Do you think Congressmen should use taxpayer money to lease luxury cars for themselves?

HarleyCharley 2012/06/17 00:41:55
Yes they need them to ride around and raise campaign funds.
No they think they are royalty.
I think...
In these tough times Americans are looking for ways to save. So it may surprise you that many members of congress are driving around in luxury cars that are paid for with your tax dollars and its perfectly legal. Inside Edition's Lisa Guerrero and the I-squad spent two months investigating congressional car leases.

When Congressman Gregory Meeks of Queens, New York makes the rounds in his home district, he does it in style - in a Lexus 450 hybrid. This kind of luxury doesn't come cheap. His Lexus costs a whopping $1,289 a month to lease. But that's no problem for Congressman Meeks because he's not paying for it. You are.

And his colleague, Congressman Edolphus Towns of Brooklyn, NY also has a taste for an expensive set of wheels. We found him zipping around town in a luxurious Lincoln MKZ hybrid, costing $957/month - and you paid for that too.

Taxpayers we spoke with were outraged. "I can't afford a luxury vehicle, I don't know why they should have one.," said a New York City woman.

"It just doesn't make sense that taxpayers would be paying for that.," said another.

"I find it outrageous and a misuse of funds," a young woman fumed.

Joe Barton, the fiscally conservative congressman from Texas cruises around in an impressive Chevy Tahoe that costs you $999 a month. "It drives real well," Barton told Inside Edition.

Barton says he sees nothing wrong with the hefty price tag and even offered to take an Inside Edition reporter for a ride. He says he leased the car because it's manufactured in his district, at the GM assembly plant in Arlington, Texas. "It's an official vehicle paid for by the taxpayers and it's used in my official duties," said Barton.

INSIDE EDITION found at least 82 out of 435 U.S. representatives lease cars for use in their home District.

Some have taste for luxury, like Congressman Bobby Rush, of Illinois, who represents President Obama's home district in Chicago. Rush rides around in a $1,027/month Lexus hybrid.

Inside Edition's findings are getting a lot of attention, including the O'Reilly Factor.

"C'mon congressmen. I lease a car and pay about $600 a month and it's a nice car," said O'Reilly on his popular cable news program.

Most of the congressmen we observed riding around in those expensive leases were not eager to talk about their leases, so Inside Edition Chief Investigative Correspondent, Lisa Guerrero went to Washington to get some answers.

• beach bum 2012/06/17 09:46:11
    No they think they are royalty.
    beach bum
    no
  • DJPanicDC 2012/06/17 00:52:14
    I think...
    DJPanicDC
    They should be required to drive only union made electric cars,
  • HarleyCharley 2012/06/17 00:43:06
    No they think they are royalty.
    HarleyCharley
    when will the corruption end...

2014/09/03 00:28:34