Do You Think Canceling White House Tours Is a Good Way to Save Money?

ABC News U.S. 2013/03/07 22:00:00
Related Topics: White House, Money, Tours, House
Hundreds of school kids who have dreamed of visiting the White House on their spring break are now dealing with disappointment. Their plans have been dashed.

Less than 24 hours after the Obama administration canceled all White House tours indefinitely, parents and children from across the country have been speaking out about their frustration with Washington’s sequester.

Their message to lawmakers? “The White House is our house! Please let us visit!” chanted a group of a dozen 6th graders from Waverly, Iowa, on a call with ABC News’ Jonathan Karl.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/03/kids-...

• Big One 0909 2013/03/26 02:14:36
    Big One 0909
    no, it is a good way to politicise the budget cuts and make them as painful as possible so they can blame those wascally wepubwicans.

Playing political games with what';s good for the country. It is disgusting.
  • ivegotloveinmypants 2013/03/19 11:09:32
    ivegotloveinmypants
    Of course not! This is an administration that is sending money to the Muslim Brotherhood, and cancelling WH tours! this is unfair! There are other things that could be cut! The people put the President in the WH- they deserve to be able to come!
  • Wolf 2013/03/17 16:06:25
    Wolf
    You really do not want people to see what goes on in this house ---
  • DavidK Wolf 2013/03/31 18:28:10
    DavidK
    Sad, but true.
  • Frank 2013/03/13 17:42:04
    Frank
    Did they cancel the white house parties???????? What a pathetic administration....
  • ivegotl... Frank 2013/03/19 11:21:24
    ivegotloveinmypants
    +1
    I am going to have to agree with you. People all around me don't seem to understand how to cut things. You start with the excess, then you move to the things that my hurt. I didn't support Mitt Romney, but he had the right idea. He started (I don't know where) by cutting the expensive meals at one project he was in charge of. You are right in mentioning the WH parties should go first.
  • LeroyRogers 2013/03/13 17:41:46
    LeroyRogers
    just obama and the liberals trying to scare people. the sequester cuts are cut in future spending, spending that will still go up. instead of raising spending on x by 15%, they're only going to raise spending on x by 10%. $85 billion out of a $3.6 trillion budget-a trillion is 1000 billion. if the obama supporters were smart enough to do the math, they would see that equals a family spending $3600 having to cut their budget by $85 a month.

liberals-lie, scare, blame, tax, spend. that's all they know how to do.
  • ivegotl... LeroyRo... 2013/03/19 11:22:05
    ivegotloveinmypants
    The sequester is only a small part of the GDP, I am told. But...doen't everyone tax in every country?
  • LeroyRo... ivegotl... 2013/03/19 21:25:54 (edited)
    LeroyRogers
    under obama, less and less people pay tax, while the one's that do pay more. more people on food stamps now that ever in history.

obama so loves poor people that he created millions more obama has more people on food stamps
  • ivegotl... LeroyRo... 2013/03/22 11:18:17
    ivegotloveinmypants
    Yes, I think he needs to review his jobs policies so that those on food stamps are converted back into taxpayers.
  • LeroyRo... ivegotl... 2013/03/22 21:29:37
    LeroyRogers
    keep 'em on the free money, get the votes.
  • PapaBC 2013/03/13 15:13:13
    PapaBC
    Better to cancel all those WH vacations first.
  • dispatcher 2013/03/13 13:11:53
    dispatcher
    +1
    what B.S it's not even his house it belongs to the WE THE PEOPLE and the cost factor is a joke compared to what mooooooochellle spends every week.. All they are doing is blaming the republicans and taking it out on all the citizens. If they have to cut tours to save money why not cut all obamas vacations !!!!
  • ivegotl... dispatcher 2013/03/19 11:22:55
    ivegotloveinmypants
    I agree with your point about the people, but not the insults to Michelle Obama. I think that the excesses should have been cut first, before taking on the people's WH.
  • dispatcher ivegotl... 2013/03/19 20:08:43
    dispatcher
    It was not meant to be rude or insulting to anyone else.. sorry your offended it's just that she goes out spending AMERICAN HARD WORKING TAX PAYING MONEY THAT IS YOURS & MINE , on nonsense and she is now in the midst of planning a birthday bash with the top entertainment of Beyonce & Adele, it's not secret this party they are palnning leaked out to the press & well you could only imagine how BIG & EXTRAVAGENT this will be and we are not invited.. HMMMMMM so I say again WHY DON'T THEY PULL THE PLUG ON THEIR SPENDING inside our WH for stuff like this...
  • ivegotl... dispatcher 2013/03/22 11:23:11
    ivegotloveinmypants
    Okay, I respect your opinion: but doesn't every First Lady spend in this way? That is why I am loath to criticise her, although I wish she would use her own money. But then, she did quit her job (I don't know why).
  • justagirl 2013/03/13 13:02:53
    justagirl
    How about canceling golf games and vacations for a while? Who in the H-E double hockey sticks do these people currently sitting in a position that my puppy would be more qualified for, think they are?
  • Bronar 2013/03/13 11:30:51
    Bronar
    Smoke and mirrors, like our president.
  • ivegotl... Bronar 2013/03/19 11:26:57 (edited)
    ivegotloveinmypants
    A funny exaggeration. But I am not pleased about this development. Money is still going to the Muslim Brotherhood, a group trying to sweet talk the world abut their good intentions whilst takign away the secular and fre nature of Egypt. Read about it in Commentary Magazine. (And I am an Independent who supported Obama in Novermber 2012).
  • Bronar ivegotl... 2013/03/19 13:15:23
    Bronar
    +1
    I don't need to read about it. Or country borrows from the Chinese to spend on the Arab Spring so they can continue their ways of subjugating different religions and women.
  • ivegotl... Bronar 2013/03/22 11:24:15
    ivegotloveinmypants
    +1
    That is the EXACT nature of the Commentary Magazine.
  • Soundstorm 2013/03/13 08:33:50
    Soundstorm
    If this extravagant government is ever going to cut back on spending for anything for the first time in human history let it start on some of its totally useless functions before it ever considers closing off the White House to American citizens. Like the Dept. of Energy, Dept. of Education, Dept. of Transportation, Dept. of Commerce, HUD, EPA, NPR......
  • ivegotl... Soundstorm 2013/03/19 11:27:53
    ivegotloveinmypants
    True. the ones who say they are helping the people, suddenly report huge losses and ask for a massive bailout.
  • Sunnydaydreamer 2013/03/13 03:54:55
  • Manuel 2013/03/13 03:20:08
    Manuel
    +1
    Sure...the right was making such a big deal out of it....so every bit helps...
  • Soundstorm Manuel 2013/03/13 08:27:14
    Soundstorm
    +1
    We the taxpayers own the White House. And we're not the ones running the economy into the ground.
  • Manuel Soundstorm 2013/03/13 08:42:44
    Manuel
    First off...the rich are the one's running the economy into the ground. If you haven't figure that out by now....your hopeless...
  • Soundstorm Manuel 2013/03/13 08:49:45
    Soundstorm
    +3
    The rich aren't the ones running up a trillion in deficit spending every year. Only Obama's government is doing that. And you're calling ME hopeless?

laughing smiley face gif
  • ivegotl... Soundstorm 2013/03/19 11:30:01
    ivegotloveinmypants
    But many of the wealthy were responsible for the crash in 2008- remember thos unscrupulous speculators that gambled with people's money? The over-reliance on the financial sector?
  • LeroyRo... Manuel 2013/03/13 17:44:54
    LeroyRogers
    it amazes me that liberals are stupid enough to think that the millionaires in congress know whats best for the average working stiff. did you know that out of the top 10 richest people in congress, 9 of them are democRATS? it was 10 of the top 10 until ted "the drunken murderer" kennedy finally died.
  • illinoyed LeroyRo... 2013/03/14 03:11:46
    illinoyed
    I thought it was conservatives who believed millionaires were smarter and better than the average working stiff and so deserved to tell the rest of us what's best.

I've never heard a liberal say that, only conservatives.
  • LeroyRo... illinoyed 2013/03/14 13:24:20
    LeroyRogers
    it's the liberals that need the government to tell them how to live every aspect of their lives, not conservatives. we're capable of running our own lives.
  • Grammar... illinoyed 2013/03/15 22:32:25
    Grammar Freak
    Neoconservatives.
    Not Conservatives.
    Conservatives don't want anything to do with people's private business while Neoconservatives want nothing more than to force everyone to live the way THEY want them to live.
    Please don't get the two confused. Neoconservatives often misidentify themselves... either out of pure ignorance or to mislead the general public.
    They are a blight on our nation & cause us true Conservatives to constantly roll our eyes.
  • illinoyed Grammar... 2013/03/16 17:46:17
    illinoyed
    Really? But I thought the conservatives had been taken over by the Neoconservatives, the Neos were running the show and all conservatives were expected to stay in lock step with them.
  • Grammar... illinoyed 2013/03/16 20:14:35
    Grammar Freak
    There are loads of us around... & we not represented anymore.
    Ron Paul is a Conservative Libertarian & look what the Republican Party did to him... out of pure fear.

I refuse to lock in step with ANYone.
    The sheeple can follow the multi-bazillion-dollar marketing agencies. Not I.
  • illinoyed Grammar... 2013/03/17 03:03:02
    illinoyed
    Third party? You know the Republicans will never allow a Libertarian to become president. Why do you caucus with them?
  • Grammar... illinoyed 2013/03/17 03:22:32
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    I'm not interested in "parties" because they inevitably become corrupt. I think that people need to support the individual, not another corporation. The candidates who ran in the last election & were ostracized by the "parties," & their successors, need to be taken into account by their records, not another institution to be corrupted.

...just a thought (as has been said by others).
  • ivegotl... Manuel 2013/03/19 11:29:01
    ivegotloveinmypants
    But should that be one of the first things they cut? Think about it. This is the dream of many American children. Why couldn't some other things go first? It's not the kids fault their government failed to avert the sequester....
  • raine 2013/03/13 02:29:36
    raine
    +1
    I heard a news program that said the security guards cost an exorbitant amount and that was the savings. My idea-->>>. Make the house the peoples house and let the president live in a small cottage next door like they do for the person running a church. Then not so much security is needed and president can still use the big house for entertaining political guests when people are not allowed in there. Cut salaries of all politicians until only the true patriots want the jobs..
  • Lee raine 2013/03/13 13:02:28
    Lee
    All of the security at the WH are on salary. They will still be getting payed.

2014/09/01 18:59:07