Do you think it’s a good idea for students to take a gap year before attending college?

ABCnews.com 2012/05/14 10:28:10
Related Topics: Student, College, Gap, students

• sundance 2012/05/14 20:11:15 (edited)
    Yes, it will give them valuable real world experience.
    sundance
    +12
    For the record, I picked yes, simply because I believe a break will do you good. The whole real world crap, is a handful of BS. Take a year, clear your head (and your pipes). Then your ready to go and become all super responsible. That way, whoever is paying for your college ( and chances are it isn't you), will not be left feeling like you jilted them, when you drop out from stress. Education is important, but then again, so is sanity.....Just a thought....

• das 2012/05/21 14:32:19
  • caius madison 2012/05/21 03:47:01
    caius madison
    Sometimes a break can refresh a tired mind.
  • seriouslyWTF 2012/05/16 16:56:38 (edited)
    seriouslyWTF
    If taking a year off derails your education, then you weren't dedicated enough to be a successful student anyway. College is expensive, and most degree programs deserve a lot more effort than the average teenager will devote to them. Going directly from high school to college can be risky, because most kids don't value education. I live in a college town where students binge drink every weekend. I dropped out at 18 for financial reasons. I later returned to college, paid for it myself, earned two degrees and got straight A's. Time off does not change who you are. If anything, it helps you figure out who you want to be and gives you the motivate you need to become that person!

P.S. Living at home with mom and dad should not be an option when taking time off. This encourages laziness. Move out on your own and live like the adult you are. This will help you appreciate the opportunities a good education can provide.
  • Swan Eshdeh 2012/05/16 16:53:40
    No, it may lead them to abandon their college plans.
    Swan Eshdeh
    why for?
  • wow-really 2012/05/16 16:23:49
    wow-really
    I know this won't be a popular thought but I really feel that every high school graduate should serve this country, atleast for a year.. Whether enlisting in the military or national guard, or serving in job corp, or helping with boader security or keeping America clean...
    Some kind of duty that gives them work and work ethic, and a sense of respect and loyalty for our country. Something they can be a part of that gives them a sense of pride and accomplishment. We should provide more young adults with these type of opportunities.
    Way too many Americans, seem to not respect this country. I see it all the time when people don't even stop talking, or take their hats off during the singing of the National Anthem at sporting events, and/or refusing to say the Pledge of Alligiance. I hear way too much bad mouthing of this country, and of all it's people.. I always think to myself that if people hate this country sooo much and are sooo very embarrassed by it, why not move elsewhere? Somewhere you can feel at home hating and bashing the USA. Somewhere far, far away....
    If kids could get work, and life experiences by helping to make our country a better place, I think they would appreciate even more, and be ligitimately grateful for, the whole college experience.
    : )
  • Kira 2012/05/16 16:13:44
    Kira
    it is very good to give yourself a break from all that stress going on with schools
  • addie 2012/05/16 15:13:39
    addie
    Looking back, I would have been good for me, but everyone is different.
  • Denny 2012/05/16 14:51:03
    Denny
    Are you kidding??? Kids lose half the stuff they learned just with summer vacations every year.
  • BoomLover 2012/05/16 14:31:18
    BoomLover
    +2
    I took 4 years off, and served in the Navy, then went back to college, and the G. I. Bill helped get thru it , getting me on the road to my lifetime career. Without the "break", I might not have had the maturity to stick with it going to college right out of High School.
  • kadijah 2012/05/16 13:58:17
    kadijah
    +1
    most people i know say there taking time off and never go to college
  • addie kadijah 2012/05/16 15:16:09
    addie
    I wondered about that, if people actually go back, once they are out of the school mode.
  • rugrat1411 2012/05/16 13:54:24
    rugrat1411
    Once you walk away its hard to go back.
  • compufreek 2012/05/16 13:44:03
    compufreek
    I did!
  • Connectification 2012/05/16 13:42:13 (edited)
    Connectification
    I am doing it now and I tell you that it can go both way. You can either go out of your freaking mind or you can become more mature and self-direct. Depends on so many factors...

There is so many thing you can do
    gap year

You can turn out to be like this
    gap year

But more likely you can turn out to be like this
    living with parents

living with parents
  • Mz Understood 2012/05/16 12:46:33
    Mz Understood
    While there certainly are those graduating who know exactly what they want to do with their lives, it seems like just as many have no clue. They should take a year, get a job, figure out what they really want out of life and THEN go.
  • Andy 2012/05/16 12:34:45
    Andy
    While the Gap can help with maturity, and experience... to me, most will drop their plans for continuing their education
  • Connect... Andy 2012/05/16 13:46:54
    Connectification
    That's what I'm doing now :) Just because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life

