Do you think cities should ban plastic grocery bags?

ABC News U.S. 2013/06/23 10:16:32
Related Topics: Bags
The Los Angeles City Council on Tuesday tentatively approved a ban on single-use plastic bags. Another vote to finalize the ban has been scheduled for next week.

The council voted 11-to-1 for the law, which would prohibit stores from handing out plastic grocery bags. There would also be fines for violating the ban.

The law, which is expected to pass, would take effect next year. Large retailers will have about six months to phase out the plastic bags, and smaller retailers will have a year.

Read More: http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/loc...

• gingin6 2013/06/29 23:25:22
    gingin6
    Not if they going to make us pay to store the bought food. I understand this is a green act but there must be another way to do this than to just make people buy their own storage for the groceries they buy. How about using those boxes they get from the foods they purchased for the consumers. They could put them flat and customers could reset the box for their goods to be purchased. This was done in on town I went to and we went out with all the stuff exposed. I had extra bags in the car and stored them. But reusing bags only last so long until you have to purchased them which I find rediculous.
  • JC 2013/06/29 23:13:20
    JC
    but they should discourage them...
  • TasselLady 2013/06/26 21:16:54
    TasselLady
    For people like myself who have arthritis and other things, handles really help me to take groceries into the house. It's difficult for me to lift paper bags full of stuff. Anything to make life hell for other people.
  • democoach 2013/06/26 20:23:05
    democoach
    +1
    Ban green nazis yes
  • Michael 2013/06/26 18:27:47
    Michael
    +2
    No Government needs to stop controlling our lives. Thats why Obama deserves to be thrown out of office, along with his dictators.
  • TomB205 2013/06/26 18:26:29
    TomB205
    +1
    I'm assuming the reason why they want to ban them is because they are less biodegradable then their paper counterparts. Maybe, instead of banning them, they should set up some sort of free recycling program, where people could drop off their used bags to be recycled. Many large supermarkets in my area already have a similar program.

I personally work at a small grocery store, where we have two main reasons for preferring plastic bags over paper. The first is that while plastic bags cost about 1/5th of a cent, paper bags cost 11 cents per bag. One paper bag costs about as much as 55 plastic bags. Notice how you don't pay for the bags you use when leaving the store. It is much cheaper to use plastic. Also, they are simply easier to use. They can be put in these easy to use dispensers like the one in the photo, where when you pull one bag off, the next bag is ready to have stuff put in it. We have to unfold each individual paper bag, which really does slow us down, and cause delays at the check-out lanes.

If a recycling program were created, with the cooperation of the local citizens, the entire problem could be eliminated.
  • Witkh13 2013/06/26 18:13:11
    Witkh13
    A great reason to avoid living in California altogether. Though funny considering the majority of Californians in this poll appear to be saying "no".
  • LeroyRogers 2013/06/26 17:48:44
    LeroyRogers
    +1
    most people re-use the bags for other purposes. the amount of trash by plastic bags if relatively low, especially when compared to cigarette butts. millions upon millions of them thrown on the ground every day.
  • johnnyg 2013/06/26 17:37:15
    johnnyg
    +2
    It should be up to the store to stop stocking them, and it should be up to the shopper to stop using them.
  • Not A Crybaby Richard <3Fre... 2013/06/26 16:19:59 (edited)
    Not A Crybaby Richard <3Freedom!
    No, anything else is way too expensive to produce and usually gets ripped easily. I do approve of potato starch bags though.
  • Michael S. 2013/06/26 16:01:52 (edited)
    Michael S.
    +2
    "Should cities ban...?"
    Unless the sentence ends with something like "arbitrary legislation" or "politicians," the answer is "NO!"
  • DeeB 2013/06/26 14:38:55
    DeeB
    +4
    Stop the damned banning.
  • Not A C... DeeB 2013/06/26 16:21:03 (edited)
    Not A Crybaby Richard <3Freedom!
    +2
    applause

Thanks, someone really had to say that... :)
  • DeeB Not A C... 2013/06/26 17:19:44
    DeeB
    +2
    Thanks, I am just sick and tired of government telling us what we can or cannot use, eat, do etc.!!
  • Commander McBragg 2013/06/26 14:33:23
    Commander McBragg
    +2
    I am one of the few people who cares enough to recycle them. I simply put them aside and bring them back to the store next time I grocery shop. If everyone did this, than the bag issue would not be an issue at all. But most people say I am an idealist and I should not bother because nobody else does. I also voted for Ron Paul. Do I see a pattern here?
  • Aoife 2013/06/26 12:16:34 (edited)
    Aoife
    I almost wish there was a third option on this issue as I'm rather split. The details about what bags will replace the plastic ones are sparing in the article, but I'm led to believe that it will either be brown paper bags or strong arming people into the eco-friendly, reusable bags.

You'd need to expect that a vast majority of Los Angelenos would commit to using 4 or 5 of the reusable bags rather than paper bags (and I suppose that 10 cents/paper bag is a good incentive albeit a little outrageous).

It's commendable, given the time it takes a plastic bag to biodegrade and the harm plastic bags cause to wildlife and natural ecosystems, however it's a tad outlandish to charge 10 cents for every brown bag. Then again, brown bags are just as rubbish as plastic bags for the environment. It'd just be nicer if the local government didn't have to force people into taking care of their natural landscape, I suppose.
  • John Duffy III 2013/06/26 08:08:14
    John Duffy III
    +1
    Yes, I rather use paper bags instead of plastic because it has more fiber and it's more stronger to carry, plus paper bags are excellent to recycle!
  • Nicholas DeShane 2013/06/26 06:09:30
    Nicholas DeShane
    +1
    They get caught in the wind, sometimes make it to the ocean where endangered wild sea turtles mistake them for jelly fish eat them and die a horribly painful death. Banning them would not be necessary if people were actually responsible but too many are not.
  • chicagosjentleone 2013/06/26 03:10:24 (edited)
    chicagosjentleone
    +2
    They did here in Austin, TX. We had to buy a bunch of special bags for simple grocery shopping. Money I would have rathered spent on food.

