Do You Think Diane Schuler Is to Blame for Tragic Crash?

HonkyTonkWoman 2011/07/27 22:42:49

SLIDESHOW: Is Diane Schuler to Blame for Car Crash?

1 of 8

On July 26, 2009 Diane Schuler got into a car with her son, daughter and three nieces and mistakenly started driving the wrong way on a parkway.
  1. On July 26, 2009 Diane Schuler got into a car with her son, daughter and three nieces and mistakenly started driving the wrong way on a parkway.

2. She hit an SUV with three passengers going the wrong way.

3. Everyone except Diane Schuler's 5-year-old son died in the car crash, including the riders of the SUV.

4. Toxicology reports now reveal that Diane Schuler was both drunk and high during the time of the collision, with a blood-alcohol level of .19

5. Diane Schuler's husband is now saying that those reports are wrong and that Diane was completely sober when driving the car.

6. And that there should have been more road signs near the parkway.

7. Diane's husband is now suing the state for the crash, saying there should have been more road signs on the parkway.

8. Do you think Diane Schuler is to blame for the car crash? Or the state?

If you don't know about the Diane Schuler crash, look through the slide show and read on. Then let me know if you think she's to blame. I do.

On July 26, 2009 Diane Schuler got into a car with her daughter and three nieces and mistakenly started driving the wrong way on a parkway. She hit the car

• FatherLiberty 2012/05/08 16:28:05
    FatherLiberty
    +3
    Who else is there to blame? She drove the car, right? She drove the wrong direction, right? She killed 4 inncocent children, right? I feel sorry for the father, the surviving son, and the parents of the other three children. What a shame...