Why did you decide to take a gap year and what did u do to keep your mind occupy that time?
  • Andy Connect... 2012/05/16 16:31:41
    Andy
    +1
    I didn't...but my daughters have had friends that did. Mixed bag of results.
  • Connect... Andy 2012/05/17 04:06:35
    Connectification
    But what is more likely, good result or bad one
  • Andy Connect... 2012/05/17 18:21:43
    Andy
    as I said it was a mixed bag. Personally it depends on the kid. Some are not ready, so it is a good break
  • Sweetness 2012/05/16 11:48:37
    Sweetness
    I believe it gets harder to return to school if you've been out for x amount of years.
  • DJPanicDC 2012/05/16 09:08:42
    DJPanicDC
    I ended up with o r gap decade
  • 13_JunkyardDog 2012/05/16 08:29:29
    13_JunkyardDog
    Not for the reason the author chose, but for a different reason. It is very difficult to get back into the "swing" of things after taking so much time off. The brain is a muscle that must be exercised. I have see first hand how difficult it is for veterans and older people who return to education after a few years. Even people who take one year off have a difficult time adjusting. College is already hard enough to get used to. Many don't/can't make the change and drop out. My advice would be to not disadvantage yourself by taking a year off. Stay sharp.
  • Ameera 2012/05/16 08:15:03
    Ameera
    +1
    plus they'll get lazy
  • Connect... Ameera 2012/05/16 13:39:00
    Connectification
    +1
    Kinda true :)
  • **weaselbee::StarkidJay* 2012/05/16 05:44:52
    **weaselbee::StarkidJay*
    +1
    I just don't think it's that great of an idea. I'm certainly not doing it.
    For some it is a very good thing, for others it isn't good. It really depends upon the individual
  • Lorelei Lee 2012/05/16 04:30:23
    Lorelei Lee
    I took a break. Probably the best thing I ever did. When I graduated from high school,I didn't know what I wanted to do. I know I would have dropped out after the first semester. I would have wasted my time and money. Starting college couple years later when I was older and maturer was best for me.
  • Connect... Lorelei... 2012/05/16 13:47:53
    Connectification
    What did you do to keep your mind from getting insane of the boredom :?
  • Lorelei... Connect... 2012/05/17 01:35:42
    Lorelei Lee
    +1
    Worked and roamed around.
  • Connect... Lorelei... 2012/05/17 04:05:57
    Connectification
    With the economy nowadays, I doubt that a high school graduate kid can find a work around :P
  • ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪ 2012/05/16 04:03:51
    ♫♪‼Chloey Arddun‼♫♪
    That's what I plan on doing when I graduate.
    If they've been going to school constantly from age 5 to 17(or different, depending on where you live) what's wrong with having a break?
  • Connect... ♫♪‼Chlo... 2012/05/16 13:48:30
    Connectification
    Because it's might redirect from the direction you should take for your future
  • Johann 2012/05/16 02:17:24
    Johann
    Knowing from myself, it is best for those who do not know where to start after school. I wished I took several months off than just go in July cause the parents wanted me to go right after graduation. I did not feel ready then. Going back to I wish I took time off, it was really too much and give myself some room to breath. I did take time off after returning home in 2009 from working at a scout ranch. Got a job a few months later, worked there for 6+ months then decided to uproot and move west. After getting a place, I then went back to college, much cheaper here in the west than the last place I went to. People care to help you where I am. Lucky for me, I did not do too badly like the first time I took and accuplacer test back on the east coast, they had studyguides to study up on. I feel that moving out west was something I wish I did when I was 18 than 21. At 23, I have I plan that I will stick with and can see myself achieving soon. My program being Welding.
  • Adam 2012/05/16 01:55:17
    Adam
    I wish I took a year. I could have worked, saved up money, and been in a much more advantageous position today. Sure, you may decide not to go during that year off, but lots of people that go to college straight from High School also drop out. If you decide not to go, then there's a good chance its because you realized that you shouldn't go. And if you take a year, you might very well get a better idea of the path to take from college to a career.
  • taylordoesntdeserve 2012/05/16 01:44:53
    taylordoesntdeserve
    +1
    I would be lost in my first year of college without the memory of highschool. This year I learned many great biology techniques and topics, and I feel like a year from now those things would not be as fresh in my head.
  • Kendra 2012/05/16 01:15:48
    Kendra
    I know a girl who's not going to college right away. She's taking a year to do volunteer work in Alaska. Everyone is supporting her because they know she'll have gained experience from doing this after she's done.
  • Bibliophilic 2012/05/16 00:46:47 (edited)
    Bibliophilic
    No, if you're not ready for college- don't go. A large percentage of college freshman that would have entered vocational school or entered the blue collar world in the past are now going to college. A BA or BS is now worth more than valuable skills or experience in many cases. I fear that the quality of many academic institutions has been taking a hit for decades. Yes, there are many who would not have had the opportunity in the past to go to college (and should be), but many students are not equipped nor do they possess the ability to succeed in the professional world. Empty diplomas do not improve the workplace or our society. College freshman flunk basic 101 classes due to sloth, and the over-indulgence of their parents. Just because one can attend, does not mean that one should.

Now, don't pull out the elitist card here. Going 'to college' is useless if one is not going to use it constructively. Sure, go ahead if you have piles of cash, but do NOT rack up a bunch of loans over a degree that will not pay off. Do not do what I did in my naiveté. College for the intellectual benefit is a fantastic idea, but do not slack off, obtain a worthless piece of paper and claim that America owes you a job. No one owes me a job either. And whatever you do- do not go into academia! It's a jungle out there.
  • Texas Gal 2012/05/16 00:05:30
    Texas Gal
    I think when a student graduates from high school they should keep going and go right into college. I think it's too much of a risk that the student won't go back to school if they take a break in between high school and college.
  • POWERSHAKER 2012/05/15 23:30:04

2014/09/16 09:30:02