Do you think Obama is a natural born citizen?

Adam 2012/04/26 14:12:31
There are 3 different issues questioning Obama's Natural born citizenship. Currently the media and everyone else that thinks he is a natural born citizen marginalize those that think he isn't by calling them lunatics rather then addressing the legitimate concern. The 3 issues: 1) Not natural born citizen because he was really born in Hawaii. 2) Not natural born citizen because his father wasn't a citizen and one must be born to 2 citizen parents to be natural born. 3) Not natural born citizen because he relinquished his citizenship by applying for college as a foreign student using a foreign passport.

• ProudProgressive 2012/04/27 14:32:46
    Yes!
    ProudProgressive
    +34
    1. The President has provided voluminous proof that he was born in Honolulu.

2. Parental citizenship is irrelevant to the issue of natural born citizenship. The Supreme Court settled that issue in the 1898 case of United States v. Wong Kim Ark.

3. The President has never traveled on a foreign passport and never been enrolled in any college as a "foreign student".

The reason that birthers are considered to be delusional lunatics is that the legitimate concerns have all been addressed and disposed of. Years ago.

• Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of ... 2012/04/28 03:54:13
  • Flamingolady 2012/04/28 03:11:53
    No!
    Flamingolady
    2 and 3 in the comments below are big red flags. And this does not even begin to address his Social Security number, issued to someone in Connecticut. As a matter of fact, here is the entire issue:
  • oldlady 2012/04/28 02:43:30
  • MO.gal 2012/04/28 02:36:08
    Yes!
    MO.gal
    +11
    Yes, President Obama is a natural born citizen. It's time for the birthers to put that to rest and become concerned about Romney. Is he a natural born citizen? I want to see his "long form birth certificate." He still has family in Mexico. Come on birthers, better check on that.
    romney mexican
  • Foxy Wa... MO.gal 2012/04/28 04:07:16
    Foxy Warrior Guru
    +6
    That'll never happen because, y'know, "it's ok if WE do it."
  • Chris MO.gal 2012/04/29 06:57:09
    Chris
    Explain please, using the definition of, or requirements of being a, natural born citizen how Obama is a natural born citizen. I'm honestly concerned about how ill-educated people are on the constitution and such important matters, especially the people who ask why it even matters. If anyone wants to question Romney's status, maybe they should, but the same litmus test should be applied to the person in office right now. Personally, if people want to have Romney's eligibility looked into, I'm fine with that, but to even suggest it without being willing to let it happen for the person in office just makes people hypocrites.

PS - Obama is not a natural born citizen, but I look forward to your response in the manner requested stating that he is, so long as it shows how he meets the requirements of being such a citizen.
  • ProudPr... Chris 2012/05/25 02:42:08
    ProudProgressive
    I honestly do find it funny when people who have absolutely no idea what they're talking about try to pontificate.

Barack Obama was born in Honolulu, Hawaii. Hawaii, at the time of his birth, was part of the United States and thus "U.S. soil". His parents were not foreign diplomats, and were not part of an invading military force. As the Supreme Court ruled 114 years ago, that makes him a natural born citizen of the United States and eligible to serve as President. His parents' citizenship is completely irrelevant. They could have been two Martians who decided to vacation at Waikiki, but as long as their child was born on U.S. soil that child is eligible to run for President of the United States. The Supreme Court settled what lingering doubts there might have been in the case of United States v. Wong Kim Ark, in which they ruled that a person born in San Francisco to two noncitizen parents was nonetheless a natural born citizen, aka a citizen of the United States from birth.

Now go home and apologize to your mother for wasting so much of her bandwidth.
  • ProudPr... MO.gal 2012/05/25 02:37:19
    ProudProgressive
    Oh come on now, you know better than that. Mitt Romney is WHITE. You're not ALLOWED to ask whether or not he's eligible to run.
  • Diana 2012/04/28 02:28:15
    No!
    Diana
  • cellophane 2012/04/28 01:50:52
    I don't know.
    cellophane
    I think there is sufficient reason to question his birth status. I'm still awaiting proof though.
  • Chris cellophane 2012/04/29 07:01:01
    Chris
    +1
    Read the following and let me know if you think there is sufficient reason to question his birth status as a natural-born citizen:

"Every human being born within the jurisdiction of the United States of parents not owing allegiance to any foreign sovereignty is, in the language of your Constitution itself, a natural-born citizen"
  • sankytheartist 2012/04/28 01:24:39
    No!
    sankytheartist
    +2
    I think he was Cesarean.
  • DuncanONeil 2012/04/27 23:00:23 (edited)
    No!
    DuncanONeil
    "Not natural born citizen because his father wasn't a citizen and one must be born to 2 citizen parents to be natural born."

