Do you think pet owners should be allowed to take their household pets on trains?

ABC News U.S. 2013/05/26 10:41:21
Related Topics: Trains, Pets, Train
If a new bill in Congress is passed, Amtrak will be required to allow pets onboard some of its trains. The bill, introduced by Jeff Denham, R-Calif., states that Amtrak will designate one car of each train where passengers may transport "a domesticated cat or dog in the same manner as carry-on baggage" if the animal can be contained in a pet kennel and the kennel can be stowed in accordance with Amtrak size requirements for carry-on baggage.

"My dog, Lily, is part of our family and travels with us to and from California all the time. If I can take her on a plane, why can't I travel with her on Amtrak, too?" said Denham. "Allowing families to bring their animals with them will facilitate transportation and efficiency while also providing a much-needed source of revenue for Amtrak."

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/bill-pets-amtrak/stor...

• BullRider 2013/08/22 16:53:06
    BullRider
  • Meara 2013/08/22 14:44:00
    Meara
    but only service animals
  • Jan 2013/07/24 23:01:18
    Jan
    I vote NO. I have animals but they stay HOME. They don't go on public transportation to disrupt everyone else or trigger allergies. I don't want to ride on a plane, train or bus with a bunch of yapping dogs and howling cats.
  • MisterOriginal 2013/07/09 10:41:40
    MisterOriginal
    It's a free-ish country. As long as the pets sort of behave, no problem.
  • SIMPATTYCO 2013/07/04 17:46:31
    SIMPATTYCO
    in cages
  • Marianne 2013/06/17 11:51:00
    Marianne
    If this is possible, yes.

There must be, though, a ruling to avoid accidents, cruelty against people and animals, allergic problems or conflicts.
  • John 2013/06/14 14:34:33
    John
    +1
    You are on a train a lot longer than in a plane. The dogs will have to relieve themselves somewhere. It might not be too bad as long as they didn't put other travellers in the same car with the animals.

Animals are not people. It's nice that people love theirs pets and treat them well but I do not want to hear, smell or see anyone's pet no matter how cute their owners imagine them to be.
  • SpongeBob 2013/06/14 14:31:07
    SpongeBob
    Why not
  • Boo 2013/06/12 20:58:09
    Boo
    +1
    Not in passenger cars. They can be crated and ride in freight, just like the airlines do
  • bricklyn Boo 2013/06/13 04:09:45
    bricklyn
    +1
    They are allowed in the passenger area in aircraft for over 20 years that I know of. I have been travelling with my dogs for that long. As long as they fit under the seat.
  • Boo bricklyn 2013/06/13 21:45:10
    Boo
    I've never been on a U.S. flight where an animal was carried on!
  • Nonpartisan 2013/06/12 19:45:06
    Nonpartisan
    +1
    In 2002 my car and travel trailer were wrecked by some fool who was sleeping while driving to work. I was stuck in Gallup New Mexico with no transportation to get anywhere. Nobody would rent me a one way car or truck to go anywhere outside of Gallup. I went to the Bus/Train Station and tried to buy a ticket so that I could start my trip home. It went well until I mentioned that I had a LIVE cat with me in a pet carrier. The ticket agent then informed me that I could get a ticket and travel anywhere I wanted with a DEAD pet, however; he told me that both the bus and train has not allowed LIVE pets for many years.

I was stuck in Gallup for over a week, and I started trying to find anyone who would sell me any kind of vehicle which would get me out of town. Yes they should allow pets on both the bus and train, when they are in an appropriate pet carrier.
  • Emily 2013/06/12 18:32:50
    Emily
    But its not a flat yes/no. Not on long distance because of *toileting issues* but on short journeys, maybe. And animals like cats and hamsters have to be contained.
  • Boo Emily 2013/06/12 20:59:58
    Boo
    Why not dogs as well?
  • bricklyn Boo 2013/06/13 04:08:31
    bricklyn
    +1
    They should all be in carriers.
  • dlsofsetx 2013/06/12 17:28:03
    dlsofsetx
    Why not?
  • Rdtourist 2013/06/12 15:58:37
    Rdtourist
    Provided they are caged and properly restrained to prevent "accidents" or incidents with fare paying passengers. I can just see the whackos trying the limits as the government is of no value in showing common sense, after all, horses and pigs as well as a few other even more exotics are now classified as service animals beyond the normal dogs, monkeys and cats.
  • mitchie 2013/06/12 15:25:37
    mitchie
    Yes but in a separate carriage incase of allergy and have benches with a cage around it incase of a accient to stop it staining and the owner must clean it
  • bricklyn mitchie 2013/06/13 04:13:17 (edited)
    bricklyn
    I disagree with the allergy issues. No one with any other allergy is given any special accommodation on any commercial transportation. Perfume is a huge issue for many and so is the stink of smokers that can cause allergic reactions for may. Any person with medical problems should be taking care of their own health.