• Carol Byrd 2014/10/14 13:22:59
    Carol Byrd
    What a tragedy..doesn't matter about the road signs..she was driving the wrong way..she was totally the blame in this tragedy..her husband does not want to admit her guilt in this matter..but it is plain as day..this woman had drank too much and got behind the wheel.
  • Sean 2014/08/27 07:17:08 (edited)
    Sean
    Most importantly here is the fact that 8 people lost their lives. If Diane was not driving a car on this day.... then 8 people would still be alive. My opinion will be just that.. my own. I believe she had a secret. One that involved her secret love affair with substance abuse that she didn't want anyone to know about. She has been labeled a perfectionist by everyone that knew her. Whether it was work, socially, and at home she ran a tight ship. I feel that she was an unhappy person but played the perfect mommy, and wife well. A person who can't see carrying a carload of children, stopping and vomiting multiple times never asking anyone for help, losing her cellphone after someone had just said they were on there way to help.. and she just keeps getting in the car to try desperately to make it wherever she is trying to go.. on her own. I believe she did not want to wait because she desperately didn't want anyone to see her impaired. In my mind if I were suffering from a severe medical problem and children and others safety could be in jeopardy, I believe I would immediately stop, get out and wander into traffic on foot alone dazed and confused begging for help from anyone before I drove any further in that car. But in the end we will never know the real story. All we know is 8 lives are gone, and many more have been devastated by this.
  • karma3p80 2014/06/30 17:01:57
    karma3p80
    +1
    No one really knows what happened, but here is my best guess: Diane was having some sort of medical issue, whether it be tooth pain or something else and was in a great deal of pain. She stopped at the place where she called her brother and her niece called her mother, realizing that she couldn't go on driving any longer. She was having a medical issue that was causing her to not be able to see straight, blurry and slur her words. Since she was stopped and in pain, she decided to try and ease the tremendous pain with the vodka bottle that was in her van as well as some marijuana, while she waited for her brother. The combination of the two drugs caused her to blackout completely and she continued on in a sleepwalking like state, instead of waiting for her brother. Motorists described her as not reacting to anything else on the road and driving straight forward which is why I believe she was blacked out. Then she crashed. Just a theory.
  • cheryl.... karma3p80 2014/09/06 01:37:25
    cheryl.bennett.37201
    +1
    I believe that Diane Schuler had a problem that goes all the way back to her childhood when her mother left the family and set up the situation for Diane to be the surrogate wife/mother for her father and brothers. This is alot to put on a 9 year old child. Diane could never forgive her mother and she did her best to be the "perfect" wife and mother" and totally in control of all situations. Her friends state she had to control everything in their relationships and in her life. I believe that there was an argument over the weekend and that there was alcohol and marijuana in the mix. Why was the father going home alone with Diane left to handle all of the children, feeding them, making sure their needs were met. Anyone that has children know they can be rowdy on a trip and if she was in pain, the noise would have been a huge problem mixing with the pain. She needed work done on her teeth yet she was so much in control that she walked out of an appointment when it could have been cleared up. She was afraid of the pain and no one helped her deal with it. A good dentist/endodontist could have made it almost painfree. Her mother-in-law stated the fact that she had spoiled her son and Diane continued spoiling him. Diane was the breadwinner according to her sister-in-law. ...
    I believe that Diane Schuler had a problem that goes all the way back to her childhood when her mother left the family and set up the situation for Diane to be the surrogate wife/mother for her father and brothers. This is alot to put on a 9 year old child. Diane could never forgive her mother and she did her best to be the "perfect" wife and mother" and totally in control of all situations. Her friends state she had to control everything in their relationships and in her life. I believe that there was an argument over the weekend and that there was alcohol and marijuana in the mix. Why was the father going home alone with Diane left to handle all of the children, feeding them, making sure their needs were met. Anyone that has children know they can be rowdy on a trip and if she was in pain, the noise would have been a huge problem mixing with the pain. She needed work done on her teeth yet she was so much in control that she walked out of an appointment when it could have been cleared up. She was afraid of the pain and no one helped her deal with it. A good dentist/endodontist could have made it almost painfree. Her mother-in-law stated the fact that she had spoiled her son and Diane continued spoiling him. Diane was the breadwinner according to her sister-in-law. Her husband never wanted kids....so he was left with a son he never wanted. He was too spoiled to deal with him. If you watch the film, you can see the child doesn't even want to hold his Dad's hand when they are walking. I think this is a sad marriage and even a sadder life for the young boy...having to deal with his pain and problems seeing as well as being left with a father that doesn't want the child to mourn for his mother. Daniel says that's life and this is what we have left to deal with. She was a very unhappy woman in a situation she couldn't control and how it all turned out is no surprise. Another situation she tried to control and failed. Sad for all included for their losses and no one to take responsibility for the accident.
  • Gina 2014/05/29 16:27:55
    Gina
    I drink, I have kids and I never drink and drive. Period. She had TEN SHOTS OF VODKA in her system, and just smoked pot. Who else's fault could it possibly be??? When her brother said he was coming to get her; to remain where she was, she took off and purposely went the wrong way on the highway. I believe she got the result she was looking for. And it is sad how selfish she was in taking the lives of her nieces, her daughter and innocent people! It wasn't that long a ride - she couldn't wait until she got home? Seriously? And someone needs to get Danny on a lie detector test. He knows ALOT more than he's saying. Something led to her snapping that day - and he knows what it is.
  • R Troutt 2013/05/26 06:29:39
    R Troutt
    Did anyone catch in the documentary the sister in law says that Mr. Schuler said to her that he never wanted kids only Diane and that look at what he has to deal with now? Did anyone catch that? HE also said that Diane promised to take care of the kids and now he has to raise his son? Something is just not right here.
  • Christine 2013/01/29 16:50:15
    Christine
    +1
    Please look into the effects Ambien has on its users. Like Diane I also took Ambien and while I have no memory of my actions I was drinking doing drugs and putting over 300 mile on my car in one night without a clue where I been... As if that was not enough I woke up one morning missing a large part of my tooth. If it was not for my family recording me and my behavior I would of never believed the things I have done. I have a strong feeling she sadly had the strong adverse reaction to Ambien like myself and made a very bad choice. I'm praying for all families involved. Even the first responders and even the poor people that had to lose sleep over those eight angels. Xbossybabyx@gmail.com
  • ByGolly 2013/01/03 02:05:01
    ByGolly
    We will never know why she chose to drink vodka and smoke marijuana that day with five children in the car, but that's what she did. All we can do is speculate. Pain? You can get pain medication anywhere, not just at the gas station. And besides, do we really know that's what she was asking for? What kind of gas station/convenience store doesn't carry some type of pain reliever anyway? Hung over? Maybe, but does that really excuse the behavior? I think not. At the end of the day, the "why" doesn't really matter.
  • bombers-mama 2012/09/29 22:13:16
    bombers-mama
    This is a huge tragedy, but hopefully serves as a wake-up for those out there who stretch themselves too thin trying to be "perfectly in control". After watching the HBO documentary, which was excellently done, it is obvious that she was a time bomb: no one can keep the pace she was at and stay sane. She was already self medicating - but made sure no one saw how bad it was. Those you love should always matter more than having all the housework done, and being immaculately dressed. My heart goes out to her family and her victims' families as while she made her choices, she did so after a life of trying to control every outcome to make up for her mother's perceived betrayal of their family.
  • Sonia 2012/09/02 01:47:59
    Sonia
    +1
