Do You Support Strict Fertility Laws?

Fef 2012/04/18 21:02:33
Strict (European)
Moderate (American)
Unregulated (Ron Paul)
Europe has very strict fertility laws (compared to America). Some examples include bans on egg and sperm donation, artificial insemination and in vitro fertilization, or IVF, to conceive, and many European nations require couples to marry before any fertility treatments.

“These laws are completely out of date,” said Dr. Francoise Shenfield, a fertility expert at University College London. “It’s a medical treatment and the decision to treat should be up to doctors,” not judges, said Shenfield, an ethics expert for the European Society for Human Reproduction and Embryology.

But don't expect the European fertility laws to change anytime soon:
Recent attempts to change the laws have so far failed. Last November, the European Court of Human Rights upheld an Austrian regulation that forbids using sperm and egg donors for IVF.More than three decades after Britain produced the world's first test-tube baby, Europe is a patchwork of restrictions for people who need help having a child.

Read More: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/apr/13/fe...

• Sour Dime 2012/04/18 21:04:55
    Unregulated (Ron Paul)
    Sour Dime
    +5
    No there shouldnt be laws about fertility or preventing fertility the government is then getting too involved

• disclaimer 2012/04/21 07:42:42
    Moderate (American)
    disclaimer
    I chose this because I really don't know Europe or Ron Paul's stance on the matter. But I'm guessing neither one of them is doing it right.
  • Mark 2012/04/20 16:55:01
    Strict (European)
    Mark
    I am not sure about this.
    I know that my neice was concieved by IVF. Sperm donation was widespread until anonimity was lifted as is egg donation.
    And widening the debate further, I am fairly sure that I recall (when GWB was in office) that there was cloning research & embryonic stem cell research which was highly regulated but allowed and completely banned in USA. I could be wrong and willing to be corrected on these.
  • Tennessee3501 2012/04/19 22:11:25
    Unregulated (Ron Paul)
    Tennessee3501
    I stand with Ron Paul on this issue. I do not stand with him on his foreign policy views!
  • Mark In Irvine 2012/04/19 03:54:32
    Strict (European)
    Mark In Irvine
    i think that there are enough babies who need parents that adoption should be able to provide for infertile couples who want kids ... good money is being spent on indulging people who should (IMHO) accept that reproduction just ain't gonna happen for them ...
  • Vitalani 2012/04/19 02:38:44
    Moderate (American)
    Vitalani
    The government needs to stay the f*ck off of, out of, and AWAY from OUR reproductive organs!

I only chose moderate because I am not educated in this field and I'm sure someone could probably give me a few examples of instances where it should be regulated. Although I can't think of any at the moment.
  • cddjmikey Vitalani 2012/04/19 15:45:56
    cddjmikey
    Have you heard of the Octomom ? Got the funds to have the procedure done from a lawsuit but STILL has no job that could properly support her and her now family of 14 kids !!!!! She was hoping for and almost got a reality show until her circumstances were discovered and public sentiment turned on her so heavily that no channel would touch her fearing a black hole of ratings !!
  • Earthly Resident 2012/04/19 00:57:14
    Moderate (American)
    Earthly Resident
    i've not yet done enough research on the specifics of the laws in question to properly form an opinion on the matter
  • blissful 2012/04/19 00:21:03
    Strict (European)
    blissful
    +2
    I think that they have a good Idea!! This way people like octimom won't be able to do such stupid things..
  • Gregaj7 2012/04/19 00:16:53
    Unregulated (Ron Paul)
    Don't contract.
  • Leah 2012/04/18 22:57:12
    Moderate (American)
    Leah
    As long as everyone is safe, anyone should be able to use fertility treatments. It should have to be done by a doctor, though.
  • Amarie 2012/04/18 22:53:08
    Unregulated (Ron Paul)
    Amarie
    +2
    This falls into the realm of non of the government's business.
  • Riobhca 2012/04/18 22:43:07 (edited)
    Strict (European)
    Riobhca
    +2
    Finally the EU got something right. Usually I am against more government control, but too many are abusing the system we have now against all common sense and common decency.
  • redhorse29 2012/04/18 21:50:24
    Unregulated (Ron Paul)
    redhorse29
    +1
    I think the liberal progressive socialist elitist need to put back in their plush university and media offices and told to leave the rest of the world alone.
  • Lady Wh... redhorse29 2012/04/18 22:31:49
    "I think the CONSERVATIVE, REGRESSIVE gop elitist need to put back in their plush university and media offices and told to leave the rest of the world alone..."

