Do you think America, as a whole, treats its elderly poorly?

Moderated 2009/11/08 14:41:46

• Kanaka Rican - Now's the ti... 2009/11/08 19:14:38
    Yes Belle
    Kanaka Rican - Now's the time for ACTION
    +14
    I don't think our society as a whole teaches the value of respecting our elderly anymore....we are surrounded by ads promoting the newest thing we need to make our lives better, or movies and music which sex, drugs and distasteful views are the norm to our young people...our society is fighting for the rights of others while jerking real values out of our schools and our nation....we are becoming a demoralized society and respect and dignity are words you need to look up in the dictionary now.

Our elderly should and deserve to be treated as rare jewels...our key to history and wisdom. The Bible tells us to honor or parents....take a look around you...how many young people have no problem telling an adult where to stick it if they don't agree with them? How many younger adult will have no problem sitting down in their seat while an elderly person is standing up? Jerry Springer, reality television, music videos are all promoters of anger, the shock factor and discontent for everyone who does not see things their way? This is a "Me" society...how I feel, what I need....

The Bible gives us lessons on love for others, living for something larger than our selves....this society tells us that it's all about ourselves.

So my answer is YES...as a whole, we treat our elderly poorly

• rockindog jverlok 2009/11/10 17:37:05
    rockindog
    so tell me where's "Jimmy" . If it wasn't for that progressive you monkey wheelers would be in soup lines . only the people that work when they don't have are the ones that have no life outside work. .don't worry the trucking industry won't miss one redneck and the boys will be glad to see the last of your conservative ass
  • Deela rockindog 2012/04/15 20:13:52
    Deela
    +3
    Construction worker. Figures.
  • Deela rockindog 2012/04/15 20:11:45
    Deela
    +3
    Good Lord, Rock. You are a dumbass. Read your own rabling ignorant idocies.
  • Deela rockindog 2012/04/15 20:10:35
    Deela
    +1
    Wrong. Nazis were LEFT WING extremists, like communists, like Stalines, like the Islamic Brotherhood, like Al Queda. Get your FACTS together, Rockindog. Learn some history.
  • Lisa~in... jverlok 2009/11/09 01:11:41
    Lisa~in~Texas
    Amen jverlok! I hate it when i see people calling older people 'sweetie' or something as if they are invalids. People well into their 70s can be very productive. They are hardly babies.
  • Deela rockindog 2012/04/15 19:49:11
    Deela
    +2
    Bush did not sign any bills. Not sure that's relevant. By not signing any bills, he did not put restrictions on the elderly; did not remove benefits as Obama is doing. Fact. Look it up. Did not decrease cost of medicare as Obama is doing. Fact. Look it up. Did not cut the amount of money that doctors are paid to treat the elderly as Obama did. Another fact. Look it up. As for vets, under the conservative policies, there was an economy where the vets could get jobs. Look up unemployment numbers. Also less regulations so they could start their own business. Another hit from Obama these past three years. Let's see, how the left treats us poorly. Well, just read above. Rights and benefits have been removed or reduced. All accusations that you have made rockindog, are proven and in readable format even on government sites. If you don't want to read the statistical facts, as most liberals don't, then fine. That's your right. But when they are there and undisputable and you don't want to take the time to acknowledge them or try and refute them, then keep you head burried in the quicksand and keep voting ignorantly.
  • laureenf 2009/11/08 18:53:42
    laureenf
    +2
    Most Americans take care of their elderly, family members...the ones that really need the social programs are the ones that are estranged from their kids or had no children. All-in-all, the most damage done to the elderly, is telling the last couple of generations that the government will take care of them, thus diverting the responsibility of the family. Sad...
  • ♥☮καγια☮♥ 2009/11/08 18:53:03
    Yes Belle
    ♥☮καγια☮♥
    +2
    It pretty much goes both ways. Some are nice, the ones with manners and good parents who taught them right, and the ones who treat them poorly. They have the bad parents who either beat them or didn't do anything to them when they were bad. belle pretty ways manners parents taught treat parents beat
  • Franklin ♥☮καγια☮♥ 2009/11/08 18:57:00
    Franklin
    +1