This judgement has been clearly stated by the SCOTUS some four times.

BTW you have a very good set of poll answers here.
  • darlene 2012/04/27 22:53:38
  • Cordingly darlene 2012/04/28 16:17:01
    Cordingly
    Being Muslim doesn't mean someone can't be an American citizen.
  • ack 2012/04/27 21:35:26
    I don't know.
    ack
    +2
    If he was born in Hawaii why is his SSN issued from Connecticut?
  • Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO 2012/04/27 21:12:33
  • Inquisitve Kat 2012/04/27 21:05:24
    Yes!
    Inquisitve Kat
    +11
    This topic has been done to death and it's been proven that he is natural born. It's one I refuse to consider any further.
  • Chris Inquisi... 2012/04/29 08:24:37
    Chris
    How is it that one born to a British national and an American can be born to parents not owing allegiance to any foreign sovereignty? Clearly one of them does owe allegiance to a foreign sovereignty. If the topic has been done to death, you would be clear that it has not been proven he's a natural born citizen, since being such a citizen requires both parents to be citizens owing no allegiance to any foreign sovereignty.
  • Inquisi... Chris 2012/04/29 08:25:41
    Inquisitve Kat
    +2
    The requirement is for only one parent to be a full American citizen.
    My point.
  • Chris Inquisi... 2012/04/29 08:47:34
    Chris
    "Every human being born within the jurisdiction of the United States of parents not owing allegiance to any foreign sovereignty is, in the language of your Constitution itself, a natural-born citizen" - John Bingham on the floor of the House of Representatives (1866)

You'll note the word "parents." It is plural, and thus means more than one; more than one parent must not be owing allegiance to any foreign sovereignty. Please let me know where you are getting this information that it need be only a single parent, so I can check it out. Every requirement and definition I have found has made it clear it requires both parents, and this is something I've been aware of for years, mostly as a result of learning about history while at school, as well as research I've done on my own. The supreme court has ruled it this way in several cases over quite a long period of time.
  • Inquisi... Chris 2012/04/29 17:12:12
    Inquisitve Kat
    +2
    "The Congressional Research Service has stated that the weight of scholarly legal and historical opinion indicates that the term means one who is entitled under the Constitution or laws of the United States to U.S. citizenship "at birth" or "by birth," including any child born "in" the United States, even to alien parents (other than to foreign diplomats serving their country), the children of United States citizens born abroad, and those born abroad of one citizen parent who has met U.S. residency requirements.[1]" - Wikipedia; sourced.
  • Chris Inquisi... 2012/04/29 19:52:54
    Chris
    And yet this is contrary to historical statements, such as the one I provided from the person who is responsible for the fourteenth amendment (and the citizenship clause). It is also contrary to Supreme Court cases that have been heard on the same issue. Mostly, though, I am curious about the fact that this research was done in 2011, which by all accounts makes it seem specifically tied to whether Obama is eligible. But the more important thing is that you seem to have stopped reading at the very top of that page, and the content of the footnote cited - "There is no provision in the Constitution and no controlling American case law to support a contention that the citizenship of one’s parents governs the eligibility of a native born U.S. citizen to be President."

