Do You Think It Is SAD That Conservatives Care More About Protecting The GUN RIGHTS Of Mass Murderers Than They Do About Protecting Our Children?

Che Guevara - Hero 2013/01/14 23:18:02
Yes, I Agree. Gun Rights Protect Mass Murderers
No, Some Kids Have To Die. Mass Murders have rights too ! !
RAVE If You Think It Is SAD That Conservatives Care More About Protecting The GUN RIGHTS Of Mass Murderers Than They Do About Protecting Our Children

How we will beat the NRA

Mayor Bloomberg says: One month after Newtown, ordinary Americans must keep pressure on Washington to demand responsible gun laws that save lives

One month has passed since 20 children and six adults were gunned down at Sandy Hook Elementary School. No words could do justice to the horror we felt. No pictures could convey the anguish and grief of the survivors and their families. And no prayers could undo the evil of that day.

The children at Sandy Hook Elementary could have been our children — mine and yours. When parents drop their kids off at school, they do so knowing they will be safe. But they don’t know that anymore — not with absolute certainty. They can’t. Newtown shattered that illusion.

No place in America is safe from dangerous people armed with guns. Not elementary schools or universities. Not playgrounds or churches. Not malls or movie theaters.

Not unless Washington acts — now.

Over the last month, Americans in all 50 states have taken action. Nearly a million people have signed the “Demand a Plan” petition organized by Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a bipartisan coalition of more than 800 mayors from every region of the country.

Our petition — which you can sign by going to DemandaPlan.org — urges the President and Congress to require background checks for every gun sale, ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines and make gun trafficking a federal crime.

Daily News readers have also taken action: More than 100,000 of you have signed the Daily News petition calling on Congress and President Obama to ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines. I encourage everyone to get involved — by signing petitions, calling your representatives and supporting candidates and groups that are fully committed to common sense gun laws.

Last November, I supported five candidates for Congress who were running against NRA-backed candidates. Four of them won, showing that the NRA’s power is more myth than reality.

The lobbyists for groups like the NRA try to twist the issue of gun violence into a debate over the Second Amendment. But that debate is settled. The Supreme Court has ruled it is constitutional to place reasonable restrictions on guns, and nothing that we are proposing would run afoul of that standard.

This issue is not about whether we uphold the Constitution. It’s about whether members of Congress have the courage to buck a special interest group that is endangering our children — and all of America.

Gun owners understand this. In fact, more than 80% of gun owners support common sense steps — like background checks for all gun sales — to strengthen our gun laws. They recognize that those laws protect them, too. Right now, any violent criminal can log onto the internet or go to a gun show and buy a gun illegally. Whether or not you are a gun owner, that reality threatens all of us.

If we are serious about protecting lives, we have to get serious about enforcing our laws. It’s not enough to punish crime; our goal should be to prevent it.

That’s what we’ve done in New York City, and we’ve been able to reduce crime to record lows. Last year, we had the fewest number of homicides since records first started being kept in 1963, partly because we have some of the toughest gun laws in the country, and our police officers proactively enforce them.

But we cannot solve the problem of gun violence by ourselves. About 85% of all guns used in New York City crimes come from out of state, largely from states with very lax gun laws. This is a national problem that requires national leadership from our elected representatives in Washington. I have spoken with both President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden, and I am hopeful that they will take concrete action this week.

In the month since Sandy Hook, more than 100 mayors have joined our coalition of Mayors Against Illegal Guns. And yet, at the same time, nearly 1,000 more Americans have been murdered with guns. If Congress and the President fail to act, every month that passes there will be 1,000 more people murdered with guns — 48,000 people over the course of the President’s second term. That’s nearly as many casualties as we experienced in the entire Vietnam War.

We cannot allow another month to go by. We cannot allow guns to threaten our children and communities. We must hold Washington accountable for action — now.

Michael Bloomberg is mayor of New York.

SIGN THE ONLINE PETITION TO BAN ASSAULT WEAPONS
http://sparq.nydailynews.com/pages/4YSLXP/6g6h/Ban_all_assaul...

Read More: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/beat-nra-articl...