In commercial aircraft all pets are in carriers.
  • debhead 2013/06/12 13:57:08
    debhead
    As long as they have their own compartment. Its going to eventually smell sand some people are seriously allergic.
  • bricklyn debhead 2013/06/13 04:13:55
    bricklyn
  • Jayachandran Superman 2013/06/12 11:44:32
    Jayachandran Superman
    Definitely
  • the fuze 2013/06/12 10:59:55
    the fuze
    +2
    Are there, or are there not more pressing matters that Congress should be dealing with?
  • Nicholas DeShane 2013/06/12 09:27:38 (edited)
    Nicholas DeShane
    I wish I could take my dogs any where I wanted. I know some places are in appropriate for dogs to be, so I would not take them every where. I also understand some have allergies I understand that. If you however have a fear of dogs then go frack your self. I do not care I have no compassion for the irrational.
  • bricklyn Nichola... 2013/06/13 04:14:18
    bricklyn
    +1
  • Jan Nichola... 2013/07/24 22:58:05
    Jan
    +2
    Not every fear of dogs is "irrational". Some people have had bad experiences with dogs. If I say I'm afraid of spiders no one thinks that's "irrational", even though no spiders have ripped anyone's face off, to my knowledge. But say you're afraid of dogs and you're "irrational". Some people just don't want to see, hear or smell your mutt...so would you think it's less rude to tell you AND your hairball to go f- yourselves? What an arrogant attitude.
  • Nichola... Jan 2013/07/25 04:47:16 (edited)
    Nicholas DeShane
    Why yes I am quite arrogant when it comes to stupidity and the psuedo-humans infected with it, and thank you very much for noticing. It does not matter what causes a phobia, phobias are always irrational, if someone has a three pound teacup whatever and you still fear it because it is indeed a dog, then your fear is irrational. In most instances irrational fears do have a source, but if you are 50 and still freaking out because your uncles cocker spaniel nipped your finger when you were 5 you are pathetic and need to grow up. You need to look up the definition of irrational, it does not matter if they went through a traumatic expierience, traumatic expieriences do not make rational fears they always make irrational ones. If someone was mugged by someone with brown hair it would be unjust to make everyone with brown hair stay home or dye it. As far as spiders go being afraid of something such a ridiculous fraction of your size is quite irrational, as far as venomous spiders go being careful around them is wise, but being afraid of spiders and trying to avoid becoming envenomed are two different things, if you are actually afraid of spiders you are an immature child, I myself have captured harmless house spiders with my bare hands and released them back outside, if you are caref...
    Why yes I am quite arrogant when it comes to stupidity and the psuedo-humans infected with it, and thank you very much for noticing. It does not matter what causes a phobia, phobias are always irrational, if someone has a three pound teacup whatever and you still fear it because it is indeed a dog, then your fear is irrational. In most instances irrational fears do have a source, but if you are 50 and still freaking out because your uncles cocker spaniel nipped your finger when you were 5 you are pathetic and need to grow up. You need to look up the definition of irrational, it does not matter if they went through a traumatic expierience, traumatic expieriences do not make rational fears they always make irrational ones. If someone was mugged by someone with brown hair it would be unjust to make everyone with brown hair stay home or dye it. As far as spiders go being afraid of something such a ridiculous fraction of your size is quite irrational, as far as venomous spiders go being careful around them is wise, but being afraid of spiders and trying to avoid becoming envenomed are two different things, if you are actually afraid of spiders you are an immature child, I myself have captured harmless house spiders with my bare hands and released them back outside, if you are careful and non-threatening making sure they can still move around in your hand they usually will not bite as they do not feel trapped or threatened, and if they do it is no worse than a mosquito bite, so why be afraid of something so benign. The government its self in its ruling that a fear of or allergy to dogs is not a justifiable cause to ban service dogs validates my argument that the rest of society is not responsible for your psychological well being. I know this topic is not exactly about service dogs I just thought I would point out the governments stand on the importance of childish fears, I would also like to point out there is nothing stopping a pit bull from being a service dog, there are pit bull service dogs, if some blind guy with a pit as a service dog is at the store and you are as well with a 2 year old that not only has an allergy to dogs but a fear of them as well, you can complain all you want but the store, the police, hell the freaking president is not allowed to make them leave, because your fears are irrelevant and is nobody else in society's problem, we are not responsible for making sure you feel comfortable. As far as not wanting to be exposed to my dogs sensory output, well quite frankly every time I am around idiots I think the same damn thing.
    Now if we are both in public, outside in a place dogs are permitted and you ask me to take my dogs and leave as you do not want to look at them I will point out I am 6"2' and 280lbs (not all of it muscle, but a good percentage of it), my dogs are large as well, and I have a permit for concealed carry after which I will kindly ask you to make a feeble pathetic easily thwarted attempt to make me leave.
  • barbara.carter.311 2013/06/12 08:06:04
    barbara.carter.311
    Yes.
  • divinemissm 2013/06/12 03:58:59
  • LockiNinja 2013/06/12 01:32:44
    LockiNinja
    +1
    As awesome as that sounds, it probably wouldn't be a good idea. If a dog got loose and bit somebody, the person could go to the hospital and the dog could be put down. I wouldn't risk the life of my dog for a quick trip.
  • bricklyn LockiNinja 2013/06/12 03:49:02
    bricklyn
    +1
    Animals have been allowed on commercial aircraft for over 20 years. They need to be in a carrier
  • DeeB 2013/06/11 23:46:58
    DeeB
    +3
    The concern would be people being allergic and some people don't like animals and would take offense. If there was a special car for just animals in carriers, I could see that. There actually should be.
  • bricklyn DeeB 2013/06/12 03:47:51
    bricklyn
    +1
    There is no accommodations for anyone with allegies on any public transportation. Why would an allergy to pets be any different than one to perfume of smoke be any different. Sitting beside a smoker can cause me to have a severe asthma just from the smell on their clothes and hair.