And yet, in an opinion presented by the Supreme Court in 1875: Under the common law, according to the court, "it was never doubted that all children born in a country of parents who were its citizens became themselves, upon their birth, citizens also. These were natives, or natural-born citizens, as distinguished from aliens or foreigners." And as I already pointed out, it had been defined by the father of the fourteenth amendment and not questioned by the rest of congress in either 1862, or in 1866 when presented. So the idea that legal and historical opinion includes those born to alien parents is a bit surprising, and even contradicted on the exact same page that you used to provide your response.
  • ACE 2012/04/27 20:57:47
    No!
    ACE
    +2
    you cant get a foreign student scholarship to college if you are born in this country.
  • KotaBell 2012/04/27 20:21:10
    No!
    KotaBell
    +1
    oboma is a no good for nothing president that is goinn to to start a nother world war!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... the world war 3
  • Wolf97 KotaBell 2012/04/27 21:19:58
    Wolf97
    +3
    And who would he be fighting with? I am interested to hear who you think the US will be fighting with. Russia? The Cold War is over. China? They dont want to ruin their growth with war. India? Pointless. Pakistan? Too busy in their stand off with India. And dont say "he will be at war with America" because that would not make logical sense.
  • Adam Wolf97 2012/04/27 21:24:44
    Adam
    Trust me when I tell you, WWIII will be a totally different war than any you have ever seen. This one will be made up of civil wars in many countries.
  • Wolf97 Adam 2012/04/27 21:31:20
    Wolf97
    +3
    Indeed? Which countries would they be?
  • Adam Wolf97 2012/04/27 21:41:46
    Adam
    Countries that have a huge split on ideologies that are becoming more and more threatened that they will lose their ability to speak out.
  • Wolf97 Adam 2012/04/27 22:06:11
    Wolf97
    +2
    Such as? I am not disputing that there will be revolutions at some point in the future but I dont see the "world war" part.
  • Adam Wolf97 2012/04/27 23:51:30
    Adam
    I see a coalition of idealogies worldwide that turn into one against the other.
  • Wolf97 Adam 2012/04/28 00:11:58
    Wolf97
    +1
    I have been asking for specifics. I understand religion v. religion. System v. System ect. But I dont see "World War" material.
  • Adam Wolf97 2012/04/28 00:14:32
    Adam
    just watch for it. I tell ya its coming and its coming soon.
  • Wolf97 Adam 2012/04/28 00:16:13
    Wolf97
    +3
    I follow world events fairly closely. No offense, but I think I will be taking the BBC over someone on the internet.
  • Chris Wolf97 2012/04/29 08:26:17
    Chris
    Whether I believe this to be the case or not, I'm curious why N. Korea and Iran aren't listed, though one might be a little less likely given recent(ish) events there, the other is still causing quite a bit of a ruckus.
  • Wolf97 Chris 2012/04/29 16:10:38
    Wolf97
    Same. He had some valid points but he didint use them.
  • Yes!
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    +12
    I may not agree with everything he does, but he is a Natural Born Citizen. Similarities of Mitt Romney and Barack Obama
    Both had Fathers that are not Citizens of the United States.
    Both have mothers that Are
    Both Born on US soil
    The higher ups in this country knew if he was legal or not long before he ever ran for Potus. So can we now stop beating a dead horse?
    I want everyone that attacks our President to remember all of this if Romney become President and not call it all foul play, because i promise you one thing. The Obama supporters will not forget anything and how he was treated. What has been happening is not the norm. We know parties disagree, but this is beyond what anyone has ever seen with and sitting president including Bush Jr.
    Just remember the past 3 and a half years
  • Adam Gยเtคг ... 2012/04/27 21:25:19
    Adam
    +1
    Mitt's father was a citizen when Mitt was born.
  • Gยเtคг ... Adam 2012/04/27 21:39:37
  • Chris Gยเtคг ... 2012/04/29 08:35:04
    Chris
    I'm confused, you are saying the similarity between Romney and Obama is that both of their fathers were not citizens of the US, yet the article you just linked says "Even though he wasn’t born in a United States territory or state, George Romney was given citizenship at birth because he was born to American citizens, essentially granting him the status of a natural-born citizen." Now, first off, this is Mitt Romney's father being discussed, not Mitt Romney. Second, it says that Mitt Romney's father is a citizen, thus Mitt Romney's father is a citizen, contrary to what you claimed above in your post. This makes the very comparison you're trying to make incorrect. On the other side of things, while you have pointed out that Mitt Romney is in fact eligible to be president, you have also pointed out that Barack Obama is not eligible based on his father not being a citizen.

Do you see the giant flaw in what you've posted?

2014/09/22 10:21:25