• Kaye 2013/03/25 22:46:30
    Kaye
    No,I don't agree that it protects murderers,but it goes against millions of gun owners who have never done anything wrong.They have rights too,and I stand behind the NRA and gun owners rights.I hate that anyone whether child or adult has died from some nutcase with a gun,but most gun owners are decent law abiding citizens.No matter how many guns you take away crooks will always have guns.Then everybody in this country will be at risk
  • Don Wenk 2013/03/25 16:57:36
    Don Wenk
    +1
    I only chose this answer to get your goat. Quit being bias and include other if you want an honest debate. I think it is sad that liberals use mass murderers as an excuse to take my right to defend myself from an oppressive government. Mass murders should be treated as the criminals they are.
  • Kaye Don Wenk 2013/03/25 22:48:13
    Kaye
    Amen!
  • mikeyavelli 2013/03/25 15:45:57
    mikeyavelli
    i have yet to see a registry of future mass murderers. but if there was one, i would be all for banning access to guns for those on the list. in the meanwhile, 64 million gun owners killed no one today.
  • shemararae 2013/03/25 15:43:26
    shemararae
    +1
    I think it's sad so many are so uninformed on this subject.
    Crime is higher in gun controlled states and countries, lower in gun held places. Gun free zones are killing zones, invite the criminal, they love those places where LAW abiding citizens have no right to protect themselves and aren't armed, because they can kill more and not face opposition.
    Criminals don't obey the 22 gun laws already on the books, they will not obey these, and when we are turning our guns over, they are not!
    I will not be left unarmed! That and fact government pushing gun controle and then buying up ammo and weapons by the thousands and more.....proves one thing, they intend to use it on you and controle you!!!! Wake up sheep!!!!
  • Kaye shemararae 2013/03/25 22:49:21
    Kaye
    Amen,totally agree
  • Stryder 2013/03/25 05:46:37 (edited)
    Stryder
    +3
    Idiotic poll answers aside, what's really sad are liberals who are too incredibly stupid to know the difference between mass murderers and law abiding citizens. Actually, it's not sad. It's pathetic.
  • GoDucks5 2013/03/25 05:06:35 (edited)
    GoDucks5
    +6
    Mass murderers are going to get guns and kill children no matter how much gun control you have. More gun control will just make it easier for them. It's sad some kids die but you can't prevent all of them which is sad but you are also an idiot. The Second Amendment is giving the people the right to protect themselves, not criminals.
  • Lawnmowerman~PWCM~JLA 2013/03/25 04:32:47
    Lawnmowerman~PWCM~JLA
    +7
    Nice answer choices, commie. BBLEE gave MY answer also, Get back to me about 'protecting our children' from mass murderers when abortion is outlawed.
  • shemararae Lawnmow... 2013/03/25 15:46:17
    shemararae
    +1
    Your awesome!!!
    So true, how about outlawing the real top weapons used in mass murder....suction tube and scissors? Or the top weapon used in homacides.....baseball bats!!! Yes, that's right..bats!!! Libtards!!
  • Mamaknows 2013/03/25 03:35:48
    Mamaknows
    +5
    Our 2nd amendment is about control. Not protecting criminals....my right to protect MYSELF and my FAMILY.
    The criminals that have hurt people already break the law....so punishing or belittling the average law abiding citizen for what a few phycos do? Makes no sense to me.
  • BBLEE 2013/03/25 03:05:38
    BBLEE
    +6
    Liberals Murder one and a half million Baby's a year, and this is how they show they Care, disarm the Citizens, to prepare them for Slaughter. They can fall for this crap, but I never will.
  • Kaye BBLEE 2013/03/25 22:51:36
    Kaye
    Totally agree
  • aaronharris54 2013/03/01 21:09:13
    aaronharris54
    +2
    After reading Mayor Bloomberg's opinions on guns we must stop and ask ourselves a few questions. What makes these "assault rifles", such as the AR-15 so much more dangerous than other rifles? Is it because they fire a .223 round, a round that has less range, kinetic energy, and destructive capabilities than other rifles? is it the pistol grip, which is the grip style that most efficiently and safely allows someone to use a rifle such as this? Is it the carrying handle that allows someone to carry their gun more safely? Or perhaps the adjustable stock, which makes the gun more comfortable and therefore safer to operate for people of all sizes? Or is it simply the fact that they are black, plasticy, and scary looking? And as far as the weapons that are being brought in from other states, where do you think they will come from if you allow these bans? The weapons will pour in from mexico along with the illegal immigrants that liberals are not being taken care of.
  • C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT 2013/01/28 02:29:57
    C-ZAR™, Emperor of the PHÆT
    +2
    I don't even think those bastards really have mental problems!
  • Calquho... C-ZAR™,... 2013/02/15 23:19:15
    Calquhoun Smith
    +4
    murdering 21 children? do sane people do this?
  • C-ZAR™,... Calquho... 2013/02/16 15:08:16
  • Charles E 2013/01/24 19:22:11
    Charles E
    +8
    Another Loony Left question from an anti American nut job with no reasonable answer available.
  • Prophet 2013/01/24 09:00:04
    Prophet
    +7
    Seeing that the mass murderers were all democrats anyway.
  • Che Gue... Prophet 2013/01/26 06:09:15 (edited)
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +1
    Mass Murderers were all Democrats ? Really ?