Anyone with any medical issues is responsible for their own health, the public is not. Animals have been on commercial aircraft for over 20 years and most people have never even known they were their.
  • DeeB bricklyn 2013/06/12 14:33:24
    DeeB
    +1
    I know animals are on planes, but they are not in the same space as the people. Although I did travel to a cat show and did carry on my cat in a carrier, years ago. My point is anyone could have complained if they were allergic. I do think about other people, unlike most.
  • bricklyn DeeB 2013/06/13 04:17:54 (edited)
    bricklyn
    They most certainly are in the passenger compartments. I take my dog on the aircraft frequently. Two are allowed on every flight on most airlines.

Most women never think about the perfume they weare and smokers never think about the stink on their clothes and hair when they fly either. Both of those give me asthma attacks when I fly and I take my own responsibility for that.
  • Bud 2013/06/11 23:35:32
    Bud
    Yes, as long as they are confined to the baggage car. If you want to take your pet on a public conveyance go take up residence in a third world country!

Bud
  • SlaveWaterNymph 2013/06/11 23:14:54
    SlaveWaterNymph
    +1
    its not even allowed on the city buses(except for service dogs/animals) and it should be like that. Because people are allergic to them, most do not take care of the animals while on buses or anywhere else, so why should they let them do that?
  • Dickens 2013/06/11 22:38:21 (edited)
    Dickens
    ..sure...as long as there is sufficient pet-free space for the rest of us....like a smokers car..
  • Lady Serena 2013/06/11 21:40:23
    Lady Serena
    Especially if they're service animals.
  • Starman 2013/06/11 21:38:03
    Starman
    Although it would be better to allow large dogs. They are much more well behaved as a general rule.

Also, why exclude ferrets?Third most popular pet in the country.

2014/12/21 19:25:57