. did you know the gov sells m1 garand assault rifles surplus from wars to civilians thru the :civilian marksmanship program: 800 dollars.they are semi auto, and much more powerful than the ar rifles.223 verses 3006. if they ban semi auto, they will then sell permits for the people with the big check books.
  • joe keeney 2013/01/25 02:57:15
    joe keeney
    +1
    Its nothing but hot air. Going no where.
  • Cookie Monster 2013/01/24 05:22:24
    Cookie Monster
    +2
    Gun control= More violence No matter what, there will always be a crazy/evil person killing a bunch of people. Obama should just stick to improving the economy.
    gun control
  • Wretha S 2013/01/23 05:47:03
    Wretha S
    +4
    I'll make this painfully simple for the libs...
    ill painfully simple libs
    http://www.humanevents.com/im...
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?...
    ill painfully simple libs httpwww humanevents comim httpt2 gstatic comimages
  • jonnybu... Wretha S 2013/01/23 15:45:40
    jonnybullet
    +2
    Actually the only picture you showed that wasn't a cartoon has nothing to do with government confiscating weapons. Germany was under a mandate imposed after the 1st world war that the government or population could not own weapons. Of course after Nazi Germany decided to break their treaties they started to build their military again. Around 1935 or so the German government lifted any restrictions on the population owning weapons and their gun policy was extremely liberal if you could buy it you could own it. I think someone needs to learn their history before posting pictures they copied off the Internet.
  • daniel.... jonnybu... 2013/02/08 00:28:39
    daniel.putnam.108
    aparently no one told the jews they could have guns. no i know they wouldnt have fought back then anyways.they changed their religios policy since then i think.
  • LORROL 2013/01/23 01:58:38
    Not sure, but it's worth trying
    LORROL
    +2
    Only if congress can make meaningful laws. The presidents executive order are no more than a finger in a dike without the congress doing their job.
  • al 2013/01/22 04:11:34
    al
    +1
    The President of the United States does not have the luxury of being one sided on this issue, He has families that have lost loved ones to senseless killers using guns, they are Americans demanding something be done and be done now. On the upside thousands of Americans are obtaining guns for protection, so we should see crime reduce or a reduction of criminals.
  • RevJim 2013/01/21 22:44:40
    RevJim
    +3
    It's all without meaning, and it only applies to those who obey the law.
  • gregory.brown.5030 2013/01/21 22:43:06
    gregory.brown.5030
    +3
    Not in the least. In fact they will cause more. Shooters go to where people are unarmed not to the gun range.
  • Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪ 2013/01/21 02:34:53
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +5
    His plan isn't about anything but controlling what legal citizens have.
  • Old Salt Kat ♪ ~... 2013/01/21 03:18:21
  • Kat ♪ ~... Old Salt 2013/01/21 03:19:53
    Kat ♪ ~BTO-t-BCRA-F~ ♪
    +2
    Thanks, I'm glad you are my friend. :)
  • Gouchybear 2013/01/20 20:56:07
    Gouchybear
    +4
    HOW?? It does NOTHING to take CRIMINALS off the streets nor black market guns. If laws worked then Chicago would be a paradise instead of the war zone it is. And the reason its a war zone is because the government is too busy attempting to take away firearms from LAW ABIDING CITIZENS and not enforcing laws that would put criminals in prison and get them off the street. But hey, our government armed Mexican drug cartels and got caught...and we're STILL waiting for those responsible, Baracakaka Obama, Eric Holder et al to be prosecuted! Hello, Congress!?! {{crickets}}
  • Concerned Citizen 2013/01/20 10:59:34
    Concerned Citizen
    +4
    Sadly not at all,....just another spin that appeals only to his uneducated followers.
  • Jerry 2013/01/20 05:33:05
    Jerry
    +4