    Thats kind of “dated” you are talking about how individuals treat their parents but the whole idea of parents is getting pretty weak , with 7 out of 10 children now coming from single parent homes and state funded single mothers being the heartless bitches they tend to be the idea of personal relationships is something for a museum ....along with independence , liberty , self reliance and America as first world nation.
  • Fannie 2009/11/08 18:49:30 (edited)
    Yes Belle
    Fannie
    +2
    No doubt about it! And alot of us are going in debt to help our parents stay afloat.
    Not to mention the increase of physcial and verbal abuse they are getting.
  • Nate SD 2009/11/08 18:49:29
    No Belle
    Nate SD
    +1
    America's elderly have it made.
  • Doodypoot Nate SD 2009/11/08 19:29:43
    Doodypoot
    +1
    Elaborate, please
  • Nate SD Doodypoot 2009/11/08 21:10:38
    Nate SD
    They get four times more out of medicare and social security than they pay in.
  • Doodypoot Nate SD 2009/11/08 21:20:54
    Doodypoot
    +1
    check again at the 50 or 60 years they put into it...and the time left that they have to take out of it.
  • Compass... Nate SD 2009/11/08 21:26:34
    Compassionate Christian
    And yet that same money invested in the private sector would have yielded even greater returns. But instead of being permitted to invest the monies on their own they were forced to take part in a program that has a very poor Return on Investment.
  • imotley Nate SD 2009/11/08 19:38:36
    imotley
    +2
    Please, please tell me, as a senior, how I have it made!
  • Nate SD imotley 2009/11/08 21:11:47
    Nate SD
    see comment above
  • Doodypoot imotley 2009/11/08 21:18:40
    Doodypoot
    +1
    I know it's hard. The young people think they are bullet proof.I would really like to be around to see them get their comeuppance. And make no mistake, it WILL be waaaay harder on them. Big Brother is just regularly chomping away at any benefits that seniors have now...and that ain't much. So, in a way, compared to how bad it will be for them by the time they are seniors, maybe the elderly do have it made. I'm 50 years old. While not yet a senior, I'm close enough to be scared to pieces looking ahead.
  • Compass... Nate SD 2009/11/08 20:35:17
    Compassionate Christian
    +1
    Add my name to those who would like to know how America's elderly have it made.
  • Nate SD Compass... 2009/11/08 21:12:00
    Nate SD
    again see comment above.
  • Jannbana 2009/11/08 18:38:33
    Yes Belle
    Jannbana
    +2
    unfortunately yes
  • Fingon Celebrindal 2009/11/08 18:37:40 (edited)
    Fingon Celebrindal
    +2
    I can't comment I perhaps do not understand you guys completely. But yes you treat your elderly very differently though from what we have in our society.
  • marcuss....PHART 2009/11/08 18:36:58
    Yes Belle
    marcuss....PHART
    +3
    instead of taking care of illegal aliens needs the focus needs to be on our own people like the military veterans.
  • Turtle72 2009/11/08 18:35:07
    Yes Belle
    Turtle72
    +1
    But I think America as a whole treat each other in general poorly. I think that the only time America ever comes together is when something from outside America happens to us. We are in fight right now with each other here its Democrat VS. Republicans. Sounds like Whites VS. Blacks, Whites VS. Native Americans, sounds to me like America itself just can't come to terms with each other.
  • Undecided
    zareal ♫♥☻☺♪the first and the last♪☺☻♥ ♫
    +1
    depends on what you mean by america weather government or as people
  • Edward Barrera 2009/11/08 18:29:38
    Yes Belle
    Edward Barrera
    +1
    It's easy to forget that we too will get old and infirm if we ignore those who are old and infirm. If you're taught that it's all about 'me,' you're not going to really care about 'them.'
  • Compass... Edward ... 2009/11/08 20:37:02
    Compassionate Christian
    And unfortunately in the Schools where I live any child can tell you their 'rights' but few even know what the word 'responsibility' means.
  • grumpy 2009/11/08 18:23:48
    No Belle
    grumpy
    +1
    Seniors are respected and taken care of very ell in his society as a senior I've never looked back and am thankful for what society has offered before and during my retirement
  • Jersey-Gurl 2009/11/08 17:53:00
    Yes Belle
    Jersey-Gurl
    +1
    and we really shouldnt
  • peace & rock 1247 2009/11/08 17:24:55
    Yes Belle
    peace & rock 1247
    +1
    yes its sad how they treat them they sould be trested better dont you think????
  • Pegasis 2009/11/08 17:23:16
    Yes Belle
    Pegasis
    +2
    Indeed we do mistreat our elderly! We warehouse them in nursing homes and scream at the staff for the way they are doing the job we don't want to do.