    Has anyone ever questioned that they were away on a trip and the content of alcohol and weed could be an overall consumption of partying that weekend once the kids were asleep. Just because they found those levels in her system does'nt mean she was driving and chugged back a bottle of vodka and smoked some weed this whole case makes no sense. I 100% percent believe that she was suffering from possibly her tooth which could have caused massive poisoning to travel to her brain and that this clouded her judgement made her delirious and unable to comprehend what was going on but there is definite cause to believe that this was something neurological. Everyone is so quick to jump and point the finger but I think there needs to be a full autopsy on her brain to rule that out. It seems like the state was quick to do a simple test and never go in depth. I believe she is innocent and that no one knows how one would react in a situation that is medical if your brain becomes the affected area there is no way she would be of sound mind so why do people expect sound judgement from someone suffering neurologically?
  • kimy Sonia 2012/09/06 07:21:37 (edited)
    kimy
    +1
    Clearly you know nothing about the facts in this story or how the human body actually functions. In addition to having a .19 blood alcohol level, she had UNDIGESTED alcohol in her stomach contents, indicating that she was drinking right up until the moment of the crash. Alcohol or any drink (liquid form) for that matter doesn't sit in your stomach all weekend and accumulate without passing through. Once you drink a sip of liquid, it moves from your stomach into your duodenum and then into the small intestine where it is then absorbed- with liquids this happens in a matter of MINUTES!....15-20 at the MOST. Additionally, toxicology tests indicate that the pot was smoked within 1 hour of the crash- so no, not something that happened over the weekend. Also, lets just say that your impossible scenario is true- why would that be okay for them to have been partying all weekend with kids there? Adults responsible for 5 children should not be getting drunk and high with 5 children in their care whether they are asleep or not. That is also completely irresponsible and unacceptable. This whole tooth theory is a bunch of BS- plenty of people have abscessed teeth that they don't get taken care of and don't go into a state of delirium. The odds of that happening are more than a million to 1. Even if the tooth story were true, it doesn't explain why she was drinking large amounts of alcohol and smoking weed while driving.
  • Cat54 Sonia 2012/10/03 14:33:20
    Cat54
    +1
    I agree with you.....there is more to this story. The professionals(just educated people, not God....they can only make an educated summation). They did not attempt to see any other cause for Diane's tragic accident. I have done some research on false/positive BAC It does happen.
    What I don't understand is how mean, finger pointing and judgmental people are. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!
  • karen crawford 2012/08/23 19:56:15
    karen crawford
    I DONT CARE how many signs there were........she could have had a yellow brick road to light her way but she was drunk and high....no matter how many signs there were she wouldnt have acknowleged them in her stoned, drunken stuper
  • Maurice Tillman 2012/05/10 08:30:44
    Maurice Tillman
    ...I'm not going to call her stupid but I hope you all imply it.
  • BRIDGET 2012/05/10 03:07:38
    BRIDGET
    SHE MUST HAVE MULTIPLE GUARDIAN ANGELS TO SURVIVE THIS!
  • JohnT 2012/05/09 22:26:14
    JohnT
    It looks that way. Being on the wrong side of the road on a busy Parkway is not something a person does everyday. I would say she is at fault on that basis but with very little else to go on other than pictures that is minimal circumstantial evidence.
  • Rusty Shackleford 2012/05/09 21:38:25
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    It doesn't matter if she was drunk or not, if she was driving on the wrong side of the road, she is at fault for the crash.
  • FatherLiberty 2012/05/08 16:28:05
    FatherLiberty
    +3
  • cheryl.... FatherL... 2014/09/06 02:01:09
    cheryl.bennett.37201
    +2
    I agree....I feel sorry for the children that were killed and their parents and the 3 men that also were killed. I don't understand the fact the Daniel has filed a suit against his brother-in-law because he owned the van Diane was driving. "JUST BECAUSE HE OWNED THE VAN" There was nothing wrong with the van...just the driver. Is he saying he shouldn't have let her drive because he knew she smoked pot and drank alcohol? I think being her husband he knew she smoked pot (which he probably smoked with her) and she drank. Can't we be honest here.....he just wants to keep from being sued. What a piece of ......
  • Margaret Jacobson 2012/04/23 18:55:52
    Margaret Jacobson
    If you LIVE in an area, you generally know WHERE to go, common sense PLEASE........SHE KILLED AND MAIMED .........SHE WASb TO BLAME !!!!!!!!!
  • Get Bashed 2012/04/16 08:11:51
    Get Bashed
    There is no one else "LEFT" to blame, and unfortunately in these kinds of situations, someone has to be held accountable. Lives where lost and not just from her family.
  • Lana 2012/04/15 23:23:15
    Lana
    I'd lynch his sorry ass before I'd pay him a dam thing if I was the State. He is a delusional jerk and has Ia hell of a lot of nerve to try to get money off a tragedy this sick bitch (and that is truly what she was-sick, since addiction is a disease-)was. That has got to be the GROSSEST EXAMPLE OF ILL-GOTTEN GAIN I HAVE EVER HEARD OF IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. and this is truly appalling. NO FREAKING WAY, HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ellen.borak 2012/03/28 21:17:55
    ellen.borak
    There is something more to this case. Either a neuro issue or some other medical issue. It makes no sense at all. Also wonder if she could have been slipped something in her drink from McDonalds....
  • Lana ellen.b... 2012/04/15 23:24:04
    Lana
    Are you kidding?
  • Lana Lana 2012/04/15 23:24:55
    Lana
    The women was a drug addict that should not have been driving. Pure and simple.
  • kimy ellen.b... 2012/09/06 07:30:38
    kimy
    +3
    Yeah, like SHE slipped the vodka into her own OJ that she bought at Mc Donalds. One of her co-workers mentioned in a news report that she was known for going out for drinks after work and her favorite drink was a SCREWDRIVER! There was a bottle of Absolute Vodka in the car at the crash scene. Who would have "slipped" this to her? One of the kids? A worker at Mc Donalds? I don't think so. What would their motive have been? She would have had to buy a massive drink there for them to have filled it or slipped in more than 10 shots worth of vodka, plus something else to cover it up and her not notice it. Wake up. What about this story makes no sense? She was a closet alcoholic. You'd be surprised at how many "super moms" are. She was likely hungover from partying all weekend and decided to medicate with some more of the vodka that she had been hitting the night before. She probably decided to do this after she was unable to obtain pain medication from the gas station that she stopped at.
  • ellen.b... kimy 2012/09/13 00:20:17
    ellen.borak
    +3
    Good point Kimy. She might have hit the bottle since she couldn't get any pain meds. She was pretty wasted though. Most closet drunks that are that hard core can't hide it that well and her Brother and his wife seemed like the responsible types that wouldn't let her drive the kids if they knew she was that out of control. I think there is something more. She could have had a TIA or CVA and had no clue what she was doing. The weed could still be fresh in her system from the night before. Most executives know better than to get THAT wasted with the kids in the car. Very odd story.
  • D Cochran 2012/01/30 17:54:26
    D Cochran
    +2
    Well im sure I will get many thumbs down for this comment and I am a little upset that I had to vote before commenting, but I did vote. I won't say what I voted though. First of all it was an "ACCIDENT". I do NOT think she was smoking pot and drinking vodka in the car with her children and her neices. I do believe she had THC and alcohol in her blood. So what that she smoked pot. Many people do. If she smoked pot 2 weeks before it would still be in her blood, urine and in her hair folicals for much longer. I don't believe it was minutes before the "ACCIDENT". As far as the alcohol, it stays in your system for at least 2 days or more. There are many other things that it could have been and it is unfortunate that we will not ever know what was really wrong with her. Diabetes is one thing that is possible. Low blood sugar can make people test positive for high blood alcohol levels, headaches and if the levels are really low a person can be in an almost catatonic state. She was on a camping trip and her husband said they drank when they were camping. If she drank the night before and had the onset of diabetes her pancrease can not process the alcohol and if she wasn't treated with some sort of insulin the worse she would get with the time passing. My fiance is a Type ...