    ........it seems ironic, that We are on the threshold of the " 2 " ..... day Innauguration, what's with that, traditionally swearing in ceremonies are the gala proceedings is supposed to be in 1 day....... the irony being, Them celebrating, He and Biden, while Our American Citizens are being one by one, executed by terrorists in Algeria, that is the real headline, Fox News Story...... I know I'm only a reply to Your post, Shepard, but please, remember what I'm answering back to You...... ( ..... this tyranny, continually by this administration, has got to stop ) ....... unilaterally as I learned while studying National and World history, a President needs to confer with Congress and the House of Representatives before making decisions that affect All of Us, under the false premise of Executive Priviledge, and Order, and another thing Shepard, " why is it that this great Country of Ours, in previous Presidential Administrations, We have Never, had a funneled news organization, namely, Politico, no past Presidents had such a thing..... when the President speaks, He is supposed to be orating directly to the People, and not through this clap trap, tell Us only part of the news, and hold back the rest of it..... Shepard, You're an excellent Anchor and news Journalist, You and the r...
    ........it seems ironic, that We are on the threshold of the " 2 " ..... day Innauguration, what's with that, traditionally swearing in ceremonies are the gala proceedings is supposed to be in 1 day....... the irony being, Them celebrating, He and Biden, while Our American Citizens are being one by one, executed by terrorists in Algeria, that is the real headline, Fox News Story...... I know I'm only a reply to Your post, Shepard, but please, remember what I'm answering back to You...... ( ..... this tyranny, continually by this administration, has got to stop ) ....... unilaterally as I learned while studying National and World history, a President needs to confer with Congress and the House of Representatives before making decisions that affect All of Us, under the false premise of Executive Priviledge, and Order, and another thing Shepard, " why is it that this great Country of Ours, in previous Presidential Administrations, We have Never, had a funneled news organization, namely, Politico, no past Presidents had such a thing..... when the President speaks, He is supposed to be orating directly to the People, and not through this clap trap, tell Us only part of the news, and hold back the rest of it..... Shepard, You're an excellent Anchor and news Journalist, You and the rest of Fox News, please heed what I've posted in my answer back to You, retain the information and in a round table Jouralist discussion, blow the damn whistle on this phony, balogna funneled Obama invention...... remember, what Your slogan continually reports...... Fox News, We Report..... You Decide ...... I'll be carefully waiting, for putting into action, sharing this with Your news, anchors, studio news staff, and the valuable reporters, out of the studio loop..... " I believe one particular person You should bounce this off on is Your good Friend, in the studio, Megyn Kelly, if at all possible if Sarah Palin still is actively working at Fox News, please by all means, share this with Her as well..... " thank you, for posting this, I hope I haven't rambled too much, but I do think this is a posted answer with good merit, I do take a great interest in all kinds of news stories " ........ if You would like, You can also e-mail me, at my Google g-mail address ........ jstroupcircclerkwaterv@gmail.com .......
  • Pearlie Momi♥Patriot Warrior♥ 2013/01/20 04:24:50 (edited)
    Pearlie Momi♥Patriot Warrior♥
    +6
    Hell No..No Way....This is just ridiculous. Waste of time and money. Obama sucks..
  • kaZappoo 2013/01/19 21:47:35
    kaZappoo
    +5
    does absolutely nothing to deter & prevent the culprit " THE MENTALLY ILL INDIVIDUAL FROM CREATING TERROR ON OTHERS "

this society is being feed this mind set that laws will stop all evil doings !

when the media is feeding the masses untruthfull info to further the factions agenda's
  • Dandydon 2013/01/19 21:38:44
    Dandydon
    +5
    About as much as bacon will...

bacon
  • Pearlie... Dandydon 2013/01/20 04:25:35
  • Dandydon Pearlie... 2013/01/20 04:26:20
  • Pearlie... Dandydon 2013/01/20 04:31:21
    Pearlie Momi♥Patriot Warrior♥
    +3
    LOL..I love bacon...Ha Ha...
  • Dandydon Pearlie... 2013/01/20 04:33:05
    Dandydon
    +2
    Me too....lol :)
  • Pearlie... Dandydon 2013/01/20 04:35:22
    Pearlie Momi♥Patriot Warrior♥
    +2
    woo hoo...:^))

2014/08/29 01:36:44