War Criminal George Bush slaughtered over 4,500 US Troops and over 1 Million Iraqi civilians so a few of his wealthy buddies could make Billions on Oil and Defense Contracts.

war criminal bush
  • Prophet Che Gue... 2013/01/26 06:13:04
    Prophet
    +4
    You ain't seen nothing yet. Just watch obamas minions in this country work. Comin to a town near you.
  • Super l... Prophet 2013/01/28 01:38:09
  • Super l... Che Gue... 2013/01/28 01:09:56
  • Kaye Che Gue... 2013/03/25 22:55:43
    Kaye
    While Obama is killing People in Benghazi,and millions of eldery US Citizens with Obamacare,and all the damned abortions
  • Super l... Prophet 2013/01/28 01:08:21
  • drdos1943 2013/01/24 01:59:59
    drdos1943
    +1
    Why am I answering this "beg the question" question. My apologies.
  • Neo Goh-Vash 2013/01/24 01:27:26
    Neo Goh-Vash
    +2
    A culture of fear begets a culture of fear.
  • Neo Goh... Neo Goh... 2013/01/24 01:42:37 (edited)
    Neo Goh-Vash
    +1
    Oh wait, we can't talk to crazies because Glen Beck, Sarah Palin, Ayn Rand, Bill O'Reilly said so. Whoops, I thought you were talking about terrorists, instead of talking about "rational" Americans.

Ones that see that deterence by fear "Gun Owners" begets more violence, because when someone is hurt by authorarianistic-tendancies, Amygdala-driven learn by anger, hostility, and fear, one way they respond is by pushing that hurt or trauma onto other beings.

Target the problem, and the problem goes away. Believe in magical idiology, problem festers.
  • drdos1943 Neo Goh... 2013/01/24 02:02:47 (edited)
    drdos1943
    +1
    Would you please explain that gibberish to someone who is a simple man? ...or are you exhibiting the same mentality as the latest shooters?

Members of the FBI are able to keep their jobs investigating responses such as yours.

Read it over when you are sober and think about it.
  • Neo Goh... drdos1943 2013/01/25 05:35:19 (edited)
    Neo Goh-Vash
    +1
    I was trying to be ironic, didn't come out as well as I thought it did. Chronic stress and C-PTSD causes me sometimes to ramble, even when using technology.

Isn't it strange that Ayn Rand, Sarah Palin, Bill O'Reilly, George Bush, Rush Limbaugh, Mark Lavine, and other Right-Wing Extremeists Conservatives told us that we should be in fear of the next terrorists attacks coming out of the Middle-East or Gangs that murder people with guns, want to use the very thing that they are afraid of to make their point that we need a "free society" that is held at gun point.

Based on Political Relativism, these very people would be the ones wanting us to grovel at the feet of The Church of England, back in the early days of our nation.

They resist new change, but any past things that didn't change in their time, they assume that it magically was supposed to be that way.
  • drdos1943 Neo Goh... 2013/01/25 06:41:37 (edited)
    drdos1943
    +1
    My apologies for the "ad hominem" attack. It appears that we agree. Somehow, we must get together to solve the problems which confront us. We need a leader to unite us.
  • Neo Goh... drdos1943 2013/01/25 08:43:43 (edited)
    Neo Goh-Vash
    +1
    I am wondering, why is that we always believ?e that we need only one in leadership? I am trying to figure that out. Is it because we always are told that we always believe that there has to be someone else to take that position? Are we, as humans, unconsciously so afraid of power, that we give it to those who would manipulate it? Or is it responsability of blame? If you have to make a decision that inevitably lead to either an end of your life or the lives of others, is it easier just give that power up to someone else?