Well im sure I will get many thumbs down for this comment and I am a little upset that I had to vote before commenting, but I did vote. I won't say what I voted though. First of all it was an "ACCIDENT". I do NOT think she was smoking pot and drinking vodka in the car with her children and her neices. I do believe she had THC and alcohol in her blood. So what that she smoked pot. Many people do. If she smoked pot 2 weeks before it would still be in her blood, urine and in her hair folicals for much longer. I don't believe it was minutes before the "ACCIDENT". As far as the alcohol, it stays in your system for at least 2 days or more. There are many other things that it could have been and it is unfortunate that we will not ever know what was really wrong with her. Diabetes is one thing that is possible. Low blood sugar can make people test positive for high blood alcohol levels, headaches and if the levels are really low a person can be in an almost catatonic state. She was on a camping trip and her husband said they drank when they were camping. If she drank the night before and had the onset of diabetes her pancrease can not process the alcohol and if she wasn't treated with some sort of insulin the worse she would get with the time passing. My fiance is a Type 1 diabetic and if his sugar gets really low he has ringing in his ears which would explain her not being able to hear, and he also starts getting very anxious,and the lower it gets he starts not making and sense and after his sugar levels out he sometimes doesn't remember most of what he did. All he has to do is check his blood and eat something with high sugar. If this was happeing to Diane she wouldn't know or understand what was happening to her. And im sure that if that was to happen to me I would freak out and become anxious like she did. What she was doing did not make sense. 4 hours to make a 30 minute trip, dialing 3 wrong numbers entering a highway the wrong way and went against traffic for almost 2 miles. I DO NOT BUY IT. She was a very smart woman. Everyone testified to that. There is video of her walking into the convenience store and she didn't seem impaired and the witnesses that saw her driving said she seemed to be driving eratically and looking straight ahead almost in a catatonic state, but they all said she was driving in a straight line and not weaving in and out of the lines and if she was impaired like they say I would think she would have not been able to do that. I feel for this family so much. I can't imagine the pain they have all been through. The 3 victims in the SUV were innocent victims just as the children. But I also feel pain for Diane. I do believe there was a medical issue that caused her to react the way she did. Thats just my opinion........ I voted yes she did cause the "ACCIDENT" But I dont think she was drunk or stoned at the time.

