Do you think i should report this nurse for being a bigot?

Dan 2012/04/14 23:11:04
I have had issues with this nurse time and time again. I'm back in hospital having another round of treatment and once again she is assigned to me.

She makes snarky comments about me being homosexual and how her faith is against it.

Should i report her for this?

• Shawna gracious43 2012/04/15 00:18:55
    Shawna
    +3
    That's a good point. I was not aware of Dan's illness; I hope he gets better enough to leave hospital soon. The nurse is definitely being inappropriate both as a Christian and a nurse. But if we are following the rules for Christians, wouldn't Dan have to turn the other cheek? It would be good if Dan has family or friends to advocate for him too. It is useful for anyone who is in hospital to have that.
  • gracious43 Shawna 2012/04/15 00:33:41
    gracious43
    +3
    No Dan does not have to turn the other cheek. I'm unsure of the way it works in Canada, but in the US at least, which is not socialized medicine, Dan is considered a paying customer. We even use the term "Billable services" and it doesn't matter whether he is paying for it, or the government is paying for it, we cold-bloodedly consider patients as customers. The thing is, Obamacare is attempting to demand that hospital patients genuinely get healthy in hospital care and go home, where it is much cheaper to tend to them.

This nurse is violating "best practices" She already knows she can't do this and expect to keep her job. I can't believe she is that nervy. I need my job. My job is my daily bread. The only thing is, she waits for Dan's friends to leave before she starts preaching, so she could always deny it. But she will be noted so she won't dare do it to another patient. And she will definitely be relieved of her duties with Dan.

If she wants to debate, she can come right here to SH any day she choses.
  • Shawna gracious43 2012/04/15 00:42:42
    Shawna
    +3
    I agree that she should receive some sort of discipline and be removed from her duties with Dan. I Don't know what that nurse thinks or already knows but her behaviour isn't acceptable and Dan should not have to put up with it.
  • gracious43 Shawna 2012/04/15 00:52:39
    gracious43
    +3
    I'm telling you, she knows it. I was a CNA a long, long time ago, and I knew it then. The same thing with any religious disagreement. I wouldn't have been allowed to walk into a Catholic who was praying the rosary and mock them. The thing is a care-giver and a patient are not on equal footing. I was able to view them naked, and not the other way around. That demanded my utmost respect to them and professionalism.
  • Shawna gracious43 2012/04/15 01:08:24
    Shawna
    +1
    OH I didn't mean to question the logic of it, just that if she has strong religious convictions she might believe she is right to do what she is doing.
  • gracious43 Shawna 2012/04/15 01:45:52
    gracious43
    +1
    I think it might be different in Canada. Of course I don't know whether this is the US. I usually get on SH and forget that people from other countries are also here. But if this is a US nurse, she has been told.

The thing is, I have very conservative religious beliefs and I never felt that my job as a CNA conflicted with my beliefs. I felt very tender towards HIV patients, and even wrapped my arms around them, if I walked into their room and they looked lost and abandoned. I felt tender towards patients who were suffering, who had all kinds of religious beliefs that I didn't agree with. It didn't even occur to me to debate them about their beliefs.

It's not like you and I going at it. That can be fun! It would be like you coming at me when I was weak and vomiting, and couldn't sit up in bed. It would make you squeamish to even think about doing such a thing. All you would want to offer me was mercy and gentleness.
  • Shawna gracious43 2012/04/15 01:50:00
    Shawna
    +1
    Well be both know that there are good and kind people of all faiths including no faith. And there are people who claim faith but don't act the part. I know which one you are, and obviously this nurse is not like you. Sometimes it's hard for me to believe people can behave that way and I want to give them the benefit of the doubt. However I know that if I were to actually overhear her doing that to someone I would probably be all over her.
  • gracious43 Shawna 2012/04/15 01:53:17
    gracious43
    +3
    It would be better to report her to someone who would make her stop. She would probably just ignore you.
  • Shawna gracious43 2012/04/15 01:57:56
    Shawna
    +1
    Well I would have enjoy telling her why I was going to report her her first then report her. LOL-probably just a little fantasy. I have that sometimes-a fantasy about telling someone off which I never do in real life.
  • Dan Shawna 2012/04/15 01:58:58
    Dan
    +3
    My partner is a lawyer and is going to have a field trip when I tell him in detail about it
  • Shawna Dan 2012/04/15 02:00:54
    Shawna
    +3
    I hope you can get rid of her soon though, so you don't have to put up with her a minute longer! And I hope you get well enough to go home soon, too.
  • Dan Shawna 2012/04/15 02:02:26
    Dan
    +3
    I'm in for a long haul at the moment. About to get a home narrow transplant next week
    Sometime all going well.
  • Shawna Dan 2012/04/15 02:07:34
    Shawna
    +2
    I wish you all the best. I'm sorry for your troubles.
  • bricklyn Dan 2012/04/15 07:18:57
    bricklyn
    Her attitude should have been dealt with a long time ago. You are not the first person she has done this too, I am sure of that. Some one has to stop her befor she totally distroys a much weaker person than you are.
  • gracious43 Shawna 2012/04/15 02:08:01
    gracious43
    +2
    I know what you mean. I feel like Kathleen Kelly in "You've Got Mail" When I hear something just plain right mean and horrible:

"Kathleen Kelly: [talking via email to "NY152"] No, I know what you mean, and I'm completely jealous. What happens to me when I'm provoked is that I get tongue-tied and my mind goes blank. Then, then I spend all night tossing and turning trying to figure out what I should have said. What should I have said, for example, to a bottom dweller who recently belittled my existence?
  • Shawna gracious43 2012/04/15 02:12:06
    Shawna
    +2
    I usually come up with the best response about a day later.

I would like to be Kathleen Kelly-lol.
  • gracious43 Shawna 2012/04/15 02:15:04
    gracious43
    +2
    Or the gal Kathleen would like to be:

Elizabeth Bennett with Mr Darcy. Oh, yeah! Oh yeah, baby!
  • Shawna gracious43 2012/04/15 02:18:21
    Shawna
    +2
    LOL-that too!
  • gracious43 Shawna 2012/04/15 02:21:40 (edited)
    gracious43
    +1
    My fifteen year old niece came to visit me and we watched Pride and Prejudice together. She had never seen it. Later she remarked :"How can any movie be more romantic than Pride and Prejudice?"

I used to read that book, and turn around and read it again. Come to think of it--I think I'll watch the movie again tonight.
  • Shawna gracious43 2012/04/15 03:08:59
    Shawna
    I"m watching Mamma Mia tonight as it's coming on tv, but I watch Pride and Prejudice often. Once when I was sick my parents rented every version of Pride and Prejudice that there is and I watched them all in a marathon. The one with Colin Firth is my favourite but there is another one that is also quite good and very true to the original dialogue. I often find that I will like one character in one of the movies best and another character in another movie. If that makes sense.
  • gracious43 Shawna 2012/04/15 03:16:40
    gracious43
    +1
    I like the 1995 BBC movie the best, but Colin Firth is just too stiff. I like Matthew Macfadyen in the 2005 movie much better.
  • Shawna gracious43 2012/04/15 03:20:52
    Shawna
    +1
    I like Colin Firth's stiffness. I think it is what makes his Darcy kind of sweet. I like Jennifer Ehle too-the 1995 Elizabeth.
  • gracious43 Shawna 2012/04/15 04:14:07
    gracious43
    +1
    Oh, she is pretty.

Right now I am watching the 1980 version on amazon online videos, and that Mr Darcy, David Rintoul, is f-i-n-e, fine!

He is the most handsome Mr Darcy. But I don't like this movie at all.

You know women are addicted to this story, 15-100 years of age. Maybe younger or older. I can't even imagine a life without this story. What did women do before Mr Darcy and Elizabeth?
  • Shawna gracious43 2012/04/15 04:19:28
    Shawna
    +1
    I can't imagine. It's the best.
    David Rintoul's Darcy always looked like there was a bad smell in the room.
  • gracious43 Shawna 2012/04/15 04:31:25
    gracious43
    +1
    Yes, that is what I am seeing too. I've never watched this version before, but he really acts waaaaay too snooty.

The dresses from that period are right back in style, have you noticed? So is all of the lace. Sometimes I wish I could live in those times, but then I remember that my family would have been the servants.

Mr. Collins: And what excellent boiled potatoes. It's been many years since I had such an exemplary vegetable. To which of my fair cousins should I compliment the cooking?

Mrs. Bennet: We are perfectly able to keep a cook.
  • Shawna gracious43 2012/04/15 04:51:50
    Shawna
    +1
    LOL-I love the Mr. Collins character. He is so delightfully awful. Poor Charlotte. Imagine having to hook yourself to that in order to survive.