I cannot tell you the number of times a senior has said to me, "I can either buy food or I can buy medicine. I can't do both." In the past few years this has eased somewhat, but it is businesses who stepped up to the plate, not government.

We have passed legislation designed to force them into nursing homes instead of giving them the support they need to remain in their homes for a far longer period of time.

I could stand on a soap box and preach sermons about this issue...
  • crstrode 2009/11/08 17:22:58
    Yes Belle
    crstrode
    +2
    The House voted to cut medicare and raise taxes on the elderly last night.

I guess the majority of America (they elected these bastards) hates the elderly.

http://carlstrode.blogspot.co...

elderly guess majority america elected bastards hates elderly httpcarlstrode blogspot
  • rebmama 2009/11/08 17:07:59
    Yes Belle
    rebmama
    +1
    Merchandise, entertainment, nearly everything is geared toward the young, middle-aged to older people are disrespected, and the elderly are warehoused in nursing "homes".
  • freedom 2009/11/08 16:40:10
    Yes Belle
    freedom
    +1
    Young people disregard old people all the time as being "creepy".
  • medwreck 2009/11/08 16:22:35
    Yes Belle
    medwreck
    +1
    Nursing homes are the invention of lazy, selfish Protestant douchebags.
  • Treasure ♥ijm♥ 2009/11/08 16:14:05
    Yes Belle
    Treasure ♥ijm♥
    +3
    I don't think our elderly people get the love and respect that they deserve. My dad is in a nursing home and I see some of the staff not treating some of the elderly in the manner that they deserve to be treated. It is so sad! We are ALL going to be elderly someday.... I love elderly people and always take time to speak to them, talk to them and listen to them. They have so many stories to tell and are so much wiser than me....
    they deserve more than they get, in my opinion.

love elderly people speak talk listen stories wiser deserve opinion
  • nightlight 2009/11/08 15:30:13
    Yes Belle
    nightlight
    +2
    Yes. I was talking to a technician at the ATT customer service/help number one day and I suddenly and inexplanably developed some sort of weird problem swallowing and was having difficulty talking. At one point, the technician asked me how old I was, and when I told him, his response was "WOWWWWWWW!!!!!." as if he couldn't beliieve that anyone my age would still be alive! At first, I was very put off by this but later I found it immensely amusing.
  • QueliKelly 2009/11/08 15:22:13
    QueliKelly
    +1
    not particularly, in comparison to other countries. the one thing that does bother me is how we try to weasle our way out of giving them health benefits, even when they are war veterans. my grandfather fought in two wars and the only thing he got from the "patriots" was a big flag for his coffin.
  • Kate 2009/11/08 15:11:16
    Kate
    +1
    Actually Belle, I think it depends on which part of the country/culture you come from. I've lived all over the world and have found that in certain cultures especially southern, black, hispanic & asian, the elderly are revered and cared for much better. These cultures have large extended families and they tend to share responsibility for caring for their elderly. I also see it in the Italian community in my part of NY.
  • Gun665 2009/11/08 15:10:22

2014/11/26 15:14:57