PS: I do not drink and I do not smoke pot (I did about 23 years ago as a teen) but if you were to ask me Alcohol is what should be illegal and pot should be legal. That's just me coming from a family of alcoholics!
  • Barbara Hollenbeck 2011/12/29 23:50:39
    Barbara Hollenbeck
    +1
    I had an AVM about 6 years ago and experienced the same terrible headache, dizziness, trouble
    seeing and vomiting that Diane Schuler experienced before her crash.
    If no one has looking into this as a possible reason, I really think you should.
    Having an AVM is a neurological problem that comes on suddenly and is VERY serious.
  • Rusty S... Barbara... 2012/05/09 21:40:19
    Rusty Shackleford
    That doesn't matter, if you have a medical condition that causes you to crash, you are still at fault.
  • Rachel Rusty S... 2012/05/10 00:45:22
    Rachel
    You are at fault in the sense that you caused the accident, but it's something that can be truly blamed on you because it wasn't something that you could control. Unless, of course, you know you have a medical condition that can be controlled through medication or something, but you choose to not take your prescriptions.

Granted, this is all hypothetical. If she were drunk or high as is claimed, it's completely her fault. I can't believe the husband is trying to blame the state, regardless of what actually caused her to crash (drugs/alcohol vs. medical condition).
  • Rusty S... Rachel 2012/05/10 20:01:06
    Rusty Shackleford
    +1
    The only way that I would hold the state responsible is if there were NO signs AND there were NO lines painted on the road.