I always think I would have made a good Edwardian lady of leisure, but then I remember that it's not fun to have nothing to do because you aren't allowed to do anything.
  • gracious43 Shawna 2012/04/15 05:08:31
    gracious43
    +2
    Well we don't have that in common. I would love a life of leisure. L-O-V-E it!

The Spanish have a saying.."To do nothing, and then afterwards to rest."

Maybe Mr Collins died young, and left Charlotte with enough to survive, and then and she found a great guy. Black is a great color on some women. That isn't wishing Mr Collins ill. He made it to heaven, right?
  • Shawna gracious43 2012/04/15 05:10:16
    Shawna
    +1
    I'm sure he made it to heaven. I like leisure too, but I don't like being told what to do and I don't like being told what I cannot do. I would have made a good suffragette though.
  • gracious43 Shawna 2012/04/15 05:15:16
    gracious43
    +1
    Oh my goodness! If someone told me I was too dainty to clean my house and someone else would do it for me, that w-o-u-l-d be heaven.

You know those signs you get at hotels that you put on the door knob saying "Maid Service Please."? I bought one and put it on the outside knob of my front door. It's such a hoot!
  • Shawna gracious43 2012/04/15 05:17:16
    Shawna
    +2
    I live in an apartment and I entertain my neighbours with the signs I put on my door. I currently have one advertising for a handsome dishwasher.
  • gracious43 Shawna 2012/04/15 05:30:39
    gracious43
    +2
    That's pretty good.
  • gracious43 Shawna 2012/04/15 06:58:37
    gracious43
    +2
    I'm not watching any more of the 1980 movie. Elizabeth is too sweet, and Mr Darcy is as mean as a cold-blooded snake.
  • Shawna gracious43 2012/04/15 20:29:49 (edited)
    Shawna
    +1
    LOL-Elizabeth is definitely not sweet. There's one that was done in the 40s too. I think it was the 40's. It's pretty bad-lol.
  • gracious43 Shawna 2012/04/15 20:50:36
    gracious43
    +2
    Yes I saw part of it on youtube. It was r-e-a-l-l-y bad. My favorite is the 1995 BBC version. Even Collin Firth started to grow on me.
  • Shawna gracious43 2012/04/15 21:08:17 (edited)
    Shawna
    +2
    Colin Firth is the best Mr.Darcy, hands down. LOL-in my humble opinion. I think this moment of looking so vulnerable has something to do with it. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3TG...
  • gracious43 Shawna 2012/04/15 21:14:27
    gracious43
    +1
    Ah, your link doesn't work. I watched it last night. so I know he grew on me. I still like the 2005 Mr Darcy the best. But I liked the 1995 movie the best.

The 1980 version had Elizabeth acting so sweet and demure that she could have posed as Melanie in "Gone With the Wind." I kid you not. I didn't like it at all. I paid for it, and I had to quit watching it.

I want to read the new novel "Murder comes to Pembrook." I think that is the name.
  • Shawna gracious43 2012/04/15 21:27:40
    Shawna
    +2
    I want to read that novel too. I'm waiting for the paperback to come out in second hand book stores-lol. I think it's Pemberly. That's the name of Mr. Darcy's ancestral mansion.

The link works when I click on it-that's too bad. It's a still shot of him looking all sexy and wet when he comes out of the lake, but he also looks sad and wistful.
  • gracious43 Shawna 2012/04/15 21:38:13
    gracious43
    +2
    I remember that scene. I'll try it again. That's right, it is Pemberly. A friend of mine from work read it. I have a Barnes and Noble membership. I hope I can get it there cheaper. Books are sooo expensive. and those "Nooks" are no great deal either.

I want to see if Elizabeth is still spunky. I know she has children, and so does Jane. Remember Lydia's husband? In this book, he is a suspect, but it turns out he wasn't guilty. That is all my friend told me.
  • Shawna gracious43 2012/04/15 21:39:32
    Shawna
    +1
    Wicked Wickham-lol. Yes he is an obvious suspect so he has to actually turn out to be innocent.
  • gracious43 Shawna 2012/04/15 22:07:53
    gracious43
    +2
    Okay I just ordered it through Alibri used books.Just talking about it makes me want it more. I get that way sometimes. I can't think about books too long without wanting to read them. It wasn't that expensive, used, for a hardback. When I'm done, I'll mail it to you, if you want, and you can keep it or pass it on.

2014/08/22 17:41:28