They still sell garbage bags, lunch baggies, plastic ware, etc.
  • missa chicago... 2013/06/26 14:46:40
    missa
    There have been plenty of times I did not buy what I wanted from the store because I forgot my bags and didnt want to pay for more.
  • chicago... missa 2013/06/26 16:24:01
    chicagosjentleone
    Exactly! Just cracks me up that most comments are about aesthetics and that's why they support it. Well I'd rather it be about the environment. Then I could see why we are doing it. Still wouldn't like it but the reason is about how it looks...cracks me up.
  • byz 2013/06/26 01:55:37
    byz
    +2
    I reuse every plastic bag I get. If they ban plastic bags at the supermarket I would just have to buy plastic bags specially for use as trash can liners and cleaning the cat's litter box. What savings would that be?
  • LourdesO byz 2013/06/26 18:43:40
    LourdesO
    That's true.
  • FlyGalsMom 2013/06/26 01:40:15
    FlyGalsMom
    +1
    YES ~ I am tired of all sorts of bags hanging on the trees and in the water where wildlife may try and eat them~
  • LourdesO 2013/06/26 00:43:57 (edited)
    LourdesO
    +3
    I reuse the plastic bags every single day, for the garbage, the kitchen and for my daycare during craft time, diaper changing, laundry, etc. They are not single use, at least not at my home.
  • sodabox 2013/06/26 00:03:34 (edited)
    sodabox
    +2
    As long as you aren't dumping them at sea, they aren't a problem. Also, they are recyclable. What is the proposed alternative? Paper? That would be worse.

sea dumping
  • Cliff sodabox 2013/06/30 01:20:15
    Cliff
    Well no they create issues with landfills as well and coastal areas. Where do you imagine that plastic on that beach originated???Dumping at sea has been done for decades and all rivers lead to the sea. Paper pulp is renewable and biodegradable and assimilated naturally into water and soil and does not necessitate the processing of petroleum. For each and every plastic bottle used thee equivalent of 1/4 of its volume in OIL is used in its production, distribution, carting and recycling. Plastic was simply designed for profit and profit is blind. Glass is heavier. But glass is made from sand.
  • sodabox Cliff 2013/07/01 03:30:23
    sodabox
    Plastic can be made from renewable oils. Landfill plastic is not a problem as long as the landfill is not in a flood zone - it would never reach the sea.
  • sammanilla 2013/06/25 22:27:36
    sammanilla
    +3
    Plastic use was started to save trees. Guess we're abandoning tree now.

But cockroaches still feast on paper and have gone home with shoppers in their paper bags.

It's foolish to ban plastic grocery bags not only for the above reasons but also because new plastic products are coming out daily; are you going to ban those too?

Banning plastic bags is stupid.
  • Cliff sammanilla 2013/06/30 01:26:10
    Cliff
    Plastic was created to save MONEY for businesses. Plastic was not designed to save trees. Who pays for the paper bags? The business owner not the consumer. It's a convenient and PC argument that my bank wants to "save trees" by stopping sending me a paper statement but that's a load of Horse S%&T.
  • Bocephus 2013/06/25 21:35:00
  • Bulanova (Team Hargitay) 2013/06/25 20:05:12
    Bulanova (Team Hargitay)
    +4
    Those bags are extremely handy. I use them to line my small trash cans and they come free with the groceries. When I get too many, I bring them back to the store, which has a recycle bin for the bags in the entrance. It's really not hard, no extra trips, no money wasted on buying bags for the bins. It's yet another thing I'm using responsibly but will ultimately have taken away because a few others refuse to be responsible. Thanks a lot.
  • william keegan 2013/06/25 19:49:08
    william keegan
    +1
    What country do we live in? Is the USA not a "free" society? People should be able to do what they think best.
  • johnnyg william... 2013/06/26 17:41:40
    johnnyg
    NO. The USA is a nanny state. USGovt knows how to run your life better than you can. We are to stupid to run our lives, so our nanny will run our lives for us.
  • william... johnnyg 2013/06/26 19:04:10
    william keegan
    +1
    Needless to say, this abomination has its genesis in California! The most nanny of all of the nanny states. Why is it that states with a majority of liberals always seem to think that the government always knows what is best and that the people are incapable of a cogent thought process?
  • Daffodils Lament 2013/06/25 17:23:56
    Daffodils Lament
    Improper care of re-usable grocery bags can cause illness, switching to solely paper bags will cause a marked increase in deforestation and adversely affect fresh air. So what I'm saying is this: I believe that in our current state of affairs, good health and fresh air outweigh the drawbacks of using plastic grocery bags.
  • Cookie Monster 2013/06/25 17:03:45
  • Jimm 2013/06/25 17:01:13
    Jimm
    +2
    I realize they are an eco-nightmare...however....I'm so sick of the government deciding what''s good for me, what I can and can't have, what I should and shouldn't do!!
  • LourdesO Jimm 2013/06/26 01:10:53
    LourdesO
    +1
    The problem is that the government is usually in charge of collect and dispose of our garbage and in addition to that the ecologists groups go to the government to complain about the pollution and the damage that it is bringing, that places the government in the position to be in charge of taking the decisions.
  • Cliff Jimm 2013/06/30 01:28:23
    Cliff
    How about agreeing with your government and the rest of "THE PEOPLE" that it's a good idea and we're in this together.

2014/08/21 18:09:37