Even divided highways have a yellow line on the left and a white line on the right, if you see a yellow line on the right, you are at fault.
  • Rachel Rusty S... 2012/05/10 20:47:11
    Rachel
    +1
    That's a good point. I was thinking about the signs, but I didn't even remember about the lines on the road...
  • Anne Gu... Barbara... 2013/04/15 16:40:01
    Anne Gullible
    +3
    Everything you mention could have just as easily been a result of a hangover and seeing that she had a bottle of vodka in the vehicle, a blood alcohol content of .19 and undigested alcohol in her stomach, chances are she was tryng to "treat: the hangover with more booze. The autopsy showed no brain abnormalities.
    Please top calling this an "accident", there was nothing "accidental" about it.
  • andrea taylor 2011/08/28 03:02:57
    andrea taylor
    i feel diane schuler was a very controlling fat bitch that was the bread winner in the family so she ran everybody such as her husband and even her sister inlaw she was a weed smoker and she was a drinker her husband and sister inlaw tried to make like she was a angel and they did not no she drank and somked what a joke she should have waited for her brother to come if she was so inpaired that she was haveing a hard time seeing the fat bitch had to much to drink and smoke and she killed her daugther and her brother children and three other people if there was any person in the world that need to go to hell diane schuler is that person fat bitch
  • D Cochran andrea ... 2012/01/30 18:01:08
    D Cochran
    +4
    Wow! There really are alot of ignorant people in the world. How dare you. Spelling and grammer proves it!.
  • Anne Gu... D Cochran 2013/04/15 16:42:25
    Anne Gullible
    +2
    That would be "grammar"
  • Nicki D Cochran 2013/04/27 12:40:40
    Nicki
    +4
    Since you're correcting spelling and grammar, "a lot" is two words not one!
  • John 2011/08/24 10:28:08
    John
    Cant deny the .19. She was drunk and high and missed the 87 junction. She was so drunk she left her cell phone the first time she stopped. Oh, her voice mail used her maiden name? Means she was obviously not proud or happy with her husband. No doubt that helped the smoking and drinking and he knows it
  • 2011/08/08 03:52:05
    +2
    After watching the documentary, I do believe that she caused the accident. I think there was something medically wrong with her that could have clouded her judgement, though. It just doesn't seem plausible that a mother, who had never been in trouble before, would suddenly start drinking vodka (straight from the bottle) and blowing weed at 11am with 5 kids in the car. She was seen vomiting on the side of the road twice before the accident, and the son said his mother had told them she was hurting and couldn't see. Something clearly wasn't right with this woman, but we'll probably never know the whole story. I'm just so happy to hear that the couple who lost their three precious girls in this accident are now expecting another baby.

2014/12/18 18:21:11