Is there such thing as a peaceful neutralitity, where we throw stereotypes and assumptions out the window, or are our views always going to be shaded to our own viewpoint? Is motivated intuition and cognitive dissonence always going to be a canyon in the world that we call society?

It might be that, while we evolved into human beings, we still have tendencies underneath deep in our more primitive portions of brain, specifically in our limbic system, we are unconsciously driven to give up certain points-of-view, not based on reality, but on losing what we fear is our perception of reality. We get stuck in this moment of emotional intuition/anxiety that all other possibilities fly out the window.

To be honest, I feel that there are organisms, whether human, animal, ...

To be honest, I feel that there are organisms, whether human, animal, plant, virus, fungi, etc. that are out to hurt others; however, logic makes me feel as though the universe doesn't take sides. It might be survival, as in a virus, cancer, parasite that takes over a host. These "parasites", if given a place to adapt and survive, might not actually destory, but create something new. It might be fear, as when we as in humans fight over resources because we believe that there is not enough, though scientists, inventors, others are looking for ways in which to do it. Fear might be was cause to either hate technology because it might try to "take" us over, as in the Matrix or the Terminator. It is a possibility that it might actually bring us more truly together.

I am kinda getting long winded, but my question for any of those who want to ponder:
    ?: When you hit the end of your road, whether in this short life as a sentient being that gracefully decays into ashes, or if your life eternal, how would the universe and all of its creatures see you?
  • drdos1943 Neo Goh... 2013/01/26 06:24:31 (edited)
    drdos1943
    The elected head of a country is supposed to be a leader, uniting and guiding just as the coach of a sport's team is supposed to be a leader. I know what is expected of a leader because I've been one many times (Executive Director, CEO, Chair). Sometimes, however, one must take the reins because others refuse to do so or have the inability to do so.

You are a very discerning, sensitive, and philosophical person and must never cease questioning.

What is reality? .... I don't even want to try to answer that one. If everyone's perception of self and others were the same, then there might be such a thing as reality. Ever listen to the account of two people describing the same automobile accident?

About the only thing on this planet that intentionally is out to hurt anyone or any thing is we; but symbiotic relationships not only exist in Nature, they are also quite common when it comes to the human race. One good example is marriage. lol

We do not have to worry about life's being eternal...it isn't. ... and when the time comes for us to die, we do not have to worry about how the universe sees us. It is how we see ourselves. Have you ever read "Don Quixote" or "The Hobbit" or "Tom Jones"?
  • shemararae Neo Goh... 2013/03/25 15:54:51
    shemararae
    +1
    Who told you they where right wing extremist?? Oh, yeah
    ...the government democrats who don't want you to listen to them!! Sheep!!!
    We will be held at gun PIONT if we give up our rights!!
    The Church of England back in "days" was the one who said we can't have guns, one reason for our second amenD...your argument makes no sense anD is illogical!!
  • shemararae Neo Goh... 2013/03/25 15:50:57
    shemararae
    +1
    Oh, GOD forbid the poor criminal is killed when trying to break into my property or kill others!!!! SMH!!! GUN CONTROLE PROTECTS CRIMINALS!!!
  • Charlie 2013/01/23 16:04:29
    Charlie
    +2
    who every wrote this is an idiot...tell me again how criminals obey gun laws?
    so when a murderer kills 15 people in a shop in new york and had 2 10 rd clips...whats gonna happen? oh well youre being charged with 15 counts of 1st degree murder AND 2 misdemeanors of carrying too much ammo?
  • Karlheinz 2013/01/22 21:30:27 (edited)
    Karlheinz
    +2
    if that's the case, people take guns of civilians and give them too Mexicans and cartels and you wonder why people get killed on a regular basis but this stuff never gets mentioned on the news and never will.
  • anthony.teramino 2013/01/21 23:54:22
    anthony.teramino
  • ACE 2013/01/21 03:11:04
    ACE
    +6
    How do you expect normal sane people to defend ourselves? we cant afford armed guards like obummer and his minions.they took my money to pay for their guards.
  • Maxine ACE 2013/01/25 22:58:57
    Maxine
    +3
    Like Obama who has armed guard protection for life at his request............

2014/07/22 12:17:39