SOUNDS MUCH BETTER
  • Rubyking 2012/04/18 21:47:31
    Unregulated (Ron Paul)
    Rubyking
    yup
  • ZB 2012/04/18 21:38:34
    Moderate (American)
    ZB
    And leave it alone.
  • cddjmikey 2012/04/18 21:38:02
    Strict (European)
    cddjmikey
    +2
    I don't know about as strict as theirs but we definately need more then we have now. We don't need another Octomom !! Before implantation of embryos they need to make SURE the person can support the children in a decent fashion.
  • Joe77 2012/04/18 21:30:07
    Moderate (American)
    Joe77
    I'd say if there's a way to help some one to have children when they have tried their best and got no results because of not being fertile enough or what have you then why not have that option, as long as the parents are actually willing to go through the process and have the financial means to do it not only to conceive but to support the child til he/she grows up to go on their oown
  • CREW grand 2012/04/18 21:27:28
    Strict (European)
    CREW grand
    +1
    I'd like to see a minimum IQ requirement met before breeding were permitted.

Don
  • Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2012/04/18 21:26:17
    Unregulated (Ron Paul)
    Dan ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    “If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny.”
    - Thomas Jefferson.

We as individuals should decide what fertility treatments are best for us. Not the government.
  • cynsity 2012/04/18 21:22:56
    Moderate (American)
    cynsity
    +1
    If you can afford the treatments then go for it BUT if you can't don't ask me to pay for it .
    As far as what they do in EUROPE... well HELLO what do you think happends when you have government run healthcare the government makes these choices for you and you may not like them
  • Cookielane 2012/04/18 21:16:23
    Moderate (American)
    Cookielane
    +3
    I don't think this as a black and white issue. There's a lot of gray area here. I do think there needs to be some amount of regulation, although, if anyone has the money to have babies through these means, they must have the wherewithall to raise a child.
  • cddjmikey Cookielane 2012/04/18 21:33:20
    cddjmikey
    REALLY ? You must NOT have heard of the Octomom ? She had the money for the procedure from a lawsuit of some kind but is now looking for a place to live because she has no job.
  • Cookielane cddjmikey 2012/04/19 11:29:24
    Cookielane
    Like I said - not a black and white issue.
  • Timetraveler 2012/04/18 21:15:25
    Moderate (American)
    Timetraveler
    I believe if there is monitoring to be done it should be to insure that doctors maintain the honest responsibility to their patients. give honest prices, honest results, and don't wait until your ready to go under the knife to get the real truth about statistics and success rates and failures, you wouldn't buy a car without knowing the exact price. why should these doctors be able to play with the price? and to top off the dishonesty what about the IVF doctor who switched out his sperm for the fathers, and produced 20 children!
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2012/04/18 21:11:59
    Unregulated (Ron Paul)
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +1
    But my personal beliefs are different.
  • abubincrazy 2012/04/18 21:11:01 (edited)
    Unregulated (Ron Paul)
    abubincrazy
    +2
    Government is far too heavy-handed in general.

These morally-challenged money-pits need to step back and stop over-stepping their appointed duties.

I say we hamstring the lot of them. They haven't represented the People for far too long.

We'd be better off if they took a LONG vacation.

But I digress...

It is not the government's business to tell free citizens how to make babies.

Period.
  • Adam 2012/04/18 21:10:51
    Unregulated (Ron Paul)
    Adam
    +2
    Though I believe there should be a law for IVF that they only fertilize those eggs which they intend to implant.
  • Louisa - Enemy of the State 2012/04/18 21:10:18
    Strict (European)
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +2
    Now that it's come to light that some men have fathered hundreds of children, I think this 'sport' needs some regulation for the protection of everyone concerned. I also think that couples should be able to see a picture of the donor because frankly, I've seen some dudes that I would NOT want to be the father of my kids!
  • tpops 2012/04/18 21:09:09
    Unregulated (Ron Paul)
    tpops
    +4
    Another Law, nope we don't need it.
  • Daryl 2012/04/18 21:05:54
    Unregulated (Ron Paul)
    Daryl
    +3
    The only time the government should interfere is to protect innocent human life from annihilation.
  • Fef Daryl 2012/04/18 21:10:08
    Fef
    +1
    Dr. Peter Kreeft, Ph.D., who teaches philosophy at Boston College and at the King's College, similarly describes his anti-abortion position from a philosophical and moral perspective in his book: Three Approaches to Abortion: A Thoughtful and Compassionate Guide to Today's Most Controversial Issue
    philosophical moral perspective book approaches abortion compassionate guide controversial issue
  • Sour Dime 2012/04/18 21:04:55
    Unregulated (Ron Paul)
    Sour Dime
    +5

2014/04/20 16:01:33